• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

How many American Muslims?

dreeness

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
:?

Nobody seems to know. Estimates range from one million (or less) to eight million (or more). A search engine isn't much help either, you get numbers all over the place, why is that?

(I don't know if this rates as a "conspiracy", but it sure seems damned odd.)

Could be because nobody really truly knows. Or perhaps in this wonderful climate of fear the Western powers are building it is becoming difficult to get the figures.

According to the 2001 US census it was 1,104,000. Then again, according to the UK Census there are 42 million Christians in these islands, so it depends how you define Muslim - practising, devout, passive affinity, what you put on forms....

If you google "million muslims in the united states", you find

8 to 10 million
less than 2 million
6 to 7.5 million
12 million
1.6 million
5.5 million
6 million
5 million
5 to 7 million
more than 5 million
7 million
between 6 and 8 million
more than 8 million
2 million
4 million
1.9 million

and many more authoritative-sounding numbers, based on goodness knows what.

All of them produced by the "Department For Vaguely Authoritative Sounding Numbers Which We plucked Out of The Air"

misterwibble said:
All of them produced by the "Department For Vaguely Authoritative Sounding Numbers Which We plucked Out of The Air"

And having worked with these folk I can tell you 83% of their figures are at least 62% accurate.

Isn't Jedi now an officially recognised religion due to internutters emailing around saying it would be fun? :roll:

Isn't Jedi now an officially recognised religion due to internutters emailing around saying it would be fun?

I'm not sure if the Jedi campaign worked well enough to get it appearing as a real religion. I did hear that World of Warcraft players in Australia are trying a similar campaign to get WoW recognised as a genuine faith!

I've mentioned this somewhere before. When I was at uni, there was a jedi thing going on. We all put jedi as our religion on our poll cards but I have no idea how many people did it, in total.

I only did it because I haven't been christened and I wanted to fill in the box for once. :(

Averaging dreeness' various figures together (in my head), the result is a little over five million.

But even that number (a little less than two percent) seems high to me. My guess is that this figure may include a goodly number of Christian "Arabs." The total "Arab" population in the United States is said to be two-thirds Christian. This includes families originating in Turkey, the Holy Land, Syria (especially), Iran and Iraq. Most of them become Roman Catholics in this country.

On the other hand, how many Afro-Americans have converted to Islam? That number has to be added to the total.

Presumably for the same kind of reasoning that says, for instance, members of the LDS church (ie Mormons) aren't considered Christians (by the vast, vast majority of Christians or, I believe, by most religion-adherence census-takers). Even given the fairly wide swath of beliefs that have historically been under an umbrella like 'Christianity' or 'Islam', they're so heterodox as to be seen as being beyond even the fringe of that.

As has been stated above, I'm sure a major part of the discrepency boils down to 'who's doing the counting'. But just to apply this on a very micro level to say my own (Lutheran) congregation...The baptized membership is just under 1300. The 'confirmed' membership is a bit over 900. The number who've received Communion in the last year is probably 550. Those who've both received Communion at least once and contributed at least a dollar in the last calendar year (and therefore are eligible to vote on something like electing council members or calling a pastor) is closer to 400.

(As an aside, lest anyone thinks it's the church who insists that all these clearly inactive members be kept on the rolls, it's not. There are any number of folks who've not been to a service in 20+ years who throw coniption fits if you suggest to them that maybe we don't need to send a newsletter to their house every month. :roll: )

So in just one Lutheran congregation of one Lutheran denomination in one small city the answer to "How many are there?" isn't as easy to come up with as it first might appear. (Won't even try to address the complexities of something like Judaism, where I'd guess the number of people in the US who strongly self-identify as Jewish is far, far larger than the number who consider themselves practicing adherents or even at all religious.)

ramble, mumble, ramble...

According to Adherents.Com these are the percentages of Muslim believers for the eight largest Muslim-population states and areas in the United States:

0.80 % New York State.

0.60 % California, New Jersey, Washington, DC.

0.40 % Illinois, Massachusetts, Ohio, Rhode Island.

Thus the (average) Muslim population for THESE states is a little more than one for every 200 citizens. It would seem to be LESS for other areas.

I researched the question a couple of years ago and found that the lowest figures (less than 1.5 million) were provided by a Jewish organization with an interest in minimizing the importance of the Muslim population, while the highest figures were provided by Muslim organizations with a contrary interest (up to 12 million according to a Pakistani paper, a figure which has been quoted by US Muslims). The Encyclopedia Britannica fell pretty much at the mid-point between the extremes.

This site says 5 million but it's figures date to 1990:

http://www.islam101.com/history/population2_usa.html

I'd say that the 95% confidence interval would run from 2 to 7 million but as pointed out above and elsewhere, there is an intractible problem of definition seeing as there is no precise and universal definition of a Muslim--different sects (including Ba'hai) are regarded as heretics by other sects, the main split being between Sunnis and Shiites, much as the main split in American Christianity is between Roman Catholics and Protestants. Although it has become theological, the original split between Sunnis and Shiites was over a question of religious and secular succession to the Prophet.

If the statistics provided by Adherents.Com, quoted by me above, are accurate, Muslims account for approximately one-half of one percent of the total of the states with the LARGEST Muslim populations. It is LESS in other areas.

