• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Horse Mutilations

AndroMan said:
The Archers has had Fortean stories and plotlines running, regularily over the decades, since at least the late Sixties, actually.
UFOs, ghosts, New Age magic(k) (thanks to Kate), mysterious disappearances, you name it, there's been a soapy, countryfied, not to say gentrified, exploration of it at some point or other, over the last half century. ;)

Its strange, The Archers is one of those things that i must have unintentionally listened to hundreds of time as family love it and i'm a regular Radio 4 listener. Must say, however, as soon as that great music plays, my mind completely turns-off and i listen without paying the slightest bit of attention to what is actually happening. In fact if anyone were to ask me 20mins later what the plot was generally i wouldn't have a clue! That's got to be a Fortean phenomenon in itself! I bow before more avid listeners. :)

Am i actually missing anything?
You'd be hard pushed to beat the flumps i'm sure. :)

Horse stabbings shock community

Owner, PETA offer reward

By TRACY BELL
[email protected]
Thursday, March 25, 2004

AQUIA - A reward more than doubled Monday for information leading to the arrest and conviction of those responsible for stabbing three horses in Aquia Harbour.

People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, an animal protection group based in Norfolk, offered $2,500 to a reward fund already established by Cyndie Scott, owner of two of the three horses. The reward now totals $4,500.

“Animal abusers are cowards,” said PETA cruelty caseworker Tarina Keene. “They take their issues out on the most defenseless beings available to them. Stafford County residents have reason to be concerned.”

On March 6, the horses, housed in Aquia Harbour Equestrian Stables, were discovered with injuries later confirmed as stab wounds. The stables, located at 1200 Aquia Drive, are inside a gated community.

Authorities first suspected the stabbings took place sometime between 9:30 a.m. and 2:30 p.m. March 6, but have said that they also may have occurred the night before.

Scott, who owns the two American Paint Horses that were attacked - Apache, a five-year-old and Poka Dot Pete, a 14-year-old - said she has never felt threatened until now after living in the immediate area for 14 years.

Apache, a sorrel, was discovered cut on the left side of its face, while Poka Dot Pete, a spotted brown and white horse, was found stabbed in its neck and shoulder area, she said.

Karol Lurch of Aquia owns Pretty Lady, a Palomino that, along with the other horses, was stabbed on the left side of its neck.

“I care about finding the deranged individuals who did this,” said Scott. “This is so serious. We’re not going to stop until these people have paid their dues.”

Calling the incident “frightening,” Scott said she could not understand why anyone would hurt three gentle, innocent horses.

PETA officials said that mental health professionals and law enforcement agencies agree that perpetrators of violent acts against animals are often repeat offenders who pose a serious threat to other animals and to the community.

All three horses are doing better, but are still apprehensive if someone approaches them quickly, said Scott, who described the horses as friendly and sociable. They think that everyone who approaches them is friendly, she said.

Wounds to the horses were reported as more than superficial but not life-threatening. The charge for animal cruelty is a misdemeanor punishable by up to a year in jail and a fine of $2,500.

“It’s such a shame,” said Stafford County Board of Supervisors member Kandy Hilliard, D-Aquia. “I can’t for the life of me imagine anyone doing such a thing.”

Scott said she has received calls and e-mails from concerned individuals who are stunned and sickened by the case.
Community support has been strong, she said, adding that she believes it is only a matter of time before whoever harmed the horses is caught.

Scott said she is concerned about Aquia Harbour officials’ use of budget money and feels that improving security systems in the stables should be more of a priority than what she said are current plans to purchase horse “jumps” - equipment commonly used in horse shows.

Authorities have considered the possibility that the crimes may have been part of a vandalism spree. In a time frame close to the stabbings, several school buses were damaged in a parking lot adjacent to the stable, as were some nearby mailboxes.

The horses’ injuries were not the only recent animal cruelty incidents in Aquia.

On March 11, a 3-year-old dog was shot while in the yard of a Potomac Drive home in Aquia. The dachshund named Weenie was found alive, but wounded in its abdomen, said one of its owners, Barbara Eilenfield.

Eilenfield’s family later discovered the wound was caused by a pellet gun. Though a veterinarian treated the dog, the pellet, for safety reasons, will not be removed, she said.

When the dog’s wound was discovered, Eilenfield said she did not initially report the shooting. After hearing about the attacks on the horses, however, she felt there could be a connection in the crimes.

“My concern is, what is this person going to do next?” said Eilenfield. “Whoever would do that to a horse or a dog is probably not far off from a person.”

When contacted, Capt. Bryant Halstad of the Stafford County Sheriff’s Office said that the investigation into the attacks is ongoing.

Anyone with information about either case is asked to call Stafford County Crime Solvers at (540) 659-2020 or toll free at (866) 493-1083. Informants do not need to give their names, and Crime Solvers may pay up to $1,000 if the information leads to an arrest.

Splitting URL as it doesn't work anymore and BBCode seems not break when used with it (seems to be the !):

www.staffordcountysun.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=
SCS%2FMGArticle%2FSCS_BasicArticle&c=MGArticle&cid=
1031774503920&path=!home

Horse slashing case solved

Officials: horse-slashings case solved

TUCSON, Arizona (AP) -- The mysterious slashings of at least 17 horses' throats at a guest ranch last year have been solved, but no one will be charged, officials said.

The culprit: another horse. The weapon: teeth.

Investigators had suspected a person was trying to kill the horses because the jagged wounds were always near the vital jugular vein and happened late at night.

The wounds, which were 1 to 4 inches long and about an inch deep, began appearing last July.

The case was cracked when an employee of the Tanque Verde Guest Ranch finally caught a horse biting another in the throat, Pima County sheriff's officials said Wednesday.

The slashings ceased when the suspected equine was isolated in another corral.

http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/Southwest/06/17/horseslashings.ap/index.html

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

sureshot

Riddle of the horse rippers

The Observer - Sunday July 4, 2004
http://observer.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,6903,1253657,00.html

Riddle of the horse rippers
Investigators flummoxed over motive for the mutilation of ponies

Jamie Doward and Mark Hudson

Kelly Smithson will never forget the day she found her daughter Lauren's missing pony. When she could not see Lacey in the field near her home, Mrs Smithson believed the animal had been stolen. 'I thought some kids had just taken her, but when I saw blood all over the water carriers I thought she was dead. I thought some sickos must have been on the loose,' said Mrs Smithson of Aughton, South Yorkshire. After a search she found the terrified animal cowering behind a bush. 'She had cuts all over her head - a really deep one near her mouth, and her eye had blown up. The back of her neck was black with bruises where they'd hit her with pieces of burnt wood and concrete slabs. Her backside had a deep cut as well, where they'd stabbed her with a pitchfork.'

