• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

How Much Does A Full Moon Affect Behaviour?

It appears that both were indeed born when the tide was coming in.
Make of it what you will!
This morning I read the following in Frazer's "Golden Bough":
In Portugal, all along the coast of Wales, and on some parts of the coast of Brittany, a belief is said to prevail that people are born when the tide comes in, and die when it goes out. Dickens attests the existence of the same superstition in England. People can't die, along the coast, said Mr. Pegotty, except when the tide's pretty nigh out. They can't be born, unless it's pretty nigh in, not properly born till flood.
Make of it what you will! ;)

Mulder1800 said:
There's no shame in being a police officer, you guys do a job that is very hard and to me nearly impossible, I have full respect for the police services and always will.

*Blush* Thanks, but as I said, it's something I don't like to talk about when of duty...It's amazing the amount of people who instantly don't like you for doing a certain job!

Anyhows....

I was chatting to some "more experienced" officers today and I recieved grunts of agreement. As far as they were concerned it was old news.

glamour_dust said:
I had a fairly strange experience with the full moon.
My mother always said that exposure to the light of the full moon was bad, that it could give you a stroke and pregnant women should avoid it. Although she claimed to have known a woman who suffered a deforming stroke due to moonlight, I never quite believed her and considered it all "old talk." One full moon night I pulled dark curtains in front my window as usual and went to sleep. I woke up a little after midnight, feeling really sick in a weird way. Sort of nauseous, headachy, sore - a sickness that seemed to originate in my stomach and emanate throughout my body. I lay in bed with my eyes closed wondering why I felt so very strange and wishing I could go back to sleep. Finally I decided to open my eyes, and shining directly into my pupils was the light of the full moon. I could see it glowing brightly through a space where the curtain had shifted away from my window. It's light seemed to beat down on me and somehow I knew that it was making me feel really ill. I lay there for almost five minutes before I was able to move weakly to the window and adjust the curtain to block out the moonlight. As I lay back down I slowly started to feel better until gradually I returned to normal. I didn't even sleep immediately but just lay there wondering how moonlight could seemingly have such an effect on me. I have no idea what happened to me or why but even now I won't allow the moon to shine directly on me as I go to sleep for fear of feeling weird again. I've chalked it up to one of life's mysterious rules that I just have to follow. :?

I've long been interested in this matter of the danger of sleeping in the rays of the moon, which I first encountered in an article in a men's magazine at age 14 (it was in February or March, 1956, to be exact).

One of the cases mentioned in that article, a storywhich I've also come across a couple of times since, was the yarn of a French army patrol which rested overnight, tentless, directly beneath the full moon. Some of the men covered their faces with hankerchiefs, but others slept with the lunar rays striking their heads. In the morning only those soldiers who'd covered their faces were still alive. All the others were dead.

I've never seen any documentation or additional evidence for this one, which may be nothing more than an old French army legend. But is there anyone who can fill in some of the informational gaps here?

EDIT - I just realized that I'd posted this same information here several months ago. Well, now you know, my postings are the work of a senile and forgetful old man. Either that or I STILL want information on this topic.

I don't know if I've noted this before, but a friend who's a nurse in an ER in America thinks that it's indisputably true.

H_James said:
I don't know if I've noted this before, but a friend who's a nurse in an ER in America thinks that it's indisputably true.

As I've noted here previously it tends to be only ivory tower academics who deny that the full moon can affect human behavior. Ward nurses (especially psych nurses), hospital psychiatrists, cops, nite club comedians, cabbies and so forth hold other ideas entirely.

OldTimeRadio said:
H_James said:

As I've noted here previously it tends to be only ivory tower academics who deny that the full moon can affect human behavior. Ward nurses (especially psych nurses), hospital psychiatrists, cops, nite club comedians, cabbies and so forth hold other ideas entirely.

Its a commonly held folk myth, and has probably more to do with the observer noticing the full moon and then paying attention to what is going on in their immediate environment:

Lots of research into a possible connection has been done. The most notable,
http://fampra.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/content/full/17/6/472

Which is a great piece of meta analysis...

And I really like Iosif & Ballon's Bad Moon Rising
http://www.cmaj.ca/cgi/content/full/173/12/1498

Which is a nice bit of research...

