• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Hospital Happenings Of The Supernatural Kind

er [waves feebly] i'm still here, after a couple of nights in hospital.

nothing definitely weird to report , but quite a few misperceptions.

like things seen moving (floaters in my eye), and odd echos from various monitors, where clatter clatter came from one place while beep beep! came from another!

most spooky were the odd vibrations picked up by hospital beds - nudge nudge is that a nurse trying to wake you for a blood pressure test? or an ex-patient trying to make himself noticed? never did sort that one out!

i'm probably excommunicated from the NHS now for checking myself out, but not for spooky reasons. may report more when i can use both hands onthr keyboard...

Re: Hospital Super-Natural OOB experiences

OldTimeRadio said:
jandzmom said:
Something else my nurse friend has shared with me is that about 10% of her patients who "code" and are brought back, report some type of out of body experience.

This conclusively proves that about 90 percent of people have no afterlife.

Right, Mark?

Thats good, I don't like crowds

rynner said:
er [waves feebly] i'm still here, after a couple of nights in hospital...
Welcome back, you made it. You havent missed much. Not on this thread anyway.

Louisa May Alcott wrote in her journal that when her sister died (the model for Beth in Little Women) she, and I believe her mother and pastor, saw a mist rise from the body and dissapear through the ceiling. If my memory serves right, I think they questioned the minister who said it sometimes happens. I'll have to look it up again.

I think that I remember reading about mist rising from the body at the point of death in a book about near death experiences. The writer seemed to think that it was associated with certain medical conditions but I can't remember what. I will look on my bookshelf but I might have read it somewhere else.

colpepper1 said:
Although my acquaintance with health professionals is limited, those I have come into contact with seem more open to this kind of stuff than other scientists. Maybe working long hours through the night in literally life or death situations predisposes one to flights of imagination, or perhaps proximity to the near dead or newly deceased provides medics with a special insight into the borderlands.

Well, as an ex-scientist, my experience of the trade is that you don't actually spend all that much time thinking about the great mysteries of life. No, things are much more on the day-to-day "Why the heck has this gone wrong again" and "Hang on, that's not what I expected" and quite often the prospect of what you're going to have for lunch creeps in.

Staring down a microscope for hours on end, collecting wildlife upon which to experiment, or waiting by an HPLC unit, hoping it doesn't break before you get whatever you're doing done and the like is really pretty damn boring but at the same time exacting and you need to pay attention to detail.

What you don't see is ghosts, or forteana.

The closest I've ever got is seeing huge fuzzy out-of-focus blobs down a microsocope which bear a startling resemblence to the "orb" phenomena so beloved of tacky ghost TV shows; these are both the same phenomenon, namely out of focus dust motes, very small, very strongly illuminated dust motes very close to big aperture lenses.

So to summarise, whilst I tend to rather despise the loonier end of the religious lot for a complete failure to face facts, I never did get all that much exposure to possibly fortean phenomena. My present career is in computing and again, this is rather devoid of things Fortean.

plusk said:
Hi OTR,

I agree with you that most racing drivers are safe drivers. Stirling Moss was the exception that proved the rule.

You know, I've never understood that expression. How can an exception to a rule prove the existance of the rule?

Am I being too literal-minded?

I have to say, the story is good... but the bit about the baby... If i saw a baby crawling on a roof, my first thought would be "sh*t how did you get out here! I gotta get you back inside" not "sh*t it's a ghost baby!!"

:shock:

I was looking at a blog,The Paramedic's Diary and noticed this interesting sentence. The paramed is called to an RTA death.

He wasn't long dead because there was an eerie plume of steam rising up from inside his skull.

I can understand why this would happen outdoors in the cold air, but I bet it looked wierd.

Caution! The blog is a paramedic's account of his everyday work and contains some graphic descriptions of death scenes.

escargot1 said:
He wasn't long dead because there was an eerie plume of steam rising up from inside his skull.

I can understand why this would happen outdoors in the cold air, but I bet it looked wierd.
Is this referring to exposed brain matter?

Well, without going into too much detail, the man's brain was no longer present, but you've got the right idea.

