• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Hotel Encounters, Anyone?

On the ghostwalk here in Stockholm, I used to tell the story of a hotel poltergeist. I heard the rumour and went to speak to the owners. They denied it but the girls on reception were more than willing to fill me in and put me in otuvh with some of others whi had experienced the poltergeist.

In the Old Town part of the city, there is a nice hotel very close to the Royal Palace. There is a room on the top floor which experiences (quite severe at times) poltergeist activity. This in itself is unusual, as it seems the energy is attracted to the room itself rather than a person.

People staying in the room report objects of furniture moving, sometimes rearranging themselves when they are in the bathroom. Their own personal belongings disappear and reappear in odd places whilst they are in the room (and no others have entered).

Guests in the adjoining rooms have been known to ring to reception in the middle of the night and report that the noises coming from that room are unacceptable. However, more often than not, when the loud noises are reported it would seem that the room is available and no-one has checked in. Then the poor sods on reception have to go and explore the empty "haunted" room in the middle of the night.

The hotel has even adopted a new policy when it comes to how their housekeeping girls work. On that floor, they work in pairs rather than individually. The girls felt uneasy on that floor and on the odd occasion, were being hassled in that room by an unseen force. The most (locally) famous instance concerns one girl who had just finished making the room. She left and was closing the door behind her when she heard and felt a thud on the inside of the door. She sheepishly tried to open the door but found she couldn't. Something was blocking the door. She forced it open and found that a pillow from the bed had been thrown after her and had become wedged under the door. The bed she had just made was now in a shambles and the furniture in the room had all been disturbed.

Why is the sprit there? No idea. All I can turn up is that the hotel was once a weigh house but I'm not sure if they ever held witch trials there or in fact if witch trials were ever held in weigh houses in Sweden.

Ringo_ said:
..the girls on reception were more than willing to fill me in and put me in otuvh...
WTF!

I thought this must be some new acronym I'd not heard of, until I realised it was a typo for 'touch'!

Perhaps the polt is getting at your keyboard too! ;)

rynner2 said:
Ringo_ said:
..the girls on reception were more than willing to fill me in and put me in otuvh...
WTF!

I thought this must be some new acronym I'd not heard of, until I realised it was a typo for 'touch'!

Perhaps the polt is getting at your keyboard too! ;)

How did I manage that? otuvh? My fingers couldn't keep up with my brain.

When we stayed overnight in a 'Day's Inn', the first back on the English side coming from Scotland, my husband had a case of sleep paralysis. He was totally aware yet couldn't move, whilst the bedside lamps were on and I was reading on my phone. I tried to 'wake' him up gently and when he suddenly drew in his breath with fear, he told me that he just experienced sleep paralysis and that there was a man standing right next to the bed...
Ohhh exciting I thought, describe him.
Well he was ordinary looking, wearing a suit.

I laughed my head off, be it a hallucination brought on by sleep paralysis or a ghost, wearing a suit, somehow was quite weird. Normally apparitions wear more 'romantic' attire.

Ringo_ said:
In the Old Town part of the city, there is a nice hotel very close to the Royal Palace. There is a room on the top floor which experiences (quite severe at times) poltergeist activity. This in itself is unusual, as it seems the energy is attracted to the room itself rather than a person.
My husband and I stayed in that very room on our wedding night! We hadn't heard about the hauntings at the time, though.

And I'm very sad to say that we experienced nothing out of the ordinary :( .

About 6 years ago me & a mate decided to go to Leeds for a night out, we took our girlfriends (at the time). It was near Xmas & money was a bit tight so we booked into a brand hotel (either premier inn or travelodge).

The traffic was bad that night & we didn't get to the hotel until about 9pm. We where in reception & there seemed to be quite a lot of people checking in before us ( couples, stag & hen parties) etc anyhow my mate & his girlfriend where in front of us in the que, they paid & got their key & headed off, we shuffled forward with our bags. Behind the desk was 2 girls & a bloke ( hotel manager) behind them. As we approached one of girls said to the other one something like 'aw no you've put them in that room, hope they don't see anything or they'll complain'. I heard this & the girls didn't know we where together as a group, so I said 'what's up with the room, we are with those 2' the girls looked embarrassed & at this the hotel manager came over & took us too one side & said (descretely), ' that room is haunted, the boy in blue is seen in that room all the time, he appears in a corner of the room upset & crying & then disappears, several staff have seen him & a few of the cleaners'!! So I jokingly said 'well if my mate does I hope they get a discount' !!! We went to the same floor & where a few rooms down, we told our friends & to this day I still think my mate doesn't believe me.

