• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Horse Mutilations

I remember reading somewhere(the book title us in my shot locker at the back)that bigfoot and fairies have been to known to Platt horses manes and tails...seems almost a similar story to the cat mutilation that seems to be constantly going on...?!

Possible horse-ripping incident in Götene - abdominal injuries.
There was a local incident some years ago, that made no sense.

The farm involved was in the middle of nowhere and only accessible via a long drive.

I had a look online and discovered many similar incidents, especially in the U.S.

On many occasions, there turned out to be the same explanation.

As a result of video surveillance, especially infrared at night, the culprit was another horse, frequently one which, 'was incapable of any such thing'.

Maybe a factor in other incidents?

I remember reading somewhere(the book title us in my shot locker at the back)that bigfoot and fairies have been to known to Platt horses manes and tails...seems almost a similar story to the cat mutilation that seems to be constantly going on...?!
I've also heard of horses having their manes platted,as being a sign of them being marked for stealing

or is it rustling?not stealing!

In Australia, we call it duffing, and the person who does it is a duffer.

If we see a pony, or a horse with a plait, we have a fair idea that some preteen girl has been cooing over the animal, and a shod horse with a loose shoe will have a pissed off disposition. The loose shoe will have at least one jagged nail poking out of that particular hoof, and snotty horses will, and do, kick.

Barbed Wire will tear a horses hide too, and I've seen tears from barbed wire in the form of a triangle.

Another horse can rip the victim? Never heard that before. Does it use hooves or teeth?
Teeth... if you have a google search for, 'horses attacked by another horse', results seem to be informative.

I've only just started reading through this material - fascinating so far...

A horses bite is quite weak, so it needs to take a grasp, then jerk it's head away. I've seen them do this to rugs in winter, and other horses at any time.

I used to work a race horse called 'Hello Johnny", a smallish Grey, who was a bastard of a horse to work because he would pull like a train and at opportune times, bend it's head around and bite your toes. Now, if you have a horse that pulls, and you are riding short, your feet will be well forward. The bite will throw you off balance, which is dangerous, and buggers the furlong/second count which really pisses the Boss off.

Anyway, I learned from his previous Strapper that if you let HJ bite the heel of your hand, he would stop the shenanigans for a period of time (about a month), leaving you with an unsurprising trackwork.

The other thing I noted was that a horse bite on their own is quite mild - if you want to confirm this, give a largish carrot to a horse and you realise that a horse cannot bite through it.

Which is what we learned at Kindergarten, isn't it, that it isn't the bite that hurts us...rather, it's the Jerk at the end.

Australia has been a leading light in putting old newspapers into digital form, so I had the chance to browse in a lot of 19th Century papers, when I was researching a few years back.

I was often diverted by Fortean things; it's why I'm not a serious researcher of anything! Outbreaks of nudity were a frequent cause of complaint; watering-holes near crossroads were the place to catch that. Vandalism was very common but animal-mutilation was the most popular pastime for idle hands. Horses, cattle and sheep could all be victims.

No one attributed it to Satanism at that period. Mainly it was put down to jealousy of horses that were treated better than hired hands. A few culprits were brought to justice and said as much. Of their Satanic affiliation, they kept stumm. :pipe:

Does anyone have any reliable info on the perpetrators of horse-riiping in cases that have been solved?
Might be able to help here. Some years ago, I spent time researching this.

In the cases which were solved - research material largely from the USA - there was one prime culprit in many incidents...

...another horse...

Often, the situation would be that the horse atttacked, had a companion in the paddock. Typically, this was a horse which was so gentle, it could never have been suspected.

However, when surveillance cameras were set up, it was a shock to discover how the wounds were being inflicted - bite marks, especially to the neck, which could leave a deep cut, sometimes resembling an attack with a serrated knife.

CAMPOBELLO, SC (FOX Carolina) – Spartanburg County’s Environmental Enforcement Department director confirmed Thursday his team was investigating another incident in Campobello involving a stab wound to a horse.

Jamie Belson an investigator was called to an address on Patterson Road in Campobello Wednesday evening after a horse had been cut.

“The responding officer confirmed that a 20-plus year-old Palomino Quarter horse had one laceration on its lower leg and a puncture wound directly under the horses’ midsection,” Nelson stated in an email.

