• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

How Old Is The Forum & Who Were The Earliest Members?

Pete Younger

Venerable and Missed
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Does anyone know who was the first member to join the mb, I had a quick look and thought it might be evilsprout, joined 27.7.01.

Looks like I joined on the first day, but Owen Whiteoak (0 posts), Homer (32 posts), Paul (1 post), Markrkingston (3 posts) and Chicken Toast (17 posts) were before me.

From the list , I was the first of the current regulars to join, with Cujo hot on my heels.

Good grief! I joined really near the start. I thought the boards had been going on for ages by that stage...

CRIPES!

Me too 31/07

I'm an oldie too.
Hey! I thought that with age came wisdom - refund!!!

And here I thought this was going to be another thread on the chicken/egg theory.

:D :eek: :eek!!!!: :confused:

Glensheen'sGirl said:
And here I thought this was going to be another thread on the chicken/egg theory.

:D :eek: :eek!!!!: :confused:

They both arrived at the same time.

I seem to have joined on Christmas Eve 2001; how sad is that?!

1 year 3 days. And we've moved about 3 metres east. We bought the house and barn next door to where we were living this time last year. The spooky (actually they're funny) identical twin boys still peep through our kitchen window. Now they've got bikes without stabilizers.

What a year! God, but I hope this next month doesn't bring such shocks. I mean; who knew what was coming this time last year?

I still regret starting that original Bishop Manchester thread. This board didn't get nasty before that. Sorry folks.

Just stuck my head through a velux and saw a shooting star.

Please don't regret the original BM thread, Simon - I learnt a lot from it and have since read and followed up references about the various related aspects. I just wish you could edit and republish it - is that possible?

Heather.

Glensheen'sGirl said:

A chicken and an egg are lying in bed. The chicken is smoking a cigarette with a satisfied smile on its face.

The egg is frowning and looking a bit pissed off.

The egg mutters to no one in particular,
"Well, I guess we answered THAT question!"

The Lecky Mouse said:
A chicken and an egg are lying in bed. The chicken is smoking a cigarette with a satisfied smile on its face.

DAMN that was funny!!! :D
good 'un!

glensheen's gal...i thought it was a chicken/egg debate too!!

I joined on 1 August 2001 - where has the time gone??

Carole

The Lecky Mouse said:

That really was funny. thanks for it.

And it made me realise that after such a disappointing first time is it any wonder then that an egg only gets laid once?

So who is the oldest registered poster still posting?

It'll be one of the 2001 crowd, which could be Stu, Escargot, James Whitehead or Rynner, I think. Any other candidates?

Edit: Scratch Stu - add Mythopoika and GNC as possibles.

Last edited:
I joined August 2nd, 2001. The late lamented Pete Younger, who started this thread, had signed up on 31st July.

There was an FT site, of course, before the Message Board and the magazine had a column of curiosities in one of those .Net or .Com magazines, presumably from the same stable.

All the names so far mentioned and still posting, so far as I know, joined a few days later. It used to be possible to sort the members list in the order of joining but I think quite a few early names were used for test purposes only.

I seem to recall there were a few other real names before mine but I haven't always kept up with name-changes and earlier identities. For a short while, I was a madly prolific poster: the one with a full set of The Unexplained!

I've certainly been long-since overtaken in the post-count department! :D

Last edited:
So who is the oldest registered poster still posting?

It'll be one of the 2001 crowd, which could be Stu, Escargot, James Whitehead or Rynner, I think. Any other candidates?

Edit: Scratch Stu - add Mythopoika and GNC as possibles.

You'd not be too far behind Yith? Timble2 was from the same vintage.

My first incarnation was 2004 so I'm just old not ancient.

2001 - 2003 - ancient
2004 - 2008 - old
2009 - 2010 - middle aged.
2011 - 2014 - whippersnapper
2015 - new spawn.

Always wonder if OldtimeRadio is still in the land of the living...

And the Mighty Emperor. I remember he set up a Fortean Blog called Cabinet of Curiosities that I used to contribute to. Then it ground to a halt, then it vanished. He's a bit like the ghost of the forum, cause there are still plenty of active threads that he originally started.

I joined in August 2004. My first post appears to be me asking whether Reggie Bannister was going to be in Bubba Ho-Tep. He wasn't. There was loads of stuff about aliens back then, but now everyone's got bored of them.

And the Mighty Emperor. I remember he set up a Fortean Blog called Cabinet of Curiosities that I used to contribute to. Then it ground to a halt, then it vanished. He's a bit like the ghost of the forum, cause there are still plenty of active threads that he originally started.

I joined in August 2004. My first post appears to be me asking whether Reggie Bannister was going to be in Bubba Ho-Tep. He wasn't. There was loads of stuff about aliens back then, but now everyone's got bored of them.

I can't remember my first name as it's "anon" now but I have tracked myself back to jan 2004. Can't find anything older.

This is what makes this place so interesting as it has been alive for so long and in internet years its pretty old.

Blackriverfalls/OWB is another ancient poster from 2003.

It is fascinating when a long dead thread gets reaninmated and you see some of the long gone posters still haunting it.

Last edited:
I've been here since 2001. Can't remember the day or month.
I've managed to keep my original name intact despite all the changes over the years.

Edit: Aha, September 18, 2001.

Last edited:
You'd not be too far behind Yith? Timble2 was from the same vintage.

My first incarnation was 2004 so I'm just old not ancient.

2001 - 2003 - ancient
2004 - 2008 - old
2009 - 2010 - middle aged.
2011 - 2014 - whippersnapper
2015 - new spawn.

Always wonder if OldtimeRadio is still in the land of the living...

I like your table. I'm a 2002 creation.

I completely missed Timble, although his current Username Timble2 shows Feb 2003 - was there an earlier one?

I joined as plain rynner on Aug 7, 2001. Over 14 years ago!

I rejoined as rynner2, after some technical malfunction (MB or computer), on Dec 13, 2008.

My very original nick - Skynet (yes, I know) was registered Sep 2001, but there was a glitch around Jan 2002, and that nick vanished (I didn't post much - I had a hopelessly slow PC with dial up AOL. Say no more.) I registered with this one in March 2002 when I got broadband. So yeah, I'm pretty ancient in this incarnation, but was here from fairly much the outset.

Whoa we missed an ancient!

IamSundog Oct 2002!

He remembers when Rynner2 was just young Rynner! Like a young Mick Jagger!

Back