• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

How Many Of Us Actually WATCH 'Most Haunted'?

How Many of Our Forteans Actually WATCH "Most Haunted"?

• Weekly

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Quite Often

Votes: 1 4.2%
  • Occasionally

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • Rarely

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • Never

Votes: 16 66.7%

• Total voters
....I still go back on occasions and binge watch the 'Classic' Series 1-7. The Derek years (Series 1-5) are particularly amusing.

Something comforting about re-watching those familiar shows, although you view them through a far more critical lens.

....I still go back on occasions and binge watch the 'Classic' Series 1-7. The Derek years (Series 1-5) are particularly amusing.

Something comforting about re-watching those familiar shows, although you view them through a far more critical lens.

I confess, I do own half a dozen or so of their dvds.

I think I once caught a glimpse of half an episode. I'd never seen it before, but heard so much about it that I thought I'd give it a go.

The first time I heard 'it is said...' I started giving it side eye, and once they started the green light, everyone jumping and pretending that every single noise 'must' be supernatural in origin - I turned it off.

I kind of thought it hilarious when in almost every episode that I watched, Yvette had stones thrown at her. And she screamed and threw hissy fits over sounds that only they could hear.

I just gogled it and there were 23 seasons! Wow I definitely did not see much of it.

I think I once caught a glimpse of half an episode. I'd never seen it before, but heard so much about it that I thought I'd give it a go.

The first time I heard 'it is said...' I started giving it side eye, and once they started the green light, everyone jumping and pretending that every single noise 'must' be supernatural in origin - I turned it off.
I stopped watching it when all I had to look forward to in most episodes was a sound that sounded exactly like someone out of frame tossing a pebble. I seem to remember them always using night vision cameras? (what some people here are calling green 'light') .. not an external light source used to make things look more spooky, that's them walking about in almost complete darkness using the same tech people use for filming badger sets etc at night time for wildlife documentaries and also used for military night missions. I use those cameras sometimes although my own camera doesn't have a night vision option.

I do think Derby's Most Haunted crew are guilty of 'sexing up' their shows though for a few different reasons, partly because they're a cash business, partly because Yvette Fielding started her career as an entertainment style presenter and other reasons already discussed here.

I think the show would benefit in the credibility stakes if it took a more critical approach, got off the fence and decided to be an honest entertainment show instead or an attempt to document (and ditched the spooky atmosphere music) for a start. But the later would see their ratings plummet, let's be honest .. because the truth is, ghost 'hunting' (hunting? how does one shoot a ghost and mount it's head on a wall?) .. we're investigating a place , we're not the Ghostbusters) is boring. It's cold so don't forget to bring a thermos and some chocolate bars but not a bag of crisps because the microphones will pick up the sound of the rustling packet. Hardly anything happens most of the time and when it does, it's a team's job to try to explain something that's made them jump with sensible reasons, not start shrieking. I always equate these investigations to a day out fishing: nothing happens for ages, occasionally your fishing rod might wobble, you get excited for a moment when the rod starts seriously dipping .. then no fish. Was it just the tide or was something nibbling at your bait?. Your mates decides to go home because he hasn't seen a fish being caught and he was expecting to but ran out of patience and got bored. This also describes what's happened with a lot of earlier fans of Most Haunted.

I've just decided that badgers don't exist either because the footage is all in green! ..

Last edited:
Funny, because it's true.
It's more tummy rumblings when we're all trying to be hush. We even now all say "tummy" when it happens because that's so often so that's also recorded on 'tape' .. I did once (so far) fart during an investigation and we were sound recording so you have to own up. It happens.

Back