Votes: 13 17.3%
  • No

Votes: 8 10.7%
  • What's a GSOH?

Votes: 19 25.3%

• Total voters

Gene Hunt73

Junior Acolyte
The grand old Duke of York he had ten thousand men he marched them up to the top of the hill...but he doesn't remember it, besides he was having a meal at Pizza Express that day and he didn't have his marching suit on him anyway.

Comfortably Numb

Justified & Ancient
New York, Paris, Craiglang: Designer £345 outfit likened to something Still Game's Tam Mullen would wear

Source: Glasgow Evening Times
Date: 3 December, 2019

A DESIGNER outfit has gone viral after it was likened to something Still Game character Tam Mullen would wear.

The £345 Polo Ralph Lauren look was picked up by quick-witted Tweeter @mclovespizza who compared it to the character known for being tight with his money.

In the hilarious Tweet, @mclovespizza joked: "£345 to look like Tam Mullen."

The joke went viral with actor Mark Cox, who plays Tam in the hit BBC series, simply replying, "Haaaa!"

He added: "I wear it much better, Ralph Lauren."

Screenshot_20191203_142121_compress35.jpg

https://www-eveningtimes-co-uk.cdn....ikened-something-still-games-tam-mullen-wear/

blessmycottonsocks

Justified & Ancient
Comedy gone wrong (warning: not funny, just intensely uncomfortable).
I'm told this chap is on the BBC, but I've never seen his programme. Is it funny?

God that is embarrassing.
The most misjudged humour since Billy Connolly was booed off stage for cracking a gag about a victim beheaded by the Islamic State.

hunck

Justified & Ancient
I've seen bits & bobs of him, don't find him particularly funny & wouldn't seek out one of his shows. I think he ticks several BBC boxes though so he crops up often on 'comedy/current affairs' shows. We don't hear too much of what he said to upset them & we don't really hear the heckles clearly - I'm assuming it's a bit 'lefty provocative + modern life' which is his usual schtick. The Royal Taverners are a sporting charity, particularly youth cricket & disabled/disadvantaged sports participation.

Considering he was doing it free for charity I don't think it reflects too well on them. Probably some drinking involved too..

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
I've seen bits & bobs of him, don't find him particularly funny & wouldn't seek out one of his shows. I think he ticks several BBC boxes though so he crops up often on 'comedy/current affairs' shows. We don't hear too much of what he said to upset them & we don't really hear the heckles clearly - I'm assuming it's a bit 'lefty provocative + modern life' which is his usual schtick. The Royal Taverners are a sporting charity, particularly youth cricket & disabled/disadvantaged sports participation.

Considering he was doing it free for charity I don't think it reflects too well on them. Probably some drinking involved too..
Apparently there were BREXIT and election jokes--and then he got hit by a bread roll and told to shut up.

And then the crowd got surly when he said that their ancestors had probably colonised his.

I kind of see the throwers point--you don't really want divisive comedy at a charity event.

But then again, he was doing the gig for free. The error seems to have been with those who picked him.

blessmycottonsocks

Justified & Ancient
Apparently there were BREXIT and election jokes--and then he got hit by a bread roll and told to shut up.

And then the crowd got surly when he said that their ancestors had probably colonised his.

I kind of see the throwers point--you don't really want divisive comedy at a charity event.

But then again, he was doing the gig for free. The error seems to have been with those who picked him.
This was being discussed on BBC Radio 5 Live as I was driving home.
The BBC guy described the incident as "excruciating".
The Lords' Taverners charity is a strictly non-political body and this comedian was told, after his first political gag, "no politics". But he ploughed on regardless and then had a go at the audience for their reaction.
They obviously weren't that tough an audience, as Harry Redknapp's witty anecdotes just before his set were apparently met with huge laughter and rapturous applause.
Given the venue and the guests, the obvious choice of humour would have been cricket, football and TV, not the Conservative party and colonialism!

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
Comedy gone wrong (warning: not funny, just intensely uncomfortable).
I'm told this chap is on the BBC, but I've never seen his programme. Is it funny?

Granted he may have been told no politics, but he was apparently working for free and is a very political comedian - sounds like it was a poorly judged booking by somebody. Given cricket's conservative-with-a-small-c image, it's no surprise to find his views weren't shared by those at the event. That said, I post on a Somerset cricket fans' forum and when politics – well, Brexit – comes up (I'm having to be careful here, obviously) the Somerset forum would appear far more liberal (with a small c) than the Lords' Taverners. I guess apart from having to fend off a bread roll (not the pelted with food of some reports) it hasn't done Mr Kumar's career any harm...

GNC

King-Sized Canary
Heard this joke on the radio the other day: a friend of mine had his application for an allotment turned down. He was so furious he went round to the council offices and smashed the place up. He'd totally lost the plot.

(with apologies to Shaun Keaveney - or maybe he should apologise to us).

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.
Three women die together in an accident and go to heaven.
When they get there, St. Peter says, "We only have one rule here in heaven: don't step on the ducks!"
So they enter heaven, and sure enough, there are ducks all over the place.
It is almost impossible not to step on a duck, and although they try their best to avoid them, the first woman accidentally steps on one.
Along comes St. Peter with the ugliest man she ever saw.
St. Peter chains them together and says, "Your punishment for stepping on a duck is to spend eternity chained to this ugly man!"
The next day, the second woman accidentally steps on a duck and along comes St. Peter, who doesn't miss a thing. With him is another extremely ugly man. He chains them together with the same admonishment as for the first woman.
The third woman has observed all this and, not wanting to be chained for all eternity to an ugly man, is very, VERY careful where she steps.
She manages to go months without stepping on any ducks, but one day St. Peter comes up to her with the most handsome man she has ever laid eyes on - tall, tanned and muscular with a kind, intelligent face.
St. Peter chains them together without saying a word.
The happy woman says, "I wonder what I did to deserve being chained to you for all of eternity?"
The guy says, "I don't know about you, but I stepped on a duck!"

Yithian

Parish Watch
Staff member
I was amused by this scenario.

The U.S. ambassador to Iceland today visited the R.A.F. contingent there--it being a big day for NATO.

He brought them pizza as a token of goodwill; they in return gave him the only thing you can respectably serve to an ambassador: a plate of Ferrero Rocher!