After three vicious attacks in less than three months, animal welfare groups fear horse rippers may be on the loose in South Yorkshire.

In April a pony was attacked with a screwdriver near Barnsley. Two weeks after Lacey was stabbed in late May, a horse in a stables near Rotherham had its back legs tied together with rope and its neck slashed. Phil McCarthy of the RSPCA, who is compiling a dossier on the violence, calculates that there are up to 18 attacks a year on horses and possibly many more that go unreported.

According to records kept by the now defunct Metropolitan Police's equine crime prevention unit, between 1983 and 1993 more than 160 horses were attacked or mutilated in the UK.

After the new attacks in South Yorkshire, local people have been quick to draw comparisons with another spate of horse mutilations last year. In the run-up to the summer solstice, there were at least 12 attacks on horses in fields along the Derbyshire/Yorkshire border. One horse had eight litres of blood drained from its stomach, while stones depicting five-pointed stars were found in the surrounding fields. Some of the animals had their tails removed, and others had their manes plaited in intricate patterns - signs of black magic practices. Despite 24-hour surveillance, police caught no one. There had been similar attacks in Nottinghamshire at Hallowe'en the previous year, but no one was arrested.

Concern about the links between the occult and horse attacks has prompted the Scottish Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals to compile a list of attacks for Dr Richard Hoskins, an expert on witchcraft who advised police on the infamous 'torso in the Thames' investigation which examined the links between human sacrifice and black magic.
All those investigating the attacks, however, are cautious about overstating the links between horse ripping and the occult. 'There are all sorts of reasons why horses are being attacked. There are all sorts of people involved and all sorts of motives,' said Doreen Graham of the Scottish society.

Ted Barnes, a field officer with the International League for the Protection of Horses, and a former member of the Met unit, calculates that 80 per cent of suspected horse attacks are not committed by humans. 'In by far the largest percentage of cases where the animal has been harmed, it is either self-inflicted or inflicted by another horse. A lot of people find this hard to believe, but it does happen,' Barnes said.

In the majority of cases where a horse has been attacked by a human, a personal feud is the motive. 'We had a situation a couple of years ago when a husband and wife were getting divorced and he attacked her horse,' said Joanne Kennedy of South Yorkshire Police's horsewatch unit. 'For horse owners it's like a member of the family.'

Psychologists are also studying suggestions of a sexual motive. Research in Germany in the Nineties found one child abuser had a sexual reason for attacking horses. 'Little girls give a lot of love horses, and there is therefore a psychological connection with children. Paedophiles thrive on that tenderness shown by children and animals,' Alexandra Schedel Stuppich, who investigated the case, said at the time.

Given the numerous theories about what lies behind attacks on horses, it is unlikely a definitive explanation will be established until the police make some arrests. Two teenagers are being questioned in connection with the attack on the Smithsons' pony, which is expected to make a full recovery.

Barnes, though, remains doubtful as to whether a complete explanation for why humans attack horses will emerge.
'In my previous life with the Met all sorts of theories from all over the world would drop on my desk. But in the 30 years I've been investigating this, I've never been able to come up with a common denominator,' he said.

Horse owners on attacks alert

ANIMAL welfare groups are appealing to horse owners not to panic after a new spate of attacks and mutilations was reported in South Yorkshire.

Dave Clarke

Horsewatch co-ordinators in Sheffield are asking owners to step up security at stables after at least three vicious attacks in less than three months.

And they suspect that many more go unreported because owners fear they will encourage copycat attacks.

In one case police arrested two boys aged 16 and 17 after a pony was stabbed by a spade and a pitchfork in her stable at Aughton, near Rotherham. But yesterday police said they had been released without charge because there was insufficient evidence to proceed with a prosecution.

The owner of the pony, three-year-old Lauren Smithson, burst into tears when she and her mother Kelly found her pet bleed-ing from her face and hind quarters when they visited the stable.

Yesterday Kelly, who had offered a £500 reward, said she was "disgusted" by the decision not to press charges and could not afford to take civil action.

The attack on Lacey was the latest in a series logged by South Yorkshire Police's Horsewatch unit. In February intruders cut off part of a horse's tail in a field at Wortley, near Stocksbridge.
And in April a pony in Barnsley was left traumatised after being stabbed by a thug wielding a screwdriver.

Two weeks after Lacey was attacked in May, a horse in stables near Rotherham had its back legs tied together with rope and its neck slashed.

But police and RSPCA officials who have investigated cases of "horse rippers" say they have been unable to find a motive for the attacks, which cause misery both for animals and owners.

And they say that despite widespread comparisons to spates of horse mutilations such as those in the Peak District last summer, there is no evidence that organised gangs of sadists are involved. They say that in the small number of cases where a human has attacked a horse it has been the result of a personal feud.

Last year there were at least 12 attacks on horses in fields along the border between Derbyshire and South Yorkshire in the run-up to the summer solstice.

One horse reportedly had blood drained from its stomach, while others had tails removed or manes plaited in patterns that suggested occult rituals.

But despite lengthy investigat-ions by the RSPCA and a 24-hour police surveillance operation no one was ever charged.
In April leading equine expert Ted Barnes, who has spent 20 years investigating cases of "horse slashing", said he be-lieved the majority were caused by accidents or by other horses.
Mr Barnes, a field officer for the International League for the Protection of Horses, said he had come across only a few cases that displayed evidence of human cruelty. "The vast majority are the result of horses doing damage to themselves through irritation or scratching."

Joanne Kennedy, of the force's Horsewatch unit, said it was vital for owners who suspect their animal has been injured to ask a vet to carry out an examination before calling police.

"Horses do have accidents when they rub themselves against barbed wire and fences which can have nails protruding from them which can cause the most horrific injuries," she said.

"I have seen several injuries which upon examination turned out to have been self-inflicted or even the result of attacks by other animals. But I have spoken to some owners who are convinced that humans are attacking their horses."

It was distressing for owners to find horses suffering because they were like family members.

The force has put together a security package for horse owners than can be obtained from Horsewatch on 0114 2523302.

