• No

Votes: 11 12.2%
  • What's a GSOH?

Votes: 21 23.3%

• Total voters

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
I know one two liner that I next to never tell anyone at all. I don't mean to be a tease and before anyone asks? .. no .. not even via pm or even to Skargy, it's that messed up ... the only time I'll ever tell it is when some co-worker tries to challenge shock me with some pedo joke or similar, I'll tell them my one and it always gets a haunted stunned expression .. and again, no before anyone asks ..

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Use this one - two hunters from Cromer... or "Yorkshire..." The jokes are all the same, we just change out the labels.
That identifies the hunters by location and ethnicity. I contend that 'rednecks' does not, unless you equate 'American deep South' with 'rednecks'.
Perhaps an English equivalent might be 'chav'.
But we English are happy enough to have jokes about us, as long as they are funny.

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
IMO a good joke is a good joke. An insult pretending to be a joke is different - that implies a target as opposed to a subject.
Problem is that some people like to take offence to things regardless, sometimes even when it isn't aimed at them personally.
You've only got to look at successful comedians like Jimmy Carr and Gary Delaney, who can both drag the joke down to the gutter quite happily.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
IMO a good joke is a good joke. An insult pretending to be a joke is different - that implies a target as opposed to a subject.
Problem is that some people like to take offence to things regardless, sometimes even when it isn't aimed at them personally.
You've only got to look at successful comedians like Jimmy Carr and Gary Delaney, who can both drag the joke down to the gutter quite happily.
Don't forget to add Frankie Boyle to that list ..

Lb8535

Very charming snow person
Reaction score
That identifies the hunters by location and ethnicity. I contend that 'rednecks' does not, unless you equate 'American deep South' with 'rednecks'.
Perhaps an English equivalent might be 'chav'.
But we English are happy enough to have jokes about us, as long as they are funny.
Right, I was demonstrating that you can get a chuckle no matter how you label them. I'll make one stab here, this is the label: A "redneck" image is a poor southern, rural European-American who is stupid and ignorant, can't read well, who speaks with a strong accent, whose wife is either cookin' or bearin' babies. (generally it implies men.) He drinks a lot of beer, has a confederate flag flying from his beat-up pickup and has many guns as he can afford, one of them in the pickup. It's not a race, but it's a fictional group that people feel they have been stuffed into. My point was that if we create a negative label that can identifiably the attached to someone , well, why do it?

Lb8535

Reaction score
Wow, a joke can be aimed at a group that you belong to and it can be quite nasty (female here...) Yes I will take offence and yes I will ask you to stop doing it.

pandacracker

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
A joke, told to me by an old Irish fellah that would regularly turn up to the Irish sessions I used to play at.

A plane crashes near a dessert island.

The only survivors are 2 Englishmen, 2 Scotsmen, 2 Welshmen and 2 Irishmen.

Luckily for them (and the joke), they managed to salvage all the food and drink from the plane and were able to survive for a little over a year before they were rescued.

When the rescuers arrived at the island they found the Welshmen singing beautifully together, the Scotsmen were having ceilidh, the Irishmen were pissed and having a fight while the Englishmen were wandering up and down the beach still waiting to be introduced.

Last edited:

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
A joke, told to me by an old Irish fellah that would regularly turn up to the Irish sessions I used to play at.

A plane crashes near a dessert island.

The only survivors are 2 Englishmen, 2 Scotsmen, 2 Welshmen and 2 Irishmen.

Luckily for them (and the joke), they managed to salvage all the food and drink from the plane and were able to survive for a little over a year before they were rescued.

When the rescuers arrived at the island they found the Welshman singing beautifully together, the Scotsmen were having ceilidh, the Irishmen were pissed and having a fight while the Englishmen were wandering up and down the beach still waiting to be introduced.
I can't live on a dessert island.
I'm a diabetic!

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Reaction score
Right, I was demonstrating that you can get a chuckle no matter how you label them. I'll make one stab here, this is the label: A "redneck" image is a poor southern, rural European-American who is stupid and ignorant, can't read well, who speaks with a strong accent, whose wife is either cookin' or bearin' babies. (generally it implies men.) He drinks a lot of beer, has a confederate flag flying from his beat-up pickup and has many guns as he can afford, one of them in the pickup. It's not a race, but it's a fictional group that people feel they have been stuffed into. My point was that if we create a negative label that can identifiably the attached to someone , well, why do it?
OK... I meant nothing by it...

Trevp666

Reaction score
Wow, a joke can be aimed at a group that you belong to and it can be quite nasty (female here...) Yes I will take offence and yes I will ask you to stop doing it.
Indeed. It's perfectly your right to take offence at something if you feel offended.
What I'm talking about is the people who go out of their way to deliberately take offence for the sake of it just to provoke a reaction.
We live in a country (the US too I believe) where we are entitled to free speech (apparently) so I might take offence at a joke or opinion aimed at me or someone like me, and I might disagree with that opinion or joke, but I will 100% defend that persons right to their free speech to make that joke.

michael59

Abominable Snowman
Reaction score
I guess I could substitute the word 'rednecks' with 'stupid guys with sunburned necks'. Would that be better?
Alberta, Canada, is considered oil country. Lots of oil rigs around here. If you are newly hired and basically doing the grunt work on the oil rigs, you are called a redneck.

