• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

'Huge' UFO Filmed Over North Carolina’s Lake Norman

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
A video gaining traction on social media is suggesting a “huge” UFO was recently spotted over North Carolina’s Lake Norman, north of Charlotte.

The footage, recorded May 29 by Jason Swing, shows a long slender object hovering for more than two minutes over the man-made lake.

Swing calmly calls the object “a space craft” in his video.

“It had been raining all morning. Rain finally stopped so we went (to) pick up a boat from Lake Norman,” Swing says in a post with the video. “When (I) came around the corner I saw this thing sitting still very close.”

Comments on Swing’s video posted on YouTube have ranged from mockery to support for the UFO theory. Another possibility is that it was a blimp, which would explain the hovering, commenters say. The Goodyear blimp was reportedly in the Charlotte area on May 29, for NASCAR’s Coca Cola 600, according to a Goodyear Blimp tweet.

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/local/article216602815.html

The still shown on the TV studio screen suggests a rudder and a gondola, so I'm going to favour the "blimp" theory.

maximus otter

The blurry image is entirely consistent with Goodyear's Wingfoot One blimp - the one operated out of Florida to cover ops in the (US) southeast. It's actually a semi-rigid airship, rather than the 'softer' blimps Goodyear had used for decades.

https://www.goodyearblimp.com/behind-the-scenes/current-blimps.html

The long dark side streak is consistent with the current airship 'paint job', and I discern a dark spot on its side above the gondola - precisely where the shadow from the side-mounted 'wing' and prop unit should be.

Here is a pic of the Goodyear airship. I would say we have a match.

s3-news-tmp-126745-blimp_26-edit2--2x1--940.jpg

Max will shoot down that blimp now seeing as it's ruined his thread.

I was walking the dog through the park about 20 years ago when I looked up to see the/a Goodyear blimp flying overhead. And neither before nor since have I ever heard any explanation as to why it was there.

When I still lived with my parents (back in the 80s), a Goodyear blimp nearly collided with the trees at the bottom of our garden. It had been there for the Ascot races and the day had become stormy. The high winds brought it our way and it was flying very low, buffeted by the turbulence. It took ages to move away. All we could do was watch, helplessly.

I rather liked the submarine idea, myself, but I'm weird.

Back