• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

How Much Does A Full Moon Affect Behaviour?

Ahh, I didn't realize it's been the Full Moon this past week, and hubby's been acting a bit crazy! LOL

As ex Fire service I can absolutely and categorically confirm that full moon nights were always busier. And not with the routine incidents, but with absolute loony toons events!
People locked in handcuffs to the bed, people seeing ufos, kids stuck in toilet seats, men stuck in windows trying to break into their OWN houses…
If there was something stupid going to happen…it would happen then.
Ask A+E staff, police, paramedics,recovery drivers, they’ll all tell the same stories.

As ex Fire service I can absolutely and categorically confirm that full moon nights were always busier. And not with the routine incidents, but with absolute loony toons events!
People locked in handcuffs to the bed, people seeing ufos, kids stuck in toilet seats, men stuck in windows trying to break into their OWN houses…
Ask A+E staff, police, paramedics,recovery drivers, they’ll all tell the same stories.
'People locked in handcuffs to the bed'?? I can't stop laughing!!!
And bartenders will tell stories of those who drop their teeth in the toilet (and don't realize it!) - my girlfriend and I were out one night and she had a brand new snap-in bridge in her mouth. Well it was a Friday night and we had quite a few, and she decided she couldn't talk with this new bridge, so she decided to take it out while we were sitting at the bar - she took it out so forcefully that it flew out of her hand across the room, and ended up under the radiator towards the the back of the building. After retrieving it for her, I told her to put it safely in her bag in a tissue. Well, the next day she woke up and realized she had thrown it out in the trash, thinking it was a used tissue. Wasn't even paid for yet, and it was a very expensive bridge.
LOL - yes, it was a Full Moon!

'People locked in handcuffs to the bed'?? I can't stop laughing!!!
And bartenders will tell stories of those who drop their teeth in the toilet (and don't realize it!) - my girlfriend and I were out one night and she had a brand new snap-in bridge in her mouth. Well it was a Friday night and we had quite a few, and she decided she couldn't talk with this new bridge, so she decided to take it out while we were sitting at the bar - she took it out so forcefully that it flew out of her hand across the room, and ended up under the radiator towards the the back of the building. After retrieving it for her, I told her to put it safely in her bag in a tissue. Well, the next day she woke up and realized she had thrown it out in the trash, thinking it was a used tissue. Wasn't even paid for yet, and it was a very expensive bridge.
LOL - yes, it was a Full Moon!
Not the first time I’ve upended our bin to retrieve my wife’s denture wrapped in a tissue. Not a full moon though…she’s just a feckin’ idiot!

We had a bloke living by us who during covid adopted a habit of regularly walking up and down the road. It was such a regular occurence, I’d see him pass as I went to the car and again when I arrived back from shopping. Literally every time. I took to naming him The Shambler and I became increasingly concerned as whenever I looked outside, he was either walking up or walking down the street. It was like a glitch in the matrix.

He was last seen the day before a full moon walking up and down the street but this time frantically gesticulating and arguing with himself.

After the full moon, haven’t seen him since.

The actions of the full moon on us isn't anything to do with tides, but the act of seeing it shining up there could have a psychological effect, couldn't it? You're aware of it beaming down, the night is brighter, and it affects your outlook. Would that be possible? Would it have the same effect on cloudy nights?

Personally, I think we are all very sensitive to lots of things: the bright sunlight affecting us, a gloomy cloudy day, hormonal changes, fear of the dark, the pull of that moon, extreme heat and humidity, and the cold of ice and snow.

Personally, I think we are all very sensitive to lots of things: the bright sunlight affecting us, a gloomy cloudy day, hormonal changes, fear of the dark, the pull of that moon, extreme heat and humidity, and the cold of ice and snow.

There is Seasonal Affective Disorder (handily abbreviated to SAD) which is all about how the seasons affect our minds, so there's no reason I know of why it would not be the case with other environmental factors. Even if it's just being too hot or too cold.

The actions of the full moon on us isn't anything to do with tides, but the act of seeing it shining up there could have a psychological effect, couldn't it? You're aware of it beaming down, the night is brighter, and it affects your outlook. Would that be possible? Would it have the same effect on cloudy nights?
There is also the fact that many specie of fauna and flora, and animal life respond and in some cases depend on Moonshine, and I don't mean the spiritual kind!:beer:

We used to joke about full moons, but l never associated them with an increase in strangeness.

maximus otter

If I may be so bold, I'd like to suggest amending the title of this thread. While many things can, in theory, affect behavior, perhaps it might be better to ask, "How Much Does a Full Moon Affect Behavior?"

