• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
The Toybox: An unhappy family who are certainly all unhappy in their own way go on a trip in a used Recreational Vehicle (RV) recently bought by their father. They don't have long to dwell on their own sorrows as weird things start to happen, red liquid from taps, seeing fleeting movements, then actual apparitions. Bloodied corpses, tortured victims hanging from the ceiling, timeslips occur. The RV seems to have a mind of it's own as it locks people in and out, runs them over. This RV is possessed by an evil spirit, a bit like Christine on speed. A disturbing film which is worth a watch. Co-Written, Edited and Directed by Tom Nagle. 6/10. Showing again: Thursday 14th May at 10.50 PM on the Horror Channel.

There's a much weirder film from 1971 called The Toy Box that I bet is more memorable.

Frankenstein (2015): Set in contemporary Los Angeles. Adam (Xavier Samuel) is created in a lab by the Frankensteins. Victor (Danny Huston) and Elizabeth (Carrie-Ann Moss). Adam is a handsome young man but has the mind of an infant, the great success sours as his face body develops deformities. Victor decides to euthanise him, thinking him dead, two other doctors attempt to dissect him but he comes to as a buzz saw bites into his head. He kills both doctors and escapes. Some of his adventures follow the original, the old hermit in this case is a blind blues guitarist. a streetperson;, the floating sticks incident results in him killing a policeman. An extremely violent and gory film with some shocking scenes. Adam is an outcast within a milieu of outcasts on the streets. But even to most of them he is a monster. Moving performance by Samuel who also narrates the story from his developing perspective. Written and directed by Bernard Rose (Candyman). 7/10. On the Horror Channel.

Watched the French movie "Furie" (aka "Get In") last night on Netflix.

It's was quite a clever twist on the old home invasion theme.
A couple return home after an extended Summer holiday to find their house occupied by squatters - and not just any squatters, but a couple the homeowners had befriended and entrusted to look after the place in their absence.
Starts off fairly slowly, with the husband howling in impotent (both figurative and real) rage as all attempts to do things by the book fail miserably.
He finally grows a pair but ..... nah, can't say any more without ruining the twists.

Some fairly explicit sex and lots of very nasty violence.

Apparently based on a true story!

https://bloody-disgusting.com/home-...tense-french-thriller-get-packs-timely-punch/

Starry Eyes: Many people get starry-eyed about Hollywood but end up working waiting in diners and cafés. Such is the fate of Sarah (Alexandra Essoe), her "friends" consist of Erin who is trying to steal her roles, a would be director who lives in a van and her apathetic room mate Tracy. After messing up an audition she freaks out in a restroom. Hearing this the interviewers call her back and seem impressed as she acts out her emotional responses for them. She is called to an interview with the film producer (Louis Dezeseran) where he acts like Harvey Weinstein but appears to be promising her greatness. At first she flees but returns when the reality of waitress life confronts her. The film people are really a cabal of Satanists though. An Occult thriller which seeps with blood and violence. Rituals are gone through but as always the "victim" bound for greatness chooses the pathway. This film works both as social commentary on the illusions, dreams and exploitation of so many aspiring actors and as an engaging Horror tale. Directed and written by Kevin Kölsch and Dennis Widmyer. 7/10. On the Horror Channel.

I'm just watching the movie Midsummer, which was described as a horror movie. So far it's more like some antropological study of Sweden, in what I can only surmise must be an alternate universe.

I'm just watching the movie Midsummer, which was described as a horror movie. So far it's more like some antropological study of Sweden, in what I can only surmise must be an alternate universe.

I hope you don't still think it's accurate by the end!

Accurate? So far the only accurate part is that swedes celebrate midsummer.

Inspired by Wicker Man I believe. Good movie I thought with a few genuinely shocking moments.

A Christmas Horror Story: An anthology film, set on Christmas Eve featuring interconnected tales with a drunken DJ, Dangerous Dan (William Shatner) appearing intermittently, giving updates about a violent incident at a shopping mall. You get teens who should know better than to film the scene where two students were murdered a year before; a changeling boy causing mayhem; chases through a dark forest as Krampus comes to life. O and Santa has his own problems, his elves start to turn into Zombies. A line of humour runs through the film but it is a very dark vein. Decapitations, stabbings, shootings, angry ghosts possessing teens. A satisfying horror flick. 7/10. Saw it on the Horror Channel.

Christmas in May?! Are The Horror Channel running out of films?

