How's The Weather Outside Today?

GingerTabby

Carbon-based life form
Reaction score
Since late last week daytime temperatures have reached the mid-20 degrees Celsius, which is abnormally high for this time of year. I'm not complaining, however. As of tomorrow, temperatures are expected to return to a more seasonal daytime high of eight degrees.

Analogue Boy

Bar 6
Reaction score
As Spike Milligan said, ’You can grab a handful of air and squeeze the sweat out of it.’

Patrick30

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score
Winter has officially arrived in north Alabama. Cold rain yesterday and last night & a cold north wind & temps dropping rapidly today.
Right now at 4;30pm its 35 F(1.666 C) and snowing. Whether it sticks will depend on how long it lasts as the temp continues to drop.
Going down to 25 F(-3.888 C) tonight for the low.

Tigerhawk

Dazed and confused...
Reaction score
Hot, humid and stormy...

brownmane

off kilter
Reaction score
About 6-10 cm of snow - really fluffy, so it looks like twice the amount. Temp just below 0C. Tolerable for about one day. Lol. Winter is my most hated time of year, unless there is very little snow and temps remain higher than -15C.

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.
Reaction score
Reports of Thundersnow coming in. I thought I saw a few flashes earlier, didn't hear any rumbles though.
Police issue 'thundersnow' reassurance after Edinburgh residents report explosions
Published10 minutes ago

Police Scotland has reassured residents in Edinburgh after hundreds of people reported being woken by the sound of explosions.
However, police said that what people were actually hearing was the phenomenon known as "thundersnow".
Two "extraordinarily loud" thunder claps were heard over the capital just before 05:00.
Some residents reported that they thought a bomb had exploded or a building had collapsed.
The sound, which is created when thunder and lightning combine with a heavy snowstorm, also caused dozens of car alarms to go off.
etc
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-55184493

Schrodinger's Zebra

looking for cracks in the pavement.
Reaction score
We woke up to several inches of snow on Friday morning, but no thundersnow here. Later on Friday there were quite bad floods which we discovered when we were driving to the supermarket. A drive which usually takes about 35 minutes took nearer an hour.

We were inching the car carefully through floods that stretched right across the road, leaving it impossible to see where the road ended and the verge started; did we get overtaken by idiots who just barrelled along the road regardless? Yes we did. :rolleyes:

Snow mostly gone now thanks to the rain, just a few pockets left where it was heavily compacted.

Last edited:

catseye

Old lady trouser-smell
Reaction score
The fog is just coming in now in North Yorkshire. I went out with the dog down the lane, by the time I turned round to come back the fog was blocking out any light from the nearest market town, which is three miles to the north of me. No snow here though.

Patrick30

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score
Winter has officially arrived in north Alabama. Cold rain yesterday and last night & a cold north wind & temps dropping rapidly today.
Right now at 4;30pm its 35 F(1.666 C) and snowing. Whether it sticks will depend on how long it lasts as the temp continues to drop.
Going down to 25 F(-3.888 C) tonight for the low.
Well, the flurries went away, so no snow accumulation in Alabama yet. Winter however, is definitely here.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
Reaction score
-12°C and snow last night.

Daughter and I have begun to dare to dream of a white Christmas.

skinny

TIT
Reaction score
-12°C and snow last night.

Daughter and I have begun to dare to dream of a white Christmas.
Twas on this day at 9pm in '99 in Youngdeungpo YBM Sisa ELS that I saw my first proper dumping. There was a dull thump of thunder and 10min later my Canuck roomie beckoned me out of my classroom to look over the snow-covered rooves from the 5th floor. I was mesmerised. I like fresh snow. Hate what it turns into after a week's compacting.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Not liking this heavy rain at all. It's been pelting down for several hours without a break.
Glad the garage roof is holding up (so far).

Cloudbusting

I still dream of Orgonon
Reaction score
Snow up North - as if 2020 couldn't get any stranger... we might have a white Christmas! :omg:

Personally I think Chris Whitty has been doing a snow dance in an attempt to keep us all in our own homes tomorrow.

Last edited:

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.
Reaction score
My nephew just texted me to say there's snow in Aberdeenshire. His 9-month-old retriever is running about the garden going crazy. He's discovered that not only can you play with snow but you can eat it too which makes one happy doggy.

Dinobot

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Warm and humid...:(

Spudrick68

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Brass monkey weather. I walked to the nearby shops this afternoon, walking on the road. I was walking like I had shit my pants. I admire people who can walk on melting ice with surface water in a fluid, confident manner.
04_ Foggy Street 3 Crop1 internet.jpg

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Very cold last night, with a beautiful orangey-red harvest moon, and a heavy frost this morning. And then we had a very brief and light fall of snow! Aww. Happy new year!

catseye

Old lady trouser-smell
Reaction score
Well it's tipping it down in North Yorkshire at present, but this is a huge improvement on the 'frozen solid' we've had for the past few days. I do believe the temperature may be edging above freezing...

charliebrown

Devoted Cultist
Reaction score
The Universities of Bristol, Exeter, and Bath is warning that the 2018 “ Beast from the East “ might be returning.

In the last few days an unexpected rush of of warm air is spreading into the North Pole.

This is splitting the Polar Vortex which will push extreme cold down on the U.S., UK, and Europe.

This is not a given, but a high chance of happening.