How's The Weather Outside Today?

Analogue Boy

Bar 6
Reaction score
Yesterday was not pleasant. I’m stuck in a small room with blazing sunshine outside and the pc was really hot, like having a radiator on. The big fan was just blowing the warm air around. It was difficult to concentrate and it just carried on through a sleepless night. Looks like it’s going to the same today.

Coypu

Um 121 The element of confusion.....298.17
Reaction score
Fantastic thunder storm last night, but no rain.! :D

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Hot, sunny, lovely.

Ladyloafer

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
IT IS ALTOGETHER TOO FUCKING HOT, NOWHERE NEEDS TO BE THIS HOT, EVER.

SOD'S LAW I WILL COME DOWN WITH COVID IN THE NEXT 72 HOURS, GET A FEVER AND ESSENTIALLY BE BOILED ALIVE.

I CAN'T EVEN GO TO A CINEMATOPLEX OR SHOPPING MAUL TO REFRIDGERISE.
What he said. I have relocated from the warehouse at work to my car for lunch under the mistaken belief there might be a breeze. In the time its taken to eat ma sandwich, my previously fridge cold apple has got hot! Not room temp, but hot like its been warmed in the microwave.
Fuck this shit i'm, wait, is that a hose pipe? As i type someone is spraying water. Imma go join in.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
Thunder/lightning.

Bad Bungle

Dingo took my tray bake.
Reaction score
Got off the train this evening and the Police had shut the road off - just one car abandoned in a puddle stretching across two lanes and the bus lane. But still haven't seen any rain myself.

Spudrick68

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Monday night saw the biggest lightning display i think I've ever seen locally. Sheet lightning for about two hours, with rain bouncing off the pavement.

This clip is from Blackpool which is about 20 miles down the coast (for those who don't know).

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Yep, same here... finally got some serious thunder and lightning, very, very frightening... for our cats at least. They were really quite spooked but at least I won't need to water the garden tomorrow. Result!

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Reaction score
Woke in the middle of the night to see the whole room flashing from the lightning outside - but no noise! How can you have lightning without thunder?!

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
Monday night saw the biggest lightning display i think I've ever seen locally. Sheet lightning for about two hours, with rain bouncing off the pavement.

This clip is from Blackpool which is about 20 miles down the coast (for those who don't know).
l love it: US storm chasers drive hundreds of miles in Mad Max-style armoured vehicles; UK version sits in a bus shelter in Blackpool.

maximus otter

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.
Reaction score
Woke in the middle of the night to see the whole room flashing from the lightning outside - but no noise! How can you have lightning without thunder?!
We had that here the other night, the whole sky was flashing away like a 70's disco, some really bright flashes too but no thunder.

Today, I'll have to wait until the fog clears to see what the weather's like :)

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Thunder and lightning last night, most of it in the distance, and a short but impressively heavy downpour. This morning it's cooler but still muggy and we're enjoying a light shower now, leaving the air much cleaner and fresher. I was actually going to go out on the bike to visit a bookshop and maybe watch some cricket in the pub, neither of which I've done in months.

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Reaction score
Proper English summer at last: Some fireworks and a right downpour from a leaden sky; now settled down to light rain with an occasional distant grumble.

- And it’s twenty degrees cooler!

maximus otter

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
91 % humidity in Comer according to the Mrs's phone this morning with forecast of a thunder storm tonight.

Tempest63

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Wifey got drenched...and I mean drenched whilst walking the Labrador this morning.
son in law got caught in the same downpour whilst out on his morning run.
Both posted pictures on the family message board within seconds of each other.

Comfortably Numb

Antediluvian
Reaction score
I hadn't seen the weather forecast for a while - no point really as it's Scotland and it will indubitably be, 'cloudy with outbreaks of rain'.

Nonetheless, earlier this morning installed a 'five day weather forecast' widget.

To my bewildered astonishment, it was so joyful to see, at last, finally and hallelujah, an impending, proper summer break in the weather.

Screenshot_20200814_082939_resize_1.jpg

However, I noticed the date was shown as 1st January.

Within moments, the explanation became quite evident.

The app hadn't inititialised as yet and was exhibiting default settings.

