• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Human Population Growth & Overpopulation

Officially the human population has passed the 8 billion mark today.
Ironically this was in the middle of the COP 27, when a lot of virtue signalling is going on, but gross overpopulation doesn't even appear to be on the agenda.

https://www.worldometers.info/world-population/
I do find it mysterious that this problem is never directly addressed. It's as if they prefer to dance around the issue, probably because everybody is afraid of being labelled 'Adolf Hitler 2.0' - or something like that.

I do find it mysterious that this problem is never directly addressed. It's as if they prefer to dance around the issue, probably because everybody is afraid of being labelled 'Adolf Hitler 2.0' - or something like that.
Exactly.
The Guardian in particular does censor any comments about unsustainable human population.
Humanity's effect on climate/ecology is the order of the day, but the main cause and biggest elephant in the room, must never be mentioned.

Yep. (I disagree with you.)

The problem with the projections, in my view, is that by the time the population stabilizes, the environment will be badly damaged. Species lost. They do not deal with these two aspects which are important to me. Perhaps the species can be recreated through science. Perhaps the environmental damage can be mitigated through science. These projections do not deal with all the aspects of the situation.

Your ridiculing "something something wah wah wah" the objections of the situation by focusing on the ignorant idiots is disappointing.

I would be very interested to read your opinions and projections about these larger contextual topics: environment and species. Coal, I vaguely wonder to what extent your opinions are shaped by your living on an island whose land has almost entirely been converted to human food production, has a much higher population density than the country where I live, and in a country which is not food-independent.

My objections with the scenario you present:
1. They are projections, meaning that these are estimates. Very good estimates, but if they underestimate the time of population stabilization, and have not estimated the different contributing variables closely, then they do not hold up. Time will tell.

2. These projections do not take into account the environmental damage which terraforming the entire planet - a slight exaggeration for dramatic effect - for human food production will do.

3. These projections do not take into account the species lost while the human population stabilizes.

I love nature and the wilderness. I want to see it preserved and flourish. It has shrunk in size and degraded much in my lifetime.

But:

We can grow enough food for the projected maximum population, especially with advances in GM and plant cultivation - and terraforming the planet is not going to be required to do this.

We can generate ample non-fossil, nuclear, power to keep the whole planet going for centuries.

Why not focus on that? You know, the solutions? The upside? The gradually reducing poverty and increasing education standards? The declining death toll to disease, hunger and 'climate' disasters?

I don't doubt that some part of the environment will be given over to keep the human race alive. I'll prioritise people, if that's OK with you.

Lastly, I read your post as "something something wah wah wah".

:hoff:

But:

We can grow enough food for the projected maximum population, especially with advances in GM and plant cultivation - and terraforming the planet is not going to be required to do this.

We can generate ample non-fossil, nuclear, power to keep the whole planet going for centuries.

Why not focus on that? You know, the solutions? The upside? The gradually reducing poverty and increasing education standards? The declining death toll to disease, hunger and 'climate' disasters?

I don't doubt that some part of the environment will be given over to keep the human race alive. I'll prioritise people, if that's OK with you.

Lastly, I read your post as "something something wah wah wah".

:hoff:
Well maybe... if and it’s a big if - we have a major change in Human attitudes- that is away from the Hunter gatherer approach , where we could generally hit a resource hard, trash a place , then move off and come back later when it was replenished/ rejuvenated and if we move away to a good degree from the militaristic tribalism...eg for example we could have been gathering solar energy from mirrors in orbit years ago - but the idea of putting a Countries energy eggs into one basket was soon scuppered as militarily vulnerable...

Yes there are plenty of potential upsides...the Human race is capable of, and has achieved amazing advances and your scenarios are laudable... and achievable, but begs the question why we haven’t done so much better?
We could have done all this years ago, and we still haven’t...and I think it’s that we aren’t mature enough in attitude as a species, we need more time, really, and to be frank what we should do is being outstripped by the rate of resource degradation of the planet, which is going to hamper or possibly stop what we are then technologically able to do to reach your goals.
That’s why unfortunately ( to some) we need to have at least one more World to trash; and the least worst option is Mars- and Elon Musk, love or loathe Him, is doing the “right” thing in planning and hopefully getting to establishing enough of an independent population there to ensure that Humanity (at a technological level) endures...

