• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Watched the Brit horror "Howl" last night.
Quite good fun and a must-watch for anyone who's taken the late train home from Waterloo after a night on the town.
Starts off slowly and gradually gets creepier (and gorier).
A few moments of black humour and some cheeky hat-tips to Dog Soldiers (Sean Pertwee must have had a few flashbacks) and American Werewolf in London.
Clearly not Oscar material, but get a few beers in and this certainly ticks all the boxes.

Just discovered this new one which looks as though it could be good, We Have Always Lived in the Castle. Based on Shirley Jackson's final novel (1962) of the same name.

We now have the first trailer for We Have Always Lived in the Castle, which is said to be arriving on VOD platforms May 17th.

Crispin Glover and his fancy Friday the 13th: The Final Chapter dance moves stars opposite Sebastian Stan (Black Swan, The Martian, The Covenant), with Texas Chainsaw 3D‘s Alexandra Daddario and her “American Horror Story” co-star Taissa Farmiga (The Final Girls) featured as agoraphobic sisters.

The movie — an adaptation of Shirley Jackson’s 1962 story of the same name — “centers on an isolated family, The Blackwoods, who use rituals and talismans to ward off hostile townspeople. The clan has already lost four members to poisoning when a distant cousin (Stan) arrives to maliciously secure the Blackwood fortune, at which point family secrets are unearthed.

https://bloody-disgusting.com/video...-Ql6XUAeF5c9GddxFG4SyuyevAF_AF3LSyUroTwxUck_8

It is a great book, but its appeal might be a bit delicate to translate to film successfully.

"The Silence", on Netflix good creature feature 8/10.
Ooh, thanks for the recommendation. I saw this on Netflix and *love* Stanley Tucci with the heat of a thousand suns, so good to know it's worth a go.

I didn't realise Crispin Glover was still getting film work .. don't get me wrong, he's ace and all but that's a brave director to hire him nowadays.

Crispin's starring on TV show American Gods at the moment. He's eccentric, but he is professional.

Crispin's starring on TV show American Gods at the moment. He's eccentric, but he is professional.
It was fun watching the brief scenes he shared with Dennis Hopper in River's Edge .. I'd re watch that now but I expect it's not dated well and I don't want to ruin the memory.

It was fun watching the brief scenes he shared with Dennis Hopper in River's Edge .. I'd re watch that now but I expect it's not dated well and I don't want to ruin the memory.

I watched River's Edge again a few years ago and I think it stands up very well. Over the Edge is another cult "nihilistic youth" pic from a few years before that is very decent too. Maybe nihilistic youths never go out of fashion.

I watched River's Edge again a few years ago and I think it stands up very well. Over the Edge is another cult "nihilistic youth" pic from a few years before that is very decent too. Maybe nihilistic youths never go out of fashion.
I don't think I've seen Over The Edge. I remember a journalist coining the phrase 'contemporary noir' in around '89 to describe the instead dark turn teen films had started to take, Heathers, Pump Up The Volume, River's Edge, Cruel Intentions etc .. I'll keep an eye out for Over The Edge.

I didn't realise Crispin Glover was still getting film work .. don't get me wrong, he's ace and all but that's a brave director to hire him nowadays.

Why brave? Is he mental/a knob/both?

Glover had a reputation for being a bit nuts and hard work for directors a few years back although I don't think he's ever been aggressive or anything like that.

It's worth watching Lost Soul: The Doomed Journey of Richard Stanley's Island of Dr. Moreau, if you haven't already. Brando was barking and imperious and Kilmer was an utter prick.

It is a great book, but its appeal might be a bit delicate to translate to film successfully.
Netflix didn't do too badly with The Haunting of Hill House. They portrayed the family years after they'd first lived in the house. How their lives had been affected and then they have to return. So it was based on Shirley Jackson's novel, but not exactly as it was written.

Why? Did he get involved with something? I always liked him but knew he hadn't done anything recently. I figured either he'd retired, or nothing was being offered to him.
I just saw further up that you already answered that for someone else. Thanks

Last edited:
I don't think I've seen Over The Edge. I remember a journalist coining the phrase 'contemporary noir' in around '89 to describe the instead dark turn teen films had started to take, Heathers, Pump Up The Volume, River's Edge, Cruel Intentions etc .. I'll keep an eye out for Over The Edge.

Like River's Edge, Over the Edge is based on a true story. Not a happy one, either. Think it's Matt Dillon's debut. Speaking of him, I did not need to see what he did to Riley Keough in The House That Jack Built recently (art horror, like a 2 1/2 hour video nasty).

Glover had a reputation for being a bit nuts and hard work for directors a few years back although I don't think he's ever been aggressive or anything like that.

Most of that rep was down to him protesting about Robert Zemeckis using makeup to make an actor look like him when Glover refused to return for Back to the Future Part 2. He won his case, got the law changed, and pissed off a lot of powerful people. Around the same time he appeared on the David Letterman show "in character" for a movie called Ruben and Ed that nobody saw, and that didn't help either. But I've heard him interviewed as himself (!) and he's perfectly genial.

A good creature feature "Dark was the night", logging deep in the western forest disturbs an unknown cryptid, whose running out of food. Well done, suspenseful horror.

A good creature feature "Dark was the night", logging deep in the western forest disturbs an unknown cryptid, whose running out of food. Well done, suspenseful horror.
Sam Raimi's new horror 'CRAWL' (sounds more like a thriller) sounds like it has a similar setting except a hurricane has forced our heroes to be trapped in a flooded house with alligators ..

https://www.joblo.com/horror-movies/news/first-look-crawl

Back