• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Horror TV

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Couldn't find a horror TV thread, so to kick one off there's this:
https://news.avclub.com/zachary-quinto-to-star-in-amcs-nos4a2-as-a-vampire-whos-1829041071

Joe Hill's very decent horror novel of a few years back NOS4A2 (or NOS4R2 if you're in the UK) is getting turned into a TV series, with Zachary Quinto as the lead bad guy. It should make a good serial, though a producer of the perennially underwhelming Fear the Walking Dead is showrunner, so...

Satan is becoming popular on TV again as are his acolytes. Sadly The Exorcist TV show has been cancelled after two seasons though.

Why TV Shows About Satan Are So Popular Right Now

Satan has had a hell of a year. After lingering on the edges of summer horror hitsHereditary and The Nun, he took center stage this fall, tormenting teen witch Sabrina Spellman on The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina and bringing on the end times in American Horror Story: Apocalypse. Even on Riverdalea show that's far more interested in criminal conspiracies and KJ Apa's abs than religion — he looms in the background as the gang tracks possibly-demonic villain the "Gargoyle King."

And there's still more to come: Shay Mitchell's exorcism-gone-wrong horror film, The Possession of Hannah Grace, hits theaters on November 30. In the new year, we'll get a fourth season of Satanic-buddy cop drama Lucifer, and Stranger Things' David Harbour dons the horns for a new Hellboy film. ...

https://www.bustle.com/p/why-tv-shows-about-satan-are-so-popular-right-now-13144016
https://www.meetup.com/Dublin-Horror-Society/discussions/6662221594361856/chat/

Is this the only food they could advertise as "it's really horrible"?

Is this the only food they could advertise as "it's really horrible"?

There used to be a lolly that was black with a red centre and on the wrapper was a blank tombstone. When you took the lolly out, a heat-sensitive reaction took place and a monster would gradually appear on the slab in light blue ink.

There used to be a lolly that was black with a red centre and on the wrapper was a blank tombstone. When you took the lolly out, a heat-sensitive reaction took place and a monster would gradually appear on the slab in light blue ink.

Yes, they were called Magic Monster lollies. I've just been reading about them (hence the recent lolly ad postings)

Yes, they were called Magic Monster lollies. I've just been reading about them (hence the recent lolly ad postings)

I see they weren't black and red and I'm getting mixed up with Black Hole lollies. They should've been black and red.

Hmm... WWDitS was OK, I suppose, I laughed a few times and it is promising, but I was a shade underwhelmed. Not as funny as the film, basically. Ghosts does much the same thing (without the snazzy visual effects) and is a lot funnier. Apparently it takes a while to find its feet, though. The moment I saw the tall vampire I thought "Doug Jones" - credits confirmed it was him!

Partially in Spanish, this looks like fun:
From the minds of Julio Torres and Ana Fabrega, alongside Fred Armisen and Lorne Michaels of Saturday Night Live, comes the Spanish-language comedy Los Espookys. The half-hour, six-episode series follows a group of friends who turn their love for horror into a peculiar business.

Hmm... WWDitS was OK, I suppose, I laughed a few times and it is promising, but I was a shade underwhelmed. Not as funny as the film, basically. Ghosts does much the same thing (without the snazzy visual effects) and is a lot funnier. Apparently it takes a while to find its feet, though. The moment I saw the tall vampire I thought "Doug Jones" - credits confirmed it was him!
i enjoyed it. i thought the inclusion of the 'energy vampire' was a bit cringy in the first episode, but in the 2nd with him 'feeding' at the council meeting it was very apt. also there does seem to be a bit of a story arc (take over staten island). werewolves next week!

What We Do in the Shadows hasn't impressed me... until tonight's double bill, which made me laugh more than the previous episodes combined. Doug Jones as the Baron especially! Shame, er, what happened to him, really. Glad I stuck with it, and I think I'm right in saying all three main vampires are played by Brits.

Er, was that it then? Seemed to be building to something very significant - then the credits rolled! Was that a cliffhanger or did they run out of time?

Er, was that it then? Seemed to be building to something very significant - then the credits rolled! Was that a cliffhanger or did they run out of time?

For some reason I thought this had ended on episode six. Now I've found four more to watch. Totally worth it.

Kingdom: Set in 17th century Korea, a tale of court intrigue and Zombies. Some great Zombie Horde scenes. Just finished Season 1 (6 episodes). S2 has just arrived on Netflix.

Kingdom: Set in 17th century Korea, a tale of court intrigue and Zombies. Some great Zombie Horde scenes. Just finished Season 1 (6 episodes). S2 has just arrived on Netflix.