WRT the topic at hand, I am unaware of any specific cases of noticeable behavioral effects, but my grandmother used to say that moonlight falling on her face during sleep would give her the most dreadful nightmares. (Of course, given my grandmother's wartime experiences, it's a testament to her mental fortitude that she didn't ALWAYS have dreadful nightmares.)

If I may be so bold, I'd like to suggest amending the title of this thread. While many things can, in theory, affect behavior, perhaps it might be better to ask, "How Much Does a Full Moon Affect Behavior?" ...

Well, OK ... Done ...

If I may be so bold, I'd like to suggest amending the title of this thread. While many things can, in theory, affect behavior, perhaps it might be better to ask, "How Much Does a Full Moon Affect Behavior?"
Well hold on. That’s a leading question. You could also ask why does a Full Moon not affect our behaviour?
Or going further, why does the Half Moon affect the Stock Markets? And so on.

This is the problem with renaming threads.

Last edited:
The same thought crossed my mind - i.e., whether the proposed new title represented a leading question. I finally decided the suggested phrasing needn't be construed as imposing a bias, insofar as it didn't rule out "Not at all" as a valid response.

I can’t remember the original title.

My suggestion is a more succinct & neutral:

Full Moon - Effect on Human Behaviour

I can’t remember the original title.

My suggestion is a more succinct & neutral:

Full Moon - Effect on Human Behaviour

That works too. My main concern is that a simple "yes" or "no" answer probably would fail to capture the complexity of the topic.

Although most authorities on the subject seem to agree that possible effects are usually overstated or misremembered, I'd be very surprised if there were no effect at all...

This thread reminded me that I have a book sitting forgotten on my shelves, Moon Madness by Paul Katzeff, published in 1988. I don't think I've even opened it in decades. I don't remember much about it, but it seemed a solid enough read. I'll have to dig it out and have a flick through.
I dug out the book (my bookmark, in one of the earlier chapters, is a train ticket dated to 1998!). After dusting off the top of the book, I had a flick through, it is actually very interesting, although not an easy read. A few photos to whet your appetites:

20220213_115608.jpg

20220213_115545.jpg

20220213_115553.jpg

20220213_115509.jpg

20220213_115516.jpg

20220213_115522.jpg

20220213_115439.jpg

I dug out the book (my bookmark, in one of the earlier chapters, is a train ticket dated to 1998!). After dusting off the top of the book, I had a flick through, it is actually very interesting, although not an easy read. A few photos to whet your appetites:

View attachment 51985

View attachment 51986

View attachment 51987

View attachment 51988

View attachment 51989

View attachment 51990

View attachment 51991
After your post, I have looked for this book, unsuccessfully. You have a genuine Fortean classic!
Maybe an interlibrary loan.....

Thanks, everyone! I had thought Abebooks came up under Amazon the way halfbooks does (maybe it used to?), but it doesn't . The book is now being ordered. And I never think of getting books on ebay these days, so thanks Ronnie Jersey.

Edit: ordered! I hope it comes in by the next full moon.

Thanks, everyone! I had thought Abebooks came up under Amazon the way halfbooks does (maybe it used to?), but it doesn't . The book is now being ordered. And I never think of getting books on ebay these days, so thanks Ronnie Jersey.

Edit: ordered! I hope it comes in by the next full moon.
Please let us know if you enjoy it, I'm thinking of ordering one myself.
(Ebay seems to have everything that's out-of-print or out of stock on the internet, and it's cheaper too!)

Please let us know if you enjoy it, I'm thinking of ordering one myself.
(Ebay seems to have everything that's out-of-print or out of stock on the internet, and it's cheaper too!)
Will do. these days, I try to get rare books from interlibrary loans, but sometimes this draws a blank as the librarians tend to search when they are not busy, and they are always busy.

Will do. these days, I try to get rare books from interlibrary loans, but sometimes this draws a blank as the librarians tend to search when they are not busy, and they are always busy.
And I can rarely get the books I want from the library at all, they are just not available. I just requested 'Mattie' by E. C. Meyers, Mattie was Wyatt Earp's wife, it's the story of her life. The library just told me the usual, it is not available. So I'll buy my own.

View attachment 51985

View attachment 51986

View attachment 51987

View attachment 51988

View attachment 51989

View attachment 51990

View attachment 51991

I hope the "Male Periods" section explains how you stick a tampon up your todger.

Back