Votes: 13 17.8%
  • No

Votes: 8 11.0%
  • What's a GSOH?

Votes: 18 24.7%

• Total voters

genex17

Ephemeral Spectre
I used to be on a photography forum years ago and whenever anyone posted a joke, within 10 minutes one member would announce "That joke was posted nine years ago on 11th August 2003. Well, that was when he wasn't correcting people's grammar or contradicting every comment posted."
Not surprised if he logged in one day to this message: We've moved! (And we are not telling you where.) :D

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
I used to be on a photography forum years ago and whenever anyone posted a joke, within 10 minutes one member would announce "That joke was posted nine years ago on 11th August 2003. Well, that was when he wasn't correcting people's grammar or contradicting every comment posted."
It's common practice on Web forums to make a game of pointing out redundant posts - particularly vacuous drive-by postings of funny pics or videos culled from elsewhere on the 'Net.

I've been on forums where members 'scored' by being the first to reply with 'Repost!' when someone posted something for the nth time.

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
D'you mean, if you're told something's funny you're unlikely to enjoy it? Like, 'Nobody tells ME what to laugh at!'

If so I'm with you on that. My ex read somewhere that while men like sophisticated humour, women are more entertained by slapstick. He explained it carefully to me. You can imagine how THAT went down.
Betcha gave him a slap. And a bit of ol' stick!

escargot

Beloved of Ra
Betcha gave him a slap. And a bit of ol' stick!
He deserved both! :fslap:

He sincerely believed it and when various types of comedic entertainment were on TV he'd watch my face carefully to see what I laughed at, and if it was even vaguely physical comedy he'd shout 'Look! Slapstick! It's SLAPSTICK and you LAUGHED!'

That got old fast.

genex17

Ephemeral Spectre
I hate slapstick, one of my mates thinks Mr Bean is hilarious, I haven't got a clue what he finds so funny.
The Three Stooges were archetypical slapstick. The term came from the exagerrated sound effect that two flat pieces of wood made when they smacked each other silly. I don't think many acts of the time had it down as Larry, Moe, and Curly did.

I had to check out what Mr. Bean was about. The skit where he is getting dressed while driving to the dentist is kind of novel.

Last edited:

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
The Three Stooges were archetypical slapstick. The term came from the exagerrated sound effect that two flat pieces of wood made when they smacked each other silly. I don't think many acts of the time had it down as Larry, Moe, and Curly did.
I never found them funny either. Sam Raimi and Bruce Campbell were fans of them and used lots of their gags in the Evil Dead films which were the only parts of those films I didn't like. I only found Bottom funny because of Rick Mayal.

escargot

Beloved of Ra
I never found them funny either. Sam Raimi and Bruce Campbell were fans of them and used lots of their gags in the Evil Dead films which were the only parts of those films I didn't like. I only found Bottom funny because of Rick Mayal.
I'm gonna come out here and admit that Bottom is incomprehensible to me.

Ogdred Weary

Cosmically Triggered
I think slapstick can be funny but often isn't. I love Bottom (HURR) but (also HURR) I wouldn't place at the top end of British sitcoms, it's more like top of the Second Division type thing. I find the Three Stooges painfully unfunny, it is utterly dreadful, I quite like Laurel and Hardy but find them more watchable than actually funny, if that makes sense, same with Chaplin.

I love the extreme violence in the older Tom & Jerry cartoons, brilliantly parodied as Itchy and Scratchy in The Simpsons, I suppose Bottom, to some extent is a live action cartoon. There was a cartoon 10-15 year ago called Happy Tree Friends, which was cute animals killing themselves and each other in horrific ways, it's entertaining for a few minutes but quickly gets old.

Swifty

I'm gonna come out here and admit that Bottom is incomprehensible to me.
I'm probably one of the few people in the UK who doesn't laugh out loud every time we see Del Boy fall through the bar hatch and that's often voted the funniest comedy moment of all time on UK TV. , it probably doesn't help that it's been shown so many times and mates will still howl with laughter then look at each other with approval. It stirs me about as much as when you're in a pub and there's a bunch of pissed karaoke lads towards the end of the night arm in arm, waving beer bottles in the air shouting the lyrics to Wonderwall by Oasis.

I've only ever physically laughed out loud twice at a film and TV show, The Jerk and SPACED.

Last edited:

escargot

Beloved of Ra
I can understand, Swifty. In humor some things work and some things don't. It also depends on age. I found Gilligan's Island amusing, my older sister thought it was "retarded".
Gilligan's Island was shown in the UK when I was a child and everyone seemed to love it, including me. My friends and I would discuss it and re-enact favourite scenes in the playground next day as we did with all our favourite shows.
(I can remember being flattered to be cast as the beautiful Marina in our impromptu version of Stingray, until I remembered that she had no lines!)

