• No

Votes: 8 10.7%
  • What's a GSOH?

Votes: 19 25.3%

• Total voters

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
One of the greatest sketches ever!

Cheers for reminding - there's a live version here..
I'm old enough to remember the Four Yorkshiremen sketch being new and laughing along with everyone else, having eventually bought it on vinyl and learned every word. The joke was that the characters exaggerated their experience of childhood poverty, in a sketch written by public schoolboys/Oxford graduates mocking working class hardship. That joke has worn thin now.

Lb8535

Abominable Snowman
I'm old enough to remember the Four Yorkshiremen sketch being new and laughing along with everyone else, having eventually bought it on vinyl and learned every word. The joke was that the characters exaggerated their experience of childhood poverty, in a sketch written by public schoolboys/Oxford graduates mocking working class hardship. That joke has worn thin now.
The joke is also that all four of those Yorkshiremen are carrying out the traditional one upmanship dressed in dinner jackets in an elegant restaurant smoking cigars. More of a comment on the need to appear to be better than anyone else even in myth of deprivation.

GNC

King-Sized Canary
I like to think of it as a self-parody by Michael Palin, who is a Yorkshireman from a fairly humble background and "bettered himself" (as they used to say) by going to university. I like to think that, but it's originally from At Last the 1948 Show, which Palin didn't write (but he did move in the same comedy circles).

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
My wife has asked for a Spa Day for Christmas.
Strange request, it's taken a bit of wrapping and I'll have to explain it's pronounced 'Spade' when I give it to her.
I love Christmas .. it's the only time of year I can slam the lid shut on my laptop when the Mrs walks in and not get a disgusted look ..