• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Hospital Happenings Of The Supernatural Kind

icklewickledel

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
I thought I'd share some stories that my wife has told me over the years regarding her experiences working on one of the wards at the local midwifery hospital.

I'll give a little background about the ward first to put things in perspective. This particular ward is were terminations are carried out for both personal and medical reasons, there are also two bereavement suites were parents who have lost their children whilst in the hospital can spend time with them.

My wife has always said that the ward has a very oppressive atmosphere especially when empty of clients, which is not surprising when you consider all the traumatic experiences that have occured there.

The first experience happened to one of my wifes colleagues. The person in question had gone outside onto a small roof garden attached to the ward for a cigarette, whilst out there this person saw a baby crawling towards them, they then ran terrified back onto the ward and refused to go anywhere else that day by herself.

On another occasion the day shift were handing over to the night shift and everyone was in the ward office when a buzzer in one of the rooms sounded, which can only be turned off in the room that they were activated. The room in question was one of the bereavement suites were a family had recently finished spending time with their recently deceased child whose body was in a basket in the room. When the staff got to the room they found it bereft of anyone living and were at a loss to explain who had activated the buzzer.

Other events include sightings of a toddler running around, the sounds of chanting coming from the bathroom of a room someone was resting in as well as a pair of old ladies sat in the day room.

My wife trained as a psychologist before turning to her current career and is not prone to making up fanciful stories and she assures me that the people who reported the stories to her are of impecable character and seemed genuinly terrified by their experiences.

We love haunted hospital stories. 8)
There are threads on here about them. Scary stuff. :shock:

My sister's a nurse & she's seen more than her fare share of the ghosties..

Well, spit 'em out then! :D

My granddad was a senior charge nurse in a psychiatric hospital, on the more violent patients' wards. The hospital was a former manor house, approached (at that time) up a large drive, surrounded by trees. The manor house had its own grounds, orchards, lake etc.

They 'say' that every so often, the former Lady of the Manor, Lady Margaret, would drive up the pathway to the manor house, in a carriage drawn by headless horses (no - I don't know how they saw where they were going either!) and anyone who saw her died within 4 days.

Well, Granddad never saw her, but he did say there were nights when you heard wheels coming up the drive and what sounded like horses champing at the gravel, and you never risked looking out of the window to check! :shock:

My Nan was a staff nurse. She would tell the story of how they had an elderly couple in the hospital, on separate wards (them were the days!). The old lady called my Nan over and told her her husband had just died. Nan tried to reassure the old lady, but she insisted that a bird had just flown through the ward and out the windows - which were closed. At that point, the 'phone rang, and Nan answered it - it was the sister from the Men's ward to tell her that the old man had died and to tell his widow.

Rather peculiar. But she said that kind of thing happened more than once.

Witnessing souls leaving the dearly departed

My best friends is a surgical and intensive care nurse here in the US. She's told me that she's witnessed souls leaving the dearly departed.

One particular instance was witnessed by multiple nurses, doctors, and family members: the death of a popular local church pastor.

According to my friend, the pastor knew he was dying, and was at peace with it. His family, friends and parishioners came to visit, and he was surrounded by love. He lost consciousness, and was in deep coma. Per his wishes, his family asked that he be disconnected from life support. He smiled a radiant smile and passed; within seconds everyone in the room witnessed a white cloudy mist leave his chest and wind it's way up towards the ceiling and seemingly disappear.

Everyone in the room looked at each other in amazement; there was a lot of "Did you see that?" and "Did I see what I thought I saw?" Being that this was her patient, my friend documented his passing in the medical records, as well as what happened afterwards. The attending physician signed it.

Be nice to actually SEE that medical record, wouldn't it?

On one of the other haunted hospital threads one may find the stories of the phantom bottom, the invisible fly and the procession of ghostly heads. 8)

escargot1 said:
On one of the other haunted hospital threads one may find the stories of the phantom bottom, the invisible fly and the procession of ghostly heads. 8)
Links please, if such posts exist.

markbellis said:
Be nice to actually SEE that medical record, wouldn't it?

If you're questioning whether this really happened or not, I can only tell you that my friend is a very no nonsense sort of person, and wouldn't have made this up.