A veterinarian determined the injuries were between 24 and 48- hours old.

“Due to the injuries sustained the horse was euthanized,” Nelson stated.

Nelson stated this is the second confirmed incident of lacerations and punctures to horse within Spartanburg County.

Nelson said a similar incident was reported just across the Greenville County line in the Landrum area.

https://www.foxcarolina.com/investi...cle_a966583e-0702-11ea-9774-cfae5c04498b.html

maximus otter

Horses mutilated in Sweden, mirroring France attacks

A mutilated horse has been found dead in Sweden with injuries police said Wednesday they believe were inflicted by people in the country's first such fatality after a mysterious wave of horse attacks in France.

A month ago, a horse was attacked in the same area near the southern Swedish town of Jonkoping, but survived.

This time the animal was found dead on a horse farm "with several injuries that we think were inflicted by people," local police official Thomas Agnevik told AFP.

According to Swedish media, an eye and an ear had been cut off.

An investigation has been opened into cruelty to animals, police said.

These cases are the first ones reported in Sweden since a grisly wave of attacks in France.

French authorities have been at a loss to explain the attacks, in which more than 150 horses have had ears sliced off, genitals cut and skin lacerated.

But several people are thought to have been involved, amid speculation they could be motivated by a satanic rite or an internet cult.

https://timesofmalta.com/articles/view/horses-mutilated-in-sweden-mirroring-france-attacks.819853

Personally, I remain convinced that the vast majority of such "horse mutilations" are the result of horse/horse fights, horses injuring themselves on barbed wire/sheet metal etc., or dog attacks.

The issue is that - if an investigation suggests this - the boring, mundane conclusion will never be spread as wide as a good ol' "Satanic abuse! Internet cult! shock-horror" story.

maximus otter

I feel Linda Howe bit to hard on this and with no evidence and claims this alien presence has been here for millions of years. What is the basis for that claim with no physical evidence or lack of a record going that far back in time. I have great respect for her investigations as I had contact with her on a horse mutilation. I was a trained criminal investigator and I cringe at some of her interviews throwing out leading questions instead of letting people describe their stories themselves.
We have a thread on cattle mutilations rather than horse - I don’t know if you’ve got anything you can add to it. What happened in your horse mutilation incident?

We have a thread on cattle mutilations rather than horse - I don’t know if you’ve got anything you can add to it. What happened in your horse mutilation incident?
+-We had a ranch in Salmon Idaho went to Montana for the day came home in the evening. Short story the horse didnt show up to eat and the others horses didnt know he was missing. Found the horse 75 feet from our house laying in the fresh snow with snow under him. A outer lawyer of one layer of skin in a perfect circle had been peeled off his gental area and penus with the second layer undistrurbed like a skin graft. also a two inch hole cored into the neck straight down 2 inches which was full of blood and 3 MM marks encircling the hole. This was in plain view of the neighbors ranch across the road on a dead end road. No tracks in the snow and from a blood splash on a cat tails indicated the horse was dropped from above. Ive skinned plenty of game animals and its impossible to make a removal of skin like that with out cutting into the body cavity or 2nd layer. The other horses when they followed us to the dead one refused to leave the area by the dead horse. We had two german shephards with free run of the area did not go near the animal till we found it. Anyone coming on our land would have been checked and approached by them Cause of death was unknown as we at first thought the hole in the neck was a gun shot but but the vet found no hemoraging around the hole to indicate a bullet impact. LIghts were on in the house and it would be unlikely a human would approach the pasture catch the horse and wrestle it on its back then perform perfect cuts. The only trace of blood found in the area was on a cattail 2 feet away with a drop on it from the dropping to the ground. THere was no blood leaking out where the circle cut was made. THe skin on the belly and penus was removed in one piece and was not there.Little was know what to look for at the time or what happened. The pasture was a wetland and fenced and there were no tracks in the snow anywhere around it or from the road. THere are hundreds of reports like mine no one has ever been caught doing this and the horse was not approachable as he was a new one. Fish and wildlife do this all the time with helicopters to check wildlife and I truly believe we are someones and farm that we dont understand or are being kept from the truth. We would probably do the same thing with our interplanetary drones if we found life and I believe someone is studying ours. THere was more to the story later but thats it onthe horse. My interview with Linda howe was on the web under my name william hill salmon idaho. Thanks

Horses mutilated in Sweden, mirroring France attacks

A mutilated horse has been found dead in Sweden with injuries police said Wednesday they believe were inflicted by people in the country's first such fatality after a mysterious wave of horse attacks in France.