06 July 2004

http://www.yorkshiretoday.co.uk/ViewArticle2.aspx?SectionID=1084&ArticleID=817557

Return of the Horse Ripper

Source

Return of the horse ripper
Aug 20.04

The morning of June 23 was bright and warm. 17 year-old Emma Allan considered it a perfect day for riding. Humming softly, she unbolted the door to her horse's stable. The door creaked open and, as it did so, a strange smell hit her throat. "That was when I saw the blood," she says. "It was streaming down my horse Jane's back legs. At first, I thought it might be just a cut on her hindquarters. But when I brought her outside, I saw the pain and bewilderment in her eyes."

The vet was called to the house in Barrhead, Glasgow, and his verdict devastated Emma and her family: someone had brutally violated the three-year-old animal with a sharp instrument.

"My horse bled for a day and a half," Emma says. "Pints of blood. It was like a tap. The attacker must have sedated her; there is no way she'd consciously allow someone to violate her." Two nights later, the pretty bay mare was assaulted again. This time, she was so distressed that she wouldn't allow anyone to touch her.

"I almost wish it had been me that had been assaulted, rather than her," says Emma, struggling to suppress her tears. "At least I would have been able to explain to people how it happened and who did it."

Summer solstice
The police were casually indifferent, barely bothering to note down the details of the assault. "They treated me as if I were stupid for caring about my horse," says Emma.

It was when a friend pointed out that the first attack had taken place on the last day of the summer solstice - which marks the longest day of the year on the pagan calendar - that Emma started to worry about possible witchcraft links to the assault.

She had heard of seven other attacks on horses in the past year, all of them believed by the SSPCA - the Scottish version of the RSPCA - to be "ritualistic" in nature. They included barbed wire being plaited into a horse's mane and four horses having their tails cut off in one night.

In another incident, a horse was found dead in a stable with the gutted remains of two ducks carefully positioned nearby.

Who could be so sick?
The question on everyone's lips was: "Who would be so sick as to harm innocent animals?" Increasingly, the evidence pointed towards pagan rituals. Some of the attackers left distinct clues behind: symbols associated with occult practices.

And many of them stole hair from the mares' tails and manes which, in pagan circles, is said to help increase a man's sexual potency.

Blood is the most coveted acquisition from a horse, believed by some pagans to enhance a woman's fertility. A woman wishing to become pregnant would lie naked on an altar while worshippers scattered horse blood - still warm - over her body.

"We strongly suspect these attacks may be a linked to members of a religious cult or sect," said a spokeswoman for the SSPCA.

The charity is so concerned about the increase religiously motivated attacks on horses that it has enlisted the help of Dr Richard Hoskins, an expert on witchcraft from the University of London.

English attacks
Horses in Scotland are not the only ones to have been violated. Three horse owners who live within a fivemile radius of Chatsworth, in Derbyshire's Peak District National Park, endured 17 incidents in just 17 days, involving more than a dozen horses.

Nottinghamshire has also been targeted, with the most recent attack occurring on June 23, tellingly the same day that Emma's horse was assaulted.

"I got up at 7am to fetch Chochie in from the field," says Julie Colbrooke, a 33-year-old mother-of-four who owns a stable just outside Worksop in Nottinghamshire.

"I could see immediately that he was upset. I found rope burns around his back legs; somebody had tied them with twine.

"I stroked his mane to comfort him. That was when I felt the lump on his neck. When I lifted up his mane, a whole chunk of skin came up with it. They'd tried to scalp him. My son was hysterical."

The vet was convinced the injuries were the work of some kind of cult. Now Mrs Colbrooke can barely sleep at night.

"How can I," she says, "when I know they are out there, watching me?"

Horse-slashers have been a muchfeared feature of English country life for years. The first spate of attacks to attract national attention was in 1991, when at least six horses died or had to be destroyed as a result of their injuries. A further 85 were injured - some even had acid and paint thrown at them.

Christian symbols
The village of Flintham in Nottinghamshire is a charming place: redbrick cottages, prim flowers, winding roads.

Yet villagers here - and in nearby Thoroton, Screveton and Aslockton - have become so consumed by their hatred of the occult that they have daubed white crosses and Christian symbols (believed by some to repel pagan evil-doers) on fences, gates, stable doors and even horse blankets.

Others in the region are relying on guard dogs and CCTV cameras to protect their animals. Some even admit to having purchased infrared goggles so they can watch out for intruders at night.

They have good reason. In the days leading up to last summer's solstice, there were at least 50 incidents in this area, says Ian Callingham, an RSPCA officer for Newark-on-Trent.

Pagan offerings
One horse had more than ten pints of blood drained from its body, while stones arranged to form five-pointed stars - a pagan symbol - were found in the surrounding fields. Another horse had its tail cut off, the wound so deep that it cut into the spine.

"We've also had three fence posts ripped up and arranged in the shape of a triangle with a dead seagull pinned to one corner," says Mr Callingham.

"They look to me like offerings - of a sort. And I've noticed that these attacks often coincide with the full moon."

Until now, most horse owners have chosen to keep quiet about the attacks, fearful of attracting more trouble. But some are so distraught that they have agreed to share their anger and fear on the condition of anonymity.

'I'll kill them'
"I've got a shotgun in my cupboard and I'm not afraid to use it," a middleaged woman tells me, standing like a sentry outside her farmhouse in Screveton. She invites us in to inspect a pair of binoculars mounted on a tripod in an upstairs bedroom.

She says she's scared of "ending up in prison" for defending her animal. "If ever I find one of these people hurting my horse, I'll kill them," she says.

Another local woman, a nurse who lives with her farmer husband, claims her horse has been "harassed" for eight years. She cites incidents ranging from the relatively minor - plaits braided into its mane and then dipped in glue, or its rug torn to shreds - to the downright threatening.

"My vet said my horse was anaemic because so much blood had been drained out of her. Sometimes they leave behind makeshift altars - upside-down dustbins with stones arranged on top, or circles with burnt horsehair attached to a cross." Only last week, her horse was attacked again. "I saw the blood on her knees," she says. "I've seen it enough times.

"But the police tell me that there is no evidence of vandalism, there is no obvious evidence of attack."

'Bloody confrontation'
She now has laser-beam alarms, CCTV cameras in her stables and a TV monitor at the end of her bed.

"My husband calls it Pony TV," she jokes, but it is clear from her expression that she finds the matter of her horse's safety far from amusing: "I feel like they are torturing me psychologically as much as they are torturing my horse. They know when I'm here. They are the ones in control.

"And I can't even confront them if I do find them, because God only knows what they've got in those syringes."

