• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Horse Mutilations

Good thing they aren't happening near christmas or easter, or they'd be blaming those pesky christians :rolleyes:

To be fair they don't actually accuse pagans or witches. They point out a link between the significance of symbolism and timing that has occured in the attacks. Much like several serial killers have employed symbolism borrowed from the bible, but could by no means be called Christian in denomination or behaviour.

Unfortunately, because paganism is a blanket term for a diverse groups of religious beliefs and witchcraft has associations with wiccanism but has very different historical and cultural connotations this can lead to a large community being tarred with the same brush.

"Horse incidents do seem to occur in flurries and they have started again now before Hallowe'en"
When have these previous 'flurries' occurred? Around other pagan festivals or has there been no previous 'pattern'?Does anyone out there know?

These allegations are based on a report issued by something called the National Equine Welfare Society. I've been to their website and can't find any mention of it. There's nothing about it on any of the other animal welfare sites that I've tried. So we have no idea at the moment of what this report actually says - if it exists at all.
The quote about attacks happening around pagan festivals "between October and Easter" doesn't make me confident that whoever wrote it knows anything at all about paganism or pagan festivals.

Update

Karin Attwood of the Rollrights Trust has been investigating this story and has asked everyone to post this from her:
the lady who runs the British Equine Assoc happens to live in the same town as me and I've been talking to her most of this evening...
She at no time mentioned the word Pagan - this news item has come about as the result of an internal email asking members to report anything unusual to do with attacks on horse following a spate of attacks in the Notts area.
Someone (not sure who) suggested that the attacks coincided with the Pagan Calendar. All she was trying to do was build a profile of when, where and what.... The mention of the word Pagan seems to have originated in Scotland by some person who did not realise that a whole community of people use the
title to describe themselves. The lady concerned has since apologised.
Indeed the Scottish PF is jointly investigating the attacks with the animal protection group. An offer of the same has been made an accepted by the British Equine Assoc'.
So, it's another case of ignorance... (Wish the Beeb would stop quoting bloody Kevin Carlyon as an expert on Paganism)

I can't belive such attacks are being carried out by any serious groups, aside from all the respect for nature practised by the majority of occult/pagan groups, who in their right mind would think that a savage attack on a horse could possibly have spiritual meaning?!

I think it's either bored/drugged up teens or people with a sick fetish.

Kitty.

what traditions would encourage this and why?

Nothing specific, really.

Any 'experts' claiming otherwise are just attention seeking.

I agree with KittyRice. Who ever is doing this has no respect for life or nature whatsoever.:mad:

I too think it is sick individuals rather than any organised group.

The thing that always puzzles me is why do the horses allow it to happen? They're intellient, powerful creatures :confused:

Jane.

Yes but if there are enough people I imagine it's possible to subdue them.

They're intellient, powerful creatures
Well they're certainly powerful. Are they intelligent? I'm not sure.

Horses are certainly strange, lovely and enigmatic. But if they're intelligent - then they're intelligent in a way I don't understand. They seem to have a completely different perception.

They're so strange and sensitive. Like how a particular route can spook them for no obvious reason. Or a particular branch or bit of hedge. Very difficult to figure them out.

Horses largely speaking are really quite evil, and this is a person speaking from experience, having fallen off a horse three times already ! Still doesn't put me off riding though, and of course horses are yummy to eat too............

Horses are intelligent but their way of thinking is that of an animal adapted to living on open plains and trying not to get eaten by lions - most of the behaviours that seem weird to us are logical consequences of that. They learn very fast though if you can explain what you are trying to teach them in terms they understand.

I suspect the majority of attacks are happening in stables, where the horses can't get away.

My impression was that it is likely to be some satanism obsessed psychopath rather than a part of any genuine magical tradition, but I thought people here would know if it was.

