• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Human Psychology

PeteByrdie

Privateer in the service of Princess Frideswide
I can't find a thread about general psychology, so I hope I haven't faux pas-ed, at least not to the extent I just have in relation to the French language.

Conservatives and liberals are different at a basic level.

Scientists Are Beginning to Figure Out Why Conservatives Are…Conservative

You could be forgiven for not having browsed yet through the latest issue of the journal Behavioral and Brain Sciences. If you care about politics, though, you'll find a punchline therein that is pretty extraordinary.

Behavioral and Brain Sciences employs a rather unique practice called "Open Peer Commentary": An article of major significance is published, a large number of fellow scholars comment on it, and then the original author responds to all of them. The approach has many virtues, one of which being that it lets you see where a community of scholars and thinkers stand with respect to a controversial or provocative scientific idea. And in the latest issue of the journal, this process reveals the following conclusion: A large body of political scientists and political psychologists now concur that liberals and conservatives disagree about politics in part because they are different people at the level of personality, psychology, and even traits like physiology and genetics.

That's a big deal. It challenges everything that we thought we knew about politics—upending the idea that we get our beliefs solely from our upbringing, from our friends and families, from our personal economic interests, and calling into question the notion that in politics, we can really change (most of us, anyway).

The occasion of this revelation is a paper by John Hibbing of the University of Nebraska and his colleagues, arguing that political conservatives have a "negativity bias," meaning that they are physiologically more attuned to negative (threatening, disgusting) stimuli in their environments. (The paper can be read for free here.) In the process, Hibbing et al. marshal a large body of evidence, including their own experiments using eye trackers and other devices to measure the involuntary responses of political partisans to different types of images. One finding? That conservatives respond much more rapidly to threatening and aversive stimuli (for instance, images of "a very large spider on the face of a frightened person, a dazed individual with a bloody face, and an open wound with maggots in it," as one of their papers put it).

In other words, the conservative ideology, and especially one of its major facets—centered on a strong military, tough law enforcement, resistance to immigration, widespread availability of guns—would seem well tailored for an underlying, threat-oriented biology.

The authors go on to speculate that this ultimately reflects an evolutionary imperative. "One possibility," they write, "is that a strong negativity bias was extremely useful in the Pleistocene," when it would have been super-helpful in preventing you from getting killed. (The Pleistocene epoch lasted from roughly 2.5 million years ago until 12,000 years ago.) We had John Hibbing on the Inquiring Minds podcast earlier this year, and he discussed these ideas in depth;

Hibbing and his colleagues make an intriguing argument in their latest paper, but what's truly fascinating is what happened next. Twenty-six different scholars or groups of scholars then got an opportunity to tee off on the paper, firing off a variety of responses. But as Hibbing and colleagues note in their final reply, out of those responses, "22 or 23 accept the general idea" of a conservative negativity bias, and simply add commentary to aid in the process of "modifying it, expanding on it, specifying where it does and does not work," and so on. Only about three scholars or groups of scholars seem to reject the idea entirely.

That's pretty extraordinary, when you think about it. After all, one of the teams of commenters includes New York University social psychologist John Jost, who drew considerable political ire in 2003 when he and his colleagues published a synthesis of existing psychological studies on ideology, suggesting that conservatives are characterized by traits such as a need for certainty and an intolerance of ambiguity. Now, writing in Behavioral and Brain Sciences in response to Hibbing roughly a decade later, Jost and fellow scholars note that

There is by now evidence from a variety of laboratories around the world using a variety of methodological techniques leading to the virtually inescapable conclusion that the cognitive-motivational styles of leftists and rightists are quite different. This research consistently finds that conservatism is positively associated with heightened epistemic concerns for order, structure, closure, certainty, consistency, simplicity, and familiarity, as well as existential concerns such as perceptions of danger, sensitivity to threat, and death anxiety.

