• What's a GSOH?

Votes: 27 24.3%

• Total voters

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.
Reaction score
242873892_4406790149408878_6612918335188733243_n.jpg

Trevp666

It was like that when I got here.........honest!!!
Reaction score
Welwyn Garden City (but oddly, not an actual city)

Floyd1

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Nine things your parents fed you that you wouldn't dream of giving your kids

IN DECADES past, loving parents dished up these foodstuffs to their children and somehow they survived. You’d never give this shit to your own kids:
https://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news...ldnt-dream-of-giving-your-kids-20210929212555
Mini kievs

''Balls of processed chicken with a garlic cream centre, like a gross Cadbury’s Creme Egg you can enjoy all year round. Were considered sophisticated and continental''. (That often squirted lava-temperature liquid straight into your face and/or eyes when you cut them open).

Trevp666

Reaction score
"We used to call our grandad 'spiderman'....Not because he was a superhero, but because he couldn't get out of the bath by himself"

Last edited:

ChasFink

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score

IN DECADES past, loving parents dished up these foodstuffs to their children and somehow they survived. You’d never give this shit to your own kids:
https://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news...ldnt-dream-of-giving-your-kids-20210929212555
Yeah some all of these are crap food, but many are hardly the disturbing not-quite-food the headline suggests. Pop-Tarts? Sunny D? Turkey "ham"? When I was growing up we had Fizzies, Nik-L-Nip, and Koogle. (And we lived in a hole in the road.)

Trevp666

Reaction score
I went to see the doctor for a check-up.
He said to me "Go over to the window, lean out and stick out your tongue"
I said "Is that part of the check-up now?"
He said "No, I just don't like the bloke over the road".

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Reaction score
I went to see the doctor for a check-up.
He said to me "Go over to the window, lean out and stick out your tongue"
I said "Is that part of the check-up now?"
He said "No, I just don't like the bloke over the road".
Tommy Cooper lives! :rollingw:

ChasFink

Justified & Ancient
Reaction score
Yeah some all of these are crap food, but many are hardly the disturbing not-quite-food the headline suggests. Pop-Tarts? Sunny D? Turkey "ham"? When I was growing up we had Fizzies, Nik-L-Nip, and Koogle. (And we lived in a hole in the road.)

Good G-d man, how on earth are you still alive?!

Careful balance. The negative effects of each of these "foods" counteracts the others.

Seriously - Fizzies tasted awful, but I kept buying them because the concept was so cool.

Trevp666

Reaction score
Even the volcano is a joker - it made the lava draw a cock and balls.

comic lava.png

Tigerhawk

Dazed and confused...
Reaction score

None of these ended up on my table when I was a kid! But then, 80's kids had it better than 70's kids!

Trevp666

Reaction score
I think the nearest we got to 'junk food' being served up when I was a kid was 'Angel Delight'.
My mother used to cook stuff 'from scratch' mainly but also she had had that wartime need to 'not throw anything anyway' firmly drummed into her, so if she baked a cake to use as dessert on a Sunday then any left-over cake would be cut into chunks and covered in custard on Monday, and then if there was any not used with the custard that would become a layer in something else on the Tuesday etc etc.
We came to call her various creations that used up left-overs 'Eileen Specials' (for Eileen was her name).

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
I think the nearest we got to 'junk food' being served up when I was a kid was 'Angel Delight'.
My mother used to cook stuff 'from scratch' mainly but also she had had that wartime need to 'not throw anything anyway' firmly drummed into her, so if she baked a cake to use as dessert on a Sunday then any left-over cake would be cut into chunks and covered in custard on Monday, and then if there was any not used with the custard that would become a layer in something else on the Tuesday etc etc.
We came to call her various creations that used up left-overs 'Eileen Specials' (for Eileen was her name).
I loved Findus crispy pancakes (minced beef) and boil in the bag cod when I was a kid, I've been on a mission to try to find both for the last few years. The Mrs thinks LIDL sell the pancakes so I'll have a look next time I'm in there. Toffee flavoured Angel Delight was my favourite.

Nosmo King

I'm not a cat
Reaction score
I loved Findus crispy pancakes (minced beef) and boil in the bag cod when I was a kid, I've been on a mission to try to find both for the last few years. The Mrs thinks LIDL sell the pancakes so I'll have a look next time I'm in there. Toffee flavoured Angel Delight was my favourite.
Butterscotch was my favourite Angel Delight

Giant R

Junior Acolyte
Reaction score
Me too. I found a Vesta Beef curry in a poundshop a few months ago, remember those? Probably the first 'ready meal' which wasn't frozen but dehydrated. It actually tasted ok.

I listen to a 70s rock show most Thursdays and for a laugh last week I prepared a 70s meal of a Fray Bentos Steak and kidney pie in a tin, Smash instant mash and tinned processed peas. Better than we thought (unless my other half was being polite...)

Swifty

doesn't negotiate with terriers
Reaction score
Me too. I found a Vesta Beef curry in a poundshop a few months ago, remember those? Probably the first 'ready meal' which wasn't frozen but dehydrated. It actually tasted ok.

I listen to a 70s rock show most Thursdays and for a laugh last week I prepared a 70s meal of a Fray Bentos Steak and kidney pie in a tin, Smash instant mash and tinned processed peas. Better than we thought (unless my other half was being polite...)
Cor that sounds good G :p .. you just needed a bottle of Blue Nun to wash it all down ..