• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Here's a good article:
Interesting article

It's about UK TV horror movie seasons of the 1970s and 80s. Yes, very specific, and it does get quite technical, but stick with it for the conclusions about the camaraderie and sense of occasion for everyone tuning in for a late night horror to be discussed later in the playground/workplace. Something the author argues has been lost now when everything is available instantly (supposedly).

Though I'd say we still have to seek things out, it's more the other way around, and we use the internet to hear about stuff which we then track down, instead of seeing something and that's it, gone till its next broadcast (if at all).

Well that was interesting, I was only aware of the BBC2 double bills and never knew ITV had been doing them for years beforehand. I remember buying the Radio Times pictured at link with Night of the Demon on the cover and the 1980 season was the one that meant the most to me.
I was watching horrors on TV earlier than that and by checking the listings on wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horror_Double_Bills#1976_Masters_of_Terror

I can tell that I must have seen Karloff in The Mummy in July '77 because I wrote about it at school the following Monday. I was six at the time and my teacher seemed a bit concerned.*

And who else watched Them followed by The Incredible Shrinking Man on Saturday, 12 August 1978? Oh, what a night!

*the same teacher who also thought, by one of my drawings, that I'd bought a real live preying mantis when in fact it was a diorama-style model of a giant one terrorising a city street. Duh, it's crushing a taxi Miss.

And who else watched Them followed by The Incredible Shrinking Man on Saturday, 12 August 1978? Oh, what a night!
this explains where i saw a bunch of horrors at too young an age ... on family holidays ... i thought lets scare jessica to death might be on there ...

i thought lets scare jessica to death might be on there ...

I thought the Dr. Phibes films might be. Not idea where or when I saw them first time. I've just remembered another drawing I produced at primary school after watching Satanic Rites of Dracula with Chris Lee in a coffin with bloody fangs.

Where were social services?

Where were social services
i was born in 70, with two older sisters so they were the moral/cultural sanity check ... i think lets scare jessica was a few years later maybe 80 or 81 ... that film left its imprint on me through to adult life ... to this day not seen the dr phibes flicks

"Cold Ground" a French horror survival movie. Slow moving and it really never picks up. Don't mind waiting on the beasties - special effects if it is a good plot in the making. Not so here 2 out of 10 IMO.

I these are on Amazon Prime Video, put it on my watchlist, hoping they are like the classic Gothic Hammer horror.
Two Faces Of Evil is more like Invasion Of The Body Snatchers than Dracula's castle but hopefully you'll like it anyway.

Two Faces Of Evil is more like Invasion Of The Body Snatchers than Dracula's castle but hopefully you'll like it anyway.
Are you kidding the "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" was great (both versions). But it on my to do list.

I thought the Dr. Phibes films might be. Not idea where or when I saw them first time. I've just remembered another drawing I produced at primary school after watching Satanic Rites of Dracula with Chris Lee in a coffin with bloody fangs.

Where were social services?
I remember seeing the "Satanic Rites of Dracula" at the old Lancaster Theater when young, it was great. I believe it was paired up with "Trog" at the theater?

Well that was interesting, I was only aware of the BBC2 double bills and never knew ITV had been doing them for years beforehand. I remember buying the Radio Times pictured at link with Night of the Demon on the cover and the 1980 season was the one that meant the most to me.
I was watching horrors on TV earlier than that and by checking the listings on wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horror_Double_Bills#1976_Masters_of_Terror

I can tell that I must have seen Karloff in The Mummy in July '77 because I wrote about it at school the following Monday. I was six at the time and my teacher seemed a bit concerned.*

*the same teacher who also thought, by one of my drawings, that I'd bought a real live preying mantis when in fact it was a diorama-style model of a giant one terrorising a city street. Duh, it's crushing a taxi Miss.

ITV did loads of hammer film reruns from the late 80's onwards

Are you kidding the "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" was great (both versions). But it on my to do list.
Both versions? .. yes they were great but there's three versions I own, there's might even be more by now? ..

.. the '56 original, the '78 Donald Sutherland remake and this '93 one ..

Both versions? .. yes they were great but there's three versions I own, there's might even be more by now? ..

.. the '56 original, the '78 Donald Sutherland remake and this '93 one ..

Never heard about the 3rd version made in 98? The list continues to grow.

Never heard about the 3rd version made in 98? The list continues to grow.
'93 mate .. to be honest, she's the best thing about the film .. I think there was a TV show as well?

Nicole Kidman starred in a 4th version simply called The Invasion. It might have been good if the studio hadn't mucked about with it.

Loving horror is hardwired into us, I guess horror films replaces the scary stories Cro-Magnons told around the fire as the sabre-toothed tigers lurked in the darkness.

Bird Box is the first breakout film of the new year. The post-apocalyptic thriller was watched by more than 26 million people over its first week on Netfilx, a record for the streaming service.

It comes on the heels of last year's A Quiet Place, which was one of the top-grossing films of 2018. Movies such as these have a single mission: To terrify their viewers. But why do so many people choose to spend two hours in perpetual fear?

New research provides a clear answer: We are evolutionarily wired to seek out such material. A research team led by Mathias Clasen of Denmark's Aarhus University argues horror movies, novels, and video games fall into the category of "benign masochism."