Curiously, all I remember about Gilligan's Island are the theme song, which we presumably practiced at Playtime, and an incident where the crew find an article that gives them wishes.

They no doubt waste a couple and then carefully gather together on the beach and wish 'To be off this island!', whereupon the bit of land they're standing on spontaneously separates from the rest. Possibly the first, and certainly the funniest, depiction of group disappointment that's ever come my way.

Swifty

I really want to watch that but it will only buffer for me here .. so I've just joined Vimeo and it won't stop buffering there either .. and the facebook video of it's down :( ... are there any more links to it anywhere?

edit: got it working! nice one for sharing that :)

Last edited:

Ogdred Weary

Cosmically Triggered
I really want to watch that but it will only buffer for me here .. so I've just joined Vimeo and it won't stop buffering there either .. and the facebook video of it's down :( ... are there any more links to it anywhere?

edit: got it working! nice one for sharing that :)
Did you get the whole thing to play? It's semi-excruciating but that's the point, a few friends I've shared it with who wouldn't normally be into Stewart Lee have all liked it, I suppose Hatred of Del Boy Falling Through The Fuckbastarding Bar trumps other hatreds.

Swifty

Did you get the whole thing to play? It's semi-excruciating but that's the point, a few friends I've shared it with who wouldn't normally be into Stewart Lee have all liked it, I suppose Hatred of Del Boy Falling Through The Fuckbastarding Bar trumps other hatreds.
Yeah, the whole thing played cheers :twothumbs: ... I was going to write before I watched that that Del Boy falling through the bar has become almost like a religion in the UK but Lee did it so much better with the whole Pagan/Priest/village fate sarcastic sketch ... and it was everyone finding the dead parrot sketch and the four candles sketch an almost religious experience before the equally irritating Del Boy falling through the bar sketch as I remember it, you were also looked at with a mixture of anger and pity if you didn't wet yourself laughing at those as well .. over and over and over again ..

Ogdred Weary

Cosmically Triggered
"Del Boy and the bar" was an odd moment for me. I saw it "live" as it were, when first broadcast and although finding it funny, my dad falling about laughing over it for a few minutes immediately killed the impact, I was a child but it was one of the first times I recall questioning the behaviour of a parent. Essentially I thought it was funny but not as funny as my dad did, I suppose it was the very beginning of seeing them in an "adult" way.

Coal

Polymath Renaissance Man, Italian Wiccan Anarchist
I find the Three Stooges painfully unfunny, it is utterly dreadful,
^this^
I love the extreme violence in the older Tom & Jerry cartoons,
^this^, the original and best Quimbey era ones are hysterically funny.
I'm probably one of the few people in the UK who doesn't laugh out loud every time we see Del Boy fall through the bar hatch and that's often voted the funniest comedy moment of all time on UK TV.
I can recall the first time I saw it and it was genuinely funny. But it worked the first time because you don't really see it coming - once you know the gag, it loses quite a lot, but I admit OFAH never really did it for me, although Boycie being described as "Having more front that Brighton" stuck with me.

Swifty

"Del Boy and the bar" was an odd moment for me. I saw it "live" as it were, when first broadcast and although finding it funny, my dad falling about laughing over it for a few minutes immediately killed the impact, I was a child but it was one of the first times I recall questioning the behaviour of a parent. Essentially I thought it was funny but not as funny as my dad did, I suppose it was the very beginning of seeing them in an "adult" way.
There used to be a bar in Magaluf called something like 'Only Fools And Horses' or 'Del's Bar' or something similar that only played the show on a large screen all day every day. It was obviously some ex pat's favourite show and he'd emigrated to open the theme bar. I Imagine it probably did quite well.

edit: found it .. looks like it's still going

afoolsbar.jpg

Last edited:

Lb8535

Ephemeral Spectre
I think slapstick can be funny but often isn't. I love Bottom (HURR) but (also HURR) I wouldn't place at the top end of British sitcoms, it's more like top of the Second Division type thing. I find the Three Stooges painfully unfunny, it is utterly dreadful, I quite like Laurel and Hardy but find them more watchable than actually funny, if that makes sense, same with Chaplin.

I love the extreme violence in the older Tom & Jerry cartoons, brilliantly parodied as Itchy and Scratchy in The Simpsons, I suppose Bottom, to some extent is a live action cartoon. There was a cartoon 10-15 year ago called Happy Tree Friends, which was cute animals killing themselves and each other in horrific ways, it's entertaining for a few minutes but quickly gets old.
Oh. Uh. And Here I thought we were talking about Midsummer Night's Dream. Wow, great education system I said to myself. Bottom certainly can be played for slapstick. My own favorites are the Marx Brothers who can send me into hysterics, but the 3 stooges do nothing for me. I think it's highly individual.