Back in 2003, Jost and his team were blasted by Ann Coulter, George Will, and National Review for saying this; congressional Republicans began probing into their research grants; and they got lots of hate mail. But what's clear is that today, they've more or less triumphed. They won a field of converts to their view and sparked a wave of new research, including the work of Hibbing and his team.

Granted, there are still many issues yet to be worked out in the science of ideology. Most of the commentaries on the new Hibbing paper are focused on important but not-paradigm-shifting side issues, such as the question of how conservatives can have a higher negativity bias, and yet not have neurotic personalities. (Actually, if anything, the research suggests that liberals may be the more neurotic bunch.) Indeed, conservatives tend to have a high degree of happiness and life satisfaction. But Hibbing and colleagues find no contradiction here. Instead, they paraphrase two other scholarly commentators (Matt Motyl of the University of Virginia and Ravi Iyer of the University of Southern California), who note that "successfully monitoring and attending negative features of the environment, as conservatives tend to do, may be just the sort of tractable task…that is more likely to lead to a fulfilling and happy life than is a constant search for new experience after new experience."

All of this matters, of course, because we still operate in politics and in media as if minds can be changed by the best honed arguments, the most compelling facts. And yet if our political opponents are simply perceiving the world differently, that idea starts to crumble. Out of the rubble just might arise a better way of acting in politics that leads to less dysfunction and less gridlock…thanks to science.

http://m.motherjones.com/politics/2014/07/biology-ideology-john-hibbing-negativity-bias

Interesting interview with John Hibbing sound file thingy at the link.

Some of this is kinda intuitive. I suppose adding some possible science to it just makes it feel more real.

Some would whinge "Wall of Text!" I say phooey to them!

(I made the mistake of making a post today, and editing it to avoid the WoT criticism, with the result that the two people who responded totally missed the point of the post - I should have posted the whole article, with all the facts included.)

Some subjects are too complex to be dealt with just by excerpts, links, and 'comments', and all the facts are needed. (Or as many as the original article provides.) Otherwise all that's generated is a load of almost meaningless knee-jerk responses.

Real life is almost always more nuanced and complex than some people like to believe. So it's good to see the beady eye of science turned on political attitudes.

rynner2 said:
Some would whinge "Wall of Text!" I say phooey to them!

Frankly, I don't know what to do when posting on this site these days.:lol:

rynner2 said:
Real life is almost always more nuanced and complex than some people like to believe.

True, and research is always more nuanced and complex than we're likely to find in the press, even the scientific press. So, watering it down further with unnecessary editing seems unhelpful. I suppose some would like it to be like Twitter, with a ten word comment and a link.

rynner2 said:
So it's good to see the beady eye of science turned on political attitudes.

It is! There are many potential pitfalls to this, though. I keep turning it over in my head. Some elements of typical conservatism don't seem to fit with this image of conservative paranoia. And many characteristics I associate with liberals don't really seem consistent with the relaxed attitude liberals supposedly possess.

I must admit the "us vs. them" labelling of humanity is not one I'd like science to be promoting.

As an autistic person I think I get told we aren't human about twice a year :shock:

Mind you, we know we are human, we just aren't quite sure what the rest of you are. :p

gncxx said:
I must admit the "us vs. them" labelling of humanity is not one I'd like science to be promoting.

I feel the same, especially as human beings fall so quickly into that mindset without empirical support. But, although I'm unconvinced by these findings as it stands, science shouldn't necessarily be swayed by what we'd like it to tell us.

You're correct, but people are a lot more mixed up in their opinions than simply slotting into "Conservative" vs. "Liberal". There is plenty of overlapping.