A relative of mine, who works with a complaints organisation, cannot be un-convinced of the alleged connection.

sunsplash1 said:
Its a commonly help folk myth, and has probably more to do with the observer noticing the full moon and then paying attention to what is going on in their immediate environment:

A relative of mine, who works with a complaints organisation, cannot be un-convinced of the alleged connection.

Why are those studies necessarily more valid than the "commonly held folk myth", and why unconvince them? Maybe they're right.

sunsplash1 said:
Its a commonly help folk myth, and has probably more to do with the observer noticing the full moon and then paying attention to what is going on in their immediate environment:

Sorry, I can't accept this without impugning the observational skills of psych ward RNs, let alone veteran street cops on the firing line.

If cops only pay attention to their surroundings during times of the full moon we are all in real trouble....and the cops themselves are in WORSE.

Once again, pragmatic knowledge trumps theoretical.

This prediliction to summarily dismiss and then ridicule the eyewitness testimonies of clinical psychiatrists and psychologists, psych nurses, street cops and the like cannot help but remind me that for CENTURIES never-go-near-the-sea oceanic experts denied that "rogue waves" could even possibly exist and assured the world that the thousands of sailors and travellers who claimed that they'd personally encountered such waves were nothing more than big fat liars.

I work for the Ambulance service, and I can guarentee you 100% that full moons have an effect on a certain group of people.

Every full moon we are run off our feet by people having psychiatric episodes, some include overdose's, some include assaults and some are just very strange behaviour.

But trust me, it is no coincidence.

http://news.independent.co.uk/world/science_technology/article2171687.ece

How the Moon rules your life

At last, scientists claim to have found a link between our satellite and human behaviour - like how it governs the size of your dinner By Roger Dobson

Published: 21 January 2007

For eons, folklore has blamed the Moon for everything from lunacy to bad luck. And, for the last few centuries, scientists have scoffed. Now, according to new research they're not so sure. The Moon may not be made of cheese, but it seems to influence a lot more down on Earth than we previously thought.

According to new research, the Moon affects not only the tides of the oceans but also people, producing a range of symptoms from flare-ups of gout to bladder problems. It may even lie behind the causes of car crashes and affect people's hormonal balances.

Having carried out new research and reviewed 50 other studies, scientists suggest that doctors and the police even need to prepare for how their work rate will increase at different points in the lunar cycle. Among the findings examined by the researchers were studies that showed GP consultations go up during a full moon, according to Leeds University. Appointments rise by 3.6 per cent, which works out at around three extra patients for each surgery. The researchers did not speculate on the nature of the moon-related problems or why they happened, but said that "it does not seem to be related to anxiety and depression".

Gout and asthma attacks peak during new and full moons, according to work carried out at the Slovak Institute of Preventive and Clinical Medicine in Bratislava, where attacks over a 22-year period were monitored.

Data from 140,000 births in New York City showed small but systematic variations in births over a period of 29.53 days - the length of the lunar cycle - with peak fertility in the last quarter. "The timing of the fertility peak in the third quarter suggests that the period of decreasing illumination immediately after the full moon may precipitate ovulation.''

A study in Florida of murders and aggravated assaults showed clusters of attacks around the full moon. A second study of three police areas found the incidence of crimes committed on full-moon days was much higher than on all other days. And a four-year study into car accidents found that the lowest number happened during the full-moon day, while the highest number was two days before the full moon. Accidents were more frequent during the waxing than the waning phase.

Another study of some 800 patients with urinary retention admitted to hospital over a period of three years found higher retention during the new moon compared with other phases of the cycle. Interestingly, patients didn't show any other daily, monthly or seasonal rhythms in their retention problems.

Even what we eat and drink is affected by the lunar cycle, according to a study at Georgia State University. Researchers looked at lunar variations in nutrient intakes and the meal patterns of 694 adults. They concluded: "A small but significant lunar rhythm of nutrient intake was observed with an 8 per cent increase in meal size and a 26 per cent decrease in alcohol intake at the time of the full moon relative to the new moon.''

