• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
For Horror films unlikely to get a thread of their own.

Last edited:
Demonic : 30 years ago a Seance went wrong and one of the participants slew 5 people. 30 years later the son of the lone survivor has the bright idea to hold another seance in the same house. What could possibly go wrong?

Told largely in flash-back this is a watchable if unoriginal horror film. Ok effects, acting & direction.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1841642/

Parents ..

Parents was an incredibly obscure and difficult film to find, even back in 1989 .. starring Randy Quaid (enough said) ... Michael is a disturbed young boy in 1950's America, disturbed for a good reason ..

This horror film doesn't throw gore in your face, it sort of gets under you skin in a Psycho way, Randy being an incredibly creepy Dad helped by the low angle shots of him talking down to Michael .. this trailer betrays its true darkness .. fear of childhood, fear of adults and their intentions .. another one I've still got on VHS ..

Last edited:
Parents ..

Parents was an incredibly obscure and difficult film to find, even back in 1989 .. starring Randy Quaid (enough said) ... Michael is a disturbed young boy in 1950's America, disturbed for a good reason ..

I actually saw Parents in the cinema! Great film, funny weird and puts you off steak (the shots of food are really disgusting). Now we know this is what Randy Quaid is really like, alas. Excellent music, too.

I actually saw Parents in the cinema! Great film, funny weird and puts you off steak (the shots of food are really disgusting). Now we know this is what Randy Quaid is really like, alas. Excellent music, too.
Kudos to you for seeing Parents in the cinema :cool: .. and I was pleased with myself for being honestly able to say I saw They Live in the cinema.

Cats Eye is a memorable one, especially that little troll creature that steals your breath of energy.

Good anthology and another in my VHS ex rental collection ... without checking, I think Savini did the F/X for that episode and that's a young Drew Barrymore .... I could be getting mixed up with Creep Show on the Tom Savini thing though.

Good anthology and another in my VHS ex rental collection ... without checking, I think Savini did the F/X for that episode and that's a young Drew Barrymore .... I could be getting mixed up with Creep Show on the Tom Savini thing though.

it was a very thought provoking watch.

it was a very thought provoking watch.
Slightly straying off topic but I remember an urban legend about cats lying on children's chests when they're asleep to steal their breath ..

Slightly straying off topic but I remember an urban legend about cats lying on children's chests when they're asleep to steal their breath ..

Never knew that.

At my Nans house in my childhood a child sized four fingered hand print was found on the wall behind the wardrobe in my aunts room around 8 inches above the skirting board. It made me think of that movie and spooked me for many nights afterwards. :eek:

That's Blair Witch creepy George :eek:

Just to take it alittle further, my aunt awoke one night a saw a little figure sat on the carpet by the bed. She apparently screamed the house down and when all lights were turned on nothing was there.

I remember seeing that just after Christmas 1989, at the Hyde Park Picture House, I was vegetarian then but had stayed at a friends for Christmas and had caved in and was feeling guilty after eating dead animals, and then I watched this movie and felt quite ill... also I'm pretty sure cannilbalism was sort of an allegory for noncing. which just makes it even more
vomit-smiley-015.gif

I remember seeing that just after Christmas 1989, at the Hyde Park Picture House, I was vegetarian then but had stayed at a friends for Christmas and had caved in and was feeling guilty after eating dead animals, and then I watched this movie and felt quite ill... also I'm pretty sure cannilbalism was sort of an allegory for noncing. which just makes it even more
vomit-smiley-015.gif

It's a creepy movie all right, but very funny too in its twisted way. I went to see it because Tony Slattery loved it - he had a movie review show at the time and raved about Parents. The ending in particular makes your head feel tight. Sadly when director Bob Balaban (the American ufologist from Close Encounters) tried to repeat the trick with My Boyfriend's Back he was struck down with a bad case of studio interference and it was a bit of a mess.

Cats Eye is a memorable one, especially that little troll creature that steals your breath or energy.

I remember staying up to watch that on late night TV back in the 80s! James Woods is terrific in the quitting smoking one, a rare example of a Stephen King story doing as well on the screen as it does on the page (I think King wrote the cat story script especially for Drew to star in). Incidentally, the cat doesn't do any breath-stealing, it's the troll who does it, there's a bit when you think puss will turn evil but it turns out to be a gallant protector all along.

Stephen King's story about a man swallowing an entire cat was in Tales from the Darkside a few years later.

Julia: Horror-Noir-Revenge, classy gore fest, an "Ironic I Spit On Your Grave". This involves a secret organisation dedicated to taking revenge on "pick up type" men in general. Currently at 4.3 in IMDb ratings but I would give it a 6.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2582426/

If you're looking for something weird and off the beaten track, give Der Samurai a go. Basically it's about this sword-wielding transvestite who may be a werewolf and terrorises a German village by cutting people's heads off. And the policeman who loves him. I mean, tries to stop him. I should warn the sensitive that there's a very clear view of an erect penis during the climax - er, finale. Not mainstream, but if you like it strange, give it a go.

Session 9 - which I'm sure I've raved about here before. A group of workmen are removing asbestos from an abandoned asylum. As probably expected, it doesn't go completely to plan...

No hugely in your face horror moments, but a nice creepy build up and quite an effective storyline. It used to regularly be on Syfy, but I haven't seen it for a while. Worth a watch though.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Session_9

The Hills are Alive was an old Kenny Everett TV show gag, with a fanged, roaring hill.

Fields of the Dead: Slasher film, boring. Gave up after 25 minutes.

Seven friends find themselves on an isolated farm. Here, they discover an ancient book, which summons demons from the surrounding woods. Now, these friends will have to find a way out of the fields, if they want to survive.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3186838/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

If you want a decent, new slasher movie, may I recommend See No Evil 2? You don't have to see the first one (I didn't), and this is much better, one of the most bizarrely life-affirming horrors about people getting killed you'll ever see. It's not happy about the murder, more about the "enjoy yourself, it's later than you think" message. Directed by The Soska Sisters, who are definitely ones to watch (they did American Mary about the cosmetic surgery strangeness).

Insidious 3: A prequel where psychic Elise Rainer gets dragged into a case against her better judgement. A girl who wants to contact her deceased mother gets both legs fractured in a car accident & attracts the attention a malevolent entity. Good effects, editing , story , direction & acting. Well worth a watch.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3195644/

Last edited:
Neverlake: This could have been a very good horror film but s left down by pacing, especially in the middle act. A girl arrives in Tuscany, travelling from her US boarding school to visit her father who has carried out Archaeological work at an Etruscan site in a lake for the past 20 years. She meets some strange children who tell her that the spurits of the Etruscan's are disturbed because their statues have been removed.

This is a ghost story but also contains a real life saga which is far more terrifying .

Worth watching.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3301196/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Back