• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
I saw Choose or Die on Friday night (Netflix)

Modern day tech savvy teens discover and fire up an analogue BASIC you choose adventure game from the 80's. the kicker is that the game is in fact cursed and that the options presented actually happen and once a game is started it can not be stopped. The options given to the players typically result in chooses that result in horrible deaths and harm coming to friends and family members. Our main character a college drop out who is working as cleaner to pay for her ill mother in a sink flat and seeing off the attention of local scum bags must unravel the game to beat it. The ending does become a bit surreal, but I enjoyed this. Not much to think about ideal movie to be enjoyed as I did catching up with my brother over a beer and takeaway after a tiring stressful week, good fun to watch while having a laugh.

I saw Choose or Die on Friday night (Netflix)

Modern day tech savvy teens discover and fire up an analogue BASIC you choose adventure game from the 80's. the kicker is that the game is in fact cursed and that the options presented actually happen and once a game is started it can not be stopped. The options given to the players typically result in chooses that result in horrible deaths and harm coming to friends and family members. Our main character a college drop out who is working as cleaner to pay for her ill mother in a sink flat and seeing off the attention of local scum bags must unravel the game to beat it. The ending does become a bit surreal, but I enjoyed this. Not much to think about ideal movie to be enjoyed as I did catching up with my brother over a beer and takeaway after a tiring stressful week, good fun to watch while having a laugh.

Certainly an enjoyable film, I'd give it 7/10.

Antlers.
A 2020 movie that seeks (not particularly successfully) to put some flesh on the bones of the Wendigo myth.
There's mangled corpses and viscera galore and a memorable performance from young Jeremy T Thomas, as the schoolboy trying to cope with some horrific domestic problems.
It's a painfully slow-burner of a movie though, that feels at least 20 minutes too long and the whole raision d'être behind the native American spirit beast preying on people is never really developed.
My wife had to nudge me to stop me falling asleep around an hour in.
I was left shaking my head sadly and thinking "Is that it?" when the credits rolled.
New to Sky Movies, but only meriting a 5/10 in my book, for a surprisingly dull film about a potentially very interesting topic.
One of the very few films I actually didn't finish this one.

Not sure if this has been mentioned upthread. Yes, several times :) circa 2018. It appears that @ramonmercado has given it a similar rating.

Apostle on Netflix. 7/10 Quite a good movie. Listed as horror, but could also be considered as folk horror.

A village (time 1905) on an island is run by a self made religious leader and two of his friends. A stranger comes to island as his sister has been kidnapped to the island and held for ransom. Why? May not be for reasons that you think.

Not quite what I would call a horror movie as I didn't find it spooky, but fairly well written and filmed and the outcome is different enough from other movies that I did enjoy it.

Not sure if this has been mentioned upthread. Yes, several times :) circa 2018. It appears that @ramonmercado has given it a similar rating.

Apostle on Netflix. 7/10 Quite a good movie. Listed as horror, but could also be considered as folk horror.

A village (time 1905) on an island is run by a self made religious leader and two of his friends. A stranger comes to island as his sister has been kidnapped to the island and held for ransom. Why? May not be for reasons that you think.

Not quite what I would call a horror movie as I didn't find it spooky, but fairly well written and filmed and the outcome is different enough from other movies that I did enjoy it.

Yes it was more Folk Horror with shades of The Wicker Man, pretty savage, I gave it 7.5/10, it would have benefited from a 20 minute cut in it;s running time.

Prey: Eighteen year old Toby (Logan Miller) is suffering from guilt after the death of his father so he enlists on a character building course and is put on a supposedly uninhabited island with basic survival supplies. Monkeys make off with most of his food but stranger things happen. He meets a mysterious teen girl Madeline (Kristine Froseth) who feeds him and teaches him survival skills. but has to go back to her mother every night. Some beast is loose on the island hunting them. More than one mystifying force at play on the island provides some twists and turns. A few good horror scenes but this might have worked better as a Twilight Zone episode Still there's good acting by Miller and Froseth who though older are convincing as teens. Directed/Co-Written by Franck Khalfoun. 6/10.

Saw it on the Horror Channel.

