Votes: 13 17.3%
  • No

Votes: 8 10.7%
  • What's a GSOH?

Votes: 19 25.3%

• Total voters

Lb8535

Ephemeral Spectre
When I were a lass the vegetable-water was saved after cooking and we'd be given it to drink. Delicious and a great treat if it was still warm. My favourite was carrot-water but all varieties were welcome. It was believed to have health-giving qualities.

I cook vegetables most days in the steamer, which keeps the nutrients in the food instead of the water. Yes, I still drink it. No, steamer vegetable-water is nothing LIKE as tasty as the old stuff!
I'm sure your mother served it as a treat like licking the icing bowl. Smart mom.

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.
When I were a lass the vegetable-water was saved after cooking and we'd be given it to drink. Delicious and a great treat if it was still warm. My favourite was carrot-water but all varieties were welcome. It was believed to have health-giving qualities.

I cook vegetables most days in the steamer, which keeps the nutrients in the food instead of the water. Yes, I still drink it. No, steamer vegetable-water is nothing LIKE as tasty as the old stuff!
For the benefit of us Scottish forum members could someone explain what those "vegetable" thingies are.

Bad Bungle

Dingo took my tray bake.
See that cabbage juice... you don't mind if I give it a miss...?

Just that...

View attachment 21394
A "fermented slurry of salted cabbage" is called sauerkraut, the thing that makes Christmas bearable - unless you eat it uncooked of course (but that would be just insane).

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
I'm sure your mother served it as a treat like licking the icing bowl. Smart mom.
In working class households it was traditionally saved for the Master, the man of the house, on the principle that he worked hard and needed all the nutrition he could get. Kids only got it when he wasn't around.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers

Lb8535

Ephemeral Spectre
In working class households it was traditionally saved for the Master, the man of the house, on the principle that he worked hard and needed all the nutrition he could get. Kids only got it when he wasn't around.
the year 2019 version of this is "save it it for the stockpot". (no, I don't keep a stockpot.)

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
In working class households...

“...There were a hundred and sixty of us living in a small shoebox in the middle of the road.

MP: Cardboard box?

TJ: Aye.

MP: You were lucky. We lived for three months in a brown paper bag in a septic tank. We used to have to get up at six o'clock in the morning, clean the bag, eat a crust of stale bread, go to work down mill for fourteen hours a day week in-week out. When we got home, our Dad would thrash us to sleep with his belt!

GC: Luxury.

http://www.montypython.net/scripts/4york.php

maximus otter