• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

How the Inventions of the 19th Century Brought People Closer to Talking with the Dead

Tribble

Killjoy Boffin
With the harnessing of electricity and the advent of the telegraph, the 19th century was a great time for advancements in communication. Not just between the living, but also between the living and the dead.

In a new video released by New York’s Morbid Anatomy Museum, Brandon Hodge, a curator of spirit communication devices, explains how the social and technological climate of the 1800s led to an increase in Spiritualism in the United States and Europe. Rituals such as séances and table tipping became more popular and instruments—like planchettes and dial plates—were developed and put into use.

http://pictorial.jezebel.com/how-the-inventions-of-the-19th-century-brought-people-c-1738264920

:):)Brilliant.

Last edited:
Love it. Thanks for that. I've always fancied collecting Spirit communication devices but I'm afraid I've got champagne tastes with lemonade pockets.

That's a pretty fascinating video. I won't touch Ouija Boards meself anymore, but seeing the history of spiritualism through the different devices is great.

I keep thinking of Sarah Winchester and her quest to protect herself from the spirits killed by Winchester rifles. (FWIW, I've been in the Blue Room and didn't notice anything peculiar, minus the secret exit.)

Back