• No

Votes: 12 12.0%
  • What's a GSOH?

Votes: 22 22.0%

• Total voters

Vardoger

I'm #1 so why try harder
Reaction score
Gotcha. I did realise the error of my ways, just before I pressed 'send'. And I shall do my penance tomorrow (which'll be watching a wrinkled mistracking VHS copy of "Star Wars: The Original Motion Picture tm" wearing a hair shirt whilst perched upon a detumescent space-hopper....for just the second time ever).

Yes, but, no, but....sort-of. Star Wars fans will get it, but true 'others' won't be confused in the least. They'd accept the literal truth in the statement that the joke consists of: why would they do anything else? (I cite our colleague @Schrodinger's Zebra as a perfect example of this).

The people who are truly confused by it are marginal pains-in-the-butt like me: who (at the time, and still, now) tried to buy-in to the brand.

Followed it up with a slack-jawed disengaged unenthusiasm, which they hid (to avoid being beaten-up by true believers).

Yawned at the hype. Learned the conditioned cultural dog-whistle responses.

(But in their heart-of-hearts knew they vastly-preferred anything to do with eg Star Trek, Philip K Dick, Silent Running or Officer Ripley gorgeously zipping-into her space-suit aboard the Nostromo).

Thank goodness I never over-analysed this whole saga...

Your secret is certainly as safe as you've made it....!
I promise I'll tell nobody else about our collective lack of enthusiasm for Star Wors, and we'll both (in our own quiet ways) try to pick-up bits&pieces of pub-quiz info about the whole mystifying hoo-haa as we wend our way through life. But only in a disinterested and ineffectual manner....
Sure, those who read it can take the information for granted if they don't know it's supposed to be a joke. But the confusion will be "What is the joke?" if it has been posted as a joke.

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)
IIRC....When 'Star Wars' was released in 1977 it was just called 'Star Wars'. No number, no sub-title, and it was just referred to as 'Star Wars' and later 'The Empire Strikes Back' was released, which was referred to as '...the sequel to Star Wars......The Empire Strikes Back'.
Then we had 'Return of the Jedi', which was spoken of as being the last in the 'Star Wars' trilogy.
I think that due to difficulties in maintaining the higher production levels that were required, union action, lack of decent ongoing plot/story lines, the market being flooded with similar films, etc etc etc there were no plans to produce any more.

Then in 1999 when 'The Phantom Menace' was released with the promise of 2 more films (IMO all 3 were pretty terrible), and the advance of CGI technology, the original 3 films were 'numbered' IV, V, and VI, and given a makeover, installing extra effects and including extra scenes that had been filmed at the time but never originally included as George Lucas realised at the time of the original shoot that the technology didn't then exist to create what he had in mind, so he shelved the footage, but then it was dusted off and used after receiving the CGI that it needed to be complete.
So in a way, IV, V and VI are 'new' films (partly).

WeeScottishLassie

Ephemeral Spectre
Reaction score
Sure, those who read it can take the information for granted if they don't know it's supposed to be a joke. But the confusion will be "What is the joke?" if it has been posted as a joke.
I didn't get the joke as it went over my head but I'm a simple being!! :D

Trevp666

Reaction score

gordonrutter

There must be a set character limit to this opt...
Staff member
Reaction score
IIRC....When 'Star Wars' was released in 1977 it was just called 'Star Wars'. No number, no sub-title, and it was just referred to as 'Star Wars' and later 'The Empire Strikes Back' was released, which was referred to as '...the sequel to Star Wars......The Empire Strikes Back'.
Then we had 'Return of the Jedi', which was spoken of as being the last in the 'Star Wars' trilogy.
I think that due to difficulties in maintaining the higher production levels that were required, union action, lack of decent ongoing plot/story lines, the market being flooded with similar films, etc etc etc there were no plans to produce any more.

Then in 1999 when 'The Phantom Menace' was released with the promise of 2 more films (IMO all 3 were pretty terrible), and the advance of CGI technology, the original 3 films were 'numbered' IV, V, and VI, and given a makeover, installing extra effects and including extra scenes that had been filmed at the time but never originally included as George Lucas realised at the time of the original shoot that the technology didn't then exist to create what he had in mind, so he shelved the footage, but then it was dusted off and used after receiving the CGI that it needed to be complete.
So in a way, IV, V and VI are 'new' films (partly).
Afraid not. The first ever Star Wars film was called Episode IV A New Hope from 1981, a year after Empire was released and two years beore Return came out. At the time the publicity was that it would eventually be a trilogy of trilogies, which is what we now have.

Ermintruder

Delineated by a professional cryptozoologist
Reaction score
Should come with attached Roadie Crack
No thanks, you can keep that one (and not for later!)

In other news:
<irony>
Q- What do you call a Can Opener that doesn't work?

A- Be kind, just call it a Can Opener: this furlough is taking its toll upon all of us </irony>

Trevp666

Reaction score

gordonrutter

There must be a set character limit to this opt...
Staff member
Reaction score
I thought I was correct that it wasn't numbered when released though.
Yes you were, the first numbered film on original release was Return of the Jedi.

Trevp666

Reaction score
I played on the Star Wars sets at Elstree studios when it was in production, and T.E.S.B. and even sat on one of the flying motorbike things.
It was suspended on three big thick wires stretched between gantries.
Shame I didn't know at the time how successful it was going to be. I would have (ahem) 'borrowed' some items.....

CarlosTheDJ

Sio Bibble
Reaction score
I played on the Star Wars sets at Elstree studios when it was in production, and T.E.S.B. and even sat on one of the flying motorbike things.
It was suspended on three big thick wires stretched between gantries.
Shame I didn't know at the time how successful it was going to be. I would have (ahem) 'borrowed' some items.....
Speeder Bikes didn't show up until ROTJ did they?

Trevp666

Reaction score
Speeder Bikes didn't show up until ROTJ did they?
I would have been about 15/16 so that puts it in 1981/1982/1983 so a quick look up the release dates shows ROTJ as '83 so yeah that would have been right.
Further checking shows that indeed 'first appearance' of the bikes was in ROTJ.
And I didn't get to see ROTJ until it came out on VHS.
I remember thinking that the bikes looked much better in the film than the wobbly, heath-robinson affairs that I experienced.

Also I went to see TESB when it was released, at the cinema opposite Elstree Studios.
IIRC I was possibly slightly too young cos I think it had an 'A' rating.
The cinema is no longer there, it got redeveloped as office buildings in the 90's.

brownmane

off kilter
Reaction score
Afraid not. The first ever Star Wars film was called Episode IV A New Hope from 1981, a year after Empire was released and two years beore Return came out. At the time the publicity was that it would eventually be a trilogy of trilogies, which is what we now have.
And therein lies the real joke :rofl:. Sorry couldn't resist. I am in league with Scargy all the way.

sherbetbizarre

Special Branch
Reaction score

I would have been about 15/16
I assume you didn't just break in? ;)