Votes: 12 18.5%
  • No

Votes: 7 10.8%
  • What's a GSOH?

Votes: 17 26.2%

• Total voters

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
We had a U.S. poster on here a while back who asked what 'dogging' meant so we broke it to her gently .. and Fascinating Aida have done a song about it ..

genex17

Ephemeral Spectre
I was talking to a new employ who came from a rough section of Los Angeles and was explaining the local driving conditions in winter, especially while travelling in the mountains. I reminded him that he might need to bring along chains.

He thought for a second and said, "sounds like you have some really bad neighborhoods up there."

Last edited:

escargot

Beloved of Ra
I do not find funny things funny.
D'you mean, if you're told something's funny you're unlikely to enjoy it? Like, 'Nobody tells ME what to laugh at!'

If so I'm with you on that. My ex read somewhere that while men like sophisticated humour, women are more entertained by slapstick. He explained it carefully to me. You can imagine how THAT went down.

Ogdred Weary

Cosmically Triggered
D'you mean, if you're told something's funny you're unlikely to enjoy it? Like, 'Nobody tells ME what to laugh at!'

If so I'm with you on that. My ex read somewhere that while men like sophisticated humour, women are more entertained by slapstick. He explained it carefully to me. You can imagine how THAT went down.
I was being facetious.

But I agree, when people signpost the "funinness" of something it does tend to diminish the effect. I don't think men and women have different senses of humour, or at least not very different. Men, generally are more likely to laugh at nastier stuff but it's not like we're from different planets and it's not like women don't also enjoy sick or gallows humour.

escargot

Beloved of Ra
I was being facetious.

But I agree, when people signpost the "funinness" of something it does tend to diminish the effect. I don't think men and women have different senses of humour, or at least not very different. Men, generally are more likely to laugh at nastier stuff but it's not like we're from different planets and it's not like women don't also enjoy sick or gallows humour.
In my experience certain men ostentatiously share gruesome or tasteless humour as a way of showing how edgy they are. A bit sad really.

Also in my experience, nobody does gallows humour like nurses.

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
I always have that irrational fear that somewhere in this great thread, an "oldie but goodie" I was going to submit was already posted here. Even worse, I was the one who posted it. :eek:
The great thing about Alzheimer's is that you meet new people every day.

maximus otter

Bigphoot2

Carbon Based Infestation
I always have that irrational fear that somewhere in this great thread, an "oldie but goodie" I was going to submit was already posted here. Even worse, I was the one who posted it. :eek:
I used to be on a photography forum years ago and whenever anyone posted a joke, within 10 minutes one member would announce "That joke was posted nine years ago on 11th August 2003. Well, that was when he wasn't correcting people's grammar or contradicting every comment posted."

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
I used to be on a photography forum years ago and whenever anyone posted a joke, within 10 minutes one member would announce "That joke was posted nine years ago on 11th August 2003. Well, that was when he wasn't correcting people's grammar or contradicting every comment posted."
The short hand for someone posting something that's already been posted numerous times over on the b3ta site is "glasscock" .. named after the picture of that golfer kissing a glass trophy she'd just won that also looked a bit like a cock that was subsequently posted numerous times. I've been glasscocked here a few times and I'm sure I've also accidently glasscocked other people here, I don't let it bother me.

aglasscock.jpg

Last edited:
The short hand for someone posting something that's already been posted numerous times over on the b3ta site is "glasscock" .. named after the picture of that golfer kissing a glass trophy she'd just won that also looked a bit like a cock that was subsequently posted numerous times. I've been glasscocked here a few times and I'm sure I've also accidently glasscocked other people here, I don't let it bother me.
My brother used to have a boss called Jan Glasscock. He'd introduce himself thusly 'Yes, I have a humorous name, let's get on with it.'

Googled him a few years ago and he was asking questions in Parliament so it hasn't held him back!