Dashcam: A sort of found footage film which is filmed entirely on an iPhone. Annie (Annie Hardy) is a musician who is fed up with LA so breaks quarantine and flies to London. She has a livestream show where she comments and plays music while driving around but keeps things live on her journey to England. She arrives at an old bandmate's home and turns Stretch's (Amer Chadha-Patel) life upside down because Annie is truly unhinged. Her character may grate on you at first but the sheer lunacy of her actions will endear her to you eventually (I reckon). After alienating Stretch and his partner she fles in his car and is inveigled into giving a sick old woman, Angela, a lift to the outskirts of London. Mayhem ensues as someone in pursuit of angela attacks Annie, eventually even shooting at her. Angela behaves even more oddly displaying strange powers. A gorefest develops, most of which is streamed live except when the signal is lost. The viewers sidebar comments sidebar comments are a howl but pay clise attention to them as one post might well provide an explanation as to what is really going on. Not everyone will like this film and there are many disturbing scenes so of you are squeamish or easily shocked then best to avoid Dashcam. This is one weird Covid horror film. Directed & Co-Written by Rob Savage. 8/10.

He Never Died: Henry Rollins as an immortal who has lived for thousands of years (at least). He seems indestructible - he plucks bullets out of his dead because if he leaves them in they cause migraine. To keep going he has to consume human flesh, he can subsist on amputated limbs from hospitals but living flesh is more nourishing.

His invulnerability doesn't save him from pain or being tracked down by an abandoned daughter. Most of the plot centres around his run ins with local gangsters. But there may be darker forces behind them. On Netflix. 7/10.

She Never Died: Sort of sequel or sidequel to He Never Diied. Same scenario, Lacey is immortal and indestructible, plucks bullets from her flesh. She likes finger food, human fingers. She clashes with a people trafficking organisation and raids a building where they are producing snuff films. She teams up with a detective who has been investigating the cases where she has left partially eaten bodies in her wake. He is more interested in taking down the people-trafficking ring leaders. So she sets off to combat and eat these villains. But this dynamic duo may have bitten off more than they can chew.

Extremely violent and gory, not for the squeamish. Some good fight scenes and Lacey even rescues a pitbull terrier, fortunately for him she's not into hotdogs. Again some supernatural forces become involved. Directed by Audrey Cummings and written by Jason Krawczyk. On the Horror Channel. 7/10.

Spree: Another Social Media film, this one combines live streaming with a ride sharing app called Spree. A rally black comedy combines horror with satire. Stand up comedy, racism, pick up artists and realtors all fall victim the razor sharp wit of director/co-writer Eugene Kotlyarenko and writer Gene McHugh. Most of them also fall victim to Kurt (Joe Keery) a crazed Spree driver who is intent on becoming a Social Media star. For ten years he has failed, rarely getting viewers into double figures. He depends on teen Bobby (Josh Ovalle) to boost his viewers as he sets off on a killing spree. Kurt poisons, stabs, runs over and drill-kills his passengers but Bobby thinks it's all faked so Kurt's killings go largely unviewed. A comedian Jessie (Sasheer Zamata) provides a foil to Kurt's craziness. Spree grosses out with violence especially towards the end of the film but it's difficult not to laugh at the antics. Anyway nothing is grosser as Social Media and the followers of Influencers. Good performances by Keery and Zamata. 8/10.
I saw this on Friday (not sure how I missed it up to this point) very good I really did enjoy it and yes I did let out a shameful laugh here and there not sure what that says about me!

Becky: Not a new concept, an isolated holiday cabin, escaped convicts seeking something hidden there, a family held hostage, a plucky teen. Becky (Lulu Wilson) is more able than your average thirteen year-old though. Savage violence on both sides as Becky takes on the gang. Again not unusual but the sheer gore and ferocity of Becky's fightback makes this film stand out. Tense chases through the woods, ambushes, this is an action driven narrative. Not for the faint of heart or those who swoon at the sight of blood. Directed by Jonathan Milott and Cary Murnion, from a screenplay by Nick Morris, Lane Skye, and Ruckus Skye. 7/10.

Showing again on the Horror Channel on Friday 20th May at 10.50 PM.