Anyone here from Texas? Are they called rednecks on the rigs in Texas?

One time my brothers were driving from Edmonton to Texas to work on the rigs. They got stopped for speeding by Texas police. The officer looked at the license plate and asked, "Alberta, is that a new state?" lol

Naughty_Felid

Antediluvian
Reaction score
Alberta, Canada, is considered oil country. Lots of oil rigs around here. If you are newly hired and basically doing the grunt work on the oil rigs, you are called a redneck.

One time my brothers were driving from Edmonton to Texas to work on the rigs. They got stopped for speeding by Texas police. The officer looked at the license plate and asked, "Alberta, is that a new state?" lol
I thought it was "rough neck" if you worked on the rigs?

Trevp666

Reaction score
Because it's Sunday, here is a special 'bumper crop' of funnies for you.
Enjoy!

My neighbour came round and spoke to me really aggressively, asking if I knew anything about her underwear disappearing from her clothes line
I can tell you I nearly shit her pants.

I remember that i once criticised my ex for overdoing it on the botox injections. She didn't look at all surprised.

I was thinking of going to the cinema to watch that new movie "deja vu", but I'm sure I've seen it before

I bought some shoes from a drug dealer. I don't know what he laced them with but i was tripping for days.

What's the difference between roast beef and pea soup? Anyone can roast beef!

What do you call a man with terrible dress sense, personal hygiene issues and an awful lack of coordination?
Names.

I remember when my wife told me "sex is always better on holiday ".
That wasn't a very nice postcard to receive.

I bought a pizza and it said on the box to cook in the oven for 18-21 minutes. How can i cook something for -3 minutes?

What do a chicken, a bicycle and a banana have in common? They all have handlebars. Except the chicken. And the banana.

My friend can't go to her innuendo training tomorrow so I'm going to fill her slot

Ermintruder

Delineated by a professional cryptozoologist
Reaction score
2020-06-21 11.46.41.png

(This post claims exemption from any complaint as to it possessing any political dimension. It should be seen as a satirical depiction of an ostensibly real-world situation which is itself beyond farce)

EDIT
Don't try this at home. But if you do, your string must be 2m in length. Unless you live inside a school in Northern Ireland on a weekday prior to the implimentation of the backstop in the Irish Sea before the general effects of herd immunity & confirmation bias kick-in

Last edited:

blessmycottonsocks

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Everywhere makes the same jokes but with a different 'other' as the butt of the Joke.
People in England used to (probably still do) make jokes about the Irish.
I believe the French make jokes about the English (Le Rosbif).
My Brazilian friend told me that all their jokes are about the Portuguese.
And so on.
I expect that there are some we can guess at.
Probably South Koreans make all their jokes about the North.
The archetypal idiot who is the butt of all jokes in France, is Belgian. Belgians are depicted as feckless knuckle-draggers who eat nothing but chips.
Political correctness seemed to bypass France entirely and comic books devoted to Belgian jokes are still widely available.

belges.jpg

Lb8535

Reaction score
Indeed. It's perfectly your right to take offence at something if you feel offended.
What I'm talking about is the people who go out of their way to deliberately take offence for the sake of it just to provoke a reaction.
We live in a country (the US too I believe) where we are entitled to free speech (apparently) so I might take offence at a joke or opinion aimed at me or someone like me, and I might disagree with that opinion or joke, but I will 100% defend that persons right to their free speech to make that joke.
I don't think I should have said "offended". I can't think of a time that I have been "offended" by something someone said, offended implies a good deal of ego. And I can't even envision a person who would pretend to be offended or upset to "provoke" something. I have, however, been angered. So yes you do have the right to make a joke. And in response, I have the right to: not hire you, warn you or fire you, get up and sit with someone else at the bar, ignore you socially and tell all our friends why, yammer at you continuously about why you shouldn't flip out ideas that put other people down unless you really believe them, etc. It's not like jokes are a truth that must be told. Women are not bad drivers, blondes are not dumb, and on and on. It would be easier to think about whether we could make jokes that don't put some group down.

And in a more serious arena, where black-people jokes are used by a sub-class to reinforce racist culture and acts, no I don't think pleading free speech gets us very far. Speech can be violence. We have to watch what we do with it. The question isn't can I say it without being jailed, but should I say it.

Lb8535

Reaction score

I drove through northern Texas, the skinny part (that took me a day), which is very pretty country, and was stopped by border patrol up in the hills. My car was loaded with stuff and I had Jersey plates and the officer asked me the reason for my trip. I told her "going home." She carefully noted my plates and asked for my final destination. Which I suppose she had to but she might have guessed. This was around the time the Sopranos was airing and I drove very carefully across the country with those plates. At least until I reached Delaware.

Trevp666

Reaction score
Speech can be violence. We have to watch what we do with it

You're right. Which is exactly why I qualified my previous post with
An insult pretending to be a joke is different
One can't just go throwing an insult at an individual or group and then try and pretend 'it was a joke'.
That's the difference between the target of an insult, or the subject of a joke.

I've posted a lot of jokes which I have rewritten to remove stereotypes etc (The Irishman, the Frenchman, the Redneck...etc etc) and with a bit of thought they can be changed to still retain what made it a joke without using the stereotype.