How's The Weather Outside Today?

JamesWhitehead

Piffle Prospector
Medium bright at the moment, though rain stopped play earlier. BBC says 98 & 98% chance of rain at 7 & 8 pm, storms later.

Wednesday also looks dismal - so much for my earlier optimism! :glum:

James_H

And I like to roam the land
Just got back to Hong Kong – there's a typhoon blowing, which explains the bumpy extra time in the air before landing an hour and a half late. I was just in time for the last bus to my nearest town. When I got there, all buses had been cancelled and taxis were double price. Absolutely biblical rain. It went straight through my umbrella. The gutters are flooded and the stream outside is running like a white water course.

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
It's a billion degrees here. The heat drops on you like a blanket when you venture outside and the streets are far emptier than usual all afternoon. Every other woman has a parasol and big companies are handing out plastic fans with advertising on all over town.

On a nice air conditioned coach now en route to Cork but it was muggy outside in Dublin.

Can't access youtube though so I'm likely missing some good stuff on the posts here.

Frideswide

Fortea Morgana :) PeteByrdie certificated Princess
Staff member
Bright sun, with frequent occasional showers with big splashy drops :)

skinny

HARD AS NAILS
Been wet wet wet all day. I've been outside under shelter burning fire by the dripping. Tomorrow we're warned of a serious winterslap. Might be snow on our local peak in the next couple of days. Graziers are recommended to have an eye to their stock for the rest of the week. Could get a bit untidy. Can't wait to have at it.

skinny

HARD AS NAILS
Woowee. We've had 15mm of rain in the past two hours. The road is gushing outside my front yard. Lucky we live on a slope looking downhill. It just goes past in a big hurry. Love it.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Torrential rain is washing away beauty spots in Scotland. When should we start worrying about the weather again?

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Cold, it's 4.9 but according to my phone it feels like -5.1, I would agree. Windy at 52 kmh and about to get a whole lot windier if the prediction is correct. It's rained overnight, though sunny & clear at the moment. More rain predicted as is the chance of snow today down to 600m. We're at 680. We'll see. All in all, it's miserable and supposed to stay like this until Monday.

skinny

HARD AS NAILS
You think it's windy where you are, it sounds like an army of ghosts are howling away outside here...
Melbourne lost its jetty and the worst is headed your way, especially you LL. Batten down the hatches and keep away from the gum trees. Take care you mob.

Our town was lashed and a couple of poor truckies died in a head on in thick dust, if you can believe that, pushed by the front. Otherwise we survived intact. Not even a power outage, touch wood.

Still very breezy and cold, but the rain has stopped and, wait ... sunshine. The gods are merciful.

Rain has stopped, overcast but intermittent sunshine. Torrential rain last night and thunderstorm. Lights were flickering but no power cut.

Lord Lucan

Justified & Ancient
Melbourne lost its jetty and the worst is headed your way, especially you LL. Batten down the hatches and keep away from the gum trees. Take care you mob.

Our town was lashed and a couple of poor truckies died in a head on in thick dust, if you can believe that, pushed by the front. Otherwise we survived intact. Not even a power outage, touch wood.

Still very breezy and cold, but the rain has stopped and, wait ... sunshine. The gods are merciful.
This was just issued 40 minutes ago:

Issued at 10:08 pm Friday, 9 August 2019.

VIGOROUS WINDS CONTINUING INTO THE WEEKEND

A complex low pressure system to the south is sending a series of cold fronts sweeping across New South Wales, generating vigorous westerly winds in most areas, particularly eastern parts. The last of these fronts is expected to clear the region early Monday.

Tonight:

DAMAGING WIND GUSTS, exceeding 90 km/h at times, are possible about the Illawarra, higher parts of the South Coast, and eastern parts of the Central Tablelands, Southern Tablelands and Snowy Mountains districts.

During Saturday:

DAMAGING WIND GUSTS, exceeding 90 km/h at times, are likely about the Illawarra, higher parts of the South Coast, and eastern parts of the Central Tablelands, Southern Tablelands and Snowy Mountains districts. In the late morning and afternoon, northern parts of the Hunter, the Northern Tablelands, and higher parts of the Mid North Coast districts may also be affected.

Conditions are expected to ease somewhat during Saturday night, but will remain strong and gusty in many areas through Sunday.

Locations which may be affected include Newcastle, Katoomba, Gosford, Sydney, Wollongong, Nowra and Goulburn.