• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

How To Really Scare Yourself

A

Anonymous

Ok so wandering down a dark and empty lane/street at night imagining what ghosts and ghoulies are creeping up on you is pretty scary but I have something worse.

This may sound sick, but if you have ever experienced it, it truly is the essence of fear.

OK, so you are alone, the lane is dark, woods/empty houses either side of you. Shadows move with your imagination and you half expect to see something that'll just scare you witless. Nothing happens, the wind howls, the mist rolls in, your mind work's overtime ... this is the perfect setting for a ghost story. But not just any ghost story - YOURS. You imagine how the UL evolves - he was just stumbling home from the pub when out of the mist his hidden attacker emerged. Death in a flash, left to forever try to find your way home. Maybe you are whistling a tune that'll ever haunt people who walk past a certain spot. Maybe your footsteps made that kind of sound that wouldecho for eternity, scaring the lesser believers....

If you've never considered this on those lonely walks, I assure you you will now. Mortality is the basis for all fear ... isn't it?

Let me know if I'm mad.

Sir.

It's so wonderfully pre-historic... how ever many millions of years out of the forest we are, there's still things lurking in the hedgerows wanting to eat us senseless...

:splat:

TBH I don't find me-as-ghost very scary. It appeals to my ego, though. BOO! Forever walking the lonely road between pub and house, desperately, desperately searching for somewhere secluded to have a piss... for all eternity. The chirping of my mobile phone as I blindly ring everybody I've just been drinking with to let them know who I've just decided I really fancy will haunt travellers for generations. All this, after I stumble drunkenly out beneath the wheels of a ridiculously slow-moving vehicle...

Do you really fear death/after death? I've always found the before parts more frightening to contemplate.

Not scared of death. Quite looking forward to finding out what silly bugger has been fooling with my head, and of course what the question is ( we all know the answer is 42). Am a bit worried about the pain thing, but am sure it'll go away eventually. What I most fear is becoming a prize bore and spending my whole life(death) wondering why I'm whistling this bloody annoying song. Still poltergeists seem to have a good craic. Maybe wont be so bad ...

the one idea about death that really really freaks me out is the idea that you get like trapped inside your body. You can't move or scream or do anything at all, because you're dead, but you're still aware. All the way through the autopsy, and the embalming, and then the coffin, and the rotting....

bwah! It makes me shudder. I don't mind dying, I just *really* don't want to be a corpse. I have my exits marked clearly, just in case.

The ability to scare yourself requires uncontrollable fear. Not necessarily of what we perceive to be a scary topic (such as, ooo, ghost stories are scary), as much as it is our own genuine fear of the unknown.

And each of us has our own personal and unique fears about really odd things, that may not be necessarily common to others.

Interesting point here though is actually "fear" itself.

So far no one has really convinced me that fear is anything but our own fear of what we do not understand or what we imagine ourselves, each of us, true or not.

If you feel fearful of a lot of different things, then you either do not truly understand them, or you imagine things that are out oif your control.

You wanna not fear anymore? No fear of anything?

Understanding the unknown removes your fear of it.

Try it for yourself. Once you beat fear, the rest is gravy.

Thanks!!

Some things really are out of your control, even if you've had your negative engrams removed.
Have you really beaten fear?

unicycle said:
Some things really are out of your control, even if you've had your negative engrams removed.
Have you really beaten fear?

==============

Trust me Unicycle, there are more things out of your control than within your control. That is a universal truth.

Knowing that, you also know you have a handle on the things you can control.

Now, one just has to accept we can't control those other things and events, but understanding that, trying to develop rational responses to those things we can't control, will likewise not drive your fear of them. Sounds simple, but it works.

Have I beaten fear?

For those irrational things I could not control, yes, I have beaten fear. You can imagine yourself into quite a panic and it will control your actions, and not very rationally I might add.

Currently my only personal fears are the things I understand I cannot control but I know are possible.

Imagination is a terrible and powerful enemy.

Try not to overwork it too much....lol

later all.....have a good one

Sorry, one other point I forgot to add.

Fear is like fire.