This, was the true picture...

Screenshot_20200814_082906_resize_27.jpg

Although I am a simple soul and don't ask for much, would even one day of summer sunshine not be a reasonable request.

Still, looks like if I get up early early tomorrow....

No. Not falling for that again. Despite the welcome prospect, it will actually turn out to be, 'cloudy with outbreaks of rain'.

It always does...

Never mind, on a cheerier note, can maybe manage a week or two away on holiday.

Just checking the latest COVID-19 travel advice...

OK, there is clearly one safe solution.

Seek online and ye shall find...the very thing!

Could maybe put one in each corner of the living room...

Argos catalogue: Item No. 599/2209

Stillill

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
Pissing down. Got soaked on my postal delivery this morning and loved every second of it. That heatwave was hellish to me.

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Still, at least we're not in Death Valley on Monday, where 53C is expected. Yowza! The hottest I've experienced is 40-42C in Sydney, a dry heat, and mid 30s in Asia with very high humidity. I was okay with that, generally, but I can't imagine what 50C+ is like. The pic is from July, I'm guessing the direct sunlight accounts for the even higher temperature. Baghdad's been pretty warm, too, recently.

https://anglenews.com/death-valley-is-set-to-reach-127f-on-monday-the-hottest-temperature-recorded/

30772364-8625409-A_photo_posted_by_the_Park_Service_in_Death_Valley_showed_their_-a-6_15973587...jpg

oxo66

Junior Acolyte
Reaction score
Still, at least we're not in Death Valley on Monday, where 53C is expected. Yowza! The hottest I've experienced is 40-42C in Sydney, a dry heat, and mid 30s in Asia with very high humidity. I was okay with that, generally, but I can't imagine what 50C+ is like. The pic is from July, I'm guessing the direct sunlight accounts for the even higher temperature. Baghdad's been pretty warm, too, recently.

https://anglenews.com/death-valley-is-set-to-reach-127f-on-monday-the-hottest-temperature-recorded/

View attachment 28887
Errr: 129° Fahrenheit is 54° Celsius.
59°C would be 138° C and an all-time record by a couple of degrees.
(53/54°C is still quite warm, though)

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score

View attachment 28887
Me and my Sister posed for a photo in Death Valley when we were teens, it was so hot the soles of my trainers started to melt a bit on the road. My Dad wisely decided against using the air con in the rental car to limit the chance of us breaking down so we were all baking in that car.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
I visited my Mum over the weekend.
Driving back on the A1 was a type of Hell. Really powerful rain, followed by hailstones and flooded sections of road. Traffic was down to 40mph as I neared home. Very dangerous conditions.
I got soaked in the short walk from car to house.
Inside, I found that there was extensive leaking of the garage roof.
I'll be getting new tyres for the car on Wednesday - looks like I'll need them for the weather ahead.

ramonmercado

CyberPunk
Reaction score
Cloudy all day. Not too warm. Nice weather for a six mile round walk to the cinema (Spree, review to follow).

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Death Valley is living up to the predictions and Furnace Creek is proving an apt name as the mercury hits 54.4C. Higher temperatures have been recorded, including 56.7C in Death Valley in 1913, though at least one scientist questions the legitimacy of that and other, similarly high temperatures. Libya's 1922 temperature of 58C is now also seen as likely to be inaccurate.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...c-possibly-the-hottest-ever-reliably-recorded

oxo66

Junior Acolyte
Reaction score
Death Valley is living up to the predictions and Furnace Creek is proving an apt name as the mercury hits 54.4C. Higher temperatures have been recorded, including 56.7C in Death Valley in 1913, though at least one scientist questions the legitimacy of that and other, similarly high temperatures. Libya's 1922 temperature of 58C is now also seen as likely to be inaccurate.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...c-possibly-the-hottest-ever-reliably-recorded
The figure of 58.0 C (ʽAziziya, Libya, 1922) was struck from the World Metrological Office record in 2012. I think they still support the Furnace Creek record from 1913. But if not, all the highest figures from recent years are claims of 54 C (Furnace Creek, Iran, Kuwait, Pakistan). And 54.4 would be a new undisputed record.