Not exactly a ghost story but when I looked into it the hotel used to be an old mill & obviously lots of children could have died there, also it just shows that when checking into a haunted hotel staff don't know who can be listening!!!!

MadameB said:
Ringo_ said:
My husband and I stayed in that very room on our wedding night! We hadn't heard about the hauntings at the time, though.

And I'm very sad to say that we experienced nothing out of the ordinary :( .

Cool. Did you hear about the hauntings afterwards or did they tell you as you checked out? Have you been on the ghost walk?

Ringo_ said:
Cool. Did you hear about the hauntings afterwards or did they tell you as you checked out? Have you been on the ghost walk?
My husband heard about it years after we'd stayed there, and it was indeed from the guide on a ghost walk in Old Town (he wrote an article about the ghost walk. I haven't attended one myself but my husband said it was very good!).

MadameB said:
Ringo_ said:
My husband heard about it years after we'd stayed there, and it was indeed from the guide on a ghost walk in Old Town (he wrote an article about the ghost walk. I haven't attended one myself but my husband said it was very good!).

You never know, that might have been me although I sold the company in 2008. The hotel also has two sister hotels - one of which I could argue is the most haunted building in Stockholm (besides the often mentioned but never proven Scheffler Palace).

At the other hotel, very near the subway station in the Old Town, there are:

Monks haunting the cellars (the cellars were once part of a church)
Ghostly soldiers walk through the dining room (there is a section of city wall there) Sounds of a piano playing drift through the corridors (even though there is no piano in the building)
Ghostly children run around the corridors (witnessed by guests and staff)
A rocking horse rocks back and forth of its own volition (only happened once)
And to top it all off, a buried treasure hoard was found under the floorboards valued in todays money at over 100 million SEK. It is thought to belong to a Swedish noble family who lived there. However, some of the coins are dated from a period when the family had fallen on hard times. The man and wife lived there in eventual poverty with their (IIRC) 10 children. Meanwhile, somebody was depositing silver coins, plate and other objects under their floor.

I know which hotel you mean (I haven't stayed there or even stepped inside - and now I don't think I would... :shock: )..! Fascinating - and so right for Old Town, which has such a wonderful atmosphere, in spite of all the awful shops and crap...

I think my husband did the interview and article after 2008 - the man he spoke to was named Peter.

OT: My husband went out to photograph the Sheffler palace for another article the other night. Dissapointingly enough, no spooky evidence captured ;) Perhaps if he tries closer to midnight next time...

MadameB said:
I know which hotel you mean (I haven't stayed there or even stepped inside - and now I don't think I would... :shock: )..! Fascinating - and so right for Old Town, which has such a wonderful atmosphere, in spite of all the awful shops and crap...

I think my husband did the interview and article after 2008 - the man he spoke to was named Peter.

OT: My husband went out to photograph the Sheffler palace for another article the other night. Dissapointingly enough, no spooky evidence captured ;) Perhaps if he tries closer to midnight next time...

Peter was one of my guides and he eventually bought the company from me.

Let me know if he wants any help with any other articles regarding weird and wonderful Stockholm - I'm always up for an adventure.

A few years ago my girlfriend and i were staying in a converted cottage in North Devon. It is part of a larger farm converted for holliday homes. I won't tell you the name as it belongs too a friend of a freind and she gets very defensive and frightened at the mention of anything strange in the cottage.
After a day out we came back and the owner asked us if we could remember to switch off all the light and the tv when we went out. I thought this was odd as i switched them all off befor we went out. I'm a bit anal about saving energy and always switch things off. Anyway the next time we went out my girlfriend and i double checked that everything was switched off. Lo and behold we came home to find it all switched on again.
That night as we lay in bed we both heard heavy footsteps from down stairs. It sounded like boots on flagstones. I went down ready for a fight and found the place empty (we were the only guests at the time). Also it dawned on me that the whole house was carpeted and had no bare flagstones.
Next morning when we woke up my girlfriend had bruises all down her right arm (which was on the opposite side of the bed to me) in the shape of a very large hand, far bigger than mine. It was as if somthing had gripped her arm in the night whilst she slept.
We mentioned this to the owner who just said 'Oh, oh don't say that!'She seemed very upset when i broached the subject.
The following year a friend (a prominent fortean writer) and his girlfriend stayed in the same cottage and in the same room. He awoke in the night to a tight feeling around his legs. Looking down he saw the coils of a huge, python-like snake wrapped around him. The thing was hauling him out of the bed! He says that he clearly saw the patterns on it's back in the clear moonlight. The whole creature, most of which lay on the floor, was some 30 feet long! His girlfriend awoke and saw him being dragged from the bed by the snake and tried to pull him back. The snake was gradualy dragging him off the bed so she switched on the bedroom light to find the snake had vanished. My friend bore brusies around his legs.
I have slept in that room on my own once and not a thing happened.