He had apparently fallen asleep drunk in the middle of a busy road, on a foggy night. :(

Getting back to the hospital stories theme, I've worked at a hospital for 10 years now, and I have listened to every form of ghost story there is, I have 2 interesting stories. The first one concerns my ex-partner who was a patient in the hospital where i work before i began my employment there. My ex, (Before we were acquainted) had suffered terrible multiple fractures following an incident when she was in the T.A's, she spent many weeks, months in the hospital where I currently work. According to her she nearly died on several occasions as a result of her injuries. One night she recalls a lucid dream in which she was having a conversation with with a young male patient who had just arrived in the next bed, in the conversation my ex discussed her lack of hope for her future, the patient in the next bed was involved in the conversation(Within the dream setting) indicated that she had a lot to live for and would one day give birth to a child (even though doctors had ruled this out as a possibilty due to her terrible injuries) Other issues were discussed which I cannot recall at this moment. However when my ex woke in the morning she looked to see who the occupant of the bed was next to hers, with whom she had shared this strange dream conversation with, only to see that the bed was empty? she then asked a member of the nursing staff what happened to the young man who was in the next bed? My ex was informed that he had died in the early hours of the morning! Lo and behold, despite all the odds my ex gave birth to our son in 2001. despite this split up we still get along.

The next story concerns a group of doctors who whilst on a routine ward round, were suddenly 'bleeped' in order to answer a cardiac arrest on a ward which was some distance away from the one they were on. this meant a long and fast run to reach the patient at the other end of the hospital, whilst on their emergency sprint, they came across an old lady clinging on to a a wall rail asking for help because she was dying, one or two of the doctors stopped in mid flight and quickly explained that they were on their way to an emergency but they will soon be back to help her if she could just wait a short while, one of the doctors realising that their was enough in the team to deal with the cardiac arrest waited with the lady, and continually asked 'what seems to be the problem' (In fashionable doctor lingo) but the old lady just repeated the same sentence 'please help me I'm dying', the doctor eventually reached the conclusion that the lady was suffering from possible age related confusion and ventured to explain to the lady that she would get help from a member of the nursing staff as soon as she reached the ward. Eventually our young female doctor reached the ward where the closing stages of the cardiac arrest had taken place, only to sadly witness the emergency equitpment being taken off the patient who had suffered her last breath. however she was stunned to see that the person who lay still in death was the same person whom she had moments before had been involved in a converstation with holding onto a corridor rail asking for help! she quickly ran back to the corridor to catch a possible glimpse of the old lady, but to no avail.......?

:shock:
EXCELLENT stories. Ah, Ambassador, you are spoiling us! :D

gazzo10 said:
Eventually our young female doctor reached the ward where the closing stages of the cardiac arrest had taken place, only to sadly witness the emergency equitpment being taken off the patient who had suffered her last breath.

Bloody hell, how long did it take her to get to the ward, or did she stop off for lunch? Surely if it's worth beeping the quacks to come and save the old girl it's worth a proper go at it? Or do they just wheel the crash kit in, give it one pop, then say, "Naah, she's croaked, sign the book".
NHS cuts eh, tsssk!

Or maybe just a dismal story?
Cynical? Moi?

Lordy!

Cynical maybe.
Rude definately.

It was a sad but interesting story.

Poor old lady. :cry:

LordRsmacker said:
gazzo10 said:
Eventually our young female doctor reached the ward where the closing stages of the cardiac arrest had taken place, only to sadly witness the emergency equitpment being taken off the patient who had suffered her last breath.

Bloody hell, how long did it take her to get to the ward, or did she stop off for lunch? Surely if it's worth beeping the quacks to come and save the old girl it's worth a proper go at it? Or do they just wheel the crash kit in, give it one pop, then say, "Naah, she's croaked, sign the book".
NHS cuts eh, tsssk!

Cynical? Moi?
Well you obviously have little hospital experience,go see some real hospitals and stop watching casualty! I work for a medical unit and medical units are spread all over a hospital, that has it's own bus service in order to get patient relatives and staff about. I admire doctors who constantly have to run from one end of the hospital to the other in order to see to a variety of cardiac arrests.(Please dont assume that doctors are waiting around on every ward for someone to have a cardiac arrest) Let me give you an example, as a nurse i sometimes have to transfer a patient on a bed from the admissions unit were i work, to a medical ward. this can take me literally 30 mins to and fro at fast pace (Porters dont piss about when they have a million other patients to see to) the hospital where i am based was once descibed as being the 4th biggest in europe. If thats the only criticism of the story I have told then I will gladly show you around its sheer size. I am constantly having to redirect not only patients but also relatives, even doctors to their destination. As for the story maybe you should be introduced to the several scientifically educated previously sceptical (one of whom a consultant) doctors on the scene. or maybe as a sceptic you should retain your criticisms before you know the full facts. (i'm a sceptic, but certainly would not blab off the moment something does not appear right with my viewpoint, otherwise i could just say einstein was full of crap the moment i read the first page!

rynner said:
er [waves feebly] i'm still here, after a couple of nights in hospital.

nothing definitely weird to report , but quite a few misperceptions.

like things seen moving (floaters in my eye), and odd echos from various monitors, where clatter clatter came from one place while beep beep! came from another!

