• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Hotel Encounters, Anyone?

I don't think they'll mind. Some of them positively relish the prospect and love telling their stories! I've omitted places where they've said they've experienced nothing as I don't think its right for people to go to an un-haunted venue only to be told the spooks packed their bags a long time ago :)

I've been working on a new webpage that might help people with spooky encounters in hotels. It has hotels, separated by county and country, a brief write-up and booking details. As usual, it's a work in progress and I aim to add a few more every couple of days.
Hi DrPaulLee, I'm curious about the source/s that you used for your excellent website. I, naturally, went straight to the Northumberland pages (where I grew up) and found an entry for the Queens' Head Hotel in Sandgate, Berwick-upon-Tweed. I grew up in the town and that's the first mention that I've heard of the Queen's Head being haunted.

The Castle Hotel, in which I worked for a Summer as a teenager, is quite famously haunted and one of the other staff members there actually saw a/the ghost (the only experiences I had were annoying poltergeist-type activity).

@CALGACUS03
My main sources are books, usually the History Press efforts (if you click on the link, you'll see "recommended reading" below the map). But I have also taken to supplement what the books say with newspaper accounts, stories emailed to me - and more recently, my own contacts and interviews.

I'm not familiar with the Castle Hotel (I assume Berwick?). Could I get some details from you and I'll put it up.

I'm not familiar with the Castle Hotel (I assume Berwick?). Could I get some details from you and I'll put it up.
In his book "Haunted Berwick" the author Darren W. Ritson mentions 'The Castle' (as it's known locally) (and yes, it's indeed in Berwick-upon-Tweed) but refers only to The artist L. S. Lowry who habitually stayed there during his annual visits to the town. He doesn't make any claims himself that it's haunted.

The_Castle.jpg

My first full-time job during the Summer between leaving school and going off to college was as a barman in the Castle. The assistant manager of the hotel told me that it was haunted and the manageress (a no-nonsense Irish woman, the sister-in-law of the owner) seemed to agree with him. According to the assistant manager the ghost was of a cook who had hung himself in the kitchen from the exposed overhead pipes.

Everything was fine for the first few weeks that I worked there. Then one evening I came back to work (this was in the days of split shifts for bar-work - opening hours were 11am - 3pm and 7pm until 11.00pm) and was met by the manageress and assistant manager in the hotel lobby. According to them they'd heard a tremendous crash from the cellar half-way through the afternoon. They'd gone down to the cellar together (having to unlock the public bar itself and then the door that led behind the locked and shuttered serving area (there was the sound of further crashes as they were doing this)) and, according to the assistant manager, who'd been in the lead, they stepped into the cellar just as a crate of mixers was lifted into the air and flung across the room - hitting the opposite wall. The cause of the earlier noises that they'd heard was two crates of empty mixer bottles and a crate of empty beer bottles that had similarly been flung about the cellar.

I was somewhat skeptical about this - I thought that it might just be a trick being played on the 'new guy' (i.e. me). However, it seemed a fairly costly one as I had to spend a lot of my shift that evening cleaning up spilt orange juice and beer dregs and washing down lots of bottles and kegs that had sticky fruit juice and beer all over them as well as clearing up broken glass and mopping the floor.

From then on there was low-grade poltergeist type activity in the bar (and according to the waitresses and kitchen staff in the dining-room and kitchen too). Things would go missing such as order pads, corkscrews, and the knife that we used behind the bar to slice lemons. These things would invariably be found in the dining-room or kitchen (or occasionally behind the reception desk). One of the more annoying things would be the draught beer would stop working and I would have to go down into the cellar to turn it back on since the taps down there had been turned off (the woman who worked with me behind the bar refused point-blank to go into the cellar because of the ghost).

I finished my Summer job and went off to college but returned at Christmas and dropped into the hotel for a pint and to catch up with whatever staff were still working there. The assistant manager greeted me with great excitement and told me that the 'ghost' had been seen.