Ian Callingham says some owners are close to breaking point: "I am worried about what would happen if one of these owners were to discover the culprit. I believe there would be a bloody confrontation."

Yet so far the perpetrators have escaped capture, their attacks planned with precision. They leave no footprints or vehicle tracks.

"My husband and I have sat up through the night to keep watch on dozens of occasions," says one victim. "We sometimes see torches and hear voices but we have never caught anyone."

Back in Scotland, the police and the SSPCA have taken advice from a former police officer who specialised in New Age religions and crimes associated with them. He agreed to talk on condition of anonymity.

'Special powers'
Most of the horse-rippers are not paid-up members of mainstream cults such as the Wicca or other pagan groups, he insists. Instead, they are loners who have siphoned information from the internet and have deluded themselves into believing that they have "special powers".

To get close to the horses, these followers of the occult will prepare the horses, rather like a paedophile will groom a child before sexually abusing them. If the horse proves difficult to control, they will use a drug to sedate it.

"They have an obsession with perfection,' says the expert. "They believe that the more perfect the preparations are, the stronger the spell will be.

"They look for the perfect day, the perfect time, the perfect mare and they tend to use a special knife, which they regard as sacred."

Tuesday night is often chosen - the day ruled by Mars (the planet of strength) on the astrologer's calendar.

And for the spell to be potent, the blood or horsehair has to be harvested between midnight and dawn - usually alongside running water. This is confirmed by Mr Callingham: "90% of the attacks happen to horses near water - either a stream or a river."

Scepticism
Some, however, are sceptical. David Guy believes many of the injuries suffered by horses are selfinflicted.

He gives the example of a mare found dead with its genitals missing. The owner was convinced it had been cut out by someone involved in black magic, despite evidence to the contrary.

"When I turned her over with my foot, it was clear that she had died naturally and badgers and foxes had been at her.

"We did a post mortem and she was found to have died from peritonitis (inflammation of the abdomen).

John Macintyre of the Pagan Federation agrees. True pagans, he says, worship horses, as embodied by the Celtic Goddess of Horses, Epona.

"Horses are seen as the noblest of animals," he says, "so close to human beings that they can only be revered. No true pagan would dream of hurting a horse."

These words are of little comfort to those whose lives have been put on hold by attacks on their animals.

And despite all their best efforts at keeping vigil, despite the police involvement, the horse protection bodies and everything else, the fact remains that no one in recent years has been found guilty of mutilating a horse - or even charged with the offence.

[Emp edit: adding in working link]

Police: Horse mutilator strikes again

Man who abused animals in 1990 faces charges in Mapleton incident

Thursday, November 25, 2004

By DAVE HANEY

OF THE JOURNAL STAR

PEORIA - An Edwards man who was found guilty in an unusual case of abusing horses 15 years ago was arrested Tuesday night for allegedly starting up his old tricks.

Steven M. Walters, 55, was being held Wednesday at the Peoria County Jail on charges of animal cruelty and felony criminal damage to property. Bond was set at $15,000.

The arrest came after police interviewed Walters at his home Tuesday night in connection with the death of a horse over the weekend near Mapleton. The animal's penis had been cut off, and it had been strangled, police said.

"There are some sick people in this country. Today, he leads the list," Sheriff Mike McCoy said Wednesday.

Detectives were directed to Walters recently because of his past, police said.

In 1990, Walters, then 40, was convicted of six counts of misdemeanor criminal damage to property for tying wire around the penises of six geldings in the Brimfield and Dunlap area in fall 1989, according to court records and Journal Star archives. Geldings are castrated horses.

Police say Walters, who was cooperating with them, allegedly committed sexual acts to the male horses - in addition to mares - both in the past cases and the present.

Sheriff's detectives arrested Walters earlier this year in a similar incident involving a horse, but he was not charged, police said.

As of Wednesday, it was unclear why formal charges were not brought forward. Calls to the Peoria County State's Attorney's Office went unreturned.

Walters has given no explanation why he abused the horses, McCoy said.

His arrest in 1989 came after he apparently had abandoned his car near the residence of one of the horse owners. Walters did not own horses and apparently did not know any of the horse owners whose animals were damaged, police then said.

None of the six horses died, but they suffered injury, mostly in the form of swelling, according to Journal Star archives.

Walters was ordered to pay more than $4,000 restitution to the owners, serve one year of probation and perform 240

hours of community service. He also was ordered to submit to a psychiatric evaluation.

Police on Wednesday said Walters, who lives next door to his parents, had wanted to own horses and keep them in his back yard, but that his parents would not allow him.

Source

Reward posted in horse attacks

Last Updated Dec 7 2004 12:02 PM MST

Vulcan – The humane society is posting a $2,000 reward in hopes that it will help solve a series of attacks on unwanted horses rescued from slaughter.

Three horses at the Mitchell Centre for Equine Rescue and Education have been injured and four have died under mysterious circumstances since April.

"The stud that they killed last year, he was slashed through the belly, and then the intestines fell out and he bled to death," Paul Mitchell, who owns the rescue centre, said.

They thought the first attack was random, but then three more horses died. And while the autopsies were inconclusive, Mitchell believes they were poisoned. In the following months, one horse was found with a cut across its neck, another with a fish hook behind its ear.

"There's just no rhyme no reason for someone to come along and do this," Mitchell said. "If they have a beef against me personally, we can meet out behind the barn and talk about it. But don't take it out on an animal, you know?

"I think that's just a pretty sick individual."

The Humane Society of Canada has offered the $2,000 reward in hopes someone will come forward with information.

"This type of reward has two effects: a lot of times these people brag about what they've done to their girlfriends or relatives, and they usually turn them in," Michael O'Sullivan, the society's executive director, said. "And the second thing is it normally has a chilling effect on the people who are carrying out these attacks.

"Society just doesn't need people like this wandering around that would harm animals."

The RCMP are investigating but have no suspects.

Mitchell has put lights in the pasture and a bull in the paddock, and has started night patrols.

Source

Occult horse attacks

AN OCCULT ritual attack over the Summer Solstice has left two Ecclesfield horses wounded.

Night-time raiders trespassed into horse stables at Town End Road and on Whitley Lane to slash and draw blood from the unsuspecting animals.

The two abused horses were thoroughbred grey mares – and were picked out from a number of livestock.

A source told Look Local members of satanic black magic groups use blood from the mares to smear on women.

They believe the incantation boosts female fertility.

Police have not ruled this as the reason behind the attacks.
A stable hand, who wishes to remain anonymous, found one of the horses the morning after the slashing.