Should such masters of the fiddled funny noise and dodgy seance like "Most Haunted" ever be short of a place to investigate, they could always come round my place.

I live in a century-old terraced house, which prior to my arrival was a bit damp. Since I moved in, fixed the central heating and stuck a dehumidifier in the cellar, the place has slowly dried out and more and more creaks, groans and thermal knocks and whatnot have arrived to take up residence.

Conduct a spot of table-tapping in my house, and you won't just get the odd yes/no but a few new Shakespearian plays; any ghost would probably be best off sending me an email rather than try to get a bump in edgeways...

gazzo10 said:
LordRsmacker said:
gazzo10 said:

NHS cuts eh, tsssk!

Cynical? Moi?
Well you obviously have little hospital experience,go see some real hospitals and stop watching casualty! I work for a medical unit and medical units are spread all over a hospital, that has it's own bus service in order to get patient relatives and staff about. I admire doctors who constantly have to run from one end of the hospital to the other in order to see to a variety of cardiac arrests.(Please dont assume that doctors are waiting around on every ward for someone to have a cardiac arrest) Let me give you an example, as a nurse i sometimes have to transfer a patient on a bed from the admissions unit were i work, to a medical ward. this can take me literally 30 mins to and fro at fast pace (Porters dont piss about when they have a million other patients to see to) the hospital where i am based was once descibed as being the 4th biggest in europe. If thats the only criticism of the story I have told then I will gladly show you around its sheer size. I am constantly having to redirect not only patients but also relatives, even doctors to their destination. As for the story maybe you should be introduced to the several scientifically educated previously sceptical (one of whom a consultant) doctors on the scene. or maybe as a sceptic you should retain your criticisms before you know the full facts. (i'm a sceptic, but certainly would not blab off the moment something does not appear right with my viewpoint, otherwise i could just say einstein was full of crap the moment i read the first page!
To be honest, though, if the 'young female doctor' was in a group of people responding to the crash call, and the ones who didn't stop were the ones treating the old dear, then the female doctor must have hung around a fair while looking at the apparition, or else the rest of the crew didn't spend long trying to rescusitate her .... this would be how I interpret LordRsmacker's criticism. Irrespective of how long it took to get there, they were all together up to the point when one stopped to 'help' the ghostie, by your own account.

Still, it's a nice story. Although as crisis apparitions go it is a bit of a nonsensical one - the woman projected to distract people from saving her life by pleading for help? :confused:

_Lizard23_ said:
Still, it's a nice story. Although as crisis apparitions go it is a bit of a nonsensical one - the woman projected to distract people from saving her life by pleading for help? :confused:

I dunno, if you're in hospital, scared and in pain, who do you want most? A doctor!
Perhaps, if it did happen, the lady had no control over where she projected herself? She obviously didn't know she was doing it, otherwise surely she would have given direction?

_Lizard23_ said:
gazzo10 said:
LordRsmacker said:
gazzo10 said:

NHS cuts eh, tsssk!

Cynical? Moi?
To be honest, though, if the 'young female doctor' was in a group of people responding to the crash call, and the ones who didn't stop were the ones treating the old dear, then the female doctor must have hung around a fair while looking at the apparition, or else the rest of the crew didn't spend long trying to rescusitate her .... this would be how I interpret LordRsmacker's criticism. Irrespective of how long it took to get there, they were all together up to the point when one stopped to 'help' the ghostie, by your own account.

Interesting point which I agree poses a diificult dilemma (If that was the original criticism and not the time it took for doctors to reach their original destination) However crisis apparitions can happen as far as I have read whether the person concerned (apparition) is dead or alive, to an audience (in this case doctors) who are aware or unaware of the person concerned. Finally besides the obvious assumption that we are talking about a spirit that is trying to convey a badly timed message about the general deterioration of it's own mortal anatomy. Maybe crisis apparitions are telepathic events.conveyed in a way that the person conveying is totally unaware? However maybe I am defending the story too far, and this could have been a case of mistaken identity (Maybe all old people look alike?) we can either dismiss stories like this out of hand, or give them the credence of investigation, I except the fact that human error (even amongst scientific people can occur) But I feel that scepticism serves no purpose unless it gets mucked in, rather than just offering possible alternatives, even psychic mediums can do that.

