• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

How Many Books?

How do you know when there are too many books in the World? When this happens:

suisqu.jpg

Surely there is no one who enjoyed the film who is functionally literate?

I probably have 60 books on WWII -- and I've read one, so far. Never Surrender, the autobiography of a Japanese soldier who lived on a jungle island for 30 years without realizing the war was over.

I started on Churchill's history, but he starts out with "You couldn't possibly understand all the intricacies behind the start of the conflict without knowing the history of WWI, so trot out and buy my multi-volume history of the Great War." Starting off with a shill turns me off, Winston!

Approximately 1000. There's about 25 I haven't read yet.

Well I can save you a bit of time there Coal and tell you not to bother with Fifty Shades of Grey.

No need because they made it into an excellent film.
Way ahead of you, I haven't bought it.

Just finished Robin Armstrong's excellent "Split-Cane and Sable". Got a small volume of Matsuo Basho to work through next. £1, talk about a bargain.

I'm guessing there are about 800-1000 on shelves at the moment - probably 95+% read, many on several occasions - and maybe 500-600 in the loft. They've been there for years - it could be more, could be fewer but I'll probably get rid of most when I get them out. I used to have, at a guess, 3000+ books but that was when I used to keep every book I bought. Later on, I got rid of paperbacks then I just kept certain authors. Now the only books I won't countenance getting rid of are the 'collection' - signed books and a few rarities (a couple of James Bond first editions etc); this numbers around 400 or so.

I have a natural proclivity for collecting so have to be more brutal. And I haven't missed the books in the loft so I'm happy to live without them.

Back