She said: “I came to the stable and the wound was dripping. I think that she would have galloped away from the people.

“It’s really scary that people do this to horses. I haven’t slept much since it happened. I’m scared that they’ll return.

“Since the owners have come back home, they have been checking the horses at three and five o clock in the morning. They’re also getting CCTV.”

The rituals begin at Solstice and continue to Halloween, usually on Monday nights.

The first incident occurred between 9:30pm on 20 June and 9:30am the following day, at Town End Stables in Ecclesfield.

The female horse received a six inch cut on the side of its neck, which appeared to have been caused by a bladed object.

The horse did not require any medical attention.

The second incident occurred between 5:30pm on 2 July and 8:30am the following day, at Whitley Farm in Ecclesfield.

Another female horse sustained a cut approximately 16 inches long across its chest. An emergency vet had to attend the site and the horse required stitches for the injury.

The horse is now recovering, although it has become slightly more weary of the presence of humans.

Police are now investigating the offences and are appealing for information. A spokesperson told Look Local: “We would like any information, and are keeping an open mind about the cases.”

Anyone who has any information about the attacks should contact PC Jacqui Atkinson at Hammerton Road Police Station, on 0114 296 4962.

---------------
Added On: 14-07-2005

www.looklocal.org.uk/news.php?id=524

CULT FEARS IN ATTACKS

A SATANIC cult may be responsible for a spate of sickening attacks on horses across South Yorkshire.
A mare and a donkey have had their throats cut and two other horses have been slashed across the side in assaults which repeat a series of grisly attacks in the county during the last two summers.
The assaults began on the summer solstice – a day renowned for sadistic attacks on animals – when an eight-year-old mare in Ecclesfield, Sheffield, had its throat cut.
Since then, a donkey in Worksop has had its throat cut and horses in Rotherham and Grenoside miraculously survived after being slashed across the side with knives.
A year ago, a horse in Rotherham had its neck slashed, another was hacked at after having its legs tied together and a pony in Barnsley was repeatedly stabbed with a pitchfork.
In the previous July, a number of horses in north Derbyshire and South Yorkshire suffered a series of sadistic and sexually motivated attacks which police linked to the occult.
Paula Cooper, aged 36, owner of the horse attacked on the summer solstice, said she fears a Satanic cult is responsible for the assault.
She said: "I have spoken to a lot of people about the attacks and they say the occult are responsible, and I believe them.
"I have researched a lot on the internet and the more I read, the more worried I get.It's really upsetting – I can't sleep."
In another attack, a 12-year-old horse in a field in Rotherham suffered a 20cm long and 6cm deep cut to its neck, which exposed muscle.
Officers believe it was cut with a knife or broken glass.
Owner Louise Baker, 38, of Sheffield, said: "I had never heard of religious attacks on horses until recently.
"I don't know whether it was a cult attack, but it seems strange that all four happened around the same time.
"I don't care whether it was a religious attack or a local yob, I just care that my horse is suffering.
"I can't understand what drives people to stab a horse, or any other animal. It just doesn't make sense.
"When I found her she was covered in blood, there was muscle hanging out of her body and she was so ill she couldn't move. It was an awful sight."
14 July 2005

www.sheffieldtoday.net/ViewArticle2.asp ... ID=1084757

Slasher strikes again at stables

A horse has developed a potentially life-threatening infection after being attacked for a second time at a Wiltshire stables.
Rioja was slashed along the stomach at Westcourt Stables, Marlborough, just months after being previously targeted.

It is the fourth incident at Gary Witheford's stables since June, and similar incidents around the county have also been reported.

Police are warning horse owners in the area to be on their guard.

They have not ruled out a sexual motive for the attacks.

Horse whisperer Gary Witheford, said: "I've had enough of seeing these animals suffering. We're going to lose one soon. They don't deserve this."

Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/1/hi/e ... 404452.stm
Published: 2005/11/03 19:01:18 GMT

© BBC MMV

The Times November 15, 2005

Horse slasher leaves stables in fear

By Ben Macintyre

Up and down the country animals have been stabbed and mutilated but the culprits are elusive

GARY WITHEFORD knew that something was wrong from the moment he entered the paddock beside his Wiltshire stables.

Mr Witheford, Britain’s most celebrated “horse whisperer”, has spent years treating horses, including those of the Queen. Few people are more attuned to equine behaviour.

The horses were nervous. One, a three-month-old chestnut colt named Mio, cowered behind its mother in a corner of the field. As he approached, Mr Witheford spotted blood on Mio’s hind legs.

Lifting the animal’s tail revealed a horrific wound. Someone had taken a sharp implement, possibly a craft knife, and cut a foot-long gash in the animal’s hindquarters.

Mio is now recuperating, but Mr Witheford said that the animal will never recover from the trauma.

“Horses are first-time learners: they will forgive, but they never forget,” he said. “There is a very sick person out there.”

The horse trainer was shocked at the wounding, but not surprised, since his horses have suffered four separate attacks in as many months. In August, two fillies were mutilated at night in almost identical ways; in October Mio was slashed.

For a few weeks, the incidents seemed to stop but then, last Friday, the attacker struck again, inflicting another gash in the abdomen of a young filly. The wound has become infected, and the animal may have to be destroyed.

“We are treating this as criminal damage,” Wiltshire Police said yesterday. The attacks may be part of a wider pattern. Late on Saturday night a horse stabled near Halesworth in Suffolk was slashed across the face and rump. Earlier this month, a mare in Kent had to be put down and two other horses were left badly injured after attackers cut off their tails and manes. One tail was hung in a tree.

Police in Hampshire are investigating an incident involving shire horses near Basingstoke. Several New Forest ponies were attacked near Beaulieu. This month a racehorse was stabbed near Carlisle.

The attacks on horses are the latest upsurge of a crime that has mystified police for decades. Some of the attacks may be sexual in nature, since the animals’ sex organs appear to be the targets; other incidents may be linked to occult beliefs.

But the majority of attacks defy simple explanation. Police say that they have no adequate psychological profile of the sort of person who would harm a horse, and despite hundreds of attacks over many years, no one has been arrested, prosecuted or convicted.

The violence appears to come in cycles. The attacks at Mr Witheford’s stables are strongly reminiscent of a spate of incidents in 1993 and 1994, when dozens of horses were mutilated in Wiltshire, Gloucestershire, Dorset and Somerset. The attacks seemed to stop as abruptly as they had started. A police unit formed to investigate them was disbanded after 18 months.

