• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

How Can A Ghost See?

Analogue Boy

Bar 6
I’ve seen loads of hunting ghosts programmes on TV and most do their spooky supernatural investigations at night. But why?

If a ghost is a shadow or a bit of mist or some other mysterious transclucent form, it doesn’t have a physical retina to pick up light to reflect or carry light impulses into whatever brain it has.

So why do ghost investigations begin at night... other than for spooky atmospheric effect?

I ... If a ghost is a shadow or a bit of mist or some other mysterious transclucent form, it doesn’t have a physical retina to pick up light to reflect or carry light impulses into whatever brain it has. ...

One possible explanation suggests physicality in the environment of observation has little relationship to, or effect upon, the specter.

A large proportion of classic ghost sightings involve specters that are non-responsive or oblivious with respect to the physical environment where they're observed.

For example, the figures may come and go with little or no conflict with current physical objects. Similarly, the specter(s) may stand or move in a manner inconsistent with current physical constraints (e.g., walking out of a wall; apparently standing where the ground or floor level was years ago rather than now; etc.).

As above, ghosts in the stories often don't see their observers. So why assume they see anything else?

I’ve seen loads of hunting ghosts programmes on TV and most do their spooky supernatural investigations at night. But why? ...

So why do ghost investigations begin at night... other than for spooky atmospheric effect?

I wonder how much of this has to do with the notion that ghost sightings most often occur at night. This in turn makes me wonder whether the impression most sightings are nocturnal is something due further examination.

Has anyone ever compiled even gross statistics or rough estimates of the proportionate breakdown between daytime and nighttime sightings?

I’ve seen loads of hunting ghosts programmes on TV and most do their spooky supernatural investigations at night. But why?

If a ghost is a shadow or a bit of mist or some other mysterious transclucent form, it doesn’t have a physical retina to pick up light to reflect or carry light impulses into whatever brain it has.

I used to ponder on this when reading ghost stories as a wee lad. The same applies to Wells' Invisible Man; if his eyes are invisible how can he see where he's going?

I used to ponder on this when reading ghost stories as a wee lad. The same applies to Wells' Invisible Man; if his eyes are invisible how can he see where he's going?

To the extent the fictional is subject to explanation ... I'd say the most straightforward explanation would be to point to the asymmetry / dichotomy between typical assumptions about a ghost versus an 'invisible man':

- Ghost: A non-corporeal / ephemeral (i.e., non-physical) entity whose visibility insinuates it emanates or reflects visible light; versus ...

- Invisible Man: A corporeal / tangible (i.e., physically manifest) entity that operates the same as in its normal / visible form but through which visible light passes unimpeded.

Still, a strict interpretation would imply that there should be something different or discriminable in the vicinity of an invisible man's eyes, insofar as they are presumably interacting with at least some photons - i.e., photons that don't simply pass through unimpeded. For example, one might presume an invisible man's eye sockets would appear blurry or slightly darker than the background.

It might be that ghosts emit a weak light which, much like stars, simply gets drowned out by ambient light during the day.

As for how they see, they are semi-transparent generally. Which could mean that only some of the light passes through them. So their retinas might still recive about 50% of the light that ours do.

As for the invisible man, here is a quote from when he looks at himself in the mirror:

"I went and stared at nothing in my shaving-glass, at nothing save where an attenuated pigment still remained behind the retina of my eyes, fainter than mist."

Invisible Man: A corporeal / tangible (i.e., physically manifest) entity that operates the same as in its normal / visible form but through which visible light passes unimpeded.
......For example, one might presume an invisible man's eye sockets would appear blurry or slightly darker than the background.

In the extended 1975 Harve (Star Trek) Bennett tv series that contemporarily re-imagines the Invisible Man concept, I'm sure the residual patency of the eyes is a persistant (and cinematographically-useful) theme. David McCallum was his eternally-perfect (and understated) self in this role.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Invisible_Man_(1975_TV_series)

(ps I watched the UK broadcasts of this excellent series in the 1970s just weeks after reading Wells' original...thus experiencing the same sort of personal encounter sequence (and era) as was the case for Jeff Wayne's 'War of the Worlds'...ie just read the book, and a modernised version will immediately and magically appear...or so the young me thought

pps Who here remembers the excellent tv series 'Search Control'? https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Search_(TV_series) It was aired around the same time as McCallum's modern-day Invisisible Man. Yet another superb example of quality imaginative 1970s tv sci-fi....I loved it, and soaked it all up like a sponge

I wonder how much of this has to do with the notion that ghost sightings most often occur at night. This in turn makes me wonder whether the impression most sightings are nocturnal is something due further examination.

Has anyone ever compiled even gross statistics or rough estimates of the proportionate breakdown between daytime and nighttime sightings?

Maybe there are more sightings at night when people are more relaxed and receptive.

The problem these programs have is you are more likely to see and ghost when you’re not looking.

Really, why do they think ghosts are easier to catch in the darkness than when there's light? I don't buy the 3AM demon hour thing either. When you hear people talking about ghosts and poltergeists in their own home, they have usually seen them with the lights on, not off.

Back