Fire need oxygen, heat, and a fuel to become real. Take one of those three things away and fire can not exist. Scientific fact there folks.

Fear works the same way.

Fear does not exist and is not a true entity. You, me, all of us create it within ourselves.

What we call fear, is the combination of unknown facts or details, our ability to comprehend possible outcomes, and becoming irrationally alarmed of things that haven't even happened yet.

If you can know the truth when you hear it, and a lie as well, then you can control the imaginitive getting out of control as well by the same method.

Listening, and knowing it is right or wrong.

Remove the fuel of nonexistant possibilities, fear cannot live.

But in saying that, I fear I begin to ramble now......lol

Live well, have a good weekend all

I dunno, this weekend I went home to Berkshire (I live in London), got off the train and began to walk to the house.

Now, it's a 10 minute stroll along countrified but residential streets and it was only 5pm -- but it was dark and deserted, and the streetlights were few. And, worst of all, it was literally yards from where one of the recent "trophy" rapes had taken place.

Suddenly it occured to me that perhaps the police had arrested the wrong man... you never saw anyone carying bagsful of Christmas stuff run so fast, believe me.

Ghosts and, to an extent, death, were the furthest things from my mind.

Imagining myself dead/ as ghost isn't scary.

For someone as morbid as me it's not that unusual either. Damn gothness, will I ever be free of it?

I think Evildweeb should come out and admit he was a scriptwriter
for Edward J. Wood. Those lines are crying out for the voice of
Bella Lugosi or Criswell, the psychic with the big hair.

Now I've scared myself. :eek:

James Whitehead said:
I think Evildweeb should come out and admit he was a scriptwriter
for Edward J. Wood. Those lines are crying out for the voice of
Bella Lugosi or Criswell, the psychic with the big hair.

Now I've scared myself. :eek:

We need more Criswell!

look if your scared of death start to carry a cv (resumay u.s. version) on you. so u can get a pt/ft job with her/him

if i knew to put audio on this machince i put would my "evil?/demonic?" laugh on this posting.

and if you dont want to be buried/burnt ect why dont just get stuffed and be put into a living history museum (eg st fagans, museum of welsh life, just west of kaardiff) so you can with animatronics tell visitoers about the history of the exibishsions. if u think im not serious i am!!!!!!!!!!

equall oppotunities for undead/dead. i say.

ps while typing this im listerning to mike oldfields "tubular bells" the first part (you know "the exorist bit)

Ok, so after careful deliberation, this is not the scariest thing in the world, and quite possibly not scary at all (I was very drunk at the time I started this thread) but I will have to wait until I am once again walking down a lonely, misty lane in the dark to test this hypothesis.
And I am not a goth, so do not have the advantage of a macabre personality.:)

One interesting way of getting people to scare themselves is to tell them to record the audio of themselves asleep at night.

Checking out the highlights the next morning can be a really weird experience, especially noises that you can't recognise...

I
One interesting way of getting people to scare themselves is to tell them to record the audio of themselves asleep at night.

Checking out the highlights the next morning can be a really weird experience, especially noises that you can't recognise...

I do this sometimes.... usually when Mr Migs has been complaining about my snoring again. Never yet heard an unexplainable noise, but I live in hope! (And for the record, my snoring is BEASTLY.)

OK, so you are alone, the lane is dark, woods/empty houses either side of you. Shadows move with your imagination and you half expect to see something that'll just scare you witless. Nothing happens, the wind howls, the mist rolls in, your mind work's overtime ... this is the perfect setting for a ghost story. But not just any ghost story - YOURS. You imagine how the UL evolves - he was just stumbling home from the pub when out of the mist his hidden attacker emerged. Death in a flash, left to forever try to find your way home. Maybe you are whistling a tune that'll ever haunt people who walk past a certain spot. Maybe your footsteps made that kind of sound that wouldecho for eternity, scaring the lesser believers....