What a shame we don't know which cottage this is. If we did, your FOAF would be inundated with bookings from curious Forteans. ;)

If you have been to the weird weekend you may well have stopped there.
I could tell private individuals so long as they didn't mention it to the owners but i don't want to put it up on a message board.

When I went was staying in a hotel in DisneyLand, Paris, I remember several times hearing the eerie sound of a female voice humming a tune...

The sensible, rational part of me just assumed perhaps it was a cleaner, humming away whilst working, and that I could hear the sound through some sort of vent in the room... but I heard it more and more often....

At one point, my husband peered his head around the bedroom door and said, "Is that you singing??" I looked at him and said, "Definitely not."

I heard it at various hours throughout the week... some times early mornings, sometimes in the afternoon, whilst having a little doze in bed....

Probably a rational, perfectly normal explanation, but it definitely sounded creepy - even in a bright, pink theme park like Disney ;)

Just finished readin an Elliot O Donnell book. He talks about seeing 'elementals', which sounds like what he would have interpreted the snake as. He claimed that diseases are created by elementals and can appear to some humans in a vaguely human form.

We stayed in the converted coach house at a hotel in Dorchester - it was this bonkers decorated Tutankhamun suite. The first night, the sound of horses clopping and jangling kept me awake all night - it was only in the morning looking out onto the carpark I realized how unlikely it was. Husband didn't hear anything but he was totally unnerved by some weird presence in the room - to the point of telling it to f**k off. We were there three nights and by the end of it we were so desperate to leave. All the walls were painted black, we ended up light starved and totally spooked.

Oooh, and googling just turned up this!

http://ghosthunteratlarge.blogspot.ca/2 ... orset.html

This happened about six years ago in a caravan at Dawlish Sands Holiday Park in Dawlish south Devon.
I was there with my girlfriend and her 7 year old son. He was put to be bed we put some cases up against his door so we would hear him if he came out of his room. His mother and i wanted to get a bit intimate and we wanted to be warned if he was getting up to use the toilet.
My girlfriend and i were on the couch in front of the tell. It was about 11 at night and the lights were off. I looked up and saw the silhouette of a child's head peering around the corridor (the caravan was a large static one of about 30 feet. It had rooms on either side of a corridor that ended in a t shape that lead to a mall room on one side and a bathroom on the other.) I said to my girlfriend that the boy was awake. When we looked up the silhouette of a boy of about 7 was standing in the corridor. He seemed to have short hair and what looked like short trousers but the figure was matt black. We looked away for a second and it was gone.

The boy was still in bed asleep and the cases had not been moved from his door. The whole event lasted only seconds. Nothing else untoward happened but my girlfriend thought that the caravan had a 'weird feel' from them moment she entered it.

'Astral Projection' perhaps?

sounds familiar

lordmongrove said:
A few years ago my girlfriend and i were staying in a converted cottage in North Devon. It is part of a larger farm converted for holliday homes. I won't tell you the name as it belongs too a friend of a freind and she gets very defensive and frightened at the mention of anything strange in the cottage.
After a day out we came back and the owner asked us if we could remember to switch off all the light and the tv when we went out. I thought this was odd as i switched them all off befor we went out. I'm a bit anal about saving energy and always switch things off. Anyway the next time we went out my girlfriend and i double checked that everything was switched off. Lo and behold we came home to find it all switched on again.

One of my family may have stayed in the same holiday home. This was a few years ago. Her experiences involved lights being switched on, hairdryer switched on by itself and telly but also radio switching on at full volume playing glenn miller music in the middle of the night. When the radio was tuned to a station which didnt play that style of music. The place was owned by a relative of someone from Time Team".

The lounge and function room at The Hilton Avisford Park, near Arundel West Sussex is haunted. I used to work there and the porters had some great stories to tell. There's a function room off to the right of the lounge where a few years back one of the porters (I can't remember his name (it was 10 years ago!) but he told me this first hand) was moving chairs about when he left the room to get something. When he returned the door was shut and wouldn't budge. Eventually he managed to get the door fractionally open to find all the chairs in the room piled up behind the door, in the space of about a minute!
There have also been sightings of a little girl in victorian dress and an old man reading a paper in one the chairs.
The hotel has been many things over the years including a school and in the restaurant all the prefects names are painted on the oak panelling, there is a hotel legend that, where two of the names appear to have been burnt, these two poor lads died in a fire on site!
There are also areas of the hotel that are particularly creepy and, when I was there, some members of staff refused to go to alone.

