• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
I believe the Warrens were there for an afternoon or something. Still, they made a bit of cash out of it, which was their purpose in life.
Yep .. our new team member tried to tell me all about the Warrens involvement at Enfield ... the involvement that never happened .. I was polite but it didn't happen.

Yep .. our new team member tried to tell me all about the Warrens involvement at Enfield ... the involvement that never happened .. I was polite but it didn't happen.

Say this for the Warrens, they were excellent at manipulating their audience. I've read them described as "ambulance chasers", and there's an element of that. But they're still managing to manipulate the facts... from beyond the grave! Maybe they were onto something!

Malignant: Not quite what I was expecting. It opens in 1993 at a strange hospital where young patients are being experimented on. One of them gets free and uses their ability to manipulate electricity and extreme strength to kill staff members before being subdued. Real X-Men/Mutants stuff. Skipping forward to 2020, Madison is injured by her abusive husband Derek, then electrical appliances go crazy and a shadowy figure who is invisible in light kills Derek. Madison develops the ability to see murders as they are occurring. Pretty gruesome, with many violent killings, battered to death with a trophy, stabbed with a dagger fashioned from that very award. In one police lock up cell a veritable massacre takes place. Dark corridors, a dark house, an attic lit through an airfan window where a prisoner is kept ties to a wall. We see more of the horribly disfigured assassin as he battles with police and slays his victims. The tension is maintained throughout the film as the action proceeds at a relentless pace. A good horror thriller with a few twists and surprises. Directed by James Wan, Written by Wan and Akela Cooper. 8/10.

In cinemas.

It's great that Jamie Lee Curtis has realised what people truly like to watch her do is beat up bad guys in horror movies, and she's really going for it now.
I think that she has always embraced her acting past. She has never downplayed the Halloween movie that made her well known. She also did Terror Train and several other B horror movies.

Jamie Lee is a great actor with great comedic talent. A couple of her non horror movies that I recall off the top of my head are True Lies and A Fish Called Wanda.

She also did the tv series horror/comedy Scream Queens. If you have not seen it, look it up. It is quite funny and has some great actors in it (Emma Roberts is another funny talented actor)

I have always enjoyed her movies, horror or otherwise.

It's great that Jamie Lee Curtis has realised what people truly like to watch her do is beat up bad guys in horror movies, and she's really going for it now.
I also liked her as that aerobics instructor in her leotards in 'PERFECT' ... and when she got her love puppies out in 'Trading Places' .. corrr .. I nearly dropped my bacon sandwich! ..

As they are new it is your duty to bully them, you should given them a dead arm and got them in a headlock.

I think that she has always embraced her acting past. She has never downplayed the Halloween movie that made her well known. She also did Terror Train and several other B horror movies.

Jamie Lee is a great actor with great comedic talent. A couple of her non horror movies that I recall off the top of my head are True Lies and A Fish Called Wanda.

She also did the tv series horror/comedy Scream Queens. If you have not seen it, look it up. It is quite funny and has some great actors in it (Emma Roberts is another funny talented actor)

Great in 'Trading Places' and 'A Fish Called Wanda'

She did but these brand new films in the series are asking us to forget about that and every other film in the franchise except for the original.

The original and the first Halloween II, I think (so they get the brother connection). That's right, there are two films called Halloween II.

Didn't see Scream Queens, but it was lovely to see her in Knives Out a couple of years ago. And yeah, she's always been grateful to Halloween, which is great.

The original and the first Halloween II, I think (so they get the brother connection). That's right, there are two films called Halloween II.
I thought the new 2018 Halloween had decided Michael wasn't Laurie' brother? .. unless that was some bullshit Laurie's told her grand daughter?...

skip to 0:54 in the 2018 trailer where it's talked about ..

That clip may be denying the brother connection, but you'd still have to have Halloween II (1981) for them to make the connection in the first place.