But even if we extend that one-half of one percent to the entire United States, the total Muslim population would be exactly what your Jewish organization claims - about 1-point-5 million. (One percent of the U. S. population is three million.)

I can't imagine what hat the 12 million figure got plucked from. If that were truly the case there would be considerably more Muslim Americans than Jewish! (Jews account for about three percent of the population, around nine or ten million.)

OldTimeRadio said:
If the statistics provided by Adherents.Com, quoted by me above, are accurate, Muslims account for approximately one-half of one percent of the total of the states with the LARGEST Muslim populations. It is LESS in other areas.

But even if we extend that one-half of one percent to the entire United States, the total Muslim population would be exactly what your Jewish organization claims - about 1-point-5 million. (One percent of the U. S. population is three million.)

I can't imagine what hat the 12 million figure got plucked from. If that were truly the case there would be considerably more Muslim Americans than Jewish! (Jews account for about three percent of the population, around nine or ten million.)

Many of these figures are based on the number of people active in Mosques--1.5 million active Mosque goers (would this be men only?) is probably the basis of that figure and any other number close to 2 million. It's like when fundamentalists count homosexuals--you have to be willing to tell a fundamentalist you are a homosexual and you're only counted if you are having sex at the time. I can tell you that there are a Helluva lot of homosexuals out there that aren't getting laid and don't talk to fundamentalist interviewers.

For one thing, I've seen an estimate that one in four American adults haven't had sex in the last year (before the poll). They can't all be Fugly or Priests. I suspect that closeted gays are a very large portion of this number, the rest being asexuals and the Great Unlaid.

For Muslims you have to figure out how many children, non-Mosque goers, etc., there are per identified Mosque goer and that is where the numbers become impressionistic.

Canada has no problem asking people's religious affiliation in the Census so the figures are more accurate:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islam_in_Canada

About 600,000 as of 2001, or 1.8 percent of the Canadian population.

Muslims thus have come to outnumber Jews in a few short years, which is bad news for the Conservative minority government, even though many Canadian Jews are non-Zionist Hassidic Jews in Montreal.

If you assumed proportionality between the US and Canada, you could reach the 12 million figure easily, but this is another moot point. Since September 11, 2001, many Muslims (and others, such as Lebanese Christians, etc.) have chosen Canada over the United States because of the political situation so basing US populations on Canadian populations would probably overestimate the former somewhat but not radically.

Counting Jews is another problem. Most would say about 6 million in the US but there may be as many as 6 million non-practicing Jews due to intermarriage, irreligion and also the high cost of participation in a fully Jewish religious life (Yeshiva, donations, etc.). The sociologist who made this estimate found that it cost $125,000 a year at the time to be a Good Jew. One reason Jews are associated with the professions and urban centres, not potato farming.

I would go with a figure in the neighbourhood of 6 million for "Middle Eastern plus Islamic converts". It's not as if the skinheads are going to think to ask if you are a Lebanese Marionite Christian or an Assyrian Christian from Iraq before they beat you senseless.

Islam is really making inroads in prisons--and America has more prisoners than any other developed country (although we can't absolutely be sure how many China has).

Islam is the fastest growing religion in Canada after "none of the above/atheism/unchurched" through immigration and a higher birthrate. Hassidic Jews have a healthy birthrate, also--Old World, in fact, but are not numerous. But I always say that the unofficial religion of Canada is lapsed Roman Catholic, seeing as Roman Catholics now represent 45% of the population but they're not turning up in church on Sunday and don't seem to be overwhelmed by the conservative social and sexual values of the Church.

Despite crozier-rattling by the Pope and top brass, it is likely that the Conservative Party's attempt to re-open the gay marriage issue will fall flat in the Autumn, if there's no election by then, and even devout Roman Catholics in Parliament will largely ignore the threat of excommunication, whatever they may think of gay marriage, in favour of party discipline.

Also depends how you define muslim - many people see themselves as culturally muslim without being particularly religious.

H_James said:
Also depends how you define muslim - many people see themselves as culturally muslim without being particularly religious.

Indeed, as do many Jews, Christians, etc.

I suppose the sub-text of worrying how many Muslims there are is whether "they" pose a threat to "our" cosy way of life?

Jane.

And why not may I ask?
I rather live "cosily" than in constant fear and oppression.

So if muslims are just another religious branch its fine with me but if they start messing with my life it's another thing. Please tell me why that is wrong?

BTW this could be applied to all sorts of groups doing the same [Mafia, Gangs, Chavs etc pp.]

I'm sorry that I am not "bored" enough to want my life messed up. Been through a hell of a lot and just getting back to a "sort of peaceful" life.

littleblackduck said:
Many of these figures are based on the number of people active in Mosques--1.5 million active Mosque goers (would this be men only?) is probably the basis of that figure and any other number close to 2 million.

My guess is that the totals are based on Census returns. My understanding is that these would include all members of a given household, unless other religions are specified..

But of course a household can hold members of more than one religion. At one time my own immediate family was comprised of a Roman Catholic, a Southern Baptist, a sort of defunct Evangelical and a Nothing. (The Nothing is today an active Roman Catholic.)

Back