Horse Eels

Xanatic*

Justified & Ancient
It's only recently that I heard about this cryptid. I wanted to hear people's thoughts on the plausibility of this. As I understand, eels have special bones that means not much is left behind. So I guess we won't find any skulls laying around.

Anonymous-50446

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
I'm a big fan myself. The notion of a very large fresh water eel does have some credibility to my mind. We know little about most of the family, a decent population of whacking great 'anguilla equus' might easily exist in remote marshy areas.

You hardly ever see eels in lakes (unless you hook them). I've been fishing for almost 40 years and barring a few I've seen in clear streams have only once seen an eel in a lake. If behaviour was similar, I'd think it likely there could be a a fair few 'anguilla equus' about in some places and we'd hardly ever notice them.

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
A Page About Horse Eels Here.

Many stories about these amphibious things haunting the margins of Irish lakes places them in a supernatural category - they were feared for their predation on cattle and humans, which rules out membership of the eel family entirely, I think.

Thomas Crofton Croker, mentioned as a main authority on that page, was known for spinning out his yarns but the horse eel's misty domains have encouraged many later accounts.

This thread refers to the "horse leech" - another name for the thing.

The link to a Blather article no longer works as the article, which I vaguely remember, is no longer on that site.

edit 3.50 pm: An article on the 1954 sighting of a horse-eel at Lough Fadda.

edit 2, 3.53 pm: The 1998 article by Daev Walsh of Blather has been located! :)

edit 3, 4.04 pm: Horse Eels depicted in Grattan Bridge Sculptures?

Last edited:

lordmongrove

Justified & Ancient
A giant eel or 25-30 feet would be a formidable predator, easily capable of killing horses , cattle or men.

Xanatic*

Justified & Ancient
I guess it might tie into kelpies, weren't they usually described as horse-like?

Anonymous-50446

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
A giant eel or 25-30 feet would be a formidable predator, easily capable of killing horses , cattle or men.
I doubt they're that big. I think it more likely they're conger eel sized, 40-50lb, perhaps occasionally 100lb.

Still formidable and eels are quite fearless. I don't doubt a 50lb eel would take a bite out of anything, horse face or leg, but I doubt one would be able to pull in a horse.

Last edited:

lordmongrove

Justified & Ancient
There is a book called A Life on the Boyne that talks about two eels 10 and 12 feet long that died after eating poison in an Irish lake. They were supposedly photographed on the steps of a big house in the area.

Anonymous-50446

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
There is a book called A Life on the Boyne that talks about two eels 10 and 12 feet long that died after eating poison in an Irish lake. They were supposedly photographed on the steps of a big house in the area.
That sounds like the kind of thing.

A 3m conger can be 200lb. If that photo existed it would be very interesting indeed.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Just a note ...

The title of the book is A Life By The Boyne, authored by a Jim Reynolds (Zircon Publishing Ltd., 1989). I've also seen it listed once with a 1984 publication date.