A month ago, a horse was attacked in the same area near the southern Swedish town of Jonkoping, but survived.

This time the animal was found dead on a horse farm "with several injuries that we think were inflicted by people," local police official Thomas Agnevik told AFP.

According to Swedish media, an eye and an ear had been cut off.

An investigation has been opened into cruelty to animals, police said.

These cases are the first ones reported in Sweden since a grisly wave of attacks in France.

French authorities have been at a loss to explain the attacks, in which more than 150 horses have had ears sliced off, genitals cut and skin lacerated.

But several people are thought to have been involved, amid speculation they could be motivated by a satanic rite or an internet cult.

https://timesofmalta.com/articles/view/horses-mutilated-in-sweden-mirroring-france-attacks.819853

Personally, I remain convinced that the vast majority of such "horse mutilations" are the result of horse/horse fights, horses injuring themselves on barbed wire/sheet metal etc., or dog attacks.

The issue is that - if an investigation suggests this - the boring, mundane conclusion will never be spread as wide as a good ol' "Satanic abuse! Internet cult! shock-horror" story.

maximus otter

A little update on the French horse mutilation panic of 2020, as I recently bumped into a newspaper article dealing with the case :

The panic was ignited by the testimony of a horse breeder who claimed that her favourite horse had been horribly mauled by a mysterious attacker. A journalist took up the topic, as he had nothing more alluring to write about in the depth of the summer, and soon, all the information networks competed in interviewing the horse breeder and seek similar cases all over the country. After a few months of paranoia, the media suddenly stopped dealing with the issue. So what happened ?

It appears that the original source of the panic, the horse breeder who had undertaken the task to build a refuge for old, abandonned horses did not possess the means of her ambitions. She was almost broke and therefore mistreated her animals, dogs included, because she could not feed them. The situation had reached the point where one of her dogs, turned mad because of hunger, attacked one of her oldest mare, took weak to defend herself.

Instead of telling the truth, the breeder made up the story of the evil intruder mauling her mare, and told this to the journalist. Soon, crowds of journalists came to interview her, and she found it so satisfying to her ego that she went on developping and enriching her initial lie, and setting up a network of angry horse breeders, whose spokesperson she became.

Unfortunately, the veterinaries who visited her ranch quickly realized that there was something wrong with her animals. They were obviously in a very poor state of health, and unsufficiently fed. After a series of enquiries, the truth finally transpired. The sanitary authorities confiscated all her horses and cattle in order to put and end to her mistreatments. The journalist who had first worked on the case found out about her dog's attack on the mare, and about the breeder's lies, and admitted his mistake. And slowly, the rumour of a wave of attacks on horses died out.

However, the main TV channels never gave the conclusion of the story. They did not bother.

Sources in French : I have lost track of the original investigation article which revealed the facts in a luxury of details, but there is a hint of the conclusion on the French wikipedia page of the incident.

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rumeur_des_mutilations_d'équidés_en_France_en_2020

Horse slasher jailed.

A man who slashed three horses with a knife and tried to strangle another has been jailed.

Luke Ward, 37, attacked the animals at a farm near Leeds in July 2022, said West Yorkshire Police.One horse was found with a shoelace tied tightly around its neck and three others suffered cuts to their face or neck, the force said.

Ward was jailed for three years and nine months at Leeds Crown Court on Monday. He admitted four counts of causing unnecessary suffering to an animal. The court heard that Ward lived opposite the farm, off Hall Lane in Farnley, at the time of the attacks.

One horse had a "deep cut and a long slash" to the side of the neck and another had a 3-4in (7-10cm) laceration to the face, police said. A knife with an 8in (20cm) blade was found at the scene and forensic analysis found Ward's DNA on it, according to officers, but he initially denied the attack.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-leeds-66922494

Back