Season 2 of Kingdom is just as good, the Zombie Horde scenes are perhaps even better. The palace intrigue continues along with Civil War. 9/10.

Bloodride: Norwegian horror anthology. Starts with Ultimate Sacrifice, a family move to the countryside and find that locals follow some old customs. Good Folk Horror. On Netflix.

Brace yourself for true terror... the Runaround Horror Special from 1981:

As if Mike Reid wasn't bad enough, surely the screen's most terrifying Dracula shows up halfway through. One of the prizes is the soundtrack LP for The Shining! The kiddies' favourite, there.

There is a new TV-series coming called Lovecraft Country. The connection to H. P. doesn't seem clear but the trailer has monsters.

The Frankenstein Chronicles (Two Seasons): 1827, an inspector with the river police (Sean Bean) finds a body made from parts of different corpses. Sir Robert Peel transfers him to Bow Street to investigate. Dark adventures involving Mary Shelley, William Blake, Ada (Byron) Lovelace and Charles Dickens. Automatons, reanimation, political scheming, mass murder and the grinding poverty of 1820s London. 8/10. On Netflix.

Mrs Yith has started watching KINGDOM and says it's right up my alley.

It's Joseon-Era Zombies and very stylish/stylised. I'm vaguely amused to see that I recognise so many of the exterior locations they've used.

Mrs Yith has started watching KINGDOM and says it's right up my alley.

It's Joseon-Era Zombies and very stylish/stylised. I'm vaguely amused to see that I recognise so many of the exterior locations they've used.

It's great! Wonderful hordes of zombies along with court intrigue and battles.

Betaal: Indian Zombie series on Netflix. The Zombies are British though, soldiers killed in the 1857 uprising. Developers are intent on exploiting resources in a remote area and decide to get rid of pesky tribal villagers by smearing them as Naxaite guerillas. Paramilitary police (paid off by the developers) are sent in to relocate the villagers. Thge village is destroyed and villagers who try to stop the opening of a tunnel are massacred. Zombies are in the tunnel and soon devour anyone they can get their hands on. Some grat scenes of fighting and biting in the pitch dark tunnel, illustrated by flashes. These zombies can still use their muskerts! 8/10.

Curon: Set in the Italian Tyrol there's a lot of duality going on and not just languages. Anna returns to her old family home with her teen twin children, She left 17 years ago when her mother committed suicide. But she has dreams in whicj something far darker happened. Her father lives alone in the family keep with his pet wolf. The local villagers don't like the family, they blame them for a past tragedy when the valley flooded. Great scenes of a submerged church, only it's bell tower rising above the lake. Doppelgangers also emerge from the lake,. Interesting horror with both Gothic and Folk twists. An interesting concept but could have been handled better, direction is lack lustre at times and the chronology holding the tale together doesn't always quite fit, a problem all too common in dramas. Still the acting is good and this series is worth watching. 7/10. On Netflix.

Reality Z: Zombie show with a bite. Best Zombie action I've seen since Black Summer. These aren't walkers, they're runners! They savagely bite and eat their victims. Set in Brazil, there is even an outbreak in Congress as MPs turn on each other. City on fire as civilization breaks down. Main focus of the action is a Big Brother style tv show based on the Mount Olympus Mythos. The studio gets overrun by hordes of Zombies, staff turn on one another, the producer/voice of Zeus sacrifices a wheelchair bound colleague to fend off a Zombie. A production assistant takes shelter in the Mount Olympus set which is cut off from the outside world. A satire with a dark strain of humour running through the horror. This is Dead Set for a new post Walking Dead generation who demand more bite for their buck. 8/10. On Netflix.

Ooh, The Woman in Black - the Nigel Kneale version off the TV - is coming out on disc:
News from Network

Trailer at the link. Audio commentary from Mark Gatiss and Kim Newman. Many say this is one of the scariest TV plays ever broadcast.
It's out now...
The Woman In Black: why did Britain's scariest horror film disappear?

Herbert Wise’s 1989 TV gem wowed critics, inspired Oscar-winners and ruined Christmas for a generation. Then it was never seen again … until now
https://www.theguardian.com/film/2020/aug/07/the-woman-in-black-britain-horror-film-herbert-wise

Watched first episode of Lovecraft County. Loved it. It is deliciously pulpy scifi/horror.

It has a good cast. Michael K. Williams (from Hap and Leonard) is one of my favourite actors. I'm looking forward to seeing him in this series.

Back