• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Weirdly enough, the Little Stranger reminds me alot of the great Rebecca Hall's film The Awakening:

Tonight/Thursday early hours on Film4 at 1.25 am, Baskin, my comments:

Shades of Hellraiser. Not for the squeamish.

Baskin: Turkish horror film, 5 cops have a series of misadventures, culminating in them knocking someone down and driving into a river. They all survive but are on a call out to an old building with an odd reputation. In the building they find another cop, injured and raving. They descend to the basement and literally enter the Gates of Hell. People are being tortured, eaten alive, dismembered.

Shades of Hellraiser. Not for the squeamish. 7/10.

Last edited:
I was going to post this in the Evil Dead thread but seeing as how the TV series has ended, Jo LuDuca, the original composer of the original trilogy has composed a re-imagining score that's also been produced on vinyl LP's .. and Graham Humphrey's, the original artist has again done the artwork :cool: ..

You can listen to it here for free ..

https://open.spotify.com/album/6WIzy3e2HWbT8vpcMA2fVf?si=OC4G88q2QuKj2i51-Kz-Lg

Shelter (6 Souls): Forensic Psychiatrist Cara Harding (Julianne Moore) doesn't believe in Multiple Personality Disorder but her father (Jeffrey Munn), also a psychiatrist, tries to shake up her thinking by introducing her to Adam (Jonathan Rhys Meyers) who is also David and Wesley. Apparently some of his physical abilities and characteristics change with his personalities.

Not just a tale of a disturbed patient, this film also brings in serial killing, Appalachian Folk Magic and a curse. Good Folk Horror but with perhaps a few too many forced shocks. At 112 minutes it would have benefited from a 15 minutes cut in it's running time. Convincing acting by Moore and Meyers. 6.5/10.

The only scary thing about this next one will be if they don't all have enough prosseco, gin and canapes for the premier after party by the looks of this trailer .. :yawn: .. it looks like a dull attempt at trying to be The Haunting mixed with Downton Abbey with a sprinkle of Borley Rectory ..

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/80184
Fucking hell. That's one of my absolute favourite books! I hope they've made a good job of it..

Weirdly enough, the Little Stranger reminds me alot of the great Rebecca Hall's film The Awakening:
That's a great film and yes The Little Stranger puts me in mind of that when I read it.

Tonight/Thursday early hours on Film4 at 1.25 am, Baskin, my comments:

Shades of Hellraiser. Not for the squeamish.

Baskin: Turkish horror film, 5 cops have a series of misadventures, culminating in them knocking someone down and driving into a river. They all survive but are on a call out to an old building with an odd reputation. In the building they find another cop, injured and raving. They descend to the basement and literally enter the Gates of Hell. People are being tortured, eaten alive, dismembered.

Shades of Hellraiser. Not for the squeamish. 7/10.

Not much of a plot, but considering it was made for peanuts on various free nights it looks fantastic. Sad the director's follow-up was scuppered by his choice to make it in English, which seems to piss off everyone who catches it.

Not much of a plot, but considering it was made for peanuts on various free nights it looks fantastic. Sad the director's follow-up was scuppered by his choice to make it in English, which seems to piss off everyone who catches it.

I haven't seen Housewife but I'll give it a look anyway if I track it down.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6464678/?ref_=nm_flmg_dr_3

He has also directed a segment of The Field Guide To Evil.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt6688354/?ref_=nm_flmg_dr_2

Hereditary on Thursday. Really looking forward to it.

I thought it was excellent... 9.5/10

In fact, I may go back for a second helping.

Genuinely disturbing, in lots of places. How this is considered safe content for 15yr olds, I have no idea. So saying, Milly Shapiro was outstanding (as were the entire cast)

Seriously...there were confident iconic streaks woven across this movie that seen once, will never leave you, for the rest of your life. An instantaneous classic, that was only just short of perfection.

It sucks you in, totally, does not patronise you for a second, and will have your brain buzzing like a ham-slicer by the end.