You had me doubting my memory, @Swifty - so here's the IMDB connections page for 2018 Halloween:
Link

According to it, the 2018 one makes reference to pretty much all the series! So I'm assuming Halloween II (1981) still counts, unless anyone can disabuse me of that?

You had me doubting my memory, @Swifty - so here's the IMDB connections page for 2018 Halloween:
Link

According to it, the 2018 one makes reference to pretty much all the series! So I'm assuming Halloween II (1981) still counts, unless anyone can disabuse me of that?
I'm not 100% sure either mate. I posted a pre release interview about the 2018 film somewhere in this thread, I'll see if I can find it. I hope he still is her brother.

edit: nope, he's not her brother in the new Halloween universe ..

https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/hallo...(Jamie Lee Curtis) are not brother and sister.

Well, that's my world shaken to its foundations! Or maybe I just forgot about the 2018 bit about it. I'll get over it.

Well, that's my world shaken to its foundations! Or maybe I just forgot about the 2018 bit about it. I'll get over it.
I wasn't sure tbh ... I only remembered that teen chat bit .. so the director basically thought "Fuck it .. Mikes scary anyway and I'm the director ? .. so I can do whatever the fuck I want!" .. a dick move. :mad: It's a different director for Halloween Kills called David Gordon Green so maybe this film or the final one will have Laurie find out he's her brother which will piss of OG fans: ' "Erm yeah? .. we already knew that?" ..

That would be like asking OG fans to now ignore every Stars Wars expect the 1st A New Hope, then making three new sequels and then revealing that Darth is Lukes father in act 2 of the last one.

Last edited:
Intrusion (2021).

A straight to Netflix home invasion thriller, with one of the most predictable and cliché-ridden scripts imaginable.
If you don't guess the telegraphed twist within 15 minutes, you haven't been paying attention.
Utterly implausible throughout and Freida Pinto's perpetual rabbit-in-the-headlights expression will sorely try your patience too. I stayed the course for what felt like a seriously overlong 93 minutes, in the hope that a proper twist was coming, but it wasn't.
2/10.

Intrusion (2021).

A straight to Netflix home invasion thriller, with one of the most predictable and cliché-ridden scripts imaginable.
If you don't guess the telegraphed twist within 15 minutes, you haven't been paying attention.
Utterly implausible throughout and Freida Pinto's perpetual rabbit-in-the-headlights expression will sorely try your patience too. I stayed the course for what felt like a seriously overlong 93 minutes, in the hope that a proper twist was coming, but it wasn't.
2/10.

I lasted the course as well, not great, maybe a 4/10.

Also watched 2020 adaptation of Henry James ghost story The Turn of the Screw "The Turning".

Any film adaptation will obviously be compared with the utterly sublime 1961 movie "The Innocents" and, therefore, my expectations weren't very high.
In that respect, I wasn't too disappointed.
The original story and 1961 movie were set in rural England (Essex I believe) and had a very English gothic vibe, whereas this version doesn't specify a location, but the children's American/Canadian accents were painfully obvious from the start.
The original was renowned for the sheer creepiness of Miles and Flora. Whilst young Brooklynn Prince puts in a good performance as the rather other-worldly Flora here, Finn Wolfhard (great name!) struck me as somewhat too old to play Miles. Instead of the disturbing old-beyond-his-years vibe of Martin Stephens in the original, Wolfhard plays Miles rather like a surly adolescent, with his electric guitar and drum kit, with a vibe straying dangerously close to Harry Enfield's Kevin and Perry sketch.
Lots of CGI shots, including the now obligatory ghastly but fleeting reflection in a mirror, cannot compensate for a disappointingly flat atmosphere.
The WTF ending will leave you feeling very short-changed too.

Maybe 3/10.

Also watched 2020 adaptation of Henry James ghost story The Turn of the Screw "The Turning".

