• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

'Human Root' Unearthed (Picture)

mrpoultice

Fen-dwelling Slodger
Stunned farmer Zheng Dexun dug up a crop of fleeceflower, or Chinese knotweed, and found one shaped like a person, in Langzhong, China. The eerie-looking plant, measuring 62 centimetres tall, has clearly defined arms, legs, and head. Zheng said: "I don't know whether it is good or bad to dig out a Chinese knotweed that looks like a human. I'd better put it back in the earth!"

Picture of the day today on the Telegraph website. (click to see it)

Mr P

Ah! So that's where babies come from! Glad we've got that one cleared up.

Seriously though, excellent pic.

Dang. He got that up all in one piece? It's huge! I'd like to hire him to come root the hackberry out of my yard, please.

That is way spooky.

Really?

Or just another blatant lie by the Chinese media?

You know, like the ones that are seriously starting to clog-up "Strange Days". I mean, come on now, there's "Fortean", and then there's "bollocks".

CarlosTheDJ said:
Really?

You know, like the ones that are seriously starting to clog-up "Strange Days". I mean, come on now, there's "Fortean", and then there's "bollocks".
I must admit, I thought that too. It's a bit like when Pravda turned into the Sunday Sport but everyone kept treating it like a valid news source.

What's Wayne Rooney doing in China?

CarlosTheDJ said:
Really?

You're right, it does raise doubts. It could have been faked up.

any horticulturists around here ?
would it be possible to manipulate a plant's roots into a mold like they do with fruits and vegetables?

Carlos the DJ wrote
Really?

...Carlos, I didn't make any claims for it's veracity in my post. I wasn't aware there was an issue with Chinese media stories on here. And I would remind you that this is a forum for discussion, and not "shouting down" what other forteans bring to the table.

Mr P

It seems unlikely that such a thing could happen naturally, much less twice in a short period of time, but they are intriguing, to be sure.

mrpoultice said:
Carlos the DJ wrote
Really?

...Carlos, I didn't make any claims for it's veracity in my post. I wasn't aware there was an issue with Chinese media stories on here. And I would remind you that this is a forum for discussion, and not "shouting down" what other forteans bring to the table.

Mr P

Unless you work for the Chinese media I wasn't shouting you down.

I was referring to "Strange Days" in the magazine which is getting more and more saturated with tales from China that stretch the interest of even the most ardent Fortean.

And you will notice from the question marks that I wasn't stating anything, I was questioning the truthfulness of the story. Which makes it a discussion doesn't it?

I agree that it may have come across as a bit aggressive, but it wasn't aimed at you - apologies if you took any offence.

Back