• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Human Population Growth & Overpopulation

here, in 360 degree display:
The link you give - it takes you to a view of 'Parkway' in the centre of town.
From the 'White Bridge' just to the north of here, down to the roundabout at the junction with Stanborough Road, is 1 mile long.
It is one of the oldest parts of the original 'New Town' when it started building in the 1920s.
The originator of the plan for the town was a chap called Ebeneezer Howard who planned to have a town of abstinence which offered everything that a family would need of their surroundings (except booze) so it had shops, schools, churches and plenty of green open spaces - all this before the idea of a 'green belt' had come about.
Unfortunately the local council veered away from this plan when, in the 1950s, the urban sprawl required to house people after WWII became the dominant factor for town planning, and what had been a nicely compact town suddenly got added to with large 'estates' (residential housing developments for local authorities). They did at least have the sense, though, to include plenty of areas of parkland.

The link you give - it takes you to a view of 'Parkway' in the centre of town.
From the 'White Bridge' just to the north of here, down to the roundabout at the junction with Stanborough Road, is 1 mile long.
It is one of the oldest parts of the original 'New Town' when it started building in the 1920s.
The originator of the plan for the town was a chap called Ebeneezer Howard who planned to have a town of abstinence which offered everything that a family would need of their surroundings (except booze) so it had shops, schools, churches and plenty of green open spaces - all this before the idea of a 'green belt' had come about.
Unfortunately the local council veered away from this plan when, in the 1950s, the urban sprawl required to house people after WWII became the dominant factor for town planning, and what had been a nicely compact town suddenly got added to with large 'estates' (residential housing developments for local authorities). They did at least have the sense, though, to include plenty of areas of parkland.
I see that Upper Riding in Beaconsfield, where we lived when I was very young, was a garden apartment complex area, but it still is surrounded by miles and miles of open fields.

I looked up 'Welwyn Garden City' here, in 360 degree display:

https://www.bing.com/travel/place-i...moduletype=pano&form=DES360&entrypoint=DES360

Stunningly beautiful. I absolutely love to walk, and you British may not realize how lucky you are, miles of countryside and greenery to walk in. Every time I went to England I noticed this. I'm sure we have areas in the United States just as open and full of greenery, but the British seem to have preserved much more of it. For instance, you have garden apartment complexes, but miles of fields behind them.
I think it is much better mentally to have open spaces and clean air to breathe!
Used to live there. Met my first wife there. But it is a little odd - it does (or did then) feel very like a kind of transplant into the middle of a countryside that would prefer to ignore its existence.

It was all over the news this morning that China’s population decline for the first time in a long time.

Chinese women claim that Chinese businesses are against pregnant women, so a lot of Chinese women do not want children.

Chinese are experiencing the same world inflation, so a child is a big expense.

As a side note 60,000 Chinese dying daily from covid.

IIRC that report also included some information that the population of China after being held to a 'one child' policy for some years realised that they had created an aging population, and so moved to a 'two children' policy, but there being a preference for males over females there was a thriving business (wrong words but you understand my thrust) in abortions, so now there are significantly fewer women/girls than men/boys. (This phenomenon is sometimes referred to as the 'missing women' or 'missing girls' of China).
Which of course will lead to a lower birth rate in future.

IIRC that report also included some information that the population of China after being held to a 'one child' policy for some years realised that they had created an aging population, and so moved to a 'two children' policy, but there being a preference for males over females there was a thriving business (wrong words but you understand my thrust) in abortions, so now there are significantly fewer women/girls than men/boys. (This phenomenon is sometimes referred to as the 'missing women' or 'missing girls' of China).
Which of course will lead to a lower birth rate in future.

China's population falls for first time since 1961

China's population has fallen for the first time in 60 years, with the national birth rate hitting a record low - 6.77 births per 1,000 people.

The population in 2022 - 1.4118 billion - fell by 850,000 from 2021.

China's birth rate has been declining for years, prompting a slew of policies to try to slow the trend.

But seven years after scrapping the one-child policy, it has entered what one official described as an "era of negative population growth".

The birth rate in 2022 was also down from 7.52 in 2021, according to China's National Bureau of Statistics, which released the figures on Tuesday.

In comparison, in 2021, the United States recorded 11.06 births per 1,000 people, and the United Kingdom, 10.08 births.
The birth rate for the same year in India, which is poised to overtake China as the world's most populous country, was 16.42.