Any film adaptation will obviously be compared with the utterly sublime 1961 movie "The Innocents" and, therefore, my expectations weren't very high.
In that respect, I wasn't too disappointed.
The original story and 1961 movie were set in rural England (Essex I believe) and had a very English gothic vibe, whereas this version doesn't specify a location, but the children's American/Canadian accents were painfully obvious from the start.
The original was renowned for the sheer creepiness of Miles and Flora. Whilst young Brooklynn Prince puts in a good performance as the rather other-worldly Flora here, Finn Wolfhard (great name!) struck me as somewhat too old to play Miles. Instead of the disturbing old-beyond-his-years vibe of Martin Stephens in the original, Wolfhard plays Miles rather like a surly adolescent, with his electric guitar and drum kit, with a vibe straying dangerously close to Harry Enfield's Kevin and Perry sketch.
Lots of CGI shots, including the now obligatory ghastly but fleeting reflection in a mirror, cannot compensate for a disappointingly flat atmosphere.
The WTF ending will leave you feeling very short-changed too.

Maybe 3/10.

It was a disappointment but I found more saving graces in it than you did.

The Turning: Not at all as bad as some critics suggest but not a a particularly good film either. Perhaps too many jump shocks, some of which are inserted for no discernible purpose as they don't advance the narrative. It's the non-supernatural which work best, an angry horse and a trapdoor spider. MacKenzie Davis is good as the new governess Kate and it's not really her fault that the script makes her ignore all of the warnings. Even a Terminator would have difficulties with the children, Brooklynn Prince as Flora cuts the heads off dolls and takes advice from a special doll; Finn Wolfhard is Miles, a truculent teen, he likes spiders and knows what Kate dreams about and has a friend who lives in a mirror. Barbara Marten is the creepy housekeeper, Mrs Grose. The house itself is rambling but less so than the screenplay. This is a just about watchable horror film with a confusing ending or perhaps two endings. Directed by Floria Sigismondi from a script by Carey and chad Hayes, adapted from The Turn Of The Screw by Henry James. 5/10.

It was a disappointment but I found more saving graces in it than you did.

The Turning: Not at all as bad as some critics suggest but not a a particularly good film either. Perhaps too many jump shocks, some of which are inserted for no discernible purpose as they don't advance the narrative. It's the non-supernatural which work best, an angry horse and a trapdoor spider. MacKenzie Davis is good as the new governess Kate and it's not really her fault that the script makes her ignore all of the warnings. Even a Terminator would have difficulties with the children, Brooklynn Prince as Flora cuts the heads off dolls and takes advice from a special doll; Finn Wolfhard is Miles, a truculent teen, he likes spiders and knows what Kate dreams about and has a friend who lives in a mirror. Barbara Marten is the creepy housekeeper, Mrs Grose. The house itself is rambling but less so than the screenplay. This is a just about watchable horror film with a confusing ending or perhaps two endings. Directed by Floria Sigismondi from a script by Carey and chad Hayes, adapted from The Turn Of The Screw by Henry James. 5/10.

Fair enough.
Had I never seen the 1961 version, my review would probably have been more generous.

No One Gets Out Alive: A ramshackle old home, turned into a boarding house is one of the main stars of this film. It's corridors and dark rooms contain creaks, cries and noises, suggestions that something strange is going on. We know from the prologue that the residence is connected to an archaeological expedition to Meso-America and artifacts from the mission are stored there. Ambar (Cristina Rodlo) is an immigrant, hiding her illegal status, exploited in a sweatshop, trying to buy papers. She moves into the boarding house and encounters ghosts. A tale of terror, exploitation and human sacrifice. Some good ghostly apparitions together with poltergeist effects. This is also a story of a struggle for survival in the physical and spiritual senses, both inside and without the house. very much influenced by Meso-American mythology. Directed by Santiago Menghini, screenplay by Jon Croker and Fernanda Coppel, based on the 2014 novel by Adam Nevill. On Netflix. 7/10.

Back