When I was in my teens I was out walking my dog on a foggy night. My dog was a beagle cross, who loved to strain at the leash, and obedience school training be damned, he enjoyed auto-asphixiation too much to stop. So there he is, full of beans as it is early in the walk, and he is panting and gasping and choking himself. Then as I am trying to calm him down, I step in chewing gum. So I swear a bit, and start dragging my foot along the pavement to get the gum off. Then I head into a parking lot area that only had gravel on the ground, and the dragging foot becomes a bit louder and the dog is gasping and gurgling because he was a bit of a mad bastard. Then through the mist I notice a gaggle of kids have picked up their heels and fled, as all they can hear is "gasp gurgle scrunch pant gasp scrunch" coming towards them. We must have sounded really terrifying, like some deformed serial killer creeping up on them.

Let us pray:
"Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil for I am surely the evilest sonofabitch in the valley."

Many years ago, there was an article I read about being employed in a zoo and mentioned how scary it was, working through the night in complete darkness, with all the inherent animal calls!

Not for myself.... pass on that one...

Years ago, in between jobs, I spent some time doing security patrol on some mills. Big and definitely 'dark Satanic' mills.

So, me and my partner, a big German Shepherd', would walk through the mills. I'd open the doors and he would go in first.

Right from the first night, when I reached one room, at about, I think, 3 AM, the dog would stop outside the door and refuse to go any further. I had to go in first, then he was quite happy to carry on as usual.

The scary thing about this (and I never felt anything odd about the room) is that I knew it was going to happen. And maybe one night there would be 'something' in there.

There never was.

INT21.

When I was in my teens I was out walking my dog on a foggy night ... then through the mist I notice a gaggle of kids have picked up their heels and fled ... we must have sounded really terrifying, like some deformed serial killer creeping up on them.
the kind of thing that could well be nestling somewhere aboard ITHM ...

The description above by AlchoPwn reminded me of something i did years ago..
I was out walking the dog with my dad and his dogs one evening in Tandle Hill country park between Oldham and Rochdale, it was Halloween so was very dark. we were walking through the woods - in and out of the trees on one of the many small trails when we came across a steep hill looking down over one of the main pathways below.
So there we are looking down at a group of people in the darkness lots of torches shining around muffled giggles and chatting etc, when i let out the longest and loudest gutteral laugh - really deep and sinister sounding. well you should have seen the torches then - like search lights looking for enemy bombers, lots of startled people having a bit of fun all now crapping themselves as to what the hell that was or where it came from! i often wondered what the guide/leader thought as he/she wouldnt have known what it was either! lol
May i offer my apologies to you if you were there that night! Sorry

So we can strike another dogging site from the map. Spoilsport :)

Ah yes, 'Steamy windows, there aint no body can see'.
But surely an open tailgate.....Never mind.

INT21.;)

When I was in my teens I was out walking my dog on a foggy night. My dog was a beagle cross, who loved to strain at the leash, and obedience school training be damned, he enjoyed auto-asphixiation too much to stop. So there he is, full of beans as it is early in the walk, and he is panting and gasping and choking himself. Then as I am trying to calm him down, I step in chewing gum. So I swear a bit, and start dragging my foot along the pavement to get the gum off. Then I head into a parking lot area that only had gravel on the ground, and the dragging foot becomes a bit louder and the dog is gasping and gurgling because he was a bit of a mad bastard. Then through the mist I notice a gaggle of kids have picked up their heels and fled, as all they can hear is "gasp gurgle scrunch pant gasp scrunch" coming towards them. We must have sounded really terrifying, like some deformed serial killer creeping up on them.

Let us pray:
"Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil for I am surely the evilest sonofabitch in the valley."
Excellent

I often walk my dog around our village late at night, if I've been on a late shift. My work uniform is black, there are no street lights either, so I have to remember to wear a fluorescent vest in case anyone driving through (on a pub to pub police avoidance mission) sees nothing but a small white dog straining on the lead against....nothing.

You can't be hit by "friendly fire" though if the window is up
Interesting use of the word "friendly".

I often walk my dog around our village late at night, if I've been on a late shift. My work uniform is black, there are no street lights either, so I have to remember to wear a fluorescent vest in case anyone driving through (on a pub to pub police avoidance mission) sees nothing but a small white dog straining on the lead against....nothing.

Paint a white skeleton on the black clothing for improved visibility.

Back