People that live in big cities are usually the ones that complain about 'over-population' but they have a skewed reference point based on their observations of their immediate vicinity.
There are places in the UK where I can drive for miles and miles and not see a building or another person even. And I'm not talking only about the vast areas of farmland and (eg) 'The Fens', I'm also including places like The Lake District, The Peak District, The New Forest, Exmoor, Dartmoor, I could go on.
And those people that live in the big cities have little understanding of scale either.
But here's the problem - we cannot drive to the next block without hitting traffic, those going through 'stop' signs, others backing out of their driveways, cars double parked in the middle of the road, trucks parked in the middle of the road, and then the traffic jams where you sit through the traffic light changing ten times or more before you can move.
The congestion is horrendous, we don't live in New York City, but the traffic is the same.
If we want to drive down to the Jersey shore, we have to leave at 6:00 a.m., and come back early in the afternoon. If not, we hit bumper to bumper traffic, sometimes for miles.
And if there's an accident - be prepared to wait for hours.
I see the change in the last ten years or so.

But here's the problem - we cannot drive to the next block without hitting traffic, those going through 'stop' signs, others backing out of their driveways, cars double parked in the middle of the road, trucks parked in the middle of the road, and then the traffic jams where you sit through the traffic light changing ten times or more before you can move.
The congestion is horrendous, we don't live in New York City, but the traffic is the same.
If we want to drive down to the Jersey shore, we have to leave at 6:00 a.m., and come back early in the afternoon. If not, we hit bumper to bumper traffic, sometimes for miles.
And if there's an accident - be prepared to wait for hours.
I see the change in the last ten years or so.

As an aside, it’s good to see you back & posting again, Ronnie. You were missed.

maximus otter

The congestion is horrendous
As Max said, good to have you back Ronnie.

I have lived in much busier areas, and worked various driving jobs that entailed lots of travel through central London.
Life in big cities does indeed have it's upsides, with the nearby availability of 'stuff' like shops and nightlife, but as you say, the congestion is horrendous.
If everything else was fantastic but the traffic was still as bad, that alone is a good enough reason for me to just avoid the area altogether.
Where I live now in Welwyn Garden City (look it up) is an ideal distance from London, placed just to the north, outside of the M25 'orbital' motorway, that now seems to form the boundary encircling London.
If I drive onto the main 'dual carriageway' A1(m) road that runs near here and go south, the levels of urbanisation increase continually, and once I reach the area of Mill Hill, where the A1 joins the A41, that is the point at which I stop seeing any greenery really. From there on in it is all buildings.
If I go north 'up' the A1(m) from here it's basically all fields for miles and miles, occasionally passing through some small areas containing some buildings.

You're right, but I'd be careful about spreading the highly controversial views of this Canadian guy.
Too many people is the problem. I doubt if it will ever be too few people.
I'm not sure who you are referring to. There are several people's views mentioned in the article. And I posted because it has relevance to the thread's topic.

I believe that humans have trashed much of the earth. I have always viewed population growth as a big problem with sustaining a liveable earth.

As mentioned in the article, most people can see the numbers declining, if only in their family histories.

I grew up in a family with 5 kids. I had several friends and cousins who had four other siblings. My paternal grandmother had 10 siblings and my paternal grandfather had four. Both of these grandparents were born 1890's.

My paternal grandparents had 21 grandkids. Now, of the five of us, two of us have chosen to have no kids, so my mom has 10 grandkids from 5 kids.

Conservatively if one third of the 8 billion people of the world are having sex every day which equals to around 2.6 billion people daily are sexually actively, it seems we are doomed.

But no, the UN claims the population will slow, not reaching 9 billion until 2037 and maybe 10 billion by 2058.

Hunger, war, disease, and old age will take its toll on the world population.

Well it certainly cannot keep going, mother nature takes care of things in its own way.
Yes, very true. We see that taking place in nature - too many of this or that and it usually ends up in some sort of collapse of the specie. We're all so good at sorting out the animals and insects when they start overpopulating themselves, or underpopulations that we then start turning our attention to increasing them!
But when it comes to us - it's a case of plough-on-regardless fully knowledgeable that the consequences will eventually catch us up at some point in future. We're so good at regulating everything. . . except ourselves!

TBF it's not terribly difficult to work out. When the amount of people exceeds the amount of food available to keep that number alive, people will start dying.

According to The Human Reproductive Agency in India, the men in our world are not healthy.

Sperm count through out the world has dropped.

The answer is very complicated pointing to the use of illicit drugs, prescribed prescription drugs, over use of alcohol, infections, and environmental toxins.