There have been similar incidents in other countries. In Germany, a convicted paedophile was charged recently with a horrific string of attacks on horses starting in 1992. But violence against horses seems to be a peculiarly British crime, going back many years.

In his latest Booker-nominated novel, Arthur & George, Julian Barnes explores the genuine case of George Edalji, the half-Indian son of an Anglican clergyman wrongly accused of a series of “horse-ripping” incidents in Staffordshire, beginning in 1903. His case was taken up by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, who adopted the methods of his own fictional creation, Sherlock Holmes, to try to clear Edalji’s name. Despite this, he was convicted, partly out of racism.

Although he was plainly innocent, nobody, including Conan Doyle, has ever explained the real motive behind the crime. “What species of human could wish such an animal harm?” wonders one bemused detective in the novel. Philip McCarthy, an RSPCA inspector who has studied the phenomenon, estimates that perhaps 80 per cent of such crimes can be classified as vandalism or domestic revenge.

The International League for the Protection of Horses (ILPH) has also said that many injuries reported as attacks may be accidental or inflicted by the horses themselves.

Yet in a minority of cases there are clear links between the attacks and supposed witchcraft or other forms of satanic or pagan worship.

“A lot of it is very whacko stuff,” Mr McCarthy said. “One thing I always look for in horse attacks is whether the assault took place on a Tuesday.” This is the day dedicated to Mars, god of war, horses and sex.

In some instances, blood has been taken from the animals, and in others, symbols apparently linked to fertility rites have been found.

Ted Barnes, a field officer for the ILPH and a former police officer who served with the Metropolitan Police Equine Unit for ten years, argues that what owners see as mutilation by people may have a benign explanation. “These things have to be looked at forensically,” he said. “Owners and police can jump to conclusions, and before you know it you’ve got an epidemic.”

Mr Witheford is swift to point the finger of blame at New Age travellers in the Wiltshire area, and believes that whoever committed the assaults has experience in handling horses, and an accomplice. “If you go up behind a horse you don’t know at night you’ll likely get kicked,” he said. “I reckon someone must have been holding the animal’s head while this was done.”

He has set up infra-red CCTV cameras to monitor his fields in the dark and alsatians now guard the property.

Until the horseslasher is caught, the phenomenon will remain mysterious: part common crime, part sexual perversion, part religious ritual and part human hysteria.

-------------------
Copyright 2005 Times Newspapers Ltd.

www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2-1872308,00.html

Jan 5, 2006 7:38 am US/Mountain

Mysterious Horse Deaths Raise Theories About UFOs

(AP) RUSH, Colo. Cattle rancher Clyde Chess never learned who -- or what -- killed his heifer 11 years ago, removing its lips, tongue, ears, heart and reproductive organs with laserlike precision.

But he has a theory.

"I suspect, and I know it sounds farfetched, it was government testing," he said. "They're the only ones that have that kind of technology."

This is eastern El Paso County, where stories of mysterious black aircraft, unexplained lights in the sky and bizarre cattle experimentation aren't considered too farfetched. Many remember a string of cattle mutilations in the 1970s.

It's been a long time since Colorado ranchers sat on their porches at night with shotguns, scanning the sky, but there's a new mystery on the eastern plains involving the deaths of six horses and a burro in Calhan.

The case has caught the attention of UFO investigators. The truth, they say, is out there.

"Is this a mystery? It's a huge mystery," said Linda Moulton Howe of Albuquerque, N.M., author of "An Alien Harvest," a book about cattle mutilations. "What it all means I don't know. But do I think humans did that? Absolutely not."

The facts are sparse:

On Oct. 11, six horses and a burro -- all healthy -- were found dead in a field near Calhan.

Dr. John Heikkila, the veterinarian who examined the animals, ruled out a winter storm, disease, toxic plants and lightning. Officials remain puzzled by the quarter-inch puncture holes in the animals' hides, originally thought to be gunshot wounds, but no bullets were found.

Toxicology tests for common poisons were negative, and expensive testing for "unusual possibilities" was not done because of cost, Heikkila wrote in his Nov. 20 autopsy report.

He concluded that an unusual toxin, delivered through a dart or pellet, caused the deaths.

The horses' owner, Bonny Blasingame, also thinks the animals were poisoned. She doesn't know who would do it, but others have an idea.

"I've talked to several of my friends who think that it's aliens," Blasingame said, noting that she didn't laugh.

Fears were heightened when 16 more horses were found dead near Calhan on Oct. 22. But investigators determined lightning caused those deaths.

Howe, who has written several books and produced television documentaries on strange phenomena, wrote about the Colorado deaths on her Web site. She has seen similar puncture holes in dead livestock elsewhere.

"Unusual animal deaths have long been associated with odd, silent black helicopters that have dissolved into misty clouds and unidentified lights and beams in the sky and pastures," she wrote.

Leslie Varnicle, state director of the Mutual UFO Network, has also looked into the deaths. She said a teenager spotted a strange aircraft in the Calhan area Oct. 21.

"You had the animal deaths and, in the same time and area, an observation of this V-shaped craft," Varnicle said. "In the back of my mind, I think there is a connection."

Eastern El Paso County is fertile ground for such theories.

In the 1970s and '80s, the area was among many parts of the West that experienced a string of cattle mutilations. Typically, soft tissue such as the lips, rectum and sexual organs were removed, with little blood or signs of a struggle evident.

There was an FBI investigation, and in 1979 scientists, law enforcement officials from several states, UFO investigators and a U.S. senator gathered for a summit. Interest waned in the mid-1980s.

But mysterious livestock deaths never stopped here. According to the El Paso County Sheriff's Office, there have been 26 unusual or unexplained livestock deaths since 1989. No arrests have been made.

Some cases have been truly bizarre. In January 1996, Truckton-area rancher James Richard White found one of his cows dead, with an entire eye socket surgically removed.

According to a sheriff's report, White told a deputy he had seen black helicopters in the area before, hovering a couple hundred feet above the ground, not making a sound. And on the night his cow was killed, his television flickered.

"I really couldn't tell you exactly what it was. I know what I saw and what I reported," said White, who still owns a ranch.

In 1994, Simla rancher Ted Hasenbalg found one of his bulls mutilated, the third to die mysteriously since the 1970s.

"I've got to think it's UFOs. That's the only thing logical," Hasenbalg said. "I think anything's possible, because we don't know if we're the only life in the universe."

