• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
No One Gets Out Alive: A ramshackle old home, turned into a boarding house is one of the main stars of this film. It's corridors and dark rooms contain creaks, cries and noises, suggestions that something strange is going on. We know from the prologue that the residence is connected to an archaeological expedition to Meso-America and artifacts from the mission are stored there. Ambar (Cristina Rodlo) is an immigrant, hiding her illegal status, exploited in a sweatshop, trying to buy papers. She moves into the boarding house and encounters ghosts. A tale of terror, exploitation and human sacrifice. Some good ghostly apparitions together with poltergeist effects. This is also a story of a struggle for survival in the physical and spiritual senses, both inside and without the house. very much influenced by Meso-American mythology. Directed by Santiago Menghini, screenplay by Jon Croker and Fernanda Coppel, based on the 2014 novel by Adam Nevill. On Netflix. 7/10.

You and I do seem to watch the same movies!
Watched this only last night with my wife.
A suitably dark and gothic backdrop and a particularly hideous monster.
That's the first time I can recall a Macuahuitl being wielded in a movie.
Seemed to end a bit abruptly though.
I agree with 7/10.

Last edited:
facebook_1633650674367_6852027558100844157.jpg

Watched the original Candyman for the first time, quite liked it, nicely atmospheric in the first act. The voice effect is creepy but once you see him for "real" it does let things down a bit that he's just a guy in a trench coat, after all the build up. The film does one of my pet hates in horror - invoking nonsense bollocks about "exquisite" pain in a vaguely sexual or even romantic way, I suppose that's not surprising as the source material is Clive Barker. Will watch the newer one soon, I am slightly concerned as the director was recently on a podcast and didn't like John Carpenter's The Fog. :dunno:

Also Pandorum, I vaguely recall the title and that it was a Sci Fi/Horror type thing. I watched it as it was recently reviewed positively on a podcast and I'm a bit of a sucker for Space Horror/Madness. This is trashy but pretty good, there do end up being a few too many elements - there's the protagonist who knows as much as us, space madness, creatures, and a final reveal but I mostly enjoyed it.

I think the conceit of the orc-like things who do not seem like an invading alien species - too primitive and animalistic, being long awoken crew who having evolved to to be adapted to a non-functioning ship is a good one, would perhaps have liked to have seen more done with that. There's a pointless "happy ending" where the 1200 or so survivors are cast onto an alien planet with no technology and the human race on Earth wiped out, they should have good for a more obvious bleaker ending given that it's essentially a horror film rather than this studio note compromise. Also the plot complication of "pandorum" felt like it could have potentially been a whole film on it's own and gets relatively short shrift here.

That's the most realistic depiction of space madness I've seen.
Yeah, you've got to wonder at how useful a spacesuit would be if the helmet allowed ears to poke through into the vacuum of space.

Yeah, you've got to wonder at how useful a spacesuit would be if the helmet allowed ears to poke through into the vacuum of space.

In space no one can hear you... because there are no ear holes in your space helmet.

There's Someone Inside Your House: Disappointing Slasher film. Someone is murdering High School Seniors. S/he knows their guilty secrets. Some gruesome murders, guy having his Achilles tendons slashed, stabbed while sheltering in a confession box but even that gets tedious as the film drags. "Directed" by Patrick Brice, "written" by Henry Gayden. On Netflix. Giving it 4/10 because some of the cast did try.

Till Death: What's worse than waking up to find that you're chained to a corpse? Maybe waking up handcuffed to your husband, he tells you that he knows about your affair, then shoots himself in the head. That's what happens to Emma (Megan Fox). She's in an isolated cabin, no sharp knives, no phone coverage, car not working. The guy she was having the affair with is tricked into coming to the cabin but a crazed man who had previously tried to kill her also arrives (with a sidekick) and kills her lover. The fun begins. She finds her ex a bit of drag as she tries to evade the killers. Tension is maintained as the chase/battle continues within the house, in sheds and on a frozen lake. Some savage stabbings and shootings. Nothing extraordinary about it but this is an enjoyable horror/thriller. Directed by S.K. Dale, written by Jason Carvey. On Netflix. 7/10.

New Scream trailer:

Well, Halloween did it. Opening January, which is becoming the new Halloween (Oct 31st) for horror movies with low expectations.
They should instead make a film about Danny Rolling, the Gainesville Ripper that Scream was based on ..

I always thought "Scream" was just a satire on horror movies in general. I've never heard of the Gainsville Ripper.

That was 'scary movie'
Scary Movie was crap (imo) and came after Scream. Scream was the one where everyone sat around and commented on the rules of horror movies before wandering off and breaking the said rules and getting killed. Fun horror/comedy.

I saw Scary Movie with one of my brothers in the theatre and the only time that both of us laughed was when the cheerleader's head was chopped off and it continued to talk. Dead silence in the theatre except the two of us killing ourselves laughing. Guess no one else there had the same sense of humour :rofl:.

The original Scream is interesting, it's a satire on slasher movies that nevertheless doesn't skimp on the horror. Some of it is very funny, other bits are very nasty. It was so influential that it's impossible to watch with the same impact it had back when it was released, but in 1997 when I saw it it played like gangbusters (not Ghostbusters).

The original Scream is interesting, it's a satire on slasher movies that nevertheless doesn't skimp on the horror. Some of it is very funny, other bits are very nasty. It was so influential that it's impossible to watch with the same impact it had back when it was released, but in 1997 when I saw it it played like gangbusters (not Ghostbusters).
And I appreciated that the writer(s) did give clues that did allow you to figure out who the killer was. I waffled on who I thought it might be until near the end and I did find the logical (and correct) answer :).

The original 1978 Halloween movie and music is my favorite.

I saw a documentary just recently where John Carpenter and his friends did all the work by themselves on a budget of $300,000 and the Panavision Cameras ate $70,000 of the budget.

Nick Castle who played Michael Myers’s was just a stage hand.

Donald Pleasence stayed drunk most of the time, but still delivered perfect lines.

Jamie Lee Curtis helped all the other actors with what ever problems they were having on the set.

The film went on to make $80 million dollars on a $ 300 thousand investment.

This doesn't look bad, 'No Man Of God', a dramatization that details Ted Bundy's last hours as he gives exclusive interviews to one guy only (played by Elijah Wood) ..

https://www.aintitcool.com/no-man-of-god-giveaway-83255/

.. a scene from the film

It's mostly like a filmed play, a two-hander where they talk and talk. It's interesting, but gives Bundy too much credit for being as fascinating as he thought he was (he wasn't - he was a bore and a loser). Well acted, though. And it's not his last hours, it's his last years (!).

Back