This was not the only time in 25+ years of nursing that she'd seen something like this happen; however, it was the most memorable for how it came about and how many people saw it happen.

As for posting the patient's file online, it would be an invasion of privacy, and against the law (and I'm sure against hospital regulations) for her to share the actual file with anyone not authorized to view it.

JandZmom

This is a classic foaf urban legend - no dates are given, no names, no places outside of somewhere in the USA. If your friend exists, she could post the account herself, using her own name, which would at least tell us whether there is an RN in that state with that name. Oh wait, she's on vacation.... or working undercover for the CIA.... or was abducted by aliens......

markbellis said:
This is a classic foaf urban legend - no dates are given, no names, no places outside of somewhere in the USA. If your friend exists, she could post the account herself, using her own name, which would at least tell us whether there is an RN in that state with that name. Oh wait, she's on vacation.... or working undercover for the CIA.... or was abducted by aliens......

Your tone and treatment of my post in these message boards is not appreciated.

My friend works for a hospital in the piedmont area of NC, and that is all I will say about her. Validating your curiostiy is not important enough to me to compromise her by sharing any additional personally identifiable information.

This was no "FOAF" urban legend. I rest easy knowing that she told me the truth of what happened and I shared that with you.

JandZmom

And on another hospital topic...

Considering what an A-wipe markbellis is being, I'm not going to bother posting the other fortean hospital stories my friend shared with me.

HOWEVER, if anyone is interested in a hilarious story my nurse friend shared with me about her first Christmas Eve rotation in the ER, which involved a Christmas ham and a patient in stirrups denying it's existence, message me.

Every Christmas Eve, for the rest of my life, I will giggle and remember.

JandZmom

What really bothers me about stories like this is that nobody considers what kind of emotional impact they have on people who've had loved who've died - they've seen people they've cared about all their lives slip away slowly in pain, and no miracle happened - no puffs of smokes, angelic voices or things like that - they just stopped breathing. What are they supposed to think when they hear stuff like that? Because their father wasn't religious enough, he hasn't gone to heaven?

escargot1 said:

I dunno about the "scary." Eerie, maybe. Personally, I find them hopeful.

markbellis said:
What really bothers me about stories like this is that nobody considers what kind of emotional impact they have on people who've had loved who've died - they've seen people they've cared about all their lives slip away slowly in pain, and no miracle happened - no puffs of smokes, angelic voices or things like that - they just stopped breathing. What are they supposed to think when they hear stuff like that? Because their father wasn't religious enough, he hasn't gone to heaven?

Look, Mark, my own Dad died in the circumstances you describe - he just stopped breathing after three or four weeks in a terminal coma. No fireworks, no puff of smoke, no laser light show.

But why in the wide world should this turn me against the many hundreds of "positive" reports collected and collated over the decades and indeed the centuries?

You seem to be operating from a premise that only individuals who exude pinwheels of light at the moment of death have any sort of chance at an afterlife. So I'm going to have to ask you to justify that position.

When my Dad lay dying (see immediately above) I had several long conversations with the hospital hospice unit floor physician and it turned out that he was quite the committed Survivalist.

"I'm a little surprised to hear you say that, Doctor," I remarked. "I'd sort of assumed that working around all this death and dying might have turned you into something of a Materialist."

"Oh, no, no, not at all," he answered. "Exactly the opposite. You have to understand that we....see.....things....here."

The chief RN seated at a desk a few feet behind the physician then made a quiet but still audible "hmmmm...." of agreement, nodding her head up and down.

The ball's no longer in the Materialist's court, and it hasn't been there for some time past.

Hi All,
From what my nurse friend said, what she and the others saw was not the norm. She said that it happens sometimes, and not everyone who it happens to is as religious as said pastor, nor have they lived a supposed "pious" life.

I'm going to relent and tell another of my friend's stories about the dying.

There was young man -- a "gang banger" and a drug dealer. He was shot numerous times in a drug deal gone bad, and had survived his long surgery to end up on my friend's unit. He had killed another teen in the process, so the police were involved and were going to arrest him if he survived. No family or friends had come to see him or called about him. He was very sick, and because of that, he was on 1-to-1 care, and my friend was his nurse.

He hung on for a few days. My friend was in his room with him when he died. She saw a white cloudy mist leave this guy, too -- only she said that it was much fainter and went up much quicker than with the pastor.

