• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Or me.

Or...

He is in a minority among critics. So far I've found (contrary to Kermode) that those who are immersed amongst horror really like Hereditary. I wonder how many horror fans that smug git actually spoke to?

And I'm not saying you're smug! I just disagree with you. I truly think But Hereditary is great from the opening scenes of everyday family to the triumphal occult ending with Judy Collins singing Both Sides Now over the end credits.

I'm seeing it again tomorrow night. I will report back on the views of the Dublin Horror Society members who attend the screening.

i like it when people like movies, even when i dont ... but this decades rosemarys baby ... exorcist comparisons ... what a bunch of shill bidding

He is in a minority among critics. So far I've found (contrary to Kermode) that those who are immersed amongst horror really like Hereditary.
There's a couple of other horror critics who feel the same... but, as I'm not a critic, I won't need to defend my opinion as being "right" while everyone else is "wrong" -- clearly this film really works for people, going back to it's festival showings at the start of the year.

I will definitely see it again at some point, to see if my opinion changes... I suspect I'll like better - months of hype didn't help - and it will be fun following the characters and their motivations now knowing the outcome.

Here are Mr Newman's thoughts:
https://johnnyalucard.com/2018/06/13/film-review-hereditary/

Just skimmed it because I didn't want spoilers, but he seems to think it's redeemed by Toni Collette.

Nothing to add about t'fillum but 'alucard' is 'Dracula' backwards. It's an alias used by the great vampire himself in some old movie. Another character doodles the name diagonally (on a business card, in my memory) and rumbles him. It's a fine example of listening to what the subconscious is telling one.

There's a couple of other horror critics who feel the same... but, as I'm not a critic, I won't need to defend my opinion as being "right" while everyone else is "wrong" -- clearly this film really works for people, going back to it's festival showings at the start of the year.

I will definitely see it again at some point, to see if my opinion changes... I suspect I'll like better - months of hype didn't help - and it will be fun following the characters and their motivations now knowing the outcome.

Hype doesn't help.

Bruce Springsteen wasn't "The New Bob Dylan" and being hyped as such damaged him at the outset.

Hereditary isn't The Exorcist and it's not Rosemary's Baby but (imho) it does provide a new synthesis of Horror Tropes.

Hereditary is Hereditary and will stand or fall on it's own merits.

Just remember though: every time someone disses Hereditary Jesus kills a kitten.

I was listening to last week's Front Row (Radio 4) about the 50th anniversary of Rosemary's Baby, and two of the commentators, the Final Girls (UK) women, mentioned The Entity as their idea of a classic horror movie. I found that really interesting, because I've never heard anyone speak of that film in such glowing terms, but when they did it made sense as apt for our times. I don't know if it's classic, but it is a lot better than it's given credit for, until now, it seems. Give it a go, is what I'm saying (before they remake it badly!).

Saw Hereditary again, I'm even more convinced of it's merits Six other people saw it with me, 9/10, 8/10, 8/10, 6/10, one is still mulling it over and another ran off to get his last bus (or maybe he was possessed).

Saw Hereditary again, I'm even more convinced of it's merits Six other people saw it with me, 9/10, 8/10, 8/10, 6/10, one is still mulling it over and another ran off to get his last bus (or maybe he was possessed).
The only horror film I've ever bailed from the cinema on was Predator 2 and that was only because we had to catch the last bus home from Coventry .. I still haven't got a clue how it ends ..

It seems like Hereditary is dividing people like The Blair Witch Project did 20 odd years ago.

It seems like Hereditary is dividing people like The Blair Witch Project did 20 odd years ago.

But Hereditary fans will sacrifice the naysayers at the Summer Solstice. No half measures: their blood will be spilled to honour Lugh.

blair witch project was rather groundbreaking ... come back to this thread in 6 months

This looks like it could be an interesting-ish horror film site that is trying to be both a horror IMDB and a place to find out what films you might not have heard about are out there in horror that matches your personal faves, but it certainly doesn't have the depth of field I'd look for:

https://allhorror.com/

This is the press release that was forwarded to me

AllHorror.com – New Horror Movie Database by Horror Fans, for Horror Fans
PHOENIX, June 19, 2018 /PRNewswire/ -- AllHorror.com, the largest collaborative horror movie discovery website of its kind, is now open to horror fans everywhere.

AllHorror was created by Adrian DeGus, a lifelong fan of horror movies, to provide what no other movie website could. Namely, the ability to find horror movies you're most likely to love.

Horror is a genre that is as deep as it is wide. You have everything from the supernatural to the psychological. You have your slow burns and your wild rides. You have your Hollywood blockbusters and your micro budget indies. You have straight-to-streaming releases and everlasting cult classics.

This vast variety of genres, sub genres and styles make finding a "good" horror movie harder than it might seem. Some people like movies to be scary, others prefer shocking, while others like their horrors to be thought-provoking. And let's not forget that "good" will mean wildly different things to a new or casual fan of horror than it will to a seasoned horror hound.