Double Love (L'Amant Double): Twins, of course there are varying types. While this film owes a debt to Cronenberg's Blood Brothers, and the theme of a patient falling in love with her analyst isn't exactly original, Francois Ozon puts his own stamp on this tale. Chloe (Marine Vacth) an ex-model now working as an art gallery attendant seeks help from therapist Paul (Jéremie Renier) regarding her psychosomatic stomach pains. They swiftly become lovers but Paul keeps secrets, he has a twin who is also a shrink. Things start to get complicated after that in this psychological thriller which morphs into horror on occasions. A few interesting plot twists add to the intrigue in this film of smoke and mirrors. Writer/Director Francois Ozon delivers an enigmatic (if somewhat derivative) Erotic Noir Thriller. 7/10. May be viewed (free) at https://www.channel4.com/programmes/lamant-double until 17 June.

The Possession (2012): A very Jewish Possession - the evil spirit is a Dybbuk, contained within an old wooden box. We see the power of the Dybbuk when an old woman tries to destroy the box, she is thrown around the place by invisible forces and seriously injured. A father buys the box in a lawn sale for his ten year old daughter, Emily (Natasha Calis). Soon strangeness abounds, an infestation of moths, Emily develops a voracious appetite, she stabs her father in the hand with a fork. She becomes obsessed with the box, beating up a boy in her class who tries to open it. She speaks to the box, claiming that a woman lives within it. A different take on casting out the demon, a Hasidic Rabbi (Matisyahu) is the Exorcist. The Dybbuk gives Emily great physical as well as telekinetic powers.Some great scenes where she throws grown men around and appears hanging upside down. We're generally spared the vomiting but she does swallow moths. Convincing performances by Calis and Matisyahu. Director Ole Bornedal delivers and engaging horror thriller. 8/10.

Haunting Of Briar House (The Unspoken): Superfiicilly this is your typical possessed rather than haunted house but there's more going than meets the eye, I won't add to that, just wait for the plot reveal. Possessed though because a family has vanished, leaving the house covered in blood with one servant hanging from the ceiling and the other a gibbering wreck. Seventeen years later a woman moves in with her troubled son who has been mute since the death of his father. A local teenage girl is hired as a nanny. Locals fear the house so only oddballs or the desperate will work there. Throw in the local psychotic bulies and a creepy handyman and we're set to go. Animals are ritually sacrificed as offerings to the house and a deceased dog reanimates and kills the handyman. Poltergeist activity, sinister marbles rolling about, invisible hands strangling people, drill bits coming through floors impaling a victim. This house would not compete well in an ideal homes exhibition. A constant feeling of dread infuses the film as dreams merge with reality. Not a classic but Writer/Director Sheldon Wilson delivers an effective horror flick. 7/10. On the Horror Channel.

Last edited:
Haunting Of Briar House (The Unspoken): Superfiicilly this your typical possessed rather than haunted house but there's more going than meets the eye, I won't cannot add to that, just wait for the plot reveal. Possessed though because a family has vanished, leaving the house covered in blood with one servant from the ceiling and the other a gibbering wreck. Seventeen years later a woman moves in with her troubled son who has been mute since the death of his father. A local teenage girl is hired as a nanny. Locals fear the house so only oddballs or the desperaye will work there. THrow in the local psychotic bulies and a creepy handyman and we're set to go. Animals are ritually sacrificed as offerings to the house and a deceased dog reanimates and kills the handyman. Poltergeist activity, sinister marbles rolling about, invisible hands strangling people, drill bits coming through floors impaling a victim. This house would not compete well in an ideal homes exhibition. A constant feeling of dread infuses the film as drams merge with reality. Not a classic but Writer/Director Sheldon Wilson delivers an effective horror flick. 7/10. On the Horror Channel.

Lol, you're good. :D

I had passed this by because of other peoples reviews and because imdb gave it a low score but, I am going to put this on my watch list now because you make it sound really interesting. Thank you. :)

A Young Man With High Potential: A dark thriller which segues into horror as a comedy of errors uverwhelms a computer geek. Piet (Adam Ild Rohweder) is nerdish computer science student, reclusive, fears even the slightest social interaction, depending on webcam girl Kylie for stumulation. So he flees when another student, Klara (Paulina Galazka), suggests they become partners on an infomatics project but she persevers They actually get on well but he mistakes friendliness for attraction Rebuffed he is devastated and makes dark plans. But when Klara calls to his apartment happenstance progresses his plans. Disaster strikes for Klara though. We then descend into bloody horror and one blunder after another. Literally the darkest of comdies. We know from the beginning of the film that all is not well as Piet is confronted by a private investigator Ketura (Amanda Plummer) hired by Klara's family. Elements of Mr Robot merge with slasher tropes as writer Anna de Paoli and director Linus de Paoli give us a lean (89 minutes duration) mean feature which will have you pondering upon what you've watched long after the final credits roll. 8/10. Available free at https://www.channel4.com/programmes/a-young-man-with-high-potential until 22 June.

