• No

Votes: 12 12.0%
  • What's a GSOH?

Votes: 22 22.0%

• Total voters

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
Me and the Mrs had to look after Bob Mortimer once when he came to Cromer in the before times .. ask Escargot, she'll tell you .. our chef went into a diabetic coma and couldn't attend btw so the BBC threatened to never visit again. Good. The BBC are typically twats when they stay in hotels and Bob got lost in the grounds so the Mrs had to find him. Paul Whitehouse cheered everyone up that night though but let's have some Bob instead ..

Mortimerian Tales - Bob Mortimer on Would I Lie to You? - Part 1 - YouTube

Ermintruder

Delineated by a professional cryptozoologist
Reaction score
Mind blown
Ummm....
Before acting in Episode IV - A New Hope, Carrie Fisher had never seen a single Star Wars movie.
Maybe I'm missing the irony here....there were NO Star Wars movies before 'Episode IV - A New Hope'....it was the first-ever movie/film in the whole franchise!!

So it's hardly-surprising that Carrie Fisher hadn't seen any before taking on the role....it was a brand-new concept!

Wait....I'm doing this wrong, aren't I? You all knew this, didn't you? And I've gone & spoilt the whole effect of the joke....dammit. I now feel terrible, what have I done?

;)

Last edited:

Schrodinger's Zebra

looking for cracks in the pavement.
Reaction score
Ummm....

Maybe I'm missing the irony here....there were NO Star Wars movies before 'Episode IV - A New Hope'....it was the first-ever movie/film in the whole franchise!!

So it's hardly-surprising that Carrie Fisher hadn't seen any before taking on the role....it was a brand-new concept!

Wait....I'm doing this wrong, aren't I? You all knew this, didn't you? And I've gone & spoilt the whole effect of the joke....dammit. I now feel terrible, what have I done?

;)
It's alright. Between you and me I've never seen any Star Wars films so I didn't get it either.

Don't tell anyone, though. Just between us.

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
Ummm....

;)
Stop dissecting the goose that laid the golden egg! .. it's a good joke .. and rif on current revisionist facebooook timings but you already knew that :p

Vardoger

I'm #1 so why try harder
Reaction score
Ummm....

;)
It was episode four, but it was filmed first. That was the whole joke. Star Wars fans understand it, but confuses others.

Ermintruder

Delineated by a professional cryptozoologist
Reaction score
Stop dissecting the goose that laid the golden egg!
Gotcha. I did realise the error of my ways, just before I pressed 'send'. And I shall do my penance tomorrow (which'll be watching a wrinkled mistracking VHS copy of "Star Wars: The Original Motion Picture tm" wearing a hair shirt whilst perched upon a detumescent space-hopper....for just the second time ever).

That was the whole joke. Star Wars fans understand it, but confuses others.
Yes, but, no, but....sort-of. Star Wars fans will get it, but true 'others' won't be confused in the least. They'd accept the literal truth in the statement that the joke consists of: why would they do anything else? (I cite our colleague @Schrodinger's Zebra as a perfect example of this).

The people who are truly confused by it are marginal pains-in-the-butt like me: who (at the time, and still, now) tried to buy-in to the brand.

Followed it up with a slack-jawed disengaged unenthusiasm, which they hid (to avoid being beaten-up by true believers).

Yawned at the hype. Learned the conditioned cultural dog-whistle responses.

(But in their heart-of-hearts knew they vastly-preferred anything to do with eg Star Trek, Philip K Dick, Silent Running or Officer Ripley gorgeously zipping-into her space-suit aboard the Nostromo).

Thank goodness I never over-analysed this whole saga...

Don't tell anyone, though. Just between us.
Your secret is certainly as safe as you've made it....!
I promise I'll tell nobody else about our collective lack of enthusiasm for Star Wors, and we'll both (in our own quiet ways) try to pick-up bits&pieces of pub-quiz info about the whole mystifying hoo-haa as we wend our way through life. But only in a disinterested and ineffectual manner....

In other news...

Executive Decision (from the wonderful pbfcomics.com )
2021-01-12 06.51.52.png