This puts generic star ratings into perspective. A horror movie might have 8 stars, but what does that mean? How many people who rated the movie share your exact same taste?

AllHorror solves this problem by organizing nearly 7,000 horror movies into 20 separate horror genres (none of which are the common but unhelpful "Horror" or "Thriller"). Some of these horror genres include Supernatural, Slasher, Gore, Classics and Creature Features. In addition to genres, AllHorror further organizes all movies into over 100 horror sub genres including 5 varieties of Haunted House movies, Urban Legends, Mutants, Mind Benders, Wilderness, Road Trips, Medical, Sci-Fi, Religion, Dangerous Exploration and even Internet Horror. AllHorror even offers sub genres to help those with very specific tastes find horror movies about Cars, Elevators, Cursed Images, Urban Decay, Spiders, Splatter, Tourists, Orphans and every kind of Phobia you can think of.

If this unprecedented array of genres and sub genres still leaves you in search of that perfect movie, AllHorror also offers a dozen different movie Styles to sift through. AllHorror styles include Slow Burns, Wild Rides, Hollywood, B-Horror, Cheap Scares, Popcorn Horror, Reboots and Horror Shorts. You can further browse by New Releases, Upcoming Horror and Streaming Horror.

AllHorror offers a unique rating system called "Will You Like It" to help you know beforehand if you're likely to enjoy the movie. This 10-point rating system rates each movie on its concept, its level of suspense, dread, gore, visual effects, story, acting, pace, plausibility and production value.

Finally, as you discover new horror movies you can add them to your own private watchlist or you can create public lists to share.

I thought for a moment they'd remade Tokyo Ghoul in Hollywood. But nope, I've seen this, it's OK but mainly for the fans. Not sure how well it will travel.

HALLOWEEN 2018 trailer .. oh yes .. I can't f*****g wait ! ... we're being told to ignore all of the other films except the original so this is now the true second night ..
not spotted this until now ... looks like a keeper ... this generations Halloween

and co-written by danny KFP mcbride ... who definitely know his horror although by day hes a comic genius

Go on, give a mini-review.

Right then. Firstly, I think if I'd just stumbled across this late on TV one night, I would have thought it was great. However (and I'm noticing this more and more) - the level of hype surrounding it was simply not warranted and I'm annoyed with myself for falling for it. AGAIN. :fire:

However - things I liked: the cinematography was lush and I really loved the way the inside of the models switched with the inside of the house. The acting was excellent (although Gabriel Byrne wasn't great) and I particularly liked Ann Dowd's character. There were several scenes that I found very tense and I did really like the very end scene in the treehouse. That mannequin with the daughter's (?) head on was pretty horrifying, as were the headless bodies in supplication. I thought the scene in the car after the party and the aftermath was also incredibly well-done. I do also like a film about a cult.

Things I didn't like: the things that Henry mentioned; although the first time we saw Annie crouched up in the corner of the room gave me goosebumps; there was something very disturbing about that. I don't know; I just felt that there was nothing particularly new about the film as a whole.

It reminded me of a good few films but mainly of Kill List; that thing about characters (Jay in Kill List, Charlie and Peter in this) not knowing who they actually are and what they mean to others.

Xcellent Xtro review in FT368 from the Rev, it's not a good film, but it is memorable - I can see why it disturbs him, though it might be because it was half-finished so seems more mysterious.

Looks great in the new Blu-ray too, with FOUR versions of the film to watch, which is probably three too many. Not many horrors can boast a scene were Lou Beale from EastEnders is murdered by a 6 foot tall Action Man because she couldn't resist a chocolate.

Xcellent Xtro review in FT368 from the Rev, it's not a good film, but it is memorable - I can see why it disturbs him, though it might be because it was half-finished so seems more mysterious.

Looks great in the new Blu-ray too, with FOUR versions of the film to watch, which is probably three too many. Not many horrors can boast a scene were Lou Beale from EastEnders is murdered by a 6 foot tall Action Man because she couldn't resist a chocolate.
What was that horror film where Harold Bishop from Neighbours was decapitated ? .. I've definitely seen it so it's not my imagination .. I'll see if I can find it ..

edit: I expect it's this one

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0106450/?ref_=nm_knf_i4

.. sweet .. this whole film's on ootoob but Ian Smith lives in this one ?

Last edited:
No, that was Body Melt, which also has someone else from Neighbours in it, the girl who presented Parallel 9 on the BBC, whatever her name was... Sarah something?

Let's not forget Tony from EastEnders was cut in half in Hardware and Angie from EastEnders was murdered by a serial killer in Beyond Bedlam.

A new flick - Boarding School:
A young boy becomes fascinated with the persona of his dead grandmother and is sent to an isolated boarding school for misfits run by a mysterious headmaster and his wife.

Back