Who knowns why this sometimes happens, and sometimes doesn't? I wouldn't hang my hat on something like this being a definitive indicator (or not) of a loved one going to heaven or some other equally lovely afterlife. I can tell you that even though my friend has witnessed some amount of this type of thing over the years, she is still not religious, and is wishy-washy about there even being an afterlife.

JandZmom

jandzmom said:
Who knowns why this sometimes happens, and sometimes doesn't?

It may well be something that happens with every death but is only rarely seen and even then may not be recognized for what it is.

I wouldn't hang my hat on something like this being a definitive indicator (or not) of a loved one going to heaven or some other equally lovely afterlife

I can think of a lot weaker hooks upon which to hang that particular hat.

Ravenstone said:
Well, spit 'em out then! :D

i'll relay some of her accounts later on, probably tonight. i've asked her to post herself, but this board's not really her thing (or the internet in general, besides ebay :))

stay tuned - it's some weird shit!

Well if their father wasn't religious enough he doesn't need to go to heaven!

I'm amazed you consider the feelings of arbitrary people [as it may never happen the way you've just said it] but you happily piss off people here on the board by being rather condescending.
Not everybody is a lier but for you to think so gives me some incling to your own mindset.

Jandzmom, ignore him.

Hospital Super-Natural OOB experiences

Something else my nurse friend has shared with me is that about 10% of her patients who "code" and are brought back, report some type of out of body experience.

She said that some can tell you exactly what has happened to them, some only come back with bits and pieces.

The first time it happened to her as a young nurse, it completely freaked her out. Mostly, because the patient re-counted a mistake she had made in handing an item to a doctor, and the doctor subsequently called her an idiot.

Another time she learned to be careful of what she said during the recessitation, because she had said something awful about the patient that had coded, and the patient confronted her about it afterwards.

JandZmom

OldTimeRadio said:
escargot1 said:

'Hopeful' isn't the way ward staff tend to feel at 3am on a winter's morning when they've been run off their feet all night, sit down to their first brew in six hours and see a leg complete with buckled shoe and silk stocking emerge from the wall in front of them.

escargot1 said:
OldTimeRadio said:
escargot1 said:

'Hopeful' isn't the way ward staff tend to feel at 3am on a winter's morning when they've been run off their feet all night, sit down to their first brew in six hours and see a leg complete with buckled shoe and silk stocking emerge from the wall in front of them.

Ack. Gross.

Why does this thread bother your so much markbellis rather than other topics? There are plenty of stories about supernatural happenings around death including plenty of books about near death experiences etc. its not as though this is the only one.

I suppose the Christmas period is meant to be a difficult time for people who have been recently bereaved - well I'm just guessing

Re: Hospital Super-Natural OOB experiences

jandzmom said:
Something else my nurse friend has shared with me is that about 10% of her patients who "code" and are brought back, report some type of out of body experience.

This conclusively proves that about 90 percent of people have no afterlife.

Right, Mark?

If we could haul this out of the schoolyard a moment and ask for a few details..? I mean, in terms of JandZmoms account, it would be kind of unusual, maybe ground-breaking, for a medical record to document an apparent spirit manifestation, counter-signed by other medical professionals, wouldnt it? Precisely the kind of data (anonymised of course) that would be at home on these pages. But I understand how difficult that would be to obtain at one level, or more, remove.

I will say, Ive heard incredibly detailed stories from close and trusted friends that have subsequently turned out to be embellishments of modern folk tales, to my own and their embarrassment. Obviously I dont know you JandZ and make no assumptions, but posting up here on these boards does attract a healthy level of scrutiny, lets see it in those terms.

HenryFort said:
I will say, Ive heard incredibly detailed stories from close and trusted friends that have subsequently turned out to be embellishments of modern folk tales, to my own and their embarrassment.

But then can we ever believe anybody about anything?

Not my job to convince you...

Unfortunately, there is nothing I can say to prove my friend's stories. She has always been a truthful person, and so I believe her.

Just as there's nothing I can do to prove my truthfullness -- but then again, how can anyone here prove their truthfullness? I've seen very little hard evidence from anyone on any of these boards in their postings -- only their word.

Merry Christmas,
JandZmom

Back