Becky: Not a new concept, an isolated holiday cabin, escaped convicts seeking something hidden there, a family held hostage, a plucky teen. Becky (Lulu Wilson) is more able than your average thirteen year-old though. Savage violence on both sides as Becky takes on the gang. Again not unusual but the sheer gore and ferocity of Becky's fightback makes this film stand out. Tense chases through the woods, ambushes, this is an action driven narrative. Not for the faint of heart or those who swoon at the sight of blood. Directed by Jonathan Milott and Cary Murnion, from a screenplay by Nick Morris, Lane Skye, and Ruckus Skye. 7/10.

Showing again on the Horror Channel on Friday 20th May at 10.50 PM.
I watched this today, it's really rather good, Lulu Wilson is outstanding.

The Innocents: Set in an apartment complex which is situated in the midst of a forest, this liminal space provides an ideal setting for young children developing psychic powers. There is much cruelty and bullying carried out by the children which has nothing to do with ESP abilities, even the maltreatment of a profoundly autistic girl and the killing of a cat. What starts with minor displays of telekinesis and telepathy gradually moves on to mind control and murder. Some extremely disturbing scenes, not just of violence, the psychological horror here is especially effective given that three of the main protagonists are around ten years of age. They all would have benefited from attending Professor Xavier's School for Gifted Youngsters for a few semesters. Written and Directed by Eskil Vogt (co-wrote screenplay for Thelma). 8.5/10.

In cinemas.

Looks about as shit as the Banana Splits horror movie. We're living in the age of the cultural vandal.
Honestly? I'm glad that living in an era where film exists hasn't made us really much different as storytellers. Repurposing, rewriting, making new stories with existing characters, that's how lots of folklore and sagas worked and it's good to see that we still build on things in our cultural milieu now. I do suspect we get to see a lot more weird takes (I'd call nightmare!pooh a weird take, but who knows) since we're more connected, but that just makes things interesting.

Winnie The Pooh: Blood and Honey - the public domain slasher of the beloved character we've all been "waiting" for...
https://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/3716533/winnie-the-pooh-horror-movie-blood-and-honey/

giphy.gif

maximus otter

Honestly? I'm glad that living in an era where film exists hasn't made us really much different as storytellers. Repurposing, rewriting, making new stories with existing characters, that's how lots of folklore and sagas worked and it's good to see that we still build on things in our cultural milieu now. I do suspect we get to see a lot more weird takes (I'd call nightmare!pooh a weird take, but who knows) since we're more connected, but that just makes things interesting.

But this isn't interesting, it's taking children's characters beloved for almost a century and pissing all over them for cheap thrills. There has already been a recent film that took a look at the dark side of Winnie the Pooh that treated the characters with respect. It wasn't so great, but it was sincere. This is farting in A.A. Milne's face to bring in the edgelord audience, and that's never a good look.

But this isn't interesting, it's taking children's characters beloved for almost a century and pissing all over them for cheap thrills. There has already been a recent film that took a look at the dark side of Winnie the Pooh that treated the characters with respect. It wasn't so great, but it was sincere. This is farting in A.A. Milne's face to bring in the edgelord audience, and that's never a good look.
On the flip side (though I do understand what you're saying and I occasionally like being devil's advocate:evil:), I don't like that MouseWorld took all folktales and made them into cutesy cartoon movies. The original tales were to warn people of the world.

So saying that, if there was a good dark side Winnie the Pooh tale/movie done, then great. But yes A. A. Milne did write it for his son. But once something is in the public realm, anything for a buck:worry:

Anyone watch Spontaneous on Netflix? Black Comedy/Horror about High School seniors spontaneously exploding, no explosives just bodies erupting spraying gore everywhere, I gave up after 20 minutes but it might just have been my mood at the time.

The Silencing: A guy in a ghillie suit hunts young women in the woods, using an atlatl.(spear thrower). Bodies are found, an alcoholic ex-hunter now running a nature preserve gets mixed up in a troublesome situation with a Sheriff who is looking out for her trouble magnet brother. The hunter's daughter disappeared 5 years ago and he has a lead at last. Red herrings abound with overlapping jurisdictions between the Sheriff and the Indian Tribal police. Some savage and disturbing scenes of violence, even the ghillie suit is made to appear threatening, evoking primeval; terror. The killer hunts through the woods and himself becomes the hunted in some of the best shots. Directed by Robin Pront from a screenplay by Micah Ranum. On Netflix. 7.5/10.

Back