One weekend, we stayed at the Gunter Hotel in San Antonio, Texas. It has a notorious murder room and ghost, as well as being the place where Robert Johnson recorded (the also notorious) "Crossroads Blues" among other songs.

I couldn't find much online about it, but this site gives a good synopsis of the story:
http://catierhodes.com/2012/07/20/haunt ... he-gunter/

The hotel was comfortable and nice but our room was a little eerie somehow. When we checked into the room all the lights were burned out. The maids said that they had just changed the bulbs earlier that day, but the lights constantly burned out in that particular room. During the night there was a weird chill and the light bulb in the vestibule went out. It was a bit spooky.

We didn't know where the ghost room was and were too embarrassed to ask. But the second day while we were exploring, a bellman asked us if we knew about the ghost. He said we looked like the type who would enjoy ghost hunting (wonder what gave us away? :D ) and gave us the number of the ghost room. Which turned out to be directly next to ours. :shock: (Thank goodness it wasn't our room - I like a good ghost story but I have my limits!) The second night was considerably more nervous than the first. Luckily, we weren't woken up by any shrieking spirits in the night.

Later we thought about the chill passing through the room and the lights burning out. What if the ghost was taking a stroll through the room and overloaded the circuits? Brr. So, no apparitions but eerie enough to be interesting.

I stayed at the Hotel Colorado in Glenwood Springs, Colorado in summer of 2010. The place dates from 1890s, Teddy Roosevelt and other luminaries stayed there in its glory days. It's been renovated but not modernized so it has a great Old West Grand Hotel atmosphere. Plus, fantastic hot springs just down the hill.

We had a suite of two rooms with shared bath, wife and I in one room and two teenage sons and their friend in the other. We were exhausted from travelling all day and everyone fell asleep - except me, I lay awake for hours. The old place has no air conditioning since they don't usually need it in the mountains, and the air was warm and still, a little uncomfortably so. We had all the windows, the transom over the hallway door, and the door seperating the two bedrooms wide open to promote air circulation. In the wee hours as I lay there awake, the door closed itself. Not slowly like it had crooked hinges, but a nice firm purposeful close with a fairly loud "thunk" like somebody would do if they weren't concerned about waking anyone. I assumed that one of the boys had got out of bed and closed it for some reason, but hadn't heard anyone move, and after half a minute I got up to check. The three boys were dead asleep. Hmmm...I re-opened the door and it stayed open all night.

That's all that happened. I feel sure there wasn't enough air movement to close the door, and that it wasn't due to lopsided hinges because it had been standing open for hours, and if one of the boys had been sleep walking I'm sure I would have heard them. So, possible ghost.

Subsequently, I found many ghost stories about that hotel on the web, and when we returned there last December we found that they now offer a ghost tour, which we took of course. According to which there are several consistently seen ghosts in different areas - a little girl in the 3rd floor hall, a woman in one of the penthouse rooms, and even one room that they've stopped using for guests because of the amount of activity.

and even one room that they've stopped using for guests because of the amount of activity.

That's the room I'd insist on. 8)

:lol: Yup, I'd get a bill for myself and assorted ghosts, who'd have checked out very suddenly. Pressing business elsewhere, y'know. ;)

escargot1 said:
:lol: Yup, I'd get a bill for myself and assorted ghosts, who'd have checked out very suddenly. Pressing business elsewhere, y'know. ;)

A bill for consuming spirits.

Ringo_ said:
In the Old Town part of the city, there is a nice hotel very close to the Royal Palace. There is a room on the top floor which experiences (quite severe at times) poltergeist activity...

Guests in the adjoining rooms have been known to ring to reception in the middle of the night and report that the noises coming from that room are unacceptable. However, more often than not, when the loud noises are reported it would seem that the room is available and no-one has checked in. Then the poor sods on reception have to go and explore the empty "haunted" room in the middle of the night.

Just to add something extra, I stayed in this hotel last Friday night, in the room next to the haunted one. I booked the hotel as a treat for me and the wife (we were going to the opera) and was excited to be put in the next door room. I asked my wife if she would consider moving next door and the hotel said it wouldn't be a probelm if we really wanted to. But the wife decided against it and we stayed put.

No noises, supernatural or otherwise, were heard but the hotel does have quite a creepy air to it. I must admit to having a very troubled sleep thinking about what could be lurking on the other side of the bedroom wall.

Back