While scientists have been trying to prove for some time that the Moon does exert an effect, what has not been established is why. Scientists have until now examined the theory that the Moon triggers changes through its gravitational pull. But the latest research points to an effect on people's hormones. "The lunar cycle has an impact on human reproduction, in particular fertility, menstruation and birth rate. Other events associated with human behaviour, such as traffic accidents, crimes, and suicides, appeared to be influenced by the lunar cycle,'' said Dr Michael Zimecki of the Polish Academy of Sciences.

"Although the exact mechanism of the Moon's influence on humans and animals awaits further exploration, knowledge of this kind of biorhythm may be helpful in police surveillance and medical practice,'' he said.

The researchers also found links between the lunar cycle and the likelihood of people being admitted to hospital with heart or bladder problems and with diarrhoea. The menstrual cycle, fertility, spontaneous abortions and thyroid disease were also affected. Just how the Moon could have an effect needs further research. Dr Zimecki suggests that it may be the effect of the Moon's gravity on immune systems, hormones and steroids.

He said: "At this stage of investigation, the exact mechanism of the lunar effect on the immune response is hard to explain. The prime candidates to exert regulatory function on the immune response are melatonin and steroids, whose levels are affected by the Moon cycle.

"It is suggested that melatonin and endogenous steroids [which are naturally occurring in humans] may mediate the described cyclic alterations of physiological processes. Electromagnetic radiation and/or the gravitational pull of the Moon may trigger the release of hormones.''

Whatever the root cause of the Moon's influence over us, its hold over the imagination will endure as long as the shining sphere of rock remains in the sky.

This particular debate is going to go on forever, with never quite enough evidence to convince the Skeptics but always more than enough to satisfy the rest of us.

I have always just put it down to the incidince of heightened light levels at night.
The same scientists that dismiss the effect of the Full Moon will accept SAD disorders, Seasonal Affective Disorder where moods are lowered at winter due to the lack of sunlight etc.

I have always assumed it is similar but with a different area of the brain, specifically that the light of a full moon heightens the "Fight or flight" mechanism of the brain affectign behavious somewhat amongst some people.

It would make sense from an evolutionary viewpoint that animals, and us would be programmed to be more jumpy on nights with a full moon when night predators have a much greater advantage than on any other night.

Tuesday, 5 June 2007 - Crackdown on lunar-fuelled crime

Extra police officers are to patrol the streets of Brighton on nights when there is a full moon.

It follows research by the Sussex force which concluded there was a rise in violent incidents when the moon was full - and also on paydays.

Insp Andy Parr said he compared crime statistics for Brighton and Hove with lunar graphs to discover the trend.

Source: BBC News http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/kent/6723911.stm

I like the collation of more violence on full moons...and, uh...paydays.

OldTimeRadio said:
This prediliction to summarily dismiss and then ridicule the eyewitness testimonies of clinical psychiatrists and psychologists, psych nurses, street cops and the like cannot help but remind me that for CENTURIES never-go-near-the-sea oceanic experts denied that "rogue waves" could even possibly exist and assured the world that the thousands of sailors and travellers who claimed that they'd personally encountered such waves were nothing more than big fat liars.
not the same.

OldTimeRadio said:
This particular debate is going to go on forever, with never quite enough evidence to convince the Skeptics but always more than enough to satisfy the rest of us.
exactly.

well said.

Never trust a news report that says "Scientists say..." (there is such a thing as "bad science" and an awful lot of it gets the press coverage) but at the same time never put all your eggs in one basket with an old wives tale.

Pietro_Mercurios said:
A study in Florida of murders and aggravated assaults showed clusters of attacks around the full moon.
Well yeah, better light at night. I'd have thought that was a no-brainer. But it takes scientists to somehow link this to codswallop (well, maybe not just scientists, having read this thread ;) )

Surely better light would discourage illegal acts rather than encourage them? Also, the effects of the moon's luminosity wouldn't neccessarily explain attacks taking place in a nightclub, for example.