Deaths also outnumbered births for the first time last year in China. The country logged its highest death rate since 1976 - 7.37 deaths per 1,000 people, up from 7.18 the previous year.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-64300190

maximus otter

Japan is approaching a crisis as in 2022 less than 800,000 babies were born compared to 1.53 million people dying in that same year.

Japan has fallen below 1.3 meaning that Japan is not replacing themselves.

One reason beside bad attitude towards pregnant women in the work place and Japan is one of the most expensive country to raise a child.

Last edited:
Japan is approaching a crisis as in 2022 less than 800,000 babies were born compared to 1.53 million people dying in that same year.

Japan has fallen below 1.3 meaning that Japan is not replacing themselves.

One reason beside bad attitude towards pregnant women in the work place and Japan is one of the most expensive country to raise a child.
I personally think that a falling human birth rate is wonderful for the human species and the rest of the world, although difficult and problematic for any specific nation or group who experience it.

I personally think that a falling human birth rate is wonderful for the human species and the rest of the world, although difficult and problematic for any specific nation or group who experience it.
"Why should you care about population decline? Fewer people are good for the climate, but the economic consequences are severe. In the 1960s, there were six people of working age for every retired person. Today, the ratio is three-to-one. By 2035, it will be two-to-one.
Some say we must learn to curb our obsession with growth, to become less consumer-obsessed, to learn to manage with a smaller population. That sounds very attractive. But who will buy the stuff you sell? Who will pay for your healthcare and pension when you get old?
Because soon, humanity will be a lot smaller and older than it is today."

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2021/06/birthrates-declining-globally-why-matters/

Personally I feel the sooner we become a small population of hunter gatherers the better if our biodiversity is to survive the relentless onslaught from humans, however please could this be after I have gone as I quite like my tv and healthcare...

"Why should you care about population decline? Fewer people are good for the climate, but the economic consequences are severe. In the 1960s, there were six people of working age for every retired person. Today, the ratio is three-to-one. By 2035, it will be two-to-one.
Some say we must learn to curb our obsession with growth, to become less consumer-obsessed, to learn to manage with a smaller population. That sounds very attractive. But who will buy the stuff you sell? Who will pay for your healthcare and pension when you get old?

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2021/06/birthrates-declining-globally-why-matters/

Personally I feel the sooner we become a small population of hunter gatherers the better if our biodiversity is to survive the relentless onslaught from humans, however please could this be after I have gone as I quite like my tv and healthcare...
But in the 1960s people weren't living as long as today and therefore didn't cause as much of a strain on the system. The fact that people are living ever longer is a major cause of the problem.

As for tv (rubbish) and healthcare (f****d).

In any case @Endlessly Amazed did say 'although difficult and problematic for any specific nation or group who experience it'.

South Korea another country with almost no population growth and having a severe supply of workers tried to raise the standard work week from 52 hours ( 40 hours plus allowed 12 hours overtime ) to 69 hours standard.

This law was voted down and not passed.

It is not uncommon in South Korea to die from overworking.

I suppose the ideal situation would be if each country had - and tried to keep a balanced population?

I read an article that in simple terms said every second 2 people die and 4 people are born.

The theory is that war and famine will keep the earth’s population below 10 billion.

Who knows ?

The unspoken crisis in China.

As the birth rate plunges and the population grows older, Chinese President Xi Jinping in a speech asks the women in China to start having babies.

However, the perceived feeling is that the Chinese woman doesn’t want any part of being pregnant coupled by the fact that pregnant women are harassed in the work place.

The unspoken crisis in China.

As the birth rate plunges and the population grows older, Chinese President Xi Jinping in a speech asks the women in China to start having babies.

However, the perceived feeling is that the Chinese woman doesn’t want any part of being pregnant coupled by the fact that pregnant women are harassed in the work place.
The "One Child" policy didn't help with population stability. More boy babies born and/or kept.

Women are not well treated in China. Not sure how making women have more babies improves anything.

My suspicion is that all societies age. As healthcare and living conditions improve, people live longer. All of our first world countries are experiencing this and the contingent problems.

I don’t know if it is true but because so many girl babies were killed in China, Chinese men resort to mail ordered brides.

What's always baffled me when talking about population/overpopulation is that it's all an average, isn't it?
I mean, any country has high density and low density population centers. One place of high density might be called over-populated, yet the rest of the region might be deserted.
So, if the world is overpopulated then do we see desert regions or dense forests and jungles shrinking - not because of industry but from settlement or overspill?

It has been reported that 1 out of every 10 British pick up and move to Australia, New Zealand, U.S., Spain, and Canada, and other countries.

True, density is changing all the time.

Back