How's The Weather Outside Today?

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Cold but dry and sunny here in the Cheshire Gap. From late on tomorrow the whole country is expecting Storm Ciara which is supposed to be a zinger.

I'm at work all weekend in an industry which is particularly vulnerable to high winds. Looking forward to it!
Well, sitting in t'depot drinking tea and playing cards will be fun.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Oh YUSS. Cholmondeley Castle isn't far away. They have plum trees there, used to take my kids to pick fruit and we'd all eat loads and have explosive diarrhoea. Happy days.
I've just read this again and made myself laugh like a drain. Still haven't recovered from last night's moon-fest.

Gloucestrian

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
I have been making good use of the fine weather to catch up on Winter tasks.

The roses and quince have been pruned, for the first time in a few years because the winters have been mild and they've not gone dormant in recent years and in 2017, when they were last fully dormant, the weather was too inclement for me to be able to get out and prune them. This year they seem more dormant than last year and this stretch of mild sunny weather has been just the perfect weather to get on with the pruning.

Today I have cleaned off an exterior window sill and patched up a hole that has formed from freeze-thaw action. Hopefully the weather will hold out for a few more hours to allow me to paint it. But if not, I am satisfied that I have made good use of my week off.

skinny

TITAN
Reaction score
In Korea, a yellow dust that blows across the yellow sea from China is believed to contain plutonium from nuclear weapon surface tests. Yum.

Tigerhawk

Dazed and confused...
Reaction score
Either raining heavily with strong wind, or just a gentle drizzle. All this for the next week! What fun!

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
Cromer's got hurricane weather predicted for today. It already sounds like the end of times out there and there's a tarpaulin wrapped around a neighbours TV aerial, I'm going to have walk back the Mrs from work at this rate.

CarlosTheDJ

Antediluvian
Reaction score
:rolleyes:

1581255106229.png

(By the way, how do you embed a Tweet here? I've been fiddling around in the Media menu but can't get anything to work. That's a screenshot.)

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
I hear from family that it's all a bit wild back in Blighty.

Sorry to be missing the action!

Schrodinger's Zebra

My joints go out more than I do
Reaction score
We've had plenty of wild-sounding gusts of wind all day but not so much as a bin blown over. No branches off the big trees, nothing.

You'd think with that much wind there'd be something.

It's still quite sunny though, has been most of the day.

Mind you, ZebraPup2 is feeling the brunt. Normally she likes to lie in front of the open fire but not today, she doesn't like the wind howling down the chimney, bless her.

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
Reaction score
I spoke a little prematurely. After a pleasant lull, Ciara - or one of her relatives - stormed back in with thunder, lightning and hail. All over in about ten minutes but I'm glad I wasn't out.

I see the BBC now has weather-warnings of snow and ice through till Wednesday! :dcloud:

Edit: I nipped out to the local convenience-store for a bottle of wine* at six. No wind or rain, temperature mild. :dunno:

*They had a stock of Lidl's 2013 Tarragona at just a pound north of its usual price. Bet they scooped it up as a weekend-special, when it is sometimes as low as £2.99! Never in-stock for long, at that price. Now we know why!

Last edited:

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
Kin ell! .. a member of staff turned up at work today with her husband dithering about if she should work in her small outside building with our customers. It's a separate business to ours but the woman asked the Mrs for some reason what to do ... "If you're worried then don't open, the whole point is for customers to be relaxed and if you're stressed, they will be." .. the Mrs private messaged our co worker about it joking something like "As if a tree's going to fall on it or something?!"

A fuck off big tree (as long as our house) has fallen on it. Good job no one was inside even though the roof's still intact.

The odds of a tree falling somewhere in the large grounds were reasonably high but her predicting which remote building would get hit is impressive.

Last edited:

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
Reaction score
Cue Attenborough:

"They huddle together for warmth, passing their eggs into a special pouch above the males' feet. The males will stay at Euston until their mates return from a hen-night in Crewe. Some may not survive the journey . . . " :worry:

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Just heard the news on the radio - hope everyone's OK in the UK. Thousands without power, evacuations due to floods, widespread damage, and more to come over the next couple of days. Don't know what to suggest, guess we'll have to wait it out.