ted_bloody_maul said:
Surely better light would discourage illegal acts rather than encourage them?
Well, the side your car door gets busted into is usually the one under a street lamp... so you'd think it would discourage, but evidently not. That's why they say parking under a street light isn't always a great idea. Also, the crimes described fall roughly into the category of 'opportunity'. No better opportunity if you can see what you're doing AND ensure a swift get away because you can loose someone at 100 yards distance, also, they can't really nail you for a description at 10 yards. So yeah... moonlight and opportunity... not the tides driving someone to do it.
ted_bloody_maul said:
Also, the effects of the moon's luminosity wouldn't neccessarily explain attacks taking place in a nightclub, for example.
Well that largely depends on how much you want it to be because of full moons. People look for patterns. Having worked night clubs as a bouncer, the only time things really got messy was generally around pay day... but like I say, people look for patterns.

ghostdog19 said:
Well, the side your car door gets busted into is usually the one under a street lamp... so you'd think it would discourage, but evidently not. That's why they say parking under a street light isn't always a great idea.

Would that not be because we tend not to have street lamps in the middle of roads ? People, likewise, are more likely to be on a street rather than the middle of a road on most occasions, including those such as the ones prior to any attack they might launch.

ghostdog19 said:
Also, the crimes described fall roughly into the category of 'opportunity'. No better opportunity if you can see what you're doing AND ensure a swift get away because you can loose someone at 100 yards distance, also, they can't really nail you for a description at 10 yards. So yeah... moonlight and opportunity... not the tides driving someone to do it.

The crimes mentioned in the report are murder and aggravated assault. They may not neccessarily be crimes of opportunity (particularly if murder here is taken in the legal sense which would disclude a robbery involving lethal but unplanned force being applied). Also, I'd expect streetlights would make the luminosity of the moon redundant (although there's no data as to where these attacks happened). I'd also be interested to know if these statistical increases were maintained even on nights where there is a full moon but significant cloud cover ie most nights in the west coast of Scotland.

ghostdog19 said:
Well that largely depends on how much you want it to be because of full moons. People look for patterns. Having worked night clubs as a bouncer, the only time things really got messy was generally around pay day... but like I say, people look for patterns.

Well that's just one example. There are other crimes, such as domestic violence or disputes between neighbours, which may or may not be included in these statistics. In any case many jobs are paid weekly and many paid at different times of the month, many don't get paid at all. Are there any statistics which cover this period of pay day that show any significant rise in the kind of crimes which may be alluded to?

ted_bloody_maul said:
Are there any statistics which cover this period of pay day that show any significant rise in the kind of crimes which may be alluded to?
The problem with this working model is statistics and coincidence are easily intertwined. It 'happened' to be a full moon. It 'happened' to be waining. You have to look at the frequency of that. I got a tad suspicious of the article when it started to count waxing and waining periods, because basically that widens the days in the month to catch potential circumstance on a greater level. Full moons come around with such frequency, it increases the circumstance considerably to include waxing and waining.

So, no. I find it more 'convenient' to assume it's the moon making us mad or whatever. We have calender systems that govern our daily lives... a lot of us go out on Saturday nights, a lot of us get paid at the end of the month, a lot of variable factors that are already factored in to a calendar system which again increases the circumstance. While we'd need an islamic lunar cycle to actually hit the mark, we're still behaving according to determined units of time. We go to work on Monday, we clock off on Friday, we do this on Saturday and that on Sunday. Suddenly, behavour that breaks that pattern is blamed on the moon, and not only that, has its own pattern? Nah.

Increasing belle curves ahoy! That old witch Ms Moon is feminizing statistics with a vengeance!

Could this be the end of the old bell as we knew it? :shock:

ghostdog19 said:
The problem with this working model is statistics and coincidence are easily intertwined. It 'happened' to be a full moon. It 'happened' to be waining. You have to look at the frequency of that.

True, coincidence and statistics can often be intertwined but any set of statistics which support a case must also include coincidence until any correlation is established.

ghostdog19 said:
I got a tad suspicious of the article when it started to count waxing and waining periods, because basically that widens the days in the month to catch potential circumstance on a greater level. Full moons come around with such frequency, it increases the circumstance considerably to include waxing and waining.

The article doesn't actually make any reference to the waxing and waning periods in relation to the findings of the Florida police, however. If the article is referring to the study in Dade County many years ago then it would include these periods, however. In any case that particular study seems to have been discredited.

ghostdog19 said:
So, no. I find it more 'convenient' to assume it's the moon making us mad or whatever. We have calender systems that govern our daily lives... a lot of us go out on Saturday nights, a lot of us get paid at the end of the month, a lot of variable factors that are already factored in to a calendar system which again increases the circumstance. While we'd need an islamic lunar cycle to actually hit the mark, we're still behaving according to determined units of time.