Maybe the earth’s population will slow on its own !

Western countries particular Italy and Japan, the birth rate is pitiful.

South Korea has sounded the alarm, their birth rate fell to 0.79 which means the population will disappear in the future.

The government has spent 2 billion dollars opening clinics to get people interested in sex again to have babies with money incentives.

The South Korean culture is a real killer, single parents looked down on, business look down on pregnancy, and business keeping people from going home to their families with “ go-go business “ employees parties after working the day.

South Korean women do not want babies.
People still want to have sex, they just don't want to be trapped for at least 18 years.

Exactly.
The Guardian in particular does censor any comments about unsustainable human population.
Humanity's effect on climate/ecology is the order of the day, but the main cause and biggest elephant in the room, must never be mentioned.
Agreed, have learnt from experience that the Guardian doesn't like any comments about overpopulation. The result is that you have George Monbiot publishing articles condemning the impact of livestock grazing out in the fields (i.e. grass fed beef and lamb). He goes into great detail about the detrimental impact the animals have on the ecosystem from their urine and manure etc. Yes, George, I'm sure they do have some adverse impact (although not if you are a dung beetle) but nothing like the impact of yet another new housing estate, industrial estate or bypass being built across the fields to cope with our ever increasing population...

Agreed, have learnt from experience that the Guardian doesn't like any comments about overpopulation. The result is that you have George Monbiot publishing articles condemning the impact of livestock grazing out in the fields (i.e. grass fed beef and lamb). He goes into great detail about the detrimental impact the animals have on the ecosystem from their urine and manure etc. Yes, George, I'm sure they do have some adverse impact (although not if you are a dung beetle) but nothing like the impact of yet another new housing estate, industrial estate or bypass being built across the fields to cope with our ever increasing population...
And why is there livestock grazing? Oh, right, to feed humans!

As the population in Europe and the orient go into decline, population growth will explode in countries like India, Brazil, and Nigeria.

It is predicted India will surpass China in population.

The UN predicted that the earth’s population will stop around 10 billion.

As the population in Europe and the orient go into decline, population growth will explode in countries like India, Brazil, and Nigeria.

It is predicted India will surpass China in population.

The UN predicted that the earth’s population will stop around 10 billion.
I wonder why they think it will level off at around 10 billion?

The more money people make, the less likely they have children.

The more poorer people are, the more likely they will have children.

The UN assumes this and also war, disease, starving, natural disasters that will kept the planet population at 10 billion.

Nature takes care of itself.

The more money people make, the less likely they have children.

The more poorer people are, the more likely they will have children.

The UN assumes this and also war, disease, starving, natural disasters that will kept the planet population at 10 billion.

Nature takes care of itself.
But as people become wealthier - and China has moved from a feudal, peasant society to a semi-capitalist one in just a couple of generations, the people don't want to continue living a low-carbon sustainable lifestyle. They want huge-screen TVs, high-status SUVs and to go flying around the world on holiday.

I have lived in much busier areas, and worked various driving jobs that entailed lots of travel through central London.
Life in big cities does indeed have it's upsides, with the nearby availability of 'stuff' like shops and nightlife, but as you say, the congestion is horrendous.
If everything else was fantastic but the traffic was still as bad, that alone is a good enough reason for me to just avoid the area altogether.
Where I live now in Welwyn Garden City (look it up) is an ideal distance from London, placed just to the north, outside of the M25 'orbital' motorway, that now seems to form the boundary encircling London.
If I drive onto the main 'dual carriageway' A1(m) road that runs near here and go south, the levels of urbanisation increase continually, and once I reach the area of Mill Hill, where the A1 joins the A41, that is the point at which I stop seeing any greenery really. From there on in it is all buildings.
If I go north 'up' the A1(m) from here it's basically all fields for miles and miles, occasionally passing through some small areas containing some buildings.
I looked up 'Welwyn Garden City' here, in 360 degree display:

https://www.bing.com/travel/place-i...moduletype=pano&form=DES360&entrypoint=DES360

Stunningly beautiful. I absolutely love to walk, and you British may not realize how lucky you are, miles of countryside and greenery to walk in. Every time I went to England I noticed this. I'm sure we have areas in the United States just as open and full of greenery, but the British seem to have preserved much more of it. For instance, you have garden apartment complexes, but miles of fields behind them.
I think it is much better mentally to have open spaces and clean air to breathe!

Back