• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

How Many Ends of the World Can We Survive?

I think that some people like end-of-the-world scenarios for the same reason that many people like explosions -- it's exciting when everything goes up in a big, noisy, abrupt, and shiny crunchy mess.

Meanwhile. we're all complicit to some extent in a somewhat dawdling but relentless environmental screw up, which is contributing to one of the most massive extinction events in the Earth's history. People just don't have the patience for such things. It's much more entertaining to anticipate the latest big kerflooey!

I think that some people like end-of-the-world scenarios for the same reason that many people like explosions -- it's exciting when everything goes up in a big, noisy, abrupt, and shiny crunchy mess.

Meanwhile. we're all complicit to some extent in a somewhat dawdling but relentless environmental screw up, which is contributing to one of the most massive extinction events in the Earth's history. People just don't have the patience for such things. It's much more entertaining to anticipate the latest big kerflooey!
I've always kind of assumed that the attachment people have to end-of-the-world scenarios comes from the certainty, in their minds at least, in an uncertain world. There's no comforting certainty, if things go on, in what the future will be like. If one believes things will end, the future is a known quantity.

I've always kind of assumed that the attachment people have to end-of-the-world scenarios comes from the certainty, in their minds at least, in an uncertain world. There's no comforting certainty, if things go on, in what the future will be like. If one believes things will end, the future is a known quantity.

Now, imagine their anxiety when the world fails to end at every announced date. Damn... :)

...I happened to get a free accomodation in my friends' flat in Jerusalem. I did not know that I was there just in the "right time", as an American former teacher with hippy long beard told me. He left his family, job, sold all property and came to Jerusalem to await Jesus in 2000. He was living as a beggar in the park just outside of the wall, and there I met him.

Jerusalem Syndrome is a recognised mental derangement.

maximus otter

Jerusalem Syndrome is a recognised mental derangement.

maximus otter

This man had moved to Jerusalem after becoming convinced that Jesus was coming back though. It wasn't an effect of his visit, it was the cause.

Anyway, if Jesus were to come back surely he'd be maintaining his credibility by going the stable/manger/poor family/donkey etc route. We'll have to wait until about 2030 to see if he starts his ministry. I'll be watching for a charismatic homeless Syrian preacher and will certainly go and see him.

We have a large palette of options already.

maximus otter

If he was born in 2000, in Syria, and was displaced by the current turbulence, he'd be turning 17 now and could be anywhere in the world. He might not even be a 'he'. The devil is often depicted as female so why not the Second Coming?

This is cod-theology of course, extrapolating on popular culture rather than Biblical teaching. As a Fortean, I'd be inclined to have a really good look at someone who rolled up at the right time and did miracles.

It's not Derren Brown though, we've seen him and Techy says he's the Antichrist.

Back