While researching a book, I saw someone had posted a nice summary. Enjoy:

https://www.goodreads.com/review/show/74629951

Quirkology by Richard Wiseman
Quirkology: How We Discover the Big Truths in Small Things
by Richard Wiseman
Read in October 2009
The book covers psychological facts of everyday life. Although the book proves a bunch of common sense facts such a positive environment creates a positive mindset, there were couple of interesting factoids that I did not know before reading the book such as:
1)Certain people can will themselves to live longer by focusing on a goal with a deadline
2)It is easier to detect liars through the words they uses instead of non-verbal cues
a. Liars tend to provide less details and be vague and they try to distance themselves psychologically from their false statements so they have fewer statements about themselves/their feelings in their story line. They also tend to remember detailed facts.
b. A real smile can be told by a deeper wrinkle in their eyes. People who smile more are happier.
c. Da Vinci's Mona Lisa is enigmatic because you do not know whether or not the woman in the painting is happy or not. If one looks at the mouth, the woman looks like she is unhappy but if one looks at the eyes it looks like she is genuinely happy.
3) People tend to believe in superstitions more in times of uncertainty because they want control in their lives. I guess this is the reason that religion is against superstitions because it supplants the belief in God.
4)Subliminal messages in TV do not work
5)Names can determine your fate
6)Your environment can influence the way you think
7)Presenting yourself well can make other people like you better
8)Getting the object of your affection heart rate up when meeting them can make them in loved with you. This happens in war situations or scary movies
9)Love at first sight happens when you are keyed into the object of your affection non-verbal cues of interest
10) Laughing is good for your health and well-being
11)Comedy and religious fundamentalism do not mix because great humor involves mixing elements that do not go together, threaten authority, contain sexually explicit scenes and laughing means a loss of self-control and self-discipline all antithetical to the principles of religious fundamentalism
12) TV anti-social programs have no effect in real world violence
13)People tend to help others more often if they are similar to themselves (related to kin altruism)
14) People have no problems stealing from an institution or a machine but do not steal from people they relate to.
15) Religious tend to be more altruistic
16) People who live in a fast pace city and increase population density tend to be less friendly and helpful because they suffer from sensory overload. People who experience sensory overload tend to prioritize what they need to focus on so they become goal-oriented and thus less friendly/helpful. Because, they are less friendly to others, they tend to become more isolated and lonlier
17)To combat the worlds trend of becoming a more isolated, creating a sense of community is important. One can create this sense by first initiating others to smaller acts of altruism followed by larger acts.
18) People become what other expect them to be
19) Lucky people tend to be lucky because they believe that they are luck and create opportunities for themselves
20)People born in warmer climates tend to be luckier than people born in colder climates because the weather forces people to be kept warm in colder climates thus less likely to explore
21)Astrology works because it engages in flattery and being vague

And another book I don't need to buy because the review says it already:

No:
Will playing Mozart to your baby make it smarter? Does your memory work like a tape recorder, accurately recording everything you've ever experienced? Are you able to learn things while you are asleep? Can advertisers make you buy their products through subliminal messages?

Also no:
-- Most people use only 10% of their brain power.
-- Some people are left-brained; others are right-brained.
-- Playing Mozart's music to infants boosts their intelligence.
-- Most people experience a midlife crisis in their 40s or early 50s.
-- It's better to express anger to others than to hold it in.
-- Ulcers are caused by stress.

And:
While it's been obvious to me since I had kids that they come pre-wired with a personality, I had no idea how little a role environment plays on most of their core personality characteristics. I also find it interesting that diagnosis of psychological problems can be done mechanically with no decrease in accuracy over expert analysis and opinion (and more reliability).

50 Great Myths of Popular Psychology: Shattering Widespread Misconceptions about Human Behavior​

(Great Myths of Psychology)

by Scott O. Lilienfeld

I think assuming that peoples eyes are drawn to threatening images means they have a fear based ideology is a BIG leap. I mean I've been drawn to scary images since I was a kid. Actually the first time I thought "that guys hot" was the cover of a Fortean Times issue which featured a guy in a bath tub full of ice with bloody tubes hanging out of him (it was an issue about organ theft.) Using this as a comical example to make my point. Has anyone proven that eye linger is fear based? Maybe it's adrenaline based. Isn't that why we like horror films? It's not good research to make assumptions about causal mechanisms particularly for Social Research...

Last edited:
Back