"Horror movies tend to imaginatively transport consumers into fictional universes that brim with dangers," the researchers write. "Through such imaginative absorption, people get to experience strong, predominantly negative emotions within a safe context. This experience serves as a way of preparing for real-world threat situations."

https://psmag.com/education/why-we-flocked-to-bird-box

I have mixed, mostly negative feelings om this:

https://consequenceofsound.net/2019/01/nicolas-cage-hp-lovecraft-colour-out-of-space/

CooS is features a lifeform (of sorts) that is a colour that doesn't exist on Earth. Eminently filmable then. Stanley's involvement suggests it won't get off the ground, I hope so.
They could do a lot worse than getting F/X legend and artist Tom 'Evil Dead' Sullivan in on this project .. his Cthulhu stuff is magnificent, I've 'worked with' him before and even own some of his signed Lovecraft inspired stuff, he was even meant to work on a Cthulhu film decades ago but couldn't due to reasons personal to him ..

Saw the first ten minutes of The Bye-Bye Man on Netflix, and yep, it looked as bad as everyone said it was... :nods:

Escape Room (2019): The deaths of five Polish girls in an Escape Room tragedy might have cast a pall on this film but instead it is referenced in a newspaper headline read by one of the gamers. We have the standard set up: six people make their way to the Escape Room venue, some having to solve puzzles to get their invites. While the progress of the film could be predicted, the game/room scenarios are innovative, perhaps an improvement in style rather than substance. Some rather cruel, indeed nasty deaths involving characters you may have bonded with. The reason why this particular group have been invited to participate in the game is an interesting if not original reveal, it comes after a few red herrings have been set loose.

Good acting from Taylor Russell as an introverted student, Deborah Ann Wool as a traumatised ex-marine and Logan Miller as an underachieving slacker. Director Adam Robitel delivers a good Horror/Thriller with a few shocks and scares. 7.5/10.

Nicole Kidman starred in a 4th version simply called The Invasion. It might have been good if the studio hadn't mucked about with it.
Similar but "Invasion" with Kidman was not really the same.

Similar but "Invasion" with Kidman was not really the same.

It was a remake, though, Jack Finney's source novel was credited, and presumably his estate got the financial benefit.

Reactions: Jim
He's Out There: Yet another family go for a vacation to an isolated house, in the woods and yes, there's a lake nearby. The mother and two daughters arrive first with Daddy due to arrie that night. The children find red string attached to trees, this leads them to a tree stump with a tea party set on it. No hatters, dormice, hares or Alice about though. After that things turn strange. A nastier than usual axe maniac is about. This is a rather dark film, not really original in any way but it has some gruesome scenes and is quite dark. Passable horror film directed by Quinn Lasher. 6/10. On Netflix.

'Velvet Buzzsaw' looks different, a load of arty farty art people being attacked by something breaking out from inside a coveted dead artist's paintings ..

Universal's Dark Universe (those classic monsters reboots) is no more, according to this:
Dark Universe goes phut

Universal presumably cursing the name of Tom Cruise now, but The Invisible Man is proceeding regardless, and might be interesting: they've got the Upgrade guy in to do it.

Rassvet (Quiet Comes the Dawn AKA Sunrise) is the latest horror from Russia.

A young woman plagued by nightmares seeks psychiatric assistance and finds herself enlisted in an experiment into collective lucid dreaming.

(To be reviewed in my blog, for those interested).

Trailer with English subtitles:

Last edited:
Not a bad creature feature. Mother and daughter on lonely secluded road. There car dies and something nasty's out there. 7/10

Hi. Hope you don't mind if I follow. I love horror. Movies, TV series, stories.
As a kid (somewhere around 6-8 years old) I watched Alfred Hitchcock Presents, Twilight Zone, Night Gallery. Loved Vincent Price , Boris Karloff and Lon Chaney (though I didn't know who he was at time). Read the collection of The Blue, Red etc books of fairy tales, as well as Poe. And graduated to Stephen King et al in my early teens.
Then up until about 6 years ago I had a collection of several 100 horror SciFi movies vhs and DVD. Got rid of them because of space and never wanting to pack them all if I ever moved.
Now I often search the net to find obscure horror movies.
So I will enjoy sitting here and listening to discussion and critiques of my favourite genre:fbunny:

Redwood: A couple hiking in creepy woods, heard it before? This one has a few twists and at least it's not found footage. also there are vampires. Josh (Mike Beckingham) has leukemia so he and Beth (Tatjana Inez Nardone) decide to spend some quality time in taking in the mountain air among the tree of and trails of a National Park. They meet a rather goofy Ranger, Steve (Muzz Khan), later as they make camp they meet a more serious Ranger, Vincent (Nicholas Brendon) who warns them about unspecified dangerous wildlife. He also tells them to keep away from the" Sanatorium" ruins, apparently some folk believe miracle cures are available there ...

The location is spine-chilling at times and there are some great overhead camera shots but too much time is spent on the petty squabbling of the couple as they traverse the park. The frights when they come make up for this to some extent but the vampires look more like inbred hillbillies. Tom Patton wrote, directed and edited this just about passable Horror Film. 5.5/10.

Back