Votes: 13 17.6%
  • No

Votes: 8 10.8%
  • What's a GSOH?

Votes: 18 24.3%

• Total voters

GNC

King-Sized Canary
I heard these jokes from part of last night's "Heresy" radio show with the highly-talented trio of Victoria Cohen-Mitchell, Jo Brand & Rufus Hound
(hear this at https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/m0005t9g .....highly recommended, I had to listen to it properly when I eventually got home)

The Brexit theme was interwoven with investigations into how jokes may go too far.....you have been warned.

Victoria: My therapist says I might have schizophrenia....
Rufus: Oh?
Victoria: Ha! Joke's on her: I don't even have a therapist!!!

Victoria: My grandfather died in a concentration camp...
Jo: Sad....
Victoria: Yes, he fell from a watch-tower....
(The hidden punchline/dispensation on this is that her grandfather did die in a concentration camp, but not in the way she said)
It was Victoria's great-uncle, but yeah, as Jo Brand said a joke is all about intent, if you're intending to cause hurt then you should have a long look at yourself, if you're just trying to cope then why not? Maybe it'll help. Which makes it ironic that her battery acid joke on last night's show has so many people up in arms at the moment. OK, it wasn't hilarious, but I doubt she meant it seriously.

blessmycottonsocks

Justified & Ancient
"Victoria: My grandfather died in a concentration camp...
Victoria: Yes, he fell from a watch-tower...."

Sadly, the first time (AFAIK) that that "joke" was published was some 20 years ago, when an undercover reporter for (I think it was) Reader's Digest did an exposé on the BNP.
Some low-level anti-Semitic gags were being cracked at the meeting, when one of the presenters told everyone to STFU, because his granddad died in Auschwitz. This was met with stunned silence until he delivered the punchline "yeah, he got pissed and fell out of the machine-gun tower", which was met with cheers and raucous laughter.

Yes, it must have been Reader's Digest, because I recall reading it in my doctor's waiting room.

Last edited:

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.
"Victoria: My grandfather died in a concentration camp...
Victoria: Yes, he fell from a watch-tower...."

Sadly, the first time (AFAIK) that that "joke" was published was some 20 years ago, when an undercover reporter for (I think it was) Reader's Digest did an exposé on the BNP.
Some low-level anti-Semitic gags were being cracked at the meeting, when one of the presenters told everyone to STFU, because his granddad died in Auschwitz. This was met with stunned silence until he delivered the punchline "yeah, he got pissed and fell out of the machine-gun tower", which was met with cheers and raucous laughter.

Yes, it must have been Reader's Digest, because I recall reading it in my doctor's waiting room.
I remember Bernard Manning telling that joke.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
As Brand said, it's all in the intent. Victoria gets a pass because she did lose family members in the Holocaust. A neo-Nazi would have a different motive for telling the joke (Bernard Manning was a law unto himself). It's like The Producers: if gentiles had made it, then it would be a very different kettle of fish.

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
Maybe it'll help. Which makes it ironic that her battery acid joke on last night's show has so many people up in arms at the moment. OK, it wasn't hilarious, but I doubt she meant it seriously.
Yeah, there’s nothing offensive about people having milkshakes thrown over them with ideological motivation. lf it’s done from one end of the political spectrum, obviously:

The Greensboro sit-ins.

Hilarious and totally harmless, eh?

maximus otter

Krepostnoi

Popular orange vegetable
Yeah, there’s nothing offensive about people having milkshakes thrown over them with ideological motivation. lf it’s done from one end of the political spectrum, obviously:

The Greensboro sit-ins.

maximus otter
I can't help thinking you might not be taking account of differentials in power and status between the people on the receiving end in both incidents.

RaM

Justified & Ancient
I’ve just been to the motorway services and needed the loo, so headed straight to the nearest cubicle. As I got in, a chap in the next cubicle said “Alright mate, how’s it going?”

Slightly disturbed I went “Errrr, I’m fine.”

“So what are you up to then?” he replied

“Well I’m just about to have a sh1t” I answered

“Hmmmm, and how long will that take?” he said back

I replied “Just a few minutes I expect.”

“Sorry mate” he said, “I’ll have to call you back, some tw*t in the next cubicle keeps on answering everything I’m saying to you”

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.
Just been asked by a group of schoolkids outside the Co-op if I would get them 20 Richmonds.
Stupidly I agreed, they gave me the money and I got them a packet and handed them over.
You wouldn't believe the abuse I got from them.
Told the little bastards that next time they can get their own sausages!

GNC

King-Sized Canary

The Greensboro sit-ins.

maximus otter
The thing is, what nobody (or anybody who didn't hear the programme, which seems to be millions of people who have an opinion anyway) has picked up on is that Jo Brand was taking the piss out of the milkshake throwers, not the targets. She was calling them pussies for being so weak-willed as to think chucking a milkshake would change anyone's mind about anything. And it hasn't, has it?

Tempest63

Ephemeral Spectre
I cannot believe that the police are expending time and manpower investigating the Jo Brand joke on battery acid. She is a comedienne, IT WAS A FECKIN JOKE! I think the Chief Constable should be sacked.

Shady

Mary Queen of Scots...temping as DEATHS Kitty
Yes, put him in a sack and tell him to do an egg and spoon race in it

Tempest63

Ephemeral Spectre
Keeping it on a Fortean Theme he should be put in a wicker man and burnt on the village green.

By the way, before you kick my door down at 3am, cuff me and beat the shite out of me, THAT WAS ANOTHER FECKIN JOKE!