• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

How To Be A Star-Nosed Mole?

amarok2005

Ephemeral Spectre
I like to write stories from the POV of animals or animal-like characters (werewolves, etc.). I've been looking for a book published perhaps three years ago that would be a great help in that area -- and otherwise simply sounds interesting. A naturalist studied the sensory organs of many different animals and how they operated and tried to describe to the general public how it would actually feel to experience the world with the electric-field-perception of a shark, the echo-location of a dolphin, the super-olfactory nose of a dog and other animal senses.

Naturally, I've totally forgotten the author's name. The title (I think) had a very silly/weird title or subtitle, something like How to Be a Star-Nosed Mole. I think it was reviewed in the Fortean Times, but I haven't the time to dig through my hundreds of issues to make sure, even if I could corral them all. I've looked on Amazon and Googled all sorts of descriptive phrases, like "book about animal senses" and permutations of the goofy title. Anybody have a clue as to what this book is, or is it only on a shelf in Miskatonic University with "Canon Alberic's Scrapbook" and "The Singular Adventures of the Grice Pattersons on the Island of Uffa?"

Back