The end was odd...but (allegedly) on purpose.

http://www.vulture.com/amp/2018/06/explaining-the-end-of-hereditary.html

I would strongly recommend you go and see it. Take a friend. You will need each-other.

I thought it was excellent... 9.5/10

In fact, I may go back for a second helping.

Genuinely disturbing, in lots of places. How this is considered safe content for 15yr olds, I have no idea. So saying, Milly Shapiro was outstanding (as were the entire cast)

Seriously...there were confident iconic streaks woven across this movie that seen once, will never leave you, for the rest of your life. An instantaneous classic, that was only just short of perfection.

It sucks you in, totally, does not patronise you for a second, and will have your brain buzzing like a ham-slicer by the end.

The end was odd...but (allegedly) on purpose.

http://www.vulture.com/amp/2018/06/explaining-the-end-of-hereditary.html

I would strongly recommend you go and see it. Take a friend. You will need each-other.

I would agree, maybe even 10/10. I'm seeing it again on Tuesday.

I would agree, maybe even 10/10. I'm seeing it again on Tuesday.
It demands dissection, and yet of course we cannot do that (here or yet anywhere) in deference to those who have yet to witness it themselves. Yet ironically the 'jury' is not out on this....Rotten Tomatoes scores it a 91% (I had no idea what they placed it at, prior to seeing it.....and their comment
Critic Consensus:Hereditary uses its classic setup as the framework for a harrowing, uncommonly unsettling horror film whose cold touch lingers long beyond the closing credits
...is absolutely on the money.

I mean....what the hell can Milly ('Charlie') Shapiro ever do, cinematically, after that?? I have never seen such a pathologically-perfect piece of casting ever. I'd never seen or heard of her before yesterday, and I feel violated by having even just seen a second's shot of her on screen. Her presence is beyond our words...and hers.

Never have I ever seen/heard/felt someone be able to project a presence with so little said...the level of visceral discomfort, and belief I experienced within the theatre, both make me feel almost ill. No, it DOES make me feel ill...in a way that means I need to roll the movie through my head, like a Rubic's Cube.

But....I would've watched this for three hours. Or longer.

This film is utterly amazing. Everyone acting in it was bloody fantastic. Aside from the dismount at the end (which I felt hurried, and slightly disappointing) this was utterly-phenomenal. I've seen worse endings. And yet I'm unsure as to how they could've bettered the end.

Wow.
EDIT
Double-wow. 'Nobody likes it'...well then, I love it even more. https://www.irishtimes.com/culture/...do-people-actually-like-it-1.3531029?mode=amp

It demands dissection, and yet of course we cannot do that (here or yet anywhere) in deference to those who have yet to witness it themselves. Yet ironically the 'jury' is not out on this....Rotten Tomatoes scores it a 91% (I had no idea what they placed it at, prior to seeing it.....and their comment

I think I can do a review without spoilers, giving the feel of the film.

I think I can do a review without spoilers, giving the feel of the film.
Please, please do.
EDIT
To say this redefines horror is, safely, not a cliché in this case. It felt unworldly unHollywoodean in its style. Unlike slasher/screamer movies, this cut its own furrow. The director/producers must be destined for seriously-good things. $10M USD for something this good? The price of a cheap mid-western shopping mall, for a film that could easily generate many multimillions of morally-not-bankrupt income.

Last edited:
Ooh. I was meant to see this last night but it would have meant going alone. Next Thursday with a couple of friends instead.

Although, your review, Ermintruder, has made me a bit anxious. Are we talking 'A Serbian Film' type of experience? I'm trying to get an idea of where in the genre it sits so I can be prepared!

Last edited:
Ooh. I was meant to see this last night but it would have meant going alone. Next Thursday with a couple of friends instead.

Although, your review, Ermintruder, has made me a bit anxious. Are we talking 'A Serbian Film' type of experience? I'm trying to get an idea of where in the genre it sits so I can be prepared!