Michelle, one of the waiting staff during the Summer, had started working behind the bar when I left, and she was still there at Christmas. Apparently, one filthy wet, windy November evening mid-week there'd been no guests staying in the hotel and no-one booked to arrive and the manageress and assistant manager had gone out for a meal together leaving Michelle to be bar-maid (to an empty bar in an empty hotel). She'd been sitting reading a book at the end of the bar from where she could see into the hotel lobby. She heard the noise of the front door of the hotel swinging open and looked up to see a tall figure in a long black coat with 'layers on the shoulders' (I asked her at this point if she meant a sort of coachman's coat and she said yes). The figure walked into the lobby, turned left and then almost immediately right and went behind the reception desk. Michelle jumped down off her stool and dashed behind the reception desk but there was no one there - she then checked the office behind reception, but it too was empty, and there was nowhere for the figure to have gone. All this had happened in just a few seconds and it was only then that it dawned on her that the figure had been wearing a top hat!

She seemed quite calm and matter-of-fact about what had happened when she told me about it a few weeks later. She could, of course, have just been making it all up.

The hotel has changed hands at least twice since then (and the bar has been beautifully refurbished). The last time I was in I asked the barmaid if they had a hotel ghost and she said 'no' (while looking at me as though I was mad) - so maybe it's gone, or maybe it was never there in the first place.

I've never mentioned this on here before since there's nothing very conclusive about it and I never witnessed anything fortean personally. I don't think it really merits being included on your website DrPaulLee.

ETA: Sorry about the length of the above! :eek:

@CALGACUS03
This is perfect, just what I'm after! Could I just ask how recent these occurrences were?

Last edited:
@CALGACUS03
This is perfect, just what I'm after! Could I just ask how recent these occurrences were?
Summer 1984 - a long time ago I'm afraid. The hotel has changed hands at least twice since then.

I'd say that there's a general acceptance in town though that The Castle is haunted.

BTW, the door that's visible in the photo above is the one that Michelle claimed that the ghost entered through (there's also another, smaller, door on the opposite side of the building - nearer the railway station).

A website here with more history of the hotel than you'll ever need/want to know! I only came upon it because I'm a bit of a history nerd - and I used to work there.

Last edited:
A possible explanation is that the ghosts are now dormant, or become extinct. I get that a lot in my study.

I like your comment about the beer taps in the cellar being turned off. I get that a lot too! One bar man kept traipsing back and forth to turn the taps back on and when he got upstairs, there would be no beer. So, off he went downstairs again...and up he went...and so on. Eventually he yelled out something like "Pack it in!" and the ghosts obliged.

I've been working on a new webpage that might help people with spooky encounters in hotels. It has hotels, separated by county and country, a brief write-up and booking details. As usual, it's a work in progress and I aim to add a few more every couple of days.

www.paullee.com/ghosts/hotels.php

I got to 400 locations and stopped for a while as I needed a break to be honest. Since social media seems to be the "in" thing these days, I've started a Facebook page which lists one hotel per day. There's not much there as I've only just created it. The second entry is one that hasn't been mentioned before as far as I can see. I got talking to the proprietor a haunted pub and he said that he's been there 26 years and there have only been "legends" - but then he piped up that he's just sold a nearby hotel that has ghosts and would I like to know more...?
*Bloody stupid question!*

https://www.facebook.com/UKHauntedHotels

I got to 400 locations and stopped for a while as I needed a break to be honest. Since social media seems to be the "in" thing these days, I've started a Facebook page which lists one hotel per day. There's not much there as I've only just created it. The second entry is one that hasn't been mentioned before as far as I can see. I got talking to the proprietor a haunted pub and he said that he's been there 26 years and there have only been "legends" - but then he piped up that he's just sold a nearby hotel that has ghosts and would I like to know more...?
*Bloody stupid question!*

https://www.facebook.com/UKHauntedHotels
Thanks for the link,looking forward to reading.

Thanks to my friends plugging my page at my request (and the SPR even mentioning it), the number of likes and follows has shot up. I've also put links to the books I used as sources (any private info direct from the venue is mentioned in the blurb).

Back