But a calendar is arbitrary. Whether we measure things by a lunar or solar calendar the moon still has the same phases.

ghostdog19 said:
We go to work on Monday, we clock off on Friday, we do this on Saturday and that on Sunday. Suddenly, behavour that breaks that pattern is blamed on the moon, and not only that, has its own pattern? Nah.

Well, no, behaviour which breaks that pattern and happens to coincide with phases of the moon.

Appolagies if this has been posted before, but I saw this and thought of here. :)

Taken from Yahoo news

Police find 'werewolf' link to violence

A police force is to put more officers on the streets during full moons because they believe the lunar cycle may be linked to violent behaviour, a spokeswoman said Tuesday.

Sussex Police have found that drinkers in the seaside city of Brighton and Hove are particularly aggressive during full moons, despite mixed findings from researchers who have examined the issue previously.

"I compared a graph of full moons and a graph of last year's violent crimes and there is a trend," Inspector Andy Parr told the Brighton Argus newspaper.

"People tend to be more aggressive generally. I would be interested in approaching the universities and seeing if any of their post-graduates would be interested in looking into it further. This could be helpful to us."

The announcement has led some locals to joke that werewolves -- humans who, according to myth, turn into wolf-like creatures during a full moon -- may be loose on the city's streets.

"When there is a full moon out, we look at the sky and say, 'Oh no, all the idiots will be out tonight,'" bouncer Terry Wing told the paper.

"I will start looking at the back of people's hands for hair next time."

Research on a link between the lunar cycle and violent behaviour has tended to be sceptical of any connection.

Earlier this year, Professor Michal Zimecki of the Polish Academy of Sciences reportedly found that a full moon could affect criminal activity.

But in a 1998 article for the Australian and New Zealand Journal of Psychiatry, researchers from the University of Sydney and Manly Hospital in New South Wales found "no significant relationship."

According to folklore, the moon can exert a gravitational pull on humans in the same way as it can move oceans because up to 75 percent of the human body is water.

In separate findings, police also found that violence in pubs and nightclubs increased on paydays.

Werewolves!

Well, that explains it. There's evidently some grain of truth in these findings after all.

;)

Long article, covers animal and human behaviour:

Full moon: Ill met by moonlight
It makes wolves howl, toads frisky and cats crazy. The full moon also gets the blame for all manner of human bad behaviour. But are these just old wives' tales – or is there a rational explanation? By Roger Dobson
Tuesday, 9 November 2010

"I see the bad moon arising/I see trouble on the way/I see earthquakes and lightning/I see bad times today/Don't go around tonight ... There's a bad moon on the rise"
(Creedence Clearwater Revival)

It's said to make owls more chatty, toads more frisky, and dogs and cats more aggressive. When the full moon is up, wolves are also more prone to howling, newts to congregating, and mites to keeping a low profile.

Molluscs, crustaceans, insects, fish, birds, mammals and amphibians are all touched by the full moon, according to researchers. And humans too could be at risk of being moonstruck, with reports of increases in seizures, violence, crime, hospital admissions and GP visits, as well as a rise in accidents and a drop in stock market prices during the full moon. Increases in unintentional poisoning and absenteeism are reported too. Is the moon to blame, or are there down-to-earth reasons?

The lunar effect, also known as the Transylvania effect, has long been a source of fascination. Many people – half of university students and 80 per cent of mental health professionals, according to two studies – believe lunar phases can affect behaviour.

etc...

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style ... 28730.html

Why do the studies mostly revolve around hospitals and arrests? I don't quite get how lunacy = criminal or dangerous behaviour.
I work in a night club & generally try to avoid working on the full moons. I don't find that there's a higher level of violence or accidents. We just find that people are worse drunks around the full moon. It's not always bad, sometimes it's hilarious! It can be very tiring to deal with it though!
For a change this year I worked a few full moons. A couple of them were outstanding - we did have a howler on one occasion, the first te I've witnessed such a thing :lol:
My midwife friend says the labour wards are always busy around the full moon which is interesting if true.