Definitely not A Serbian Film. Elements of A Dark Song, The Conjuring even The Exorcist but it is very much it's own film.

Last edited:
Nope! Nothing like that...

I'm a bit annoyed Hereditary didn't work for me... couldn't get into the style of it, and despite an excellent surround mix, never got scary :eek: 4/10

Just been listening to Mark Kermode's podcast and he was disappointed in it too - too derivative and too much exposition in it, were his chief complaints.

Just been listening to Mark Kermode's podcast and he was disappointed in it too - too derivative and too much exposition in it, were his chief complaints.
Yeah, he didn't bother including it at all in his BBC News 24 segment, which actually surprised me.

Other genre critics like Alan Jones and Nigel Floyd didn't care for it either. (Not heard Kim Newman's take yet!)

Hereditary: Tolstoy wrote: "Happy families are all alike; every unhappy family is unhappy in its own way." In this film each member of the Graham family is unhappy in their own way. Annie (Toni Collette), the mother, grieves for her own recently deceased mother. But she was estranged from that difficult, domineering woman for years only reconciling towards the end. Her father starved himself to death, her brother committed committed suicide. All of that trauma seems to have driven Annie over the edge.

Charlie (Milly Shapiro), the daughter, is unhappy in herself, gorges on chocolate, sketches continuously, cuts the heads off dead birds, sleeps in a treehouse. Peter (Alex Wolff), the son, is a pothead, he feels unloved by his mother, as the film unfolds he develops a crippling guilt over an accident he feels responsible for. Steve (Gabriel Byrne), the paterfamilias, has a countenance as dour and world weary as we've come to expect from Stephen Rea. He carries out the mundane tasks of cooking and trying to keep the family together. A counterpoint to the craziness of Annie.

One of the most shocking scenes in the film has no explicit supernatural cause but it left me gasping. There are plenty of shocks provoked by strange entities though and none of seem forced. Spirits possess Seance participants, messages are written on chalkboards by invisible hands. Murderous spirits are summoned up. Levitation and Spontaneous Human Combustion All of this is somehow related to secrets kept by Annie's deceased mother.

Annie builds dolls house's, meticulously detailed, she is even working on a model of the hospice where her mother died. This is used by director Ari Aster to frame many shots as the action moves seamlessly from model to the real house and back again. The Graham's residence has the appearance of a dolls house, the furniture layout, shots along corridors. While Aster is at the helm and delivers a witty but scare inducing screenplay, cinematography by Pawel Pogorzelski, editing by Lucian Johnston and Jennifer Lame, production design by Grace Yun and set decoration by Brian Lives all contribute to success of this unique Horror Film. I see elements of A Dark Song, Kill List, The Exorcist and even Rosemary's Baby but this is very much it's own film. Pacing is perfect. A new paradigm in Horror. 9.5/10.

Last edited:
well i was suckered in by the exorcist comparisons, what rot ... poorly told mess of a story, no better than all the endless paranormal activities annabelles and insidiouses/sinisters etc ...

and, hard to believe i find myself saying this from the trailers etc, but the USP of this movie went sadly underexploited ...

(hereditary)

sidekick / fortean teen titan accompanied, although technically a few months below the bar she can easily pass, was likewise non-plussed and much preferred jordan peeles get out

well i was suckered in by the exorcist comparisons, what rot ... poorly told mess of a story, no better than all the endless paranormal activities annabelles and insidiouses/sinisters etc ...

and, hard to believe i find myself saying this from the trailers etc, but the USP of this movie went sadly underexploited ...

^Not this^

yeah because it definitely wasnt thoroughly derivative ! you could literally unpick each setpiece and point to the movie it was drawn from ... the whole tied together with sloppy LOST-style storytelling, not that i saw LOST

yeah because it definitely wasnt thoroughly derivative ! you could literally unpick each setpiece and point to the movie it was drawn from ... the whole tied together with sloppy LOST-style storytelling, not that i saw LOST

^Not this^

Back