Hi all,
Does anyone have any reliable info on the perpetrators of horse-ripping in cases that have been solved? I have a vague recollection that several cases were carried out by people suffering from mental illness and others by yer common or garden scumbag teenage thug.
It seems that a recent occurrence is being blamed on pagan groups particaipating solstice rituals and I'd like to get reliable evidnece that this is not usually the case for someone who thinks otherwise.
TIA

wild horses

It's another smear.
No magickal traditions I know of have horse mutilation.
I would guess this is more lazy sensationalist journalism. No evidence and plenty of conjecture.

93 93 93

Peter Grey

The report in the link is typical of these attacks.

I read a piece about this yonks ago, so my reccollection is pretty hazy. I in no way claim these as facts. IIRC:

Not all attacks are of the nighttime gential/mutilation type. So you have to seperate out those carried out as random acts of mindless violence.

The attacks are all in the open, and often/usually had a genital focus.
Horses in foal were sometimes singled out.
The attackers knew at least a little about horses.
There was a suggestion of sedation in a few cases.
There was evidence of multiple people at the scenes.
There were artifacts at the scenes, which could be construed as occult, but were vague enough to be bogus.
There was a definate MO.

IIRC the conclusion was that a small number of people who had some wierd Horse fetish had somehow grouped and were carrying out these attacks, but it was a tenuous explanation to say the least. IMO the attacks are spread so wide that this alleged group would be nomadic.

Totally wierd. Thats all I 've got, other than to see if anyone else saw that documentry a few years back about the group of blokes (and one woman) who, err how can I put this, have relations with their animals openly. How do these people meet and form groups?

On second thoughts please leave that unanswered.

That is PRECISELY what I was going to say!

Zoophiliacs have genuine loving and sexual relationships with their animals (I personally think its physical and emotional abuse of animals but these people refuse to see that) so there's nothing to say that within this small hidden community there are deviants as there are in human to human relationships. We have rapists. The zoophiliacs (who i think are rapists by our standards but not theirs) have these 'rapists' too. Bizarre concept i know but so is zoophilia and there's enough of them to produce people even more wierd than they are.

They are sick sick b*stards!

The worst part for me was when they spoke to the woman who's husband had left her because of her dog, etc. and they asked her how she knew the dog 'wanted' her and she said coyly 'oh...I know all right...he gets this look in his eye...':cross eye :cross eye :(

And they find eachother over the internet - the programme showed that every one of them had contact with others through the net!

I know of only one legend involving the mutilation of horses. The Mabinogi
...And next day they arose, and all they of the court, and the officers began to equip and to range the horses and the attendants, and they ranged them in order as far as the sea. And behold one day Efnissyen, the quarrelsome man, came by chance into the place, where the horses of Matholwch were, and asked whose horses they might be. "They are the horses of Matholwch, king of Ieland, who is married to Branwen, thy sister; his horses are they." "And is it thus they have done with a maiden such as she, and moreover my sister, bestowing her without my consent? They could have offered no greater insult to me than this," said he. And thereupon he rushed under the horses and cut off their lips at their teeth, and their ears close to their heads, and their tails close to their backs, and wherever he could clutch their eyelids, he cut them to the very bone, and he disfigured the horses and rendered them useless...

Is this peculiar to the British? Another motive could be jealousy, as owning horses is seen as something of an elitist pursuit. That raises the question, though, of why don't they just shoot them. Maybe these attacks are designed for maximum impact and sufferage.

Some charming person put my contact details on one of these Zoophile boards and I had all sorts of exciting offers. If anyone has an idle chainsaw handy and stalking experience, I'll happily pass on the address of the board if you PM me.

There are some seriously damaged people out there, I only swear when absolutely necessary and I was driven to some very coarse descriptions of these entities. Kept it clean for you guys tho . . .

Kitty.

'Mars attacks'

Not again ... :hmph: :rolleyes:

ANOTHER horse has been injured in an attack which is thought to be linked to the occult calendar.
The attack took place last week in Laurencekirk, Kincardineshire, around the time when the Earth and Mars were less than 40 million miles apart, it has emerged.

Followers of the occult calendar believe that Mars is the god of horses. Yesterday, Grampian Police and the Scottish Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (SSPCA) said inquiries into the incident were ongoing and renewed their appeals to horse owners to come forward if they had seen anything unusual on their own animals.