I work at a university, and it might as well always be full moon around here. ;)

Full Moon was at 1727 on Sunday.
But it was followed by strange behaviour which head the Beeb's current news offerings:
Artillery fire on Korean border

South Korea says it has returned fire after North Korea fired around 200 artillery shells onto one of its border islands, reportedly killing one marine.

The South's military was placed on its highest non-wartime alert after the shells landed on Yeonpyeong island.

North Korea has not yet commented on the incident, in which three marines and two civilians were also injured.

Correspondents say this is one of the most serious since the Korean War ended without a peace treaty in 1953.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-11818005
and
Cambodia declares day of mourning for stampede dead

Cambodia has declared Thursday a national day of mourning after at least 345 people were killed in a stampede in the capital Phnom Penh.

Hundreds more were injured when people were crushed on a small island on the final day of the Water Festival.

The stampede took place on a bridge, which eyewitnesses said had become overcrowded.

Prime Minister Hun Sen ordered an investigation into the cause of the disaster.

Hun Sen described the stampede as the "biggest tragedy" to hit Cambodia since the mass killings carried out by the Khmer Rouge regime in the 1970s.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-11817826
Makes you think...

I'd just glanced out of the window to see a third quarter (waning) moon when I came across this story...

Lions 'more likely to eat people after a full moon'
A lion is most likely to eat you just after a full moon, research has shown.
7:30AM BST 21 Jul 2011

Other predators, such as wolves, may also be at their most dangerous when the moon starts to wane.
The discovery, from an African study of 500 lion attacks, could explain the full moon's place in folklore as a harbinger of evil or disaster, and its association with werewolves and vampires.

Scientists studied records of nearly 500 lion attacks on Tanzanian villagers between 1988 and 2009.
In more than two thirds of cases, the victims were killed and eaten. The vast majority of attacks occurred between dusk and 10pm on nights when the moon was waning and providing relatively little light.

Lions hunt most successfully when darkness allows them to surprise their prey, but on bright moonlit nights they might have to go hungry.
The period immediately following a full moon provides a lion with a welcome opportunity to catch up on missed meals.
As the moon wanes, it does not appear until well after dusk, which near the equator occurs early even in summer.
Peak danger times for humans are therefore the active hours after sunset, especially the day after a full moon.

The pattern emerged clearly when the researchers compared attack rates with moon phases. Attacks were a third more frequent during the second half of the cycle, when there was little or no moonlight.

Chief investigator Dr Craig Packer, a lion expert based at the University of Minnesota College of Biological Sciences in the US, said: ''People start out at moderate danger during days 0-4, when the moon is only a sliver and sets shortly after sunset.
''Danger then declines as the moon gets brighter each evening, with very few attacks in the nights just before the full moon. Then, wham, danger spikes as those hungry lions can now operate in darkness for the rest of the lunar cycle.
''The post-full-moon spike is restricted to relatively few hours of full darkness before the largish moon rises later in the evening.''

Lion attacks also increased during the rainy season, when the moon was more likely to be obscured by clouds.

The study, published today in the online journal Public Library of Science ONE, involved checking measurements of lion belly size logged regularly since 1978, and records of lion attacks kept by Tanzanian government authorities.
The researchers wrote: ''These findings provide novel insights into human attitudes towards the moon.''
They pointed out that humans have lived close to large nocturnal carnivores for many thousands of years.

Lions were once the most widely distributed mammal in the world, and jaguars, tigers and leopards have co-existed with people in Asia, Africa and tropical America. Human ancestors painted lifelike pictures of lions on cave walls 36,000 years ago.
''Thus we have always been exposed to risks of predation that cycled with the waxing and waning of the moon,'' said the scientists.
Between sunset and sunrise, humans were most active in the evening and at greatest risk from predators.

The researchers added: ''The darkest hours in the early evening are restricted to the weeks following the full moon, and lions are hungriest immediately after the bright evenings of the second quarter.
''Although we are safest from lion attacks during well-lit nights, the full moon accurately indicates that the risks of lion predation will increase dramatically in the coming days. Thus the full moon is not dangerous in itself but is instead a portent of the darkness to come.''

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstop ... -moon.html

Back