How's The Weather Outside Today?

CarlosTheDJ

Antediluvian
Impressive waves off the Sussex coast today. The idiot surfer was rescued, but a RNLI boat narrowly avoided a capsize while looking for the prick. There's a couple of videos in this Twitter thread
My sister, her kids and our uncle are stranded in an airport hotel just outside Paris after a jolly weekend at EuroDisney. No flights until tomorrow evening apparently.

Schrodinger's Zebra

My joints go out more than I do
We had a brief power cut yesterday evening, normally in my experience the power just goes off instantly but in this one the telly and light flickered, went dim, came back on, flickered again... and then finally went off.

Only for a few minutes though, luckily.

Lb8535

Very charming snow person
5 degrees f outside, going to -4 and then reasonably promptly back to around 20. And it's an antarctic expanse. Do I win? I've managed in various foxholes throughout my life including 9/11 without much of a twinge but sincere respect arising for the gods of the boiler.

tuco

Spitting in a wishing well
Storm Dennis is just starting here ( south uk ), I like the name of this one because it reminds me of my friend Dennis ( nearly 87 years old ), who in his day could go off like a small hurricane if provoked, I still wouldn't like to upset him now. Will phone him later and ask him to stop tearing up trees and ripping roofs of houses.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Storm Dennis is just starting here ( south uk ), I like the name of this one because it reminds me of my friend Dennis ( nearly 87 years old ), who in his day could go off like a small hurricane if provoked, I still wouldn't like to upset him now. Will phone him later and ask him to stop tearing up trees and ripping roofs of houses.
Was he ever a captain in the army?

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
Dennis has been threatened since midday but the BBC's map shows Manchester sitting in a little oasis, surrounded by more threatening clouds and rain. Overcast with drizzle at the moment. Five hours of high winds to look forward to. That map could change quickly! :oops:

Plenty of food in but I want a bottle of wine. I may have to venture out . . .

Schrodinger's Zebra

Wind is picking up here. Has been raining all day, and the floods on the main road out of the village that were really bad yesterday, had just started to go away this morning but we suspect they'll be back very soon. Snow melt won't help.

I've just checked the barometer; pressure has fallen from 996 since yesterday to 974.

Schrodinger's Zebra

Do you live quite far north? We've not had any snow in these parts it has been far too warm.
Quite-ish far North ;)

We had snow a few days ago, not much but on the high ground out of the village it has hung around at the sides of the road, so it has yet to melt thoroughly.

Schrodinger's Zebra

Not been bad here, oddly we got a text from the Police advising us to beware of strong wind and rain,

The storm looks quite angry on this map.
Looking at the map we are in the stormiest area on earth at the moment.

https://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/surface/level/orthographic=357.37,54.31,1106

I've never heard of the police texting people about storms before... how does that work, then? How do they know who to send them to?

Ooh that's a good map, thanks for that.