Haunting Of Briar House (The Unspoken): Superfiicilly this is your typical possessed rather than haunted house but there's more going than meets the eye, I won't add to that, just wait for the plot reveal. Possessed though because a family has vanished, leaving the house covered in blood with one servant hanging from the ceiling and the other a gibbering wreck. Seventeen years later a woman moves in with her troubled son who has been mute since the death of his father. A local teenage girl is hired as a nanny. Locals fear the house so only oddballs or the desperate will work there. Throw in the local psychotic bulies and a creepy handyman and we're set to go. Animals are ritually sacrificed as offerings to the house and a deceased dog reanimates and kills the handyman. Poltergeist activity, sinister marbles rolling about, invisible hands strangling people, drill bits coming through floors impaling a victim. This house would not compete well in an ideal homes exhibition. A constant feeling of dread infuses the film as dreams merge with reality. Not a classic but Writer/Director Sheldon Wilson delivers an effective horror flick. 7/10. On the Horror Channel.

After reading your review, I fancied watching this tonight, but can't find it on Netflix or Amazon Prime.
Is it not available for home viewing yet?

122: Egyptian horror film based on an old trope: a couple, Nasr and Umnia, are brought to a hospital after a traffic accident but Nasr disappears, he was never in the hospital. Turns out there's a secret clinic in the basement where organs are removed for transplant but Nasr wakes up. An ongoing fight and flight ensues as good doctor battle bad and Nasr flees through vents shafts. Umnia will not give up either. Quiet gory and while not particularly original it is engaging and certainly worth watching. Directed by Yasir Al-Yasiri from a screenplay by Salah El Gehiny. 7/10. On Netlix.

Well, this looks... interesting.

MV5BZmI4YWVkNjctOTU3ZC00NTU4LWE4MDMtYmRmZTBmOTFjYjQ3XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyOTI3MjM5NjM@._V1_.jpg

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt12399882/?ref_=nm_flmg_dr_5

One of the longest film titles I have seen in a long time.

Had to read your post twice.

My old eyes read that as, One of the longest film titties I have seen in a long time. :dunno:

Judging by what I've heard about this movie, they'll probably be in it too.

Wishmaster (1997): Hokum but fun. Nothing cutesy about this Djinn, he'll twist your wishes to make them rebound on you. Trapped in an opal for centuries he gets loose in 1990s US causing mayhem. Some gory killings, skeletons emerge from bodies, statues come to life. It holds up well 20 odd years on. Directed by Robert Kurtzman, 7/10. On Netflix.

Incident in a Ghostland: Multi-layered horror where realities mesh with dreams and the imaginary; we even get an appearance from H.P. Lovecraft ("call me Howard"). A mother and her two teen daughters head to a secluded house which she has inherited. On the way they are passed by a creepy candy van and read about a series of home invasions/murders. That night they are attacked by a giant simple-minded man who is accompanied by a woman, the van's driver. The mother and daughter undergo a horrific ordeal but fight back, killing their attackers. Sixteen years later one of the girls, Beth, has become a successful horror author. She gets a disturbing call from her sister Vera who never really recovered from the attack. Returning home her mother informs her that Vera locks herself in her room and in the basement. But much worse is going on, Vera is found chained to a radiator and seems to be under attack from invisible entities. Scenes of horror, nay, terror infuse this film from the very beginning, the home invasion is truly disconcerting as the man-monster throws the girls around like rag dolls and abuses them. Dolls feature strongly, popping out of cupboards (quotidian horror) and proving a distraction to the monster who likes to burn/break dolls. Trouble is - he regards the girls as dolls. Not a film you will easily forget though there are a few clues strewn through the early parts of the film as to what is really going on. Written and Directed by Pascal Laugier (Martyrs). 8/10.

Wounds: A confused and confusing film about a bartender who finds a phone with disturbing vids/images of brutal killings on it. Strange things happen to him and people close to him. Lots of flies and bugs infest rooms and cars. This is a tale of a Gnostic ritual gone wrong or possibly having it's intended effect as a demon comes across and moves from host to host. Wounds has all the ingredients to be a good horror film but in spite of good acting and some terrifying scenes it fails to convince. Written and directed by Babak Anvari (who gave us the great Under The Shadow). 5/10. On Netflix.
Just watched this. I think it wanted to say something about identity, perception, and transistion? The cockroaches, whether real, imagined or drawn (there were, I think, two small pictures in WIll and Carrie's apartment), linked up to Kafka: a copy of the Metamorphisis was in a shot alongside Conrad's Heart of Darkness, and Grayson Perry's Descent of Man. There was a poster for Antonioni's Blow Up on Will and Carrie's sitting room wall. A lot of "hey, this is about something more than you think"clues, but they didn't quite work. Maybe the original story is more rewarding?

Back