• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Horse Eels

I'm sure you've all seen Jonathan Bright's Loch Ness photo from 2013, showing what could be one of those 'water horses':

View attachment 54492

Very strange photo. On zooming in one can see two eyes, two 'horns' or ears, nostrils, a hairy ridge at the back of the head, even an open mouth with water pouring out.
If it's just a wave it's a very odd one.
I have spent a lot of time in, on, and around water as a boater, canoeist, former diver, etc.

To me, that looks like normal interference between two crossing waves. You can see similar crests in the background.

The main direction of the waves is caused by the wind. A second set of waves at more or less right angles may be caused by a reflection from the shore or by a boat's wake.

Where the waves cross, the heights of the two waves are added, making more or less a pyramid of water, and sometimes spray. On a big scale, it can be dangerous: I was once nearly capsized by one when I was in a small motor boat.

As the waves are both moving, the point where they cross also moves.

The horns, eyes, mane, etc. are pareidolia. The same principle as seeing faces in the clouds.

Back