The presence of two Air Force bases and NORAD has fueled the speculation.

"We jokingly say, 'Yeah, they moved Area 51 over to Peterson (Air Force Base),"' said Varnicle of the Mutual UFO Network.

She continues to ask questions about the recent Calhan deaths.

"I would love to catch someone doing it, whether it's the military, E.T. or Joe Joker," she said.

Sheriff's Office investigators have heard plenty of theories, among them top-secret military lasers and ice bullets. They believe the answer is more mundane, probably some sort of toxin that didn't show up in the tests.

"We believe there's a logical explanation. We just haven't found it yet," sheriff's spokesman Lt. Clif Northam said. The investigation remains open.

Jim Brewer, president of the El Paso County Farm Bureau, dismisses talk of UFOs and secret experiments. He thinks the animal deaths were weather-related.

"It was a bad thing, but it wasn't somebody out trying to kill livestock," Brewer said.

For Blasingame, the horses' owner, the case is more than a story worthy of "The X-Files." She loved the horses that were killed.

One horse survived the incident, a 6-month-old filly named Santanna, whose mother was among those killed. The horse remains skittish, jumping at the slightest sound.

"I'd give anything if she could talk," Blasingame said. "She'd have a story to tell."

-----
(© 2006 The Associated Press.

http://cbs4denver.com/topstories/local_ ... 94023.html

Pony slashed in 'vicious attack'
A pony had its ear so badly slashed it was almost severed from the animal's head in what police are calling a "cruel and vicious attack".
The three-year-old Welsh Cross's injuries were discovered by its owner at a field at Bream at the weekend.

Vets treating the animal believe the three-inch wound was deliberate and inflicted between 25 and 27 May.

It is thought the pony was a victim of its friendly nature as three more shy horses in the same field were not hurt.

Any witnesses to the attack are asked to contact Gloucestershire Police or Crimestoppers.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/glou ... 029902.stm

Scottish horse mutilations: Again.

This story from the Scottish Daily Record relates that someone is slashing horses again. The poor reporting of the Daily Record is putting over the "Satanist" rubbish again. But what is curious is that the Horse slashings took place on farms right next door to Bonnybridge, the UFO Bonybridge. So either we have a serial horse slasher who works temporary on farms travelling about, or we have a concerted effort to wind up locals and create fear and tension in a area renowned for its UFO sightings. Makes you think...

Link*

*EDIT: Link shortened by WJ

Yet another horse attack in the North East of Scotland..

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/nor ... 528384.stm

Horse's killing a 'horrific act'

The suspicious death of a horse after it suffered head injuries has been described by police as a "despicable and shocking" attack.

The death of the horse, called Henry, in a field at Birnie, near Elgin, Moray, has left owner Rebecca Baillie devastated.

The incident happened on Thursday evening.

Grampian Police appealed for public help to track down the "perpetrators of this horrific act".

Pony with cut throat found dumped
RSPCA inspectors believe the horse was probably kept in a field

The body of a young pony has been found by the roadside in Surrey with her throat cut and legs bound with rope.

RSPCA inspectors said the pony was probably killed elsewhere before being dumped at the junction of Silkmore Lane and Ripley Lane, in West Horsley.

The bay coloured filly, which had a white marking on her head and white feet, was underweight.

Insp Michelle Hare said: "It is likely that whoever allowed her to get into this state decided to finish her off."

'Barbaric killing'

She said: "Although there was some blood where the body was found, I would have expected more if the pony had been killed there.

"So she was probably killed elsewhere and then her feet were tied together to make it easier to move her.

"She was probably dumped from either a lorry or a trailer," she said.

It is thought the pony was aged between nine and 10 months old, and that she may have been kept in a field rather than in a stable, as she had a very woolly coat.

'No excuse'

The RSPCA was alerted by a member of the public on Thursday.

It is urging anyone who recognises the pony, or who may have noticed a lorry or similar vehicle parked at the side of the road, to come forward with information.

Insp Hare said: "There is never any excuse for treating an animal in such a barbaric way.

"If people have ponies which they are struggling to care for, for whatever reason, then help and advice is available from a number of organisations, including the RSPCA."

Anyone found guilty of causing unnecessary suffering to an animal faces a maximum £20,000 fine and/or six months in prison.

link

Clydesdale horse's tail cut off
A horse has had a 2.5ft (0.76m) section of its tail cut off while it was in a field at Bridge of Allan.

Central Scotland Police said the Clydesdale was attacked sometime between 1030 BST on 20 April and 0930 BST on Wednesday 21 April.

The force said the animal's tail bone was not cut in the incident.

The attack marks the second time in recent months that horses in the Central Scotland Police area have had their tails cut off.

A force spokeswoman said: "We appeal for anyone who may have information as to who did this or who saw anything suspicious.

"The animal has not suffered as the tail bone was not interfered with but we need to trace the person responsible."

Kevin Carlyon was in the paper this morning saying it was down to Satanists wanting to make potions to "fly like Pegasus" (nice Clash of the Titans reference), which you'd expect, but after all this time nobody else has a good explanation for them either.

Maybe a new twist in the style; lets hope it doesn't 'catch on' :(

Gunman sought after Shropshire pony found shot

Police are hunting a gunman who shot a pony in the face with a metal pellet.

Owner Marilyn Johnston said 11-year-old Spider, who is kept in stables to the north of Wellington, Shropshire, was found injured on Monday evening.

Mrs Johnston said: "It is heartbreaking to think that somebody can do something like this."

She said it would not be known for six to 12 months whether any bones had been broken and West Mercia Police has appealed for information.

Mrs Johnston said: "He's such a sociable pony that nobody dislikes him.

"We noticed he had metal sticking out of the bone on the front of his face.

"When I took a closer look, it was actually metal. It was a pellet from a gun."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/shro ... 397195.stm

London Olympic horse 'stabbed to death' in New Forest

An equestrian's Olympic dream is over after her horse died in a suspected knife attack in the New Forest.

Charlotte Springall had hoped to ride Folds Gretna Vow in the 2012 Games.
But the horse was found dead with an apparent knife wound at its field on Folds Farm House, Godshill Wood, last month.

Police said a number of other suspected attacks have been reported, ranging from horses having their tails and manes cut off, to mutilation.

Tests did not find any evidence that Ms Springall's horse had been wounded after impaling itself.
The rider said: "She had a large wound to her left underarm which went from her chest up to her shoulder.
"There were no wood pieces or anything found in her wound.
"She is in a field with nothing in it so it was very suspicious.
"It has dashed my Olympic hopes totally. I broke her, I produced her, it takes years and lots of time and effort.
"I now have to look towards 2016 with my young horse."