The idea that crisis apparitions are somehow broadcast by a mind in extremis, and detected by those who are sensitive to them, suggests that there should be examples of multiple apparitions.

So, for the old woman dying, a doctor elsewhere in the hospital might pick up this broadcast, at the same time that some close relatives do.

Are there any known instances of more than one crisis apparition relating to the same event?

Or does the stressed mind somehow target one particular receiver, for whatever reason?

Re: Witnessing souls leaving the dearly departed

jandzmom said:
My best friends is a surgical and intensive care nurse here in the US. She's told me that she's witnessed souls leaving the dearly departed.

One particular instance was witnessed by multiple nurses, doctors, and family members: the death of a popular local church pastor.

According to my friend, the pastor knew he was dying, and was at peace with it. His family, friends and parishioners came to visit, and he was surrounded by love. He lost consciousness, and was in deep coma. Per his wishes, his family asked that he be disconnected from life support. He smiled a radiant smile and passed; within seconds everyone in the room witnessed a white cloudy mist leave his chest and wind it's way up towards the ceiling and seemingly disappear.

Everyone in the room looked at each other in amazement; there was a lot of "Did you see that?" and "Did I see what I thought I saw?" Being that this was her patient, my friend documented his passing in the medical records, as well as what happened afterwards. The attending physician signed it.

I just thought of this thread because I saw something similar yesterday. I was escorting a very sick patient for a scan and because I was away from the ward (and any immediate medical support) and he was unwell enough that he could have died at any moment I didn't take my eyes off his face for a second. He was barely conscious and as I watched him I saw a cloud of thick mist rise from his face. It looked more like smoke than the condensation of his breath but it dissipated and rose very quickly. It didn't happen with any of his subsequent breaths (believe me, I was watching for it). I am certain that it wasn't anything supernatural - it was a definitely something physically present. I've seen similar "thick breaths" (sorry, I can't think of a better word for it and that's how I always think of it) coming from people who have a lot of secretions in the throat that they can't swallow normally (as often happens with very unwell people). My theory is that it's just condensation from breath that is more moist than usual.

rynner said:
The idea that crisis apparitions are somehow broadcast by a mind in extremis, and detected by those who are sensitive to them, suggests that there should be examples of multiple apparitions.

So, for the old woman dying, a doctor elsewhere in the hospital might pick up this broadcast, at the same time that some close relatives do.

Are there any known instances of more than one crisis apparition relating to the same event?

Or does the stressed mind somehow target one particular receiver, for whatever reason?
There is the psychological option, perhaps the doctors were already aware of the failing condition of the patient undergoing a cardiac arrest, from an earlier or previous ward round? and their subconcious created this scenerio, when they heared their bleeps go off for the cardiac arrest warnings (Which stipulates the ward the arrest is occuring) they 'subconciously' already knew which patient was most likely to be the victim of this circumstance! the subconcious then plays out it's role. Bits of evidence are that doctors work in teams, so the same 'team' of a consultant, will be aware of a patients condition, hence the shared apparition or hallucination or whatever you want to call it. Stress does play a part of hallucinations read the 'Story Of Ruth', by Albert swartzman. think thats his name brill book.however not ruling out a paranormal explanation here, or more likely as Richard Dawkins would term; a perinormal experience (One that is unexplained by science at the moment but will be explained by science in the future)

rynner said:

Very interesting, I remember reading somewhere that during death bed vigils, that some people, (whether relatives or not) somehow endured or experience the same dream like or out of body experiences as the person who was dying,whether this was measured by the fact that person who was dying survived or not I cannot recall. but will try find the info or thread, maybe someone else can help. Also this may be connected in some way to recordings of people in close proximity having the same dream. A book was written about this phenomena which I have been trying to get my hands on for years, can anybody help?

We'll need a few clues to help you find the book! ;)

Hey Minda, I wonder if the 'thick breath' is in the med lit anywhere?
And how could breath be seen, unless the air was cold?

One day recently I video'd my dog fooling around in the woods. When I watched the video, I noticed that his breath could be seen clearly, although I hadn't noticed that at the time and was actually enjoying the warm spring weather.

If I'd breathed over the camera I'd have seen my own breath, which might have looked anomalous.

Hmm, s'a funny thing, breath. ;)

Back