Horse owners have also reported finding ritualistic symbols hidden in corners of fields, ranging from tiny stone altars to pre-Christian power signs such as double-headed axes.

The SSPCA enlisted the help of Richard Hoskins, an expert in religiously motivated crime, earlier this year to help investigate the attacks.

Mr Hoskins, who lectures on religion at Bath Spa University, is the official cultural adviser to the "Adam" case, in which the torso of a young boy was found floating in the River Thames.

Experts believe last week's horse attack may have been carried out by a shaman or witch desperate to take advantage of the astrological and astronomical position of the planets.

Excerpt from;-

http://www.theherald.co.uk/news/archive/5-9-19103-0-25-38.html

Reat Easy Everybody!

The Ambridge Horse Slasher Has Been Caught!

It was Susan's Brother, Clive Horobin, after all, not Edward!
BBC Radio 4: The Archers Friday-5th September-03, Synopisis

Usha has a difficult client
Usha interviews Clive Horrobin, who has been arrested for the horse slashing, in a room at the police station. She becomes annoyed when Clive is totally unresponsive: he clearly resents Usha and everything she stands for. Usha is frustrated as she tries to work out why Clive would want to target Shula and Alistair. She warns Clive about the strength of the evidence against him. In the Carter household, Susan tries to come to terms with the fact that her brother has been arrested for slashing Shula’s horses. Neil is angry that, yet again, Clive has ruined things for the family. Later, Susan despairs as she talks about the horrible looks that some people in the village (namely Derek Fletcher and Jean Harvey) have given her. Susan goes over the events of the previous night with Neil. She wishes that it hadn’t been him that had found Clive. She tells Neil that she wants to go and visit her brother, but Neil is firm: he doesn’t want her going anywhere near him.

Shula cannot believe that the ordeal at The Stables is finally over. She and Alistair cannot understand why Clive would want to target them. A tired Alistair makes his way to Brookfield to carry out the TB tests. Shula reassures Daniel that, now the slasher has been caught, they have nothing to be afraid of anymore. David and Ruth are anxious as Alistair carries out the tests. Alistair tells them how relieved he is that the whole thing is over. They discuss Clive, and later Ruth calls Shula to offer her support. Shula confesses to being anxious about seeing Susan and Neil – and worried about the chance that Clive might get bail.
Ancient 'Archers' traditions are maintained, the lower orders acting true to stereotype, as usual. ;)

Couldn't be Nigel, with a kinky horse fetish? Oh no!

Oh thankyou very much. I was going to listen to the omnibus :mad:

beakboo said:
Oh thankyou very much. I was going to listen to the omnibus :mad:
I'm very sorry, BB. :(

But, let's face it, if some really nasty crime has been committed in Ambridge, it's always Clive Horrobin that's committed it.

I'd forgotten about the Omnibus Edition.

That's OK, to tell you the truth, I haven't been listening for that long, and I have no idea who Clive Horrible is, though he sure sounds a nasty piece of work. Even more annoying than David Archer.
I actually thought it might be Daniel, Shula's son, but I'm told he's not tall enough to slash horses.

Odd to see The Archers in the esoterica section. What's next? Britney Spears in Cryptozoology? The Flumps in Paraspsychology?

On a more-horse slashing note, my good lady swears that one of the nasty-looking horsey scars featured in the latest FT looks very like an aggravated St John's Wort allergy (?). I know nowt about horses tho' so i'll take her word.

The Yithian said:
Odd to see The Archers in the esoterica section. What's next? Britney Spears in Cryptozoology? The Flumps in Paraspsychology?
The Archers has had Fortean stories and plotlines running, regularily over the decades, since at least the late Sixties, actually.

UFOs, ghosts, New Age magic(k) (thanks to Kate), mysterious disappearances, you name it, there's been a soapy, countryfied, not to say gentrified, exploration of it at some point or other, over the last half century. ;)

Back