Police have encouraged anyone in the area to come forward if they have seen any suspicious activity.

Sgt Louise Hubble, Hampshire police countryside officer, said: "We are taking this very seriously and any incident that is reported will be investigated.
"We have had a small number of reports concerning injuries to horses but it is not clear how these injuries have been caused."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-11339816

North Lincolnshire attacks spark 'Horse Watch' campaign
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-humber-19862181

This horse, named Penny, was killed along with its unborn foal

Related Stories

Anti-equine crime campaign begins

Horse owners and equestrian groups in North Lincolnshire have been urged to get involved in a new campaign after a series of attacks on animals.

Recent incidents include an attack that killed a mare and its unborn foal. Another horse had its tail and mane chopped off.

A Horse Watch scheme has been launched to try to tackle the problem.

As part of the initiative a Facebook page will be set up so people can share alerts and crime prevention advice.

Rider Nicola Latham said she would be "devastated" if anything happened to her horse.

She said: "You always think 'not my horse, not me', but unfortunately some days you go down and it's you."

The scheme has been set up to tackle horse cruelty and thefts of animals or costly horse equipment.

Amanda Barnett, from Humberside Police, said: "The Horse Watch scheme highlights the potential for owners to lose their animals to thieves.

"It's not just the horses that thieves target but also equine equipment including tack and trailers.

"By joining the Horse Watch scheme, it will enable owners to share information and hopefully reduce this type of crime that will also lead to the detection of offenders."

Pony killed in 'Satanic ritual' in Devon National Park

A young foal has been killed in a horrifying act, which police believe may be linked to a Satanic cult ritual.

The body of the two-month-old foal was found on Yennadon Down, near Yelverton, by a horse-rider, who promptly called the South West Equine Protection (SWEP) charity.

The dead pony had been mutilated, with its genitals, right ear and tongue cut off, and its eyes gouged out. it is not known whether the animal was dead or alive when the mutilation took place.

It was laying in the remnants of a ring of fire after a full moon, and also had traces of white paint on one of its legs, leading police to believe it was part of a Satanic animal sacrifice ritual.

A spokesman for SWEP told This Is Plymouth it had heard rumours of 'ritualistic killings' of foals and sheep in Dartmoor during certain phases of the moon.

He said: "We are aware the previous evening a celestial event known as a super moon or stag moon took place. This is when the full moon coincides with its closest approach to the Earth, resulting in the moon appearing larger. We do not know if the desecration and mutilation of this foal took place when he was alive or once he was dead or how many people were involved.

"If the foal was still alive and not properly sedated these actions would have caused extreme pain, suffering and distress."

Karla McKechnie, Dartmoor's Livestock Protection Officer, said she believed "witches or devil worshippers" were involved. She told the Daily Telegraph: "We do get strange things happening from time to time, normally when it's a full moon.

"I suspect its witches or devil worshippers but it's always hard to get to the bottom of it."

Jenny Thornton, from SWEP, said she believed Dartmoor ponies were easy targets as they had become used to being fed by humans.

Speaking to the Daily Mail, she described the incident as "horrendous", adding: "The belly has been sliced open. It's a boy and its genitals had been cut off. The tongue had been pulled out and his eyes are missing.

"There have always been rumours of animal sacrifices and sheep have been found dead in the past, often around the time of a full moon.

"All we can be absolutely certain of is that someone has caused unnecessary suffering to an animal, possibly severe suffering if it was still alive at the time."
WARNING: contains upsetting pictures:
http://travel.aol.co.uk/2013/07/26/pony ... d=webmail4

Isn't blaming it on 'satanists' what people do when they're actually just clueless?

I suppose it looks a bit better than saying they don't know.

Yeah, who are all these "Satanists"? What do they do the rest of the time? Why are they only ever blamed by the police for horse mutilations? Where did this trend start? Lots of unanswered questions.

From what I can see from the pics there isn't much that couldn't be explained by scavengers attacking a body, the 'white paint' could be bird droppings. And where is the blood? Even a small foal would bleed a lot of blood from those injuries if it were alive. How do they know the burn marks are anything to do with the foal's death? Most beauty spots have signs of fires.

Maybe it's time to stop blaming the Satanists and start blaming the ABCs?

I don't think there is anything unusual about it at all, feral foals can die easily from a number of natural causes, foxes and ravens will eat the easiest parts first - eyes, soft belly, tongue. An ABC wouldn't have left much, there was a case earlier this year where a foal was partially eaten (can't remember where or when exactly, will have to search) and might have been caused by a large predator. Interestingly this sparked a discussion on the Horse and Hound forum where more than one person said they had had livestock killed by a large predator, one person had even had DNA tests done of saliva from wounds on a dead sheep and they were found to have been caused by a big cat. DEFRA told them not to tell anyone in case people got scared!

It's a strange state of affairs when an ABC is more likely culprit than a human off their heads, but at least a big cat would be following its natural urges (if that's a comfort at all). But you're right, there are plenty of reasons why a dead horse or pony might have bits missing when there are native (non-ABC) predators about.

Horse dies After "sexual assault" (And stabbing)

Police are investigating after a horse was stabbed and sexually assaulted in Aberdeenshire.

The incident happened near New Pitsligo overnight between Sunday and Monday.

Blaze, an 18-year-old female pony, had to be put down following the incident.

In a Facebook post, the horse's owner, Zoe Wright, said Blaze had been stabbed twice in the chest and "sexually violated". She has offered a £1,000 reward for anyone who provides information which leads to an arrest.

Ms Wright urged other horse owners in the area to check their animals for suspicious cuts, and to contact the police if they see anything or anyone suspicious.

She added: "My lovely Blaze was the nicest pony, she has been part of our family for 18 years, the complete low life scum who did this to her needs to face justice for what they have done."

Police Scotland confirmed it had received a report of a horse being injured and was investigating. Officers have appealed for any witnesses to contact them.

(c) BBC 2015

Odd to see The Archers in the esoterica section. What's next? Britney Spears in Cryptozoology? The Flumps in Paraspsychology?

On a more-horse slashing note, my good lady swears that one of the nasty-looking horsey scars featured in the latest FT looks very like an aggravated St John's Wort allergy (?). I know nowt about horses tho' so i'll take her